• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zeta Power 40

Yashin Bought Out

Rate this topic

I just heard about this on XM. Good riddance. Just another talented kid that played well and then went in the toilet after they got the big $$$.

I know he'll get picked up by someone but if I was a GM and was in desperate need of a centre I'd still stay away from this cancer.

Wang should've done it a long time ago. Two Summers ago would've been the ideal time with the provisions that came with the "new" NHL, but better late than never. That being said, think about the players you could add to your team with that $2.2 million hit that will just be wasted space for a while. Ouch.

Quite nice buyout.

Should we offer a contract for him?

He could be cheap, cause he is getting those buy-out money.

Another Center???? Kenny will love it. :P

I don't get it.

I din't think you could buyout players and take a decreased hit in cap space.

I didn't mean that.

I ment he could take personally less, cause he is getting those buy-out money (2.2 mil every year).

It will be that 2.2M against NY Islanders cap for next eight years. That bought-out will be only Islanders problem.

If we'll sign him (scenario) for the next season for example 3.0M, it will be that 3.0M against our cap, and that's it.

Yashin could get then 5.2 million per year to his own pocket, so he should be quite happy then. And I think Yashin for 3.0 mil is a bargain...

Edited by Henkka

So it's 2.2 M plus his 7.6M for a total of 9.8M againsts the cap?

Or will it just be 2.2M against the cap?

*confused*

Ok, you take the remaining total of Yashin's contract which was going to be $26.448 million for 4 more years. When teams buyout a 26+ year-old's contract they only have to pay 2/3 of it ($17.63 million) over double the length of the remaining contract. That means $17.63 million divided by 8 years comes to a $2.2 million dollar cap hit per season through 2015.

Comprende?

FYI: Contracts can be bought out for two-thirds of the remaining value for players over the age of 26, and one-third of the remaining value for players under 26. Players who are bought out cannot return to the old team for at least one year.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Ok, you take the remaining total of Yashin's contract which was going to be $26.448 million for 4 more years. When teams buyout a 26+ year-old's contract they only have to pay 2/3 of it ($17.63 million) over double the length of the remaining contract. That means $17.63 million divided by 8 years comes to a $2.2 million dollar cap hit per season through 2015.

Comprende?

FYI: Contracts can be bought out for two-thirds of the remaining value for players over the age of 26, and one-third of the remaining value for players under 26. Players who are bought out cannot return to the old team for at least one year.

It is not quite that simple, but in Yashin's contract, it does work out to a cap hit of $2.2 million each year of the next 8 years. There are 3 or 4 examples of how this works in the CBA.

If the contract was structured in a way that the amounts owing to a player were different each year (ie. $2 million first year, $3 million second year, $4 million fourth year), the cap hit after buyout would be impacted as you need to calculate the buyout savings, etc. It is complicated enough that it is difficult to explain here, but in Yashin's case, I believe he is owed $6.6 million each of the next four years, which would be the same as the cap hit each year. Since the buyout is $17.6 million, the savings are $4.4 million per year over the next four years (since they only need to pay $2.2 million vs. the previous $6.6 million). You would then take the original cap hit of $6.6 million, deduct the savings of $4.4 million to get $2.2 million. So the cap hit would be $2.2 million over the 4 years left on the SPC and then you would have an additional $2.2 million for 4 additional years.

I think it is a coincidence that it works out to the same $2.2 million for the full 8 years, I think in other circumstances it would be different.

It will be that 2.2M against NY Islanders cap for next eight years. That bought-out will be only Islanders problem.

If we'll sign him (scenario) for the next season for example 3.0M, it will be that 3.0M against our cap, and that's it.

Yashin could get then 5.2 million per year to his own pocket, so he should be quite happy then. And I think Yashin for 3.0 mil is a bargain...

I doubt Yashin would sign for $2.2 million less than market value simply because he is receiving buyout money.

It is not quite that simple, but in Yashin's contract, it does work out to a cap hit of $2.2 million each year of the next 8 years. There are 3 or 4 examples of how this works in the CBA.

If the contract was structured in a way that the amounts owing to a player were different each year (ie. $2 million first year, $3 million second year, $4 million fourth year), the cap hit after buyout would be impacted as you need to calculate the buyout savings, etc. It is complicated enough that it is difficult to explain here, but in Yashin's case, I believe he is owed $6.6 million each of the next four years, which would be the same as the cap hit each year. Since the buyout is $17.6 million, the savings are $4.4 million per year over the next four years (since they only need to pay $2.2 million vs. the previous $6.6 million). You would then take the original cap hit of $6.6 million, deduct the savings of $4.4 million to get $2.2 million. So the cap hit would be $2.2 million over the 4 years left on the SPC and then you would have an additional $2.2 million for 4 additional years.

I think it is a coincidence that it works out to the same $2.2 million for the full 8 years, I think in other circumstances it would be different.

Yashin was set to make $7.6, $7.6, $6.384 and $4.864 over the next 4 seasons, respectively. So, the fact that he's not paid the same amount each year doesn't seem to have a factor in this. It's the total buyout and the years remaining on the contract that hold the bearing on buyouts.

How did I not calculate the buyout savings? All you did was restate what I said in a roundabout way, which will easily confuse people. Let's say Yashin had a contract that had 3 years remaining at $8 million per (Total: $24 million), and he gets bought out. So, now the team buys him out for $16 million. So, $16 mil divided by 6 years (3 for the remaining length of the contract, which is then doubled to spread out the caphit for twice the length of the remaining contract) comes to a $2.666 mil cap hit for each of the next 6 years. Now the savings from what would have been $8 million per to $2.666 million per is now $5.333 million, which is the same difference as Yashin's current contract (I.E. $4.4 - $2.2 = $2.2 or 50%, $8 - $5.333 = $2.667 or 50%). No matter how you slice it, the buyout savings will always be double the cap hit that the team will take on a yearly basis.

