• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
canadienhater

the wings should not go after smyth

Rate this topic

Smyth is better then Holmstrom IMO.

Hes a leader , 30+ goal scorer , gritty is a playoff guy.

Having both of them would be great.

They SHOULD go after Smyth , He'd be a huge addition to the Wings

Hes a leader , 30+ goal scorer , gritty is a playoff guy. ------------you just described holmstrom ;) lol

i wouldnt mind having smyth if there was no cap but we cant have him now because of the cap ,zetterberg in 2 yrs will get a raise ........franzen cleary filppula lebda .......all those guys will eventually require a raise and if listrom is playing and still making 5+ a season that will be impossible if we have him with smyth zetterberg and datsyuk ......so smyth is not an option

Smyth would be a welcome addition if we could afford him. End of story. Imagine having him and Homer on the top 2 lines, goalies would go nuts and defences would really be stretched thin.

I agree not likely going to happen but he would compliment the team really well, I think.

Stevie Y should invite him to his cottage and talk some sense into him over some beers this Summer. lol

I definitly think obtaining Smyth would be the stupidest move Holland could make. In the highly unlikely event that he will get signed how could Holland or anyone from the wings think that 2 lines worth of front net excellants would be a good idea. How could one team bogart the two best goalie obstructors and deflictors in the league. That would be ludicris.

(sarcasm) :yowza:

I really hope Wings do not sign Smyth. He is so one-dimentional. And if it works nice with Homer and his 2M salary, it would be a complete disaster to have Smyth for 7M for exactly the same type of play. In this particular case I really hope we do not have enough money. Plus, I do think that Homer is better.

OsGOD you have offically lost your mind, but it's cool cause i don't think i laugh more than reading your posts.

Blow me down! I have not lost me mind. I be knowin' right whar it be.

Smyth would be a welcome addition to any team including this one. and 5 years ago he would have been coming here no question. If Kenny can get it done I would be astounded, that being said I just don't see it happening. Kenny and co's post salary cap history would show that the Wings no longer go after the big name players look at Luongo, Guerin, Thachuk, Smