• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringHomeTheCup!

New DMan?

Rate this topic

This is for those of you don't think Markov is a big deal,

As an added bous there's a sweet move by Datsyuk in there.

i remember seeing that hit on TV earlier in the season.

wow!

and the datsyuk goal makes it all the much sweeter :clap:

Guest bullocks

I'm not against resigning Markov, but how many of those hits did he have all year? 1... :(

markov rocked someone is game five too against anaheim

he's a heavy hitter.

^ Once again I both agree, & disagree...Yeah in a no cap era we could bring in anybody Holland could sign, & Ilitch could write a check to...So what if De Vries gets signed by the Red Wings for a solid amount of $$$, but throughout training camp he's out played & ends up #7 on the list of Dmen - making more than guys like Quincey, Lebda, & Lilja? That $$$ is tied-up in a guy who's in the press box; doesn't bode well now does it?

This is why sooner than later (while Chelios, & Lidstrom are able to help the young guys out) we gotta get our young guys the experience they need...This is why Schneider needs to be re-signed for nothing more than $3.5 to $4 million max...This is why IMO after the 2007-2008 season Nick has gotta take a pay cut to around $5 million per season so we can use that extra $2.6 for a netminder (Dom gone & Howard not ready?), maybe another winger, or for signing Hank to a long term deal.

Holland can only afford so many top 4 Dmen; Kronwall, & Quincey are both projected to be "top 4 guys" & there's a outside chance Lebda has a shot @ being a #4 Dman too. These guys are entering their prime, & need to be groomed for the NHL level of hockey...Take a look @ the Maple Leafs; they spent HUGE $$$ on their D, but their forwards can't score - even if they were in a womens prison with handfulls of pardons...Gotta remember Markov wasn't a hot commodity - was signed a few weeks into July; playing with Lidstrom I'm sure helps make anyone look really good. I'm sure Quincey won't have any trouble playing to his size.

Our only other option to free up $$$ and to secure a known quality Dman is to find a buyer for Kronwall, but personally I'd rather keep him...Many guys along the likes of Markov will probably demand more $$$ than what Holland is willing to pay. We'll see in the next few weeks as to what our future holds.

If for one second you think that DeVries comes to Detroit and somehow not only manages to not make the top 2 pairs, but suddenly he is 7th on the depth chart, wow pass some of whatever you are smoking down here.

Realisticly speaking, DeVries will be available for under $1.5, tops $2 (just for reference, he made$2.05 last season). I would agree that those young Dmen need some NHL experience, but getting experience because you have the potential to be a top 4 Dman, and being a top 4 Dman are two different things. I don't think it would be wise to have more than 2 of the young guys in the line up on a regular basis. Lilja is a strong candidate for the 7th slot, with Kronwall and Lebda being the young guys, and Nick, Cheli, Matty (assuming he re-signs), and (for sake of this post) DeVries filling out the rest. You can count on Kronwall getting a splinter in his left index finger that will get infected and need to be surgically removed, causing him to miss 23 games. Quincey is going to be the 'next' young guy to come up, but he isn't ready. I would throw him and/or Lilja in the lineup when Cheli is rested, when Lebda plays like a retard, and while Kronwall is injured. That should be about 40-45 games to split up.

This 'outside chance' at Lebda being a top 4 guy. Let's get serious here, it is more like no chance.

Before Kronwall has any real chance of being a top 4 guy, he needs to make it through an 82 game season without injury.

Quincey just isn't ready yet. He didn't do to bad in the playoffs, but he wasn't exactly stellar either. Another year or two in GR wouldn't hurt this guy.

As I said before, DeVries should be available for about $1.5. Nick is getting $7.6, let's say Matty gets $3.5, and Krowall is getting $3. That is roughly $15 on our top 4. The Leafs have over $18 on their top 4. Not to mention our forwards are pretty solid. So I fail to see any real reason for comparison there.

And I'm glad you mention Markov. He wasn't highly pursued. Neither will be DeVries. And he could step right in and do everything Markov did, save a bit of offense. But he is also better in his own zone, and tougher.

To WiNgSowN: No, the only thing you can think Kronwall is due for is a mid to late season vacation lasting anywhere from 10-35 games, and potentially the entire playoffs.

I'm not against resigning Markov, but how many of those hits did he have all year? 1... :(

How many hits like that do most defenseman have in a season? The chances to get someone lined up like that are few and far between.

Dmen like Scott Stevens sure got his yearly quota...AND then some :lol:

...and I'm sure DeVries gets in a few big hits every game; just ask BringHomeTheCup! - he'll tell ya so :lol:

Well, Scott Stevens is a special case. :D

Markov > DeVries

I would agree, but haven't you heard - DeVries can be had for chump-change

Wouldn't that be for the better though? The more money we have available, the bigger and better trade deadline moves we can make. Besides that, even if a big name player isn't brought it, it's always better to have the extra Cap space to get anything for any problem players the team might have (ala last year with Jason Williams). The extra Cap room is very helpful, and de Vries can come cheaper, then by all means, give it a shot. He's not that bad either.

Guest bullocks

I'm not so sold on this DeVries idea. I havn't watched him to much, but i remember during a Leafs game Exelby rocked Sundin and Kilger tried to fight Exelby and DeVries came in the middle and dropped the gloves for him.

If DeVries can be had @ the paltry sum of $1.5 million - sure then sign him up...To be honest a #4 Dman such as DeVries isn't gonna come that cheap, & do the Red Wings really want to keep the young guys with potential on the bench, or in GR? Me thinks not.

Yeah, that's what I think. If DeVries is that cheap, why not? If he'll be more than that I'd rather go with someone already in the organization.