All you did was complicate the way you explained what I already had. The way I explained it is easier to understand and the correct numbers come out to be no different at the end then the way you explained it.

Finally, as a result Yashin will be paid by Wang the entire remainder of his contract, but obviously only $2.2 per year for the next 8 years will count against the Isles cap number.

Edit: Spelling & somewhat better clarity ;)

Yashin was set to make $7.6, $7.6, $6.384 and $4.864 over the next 4 seasons, respectively. So, the fact that he's not paid the same amount each year doesn't seem to have a factor in this. It's the total buyout and the years remaining on the contract that hold the bearing on buyouts.

How did I not calculate the buyout savings? All you did was restate what I said in a roundabout way, which will easily confuse people. Let's say Yashin had a contract that had 3 years remaining at $8 million per (Total: $24 million), and he gets bought out. So, now the team buys him out for $16 million. So, $16 mil divided by 6 years (3 for the remaining length of the contract, which is then doubled to spread out the caphit for twice the length of the remaining contract) comes to a $2.666 mil cap hit for each of the next 6 years. Now the savings from what would have been $8 million per to $2.666 million per is now $5.333 million, which is the same difference as Yashin's current contract (I.E. $4.4 - $2.2 = $2.2 or 50%, $8 - $5.333 = $2.667 or 50%). No matter how you slice it, the buyout savings will always be double the cap hit that the team will take on a yearly basis.

All you did was complicate the way you explained what I did. The was I explained it is easier to understand and the correct numbers come out to be no different at the end then the way you explained it.

Finally, as a result Yashin will be paid by Wang the entire remainder of his contract, but obviously only $2.2 per year for the next 8 years will count against the Isles cap number.

Edit: Spelling & somewhat better clarity ;)

Have a look at the examples in the CBA, it is more complicated. When I look at your Yashin example, where he gets $7.6, $7.6, $6.3 and $4.8, I think the cap hits after buyout would actually be $1.6, $1.6, $2.8, $4.3 and then $2.2 for the next 4 years (total of $19.1, which is greater than the $17.6 buyout).

Have a look at illustration #2 on page 207 of the CBA.

lmao this is hilarious ........now the islanders are screwed for 8 seasons hahahaha , man that yashin signing was the worst thing they ever did lmao

I don't know, they did save themselves about $10 million in cash + time value since it is being paid over a longer period.

They also saved themselves close to $20 million in cap space over the next 4 years. Yes, they will be hit with $2.2 million for the 4 subsequent years, but that's not too bad.

Have a look at the examples in the CBA, it is more complicated. When I look at your Yashin example, where he gets $7.6, $7.6, $6.3 and $4.8, I think the cap hits after buyout would actually be $1.6, $1.6, $2.8, $4.3 and then $2.2 for the next 4 years (total of $19.1, which is greater than the $17.6 buyout).

Have a look at illustration #2 on page 207 of the CBA.

For everyone's reference, I did a "print screen" so people that are following along can view it a little easier.

IPB Image

This page further proves what I'm saying. The key here is the word "average". Even if a player's contract differs from year to year, it still comes down to the average amount paid per year over the total amount of years remaining on the contract. If you really want to figure out what the "per year" difference would be, go ahead. However, it won't do you any good since the league recognizes cap hits for buyouts on an average basis over the course of the buyout.

In other words, the team makes out a little better in the beginning of the buyout, but get the league makes up the difference on the tail end of the contract buyout.

I don't know, they did save themselves about $10 million in cash + time value since it is being paid over a longer period.

They also saved themselves close to $20 million in cap space over the next 4 years. Yes, they will be hit with $2.2 million for the 4 subsequent years, but that's not too bad.

what are you talking about saving 20 million in the next 4 years ????? they basically save like 9 million from buying him out and then they gotta take a cap hit of 2.2 per season for the next 8 years ...........LOL

what are you talking about saving 20 million in the next 4 years ????? they basically save like 9 million from buying him out and then they gotta take a cap hit of 2.2 per season for the next 8 years ...........LOL

They would've had to pay Yashin $26.45 million over the course of the next 4 years. Instead they bought him out, which will cost the team $8.8 million in total cap space over the next 4 years. The *team* will save $17.65 million, which is what toby_91 was referring to.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

SIGN YASHIN?!??!?! FOR $2.2?!?!?! THAT IS THE WORST IDEA I'VE HEARD THUS FAR THIS OFFSEASON!!!!! HE ISN'T WORTH A BAG OF PUCKS!!!!

I'm in no way advocating signing Yashin, I think he's a cancer. Talented but a cancer regardless.

However

Yashin

34 years old

58 games 18 goals 50 points +6

Fedorov

38 years old ?? (maybe 37)

73 games 18 goals, 42 points -7

If Yashin ain't worth a bag of pucks then Feds ain't worth the bag or the pucks. Maybe one, but not both. :P

I know, I know, Yashin isn't 1/2 the two-way players Feds is. I'm just point out that Yashin, despite his troubles, IMO based on his age and production is a more valuable player than Feds.

Oh, and I like breaking your balls because you're such a devout Fed fan.

Cheers!

When will Isles buyout DiPietro? :lol:

Actually, if Wang wanted to he could buyout DiPietro before September 19th, and because of Dip's age the cap hit would only be $666,667 per year for the next 28 years. Funny to think about the Isles having a guy on the books through 2035, but it wouldn't be that huge of a loss to the Isles' *team* if they bought him out. That being said, if Wang bought him out right now, it would cost him $18.667 million.

:lol: Good for a quick laugh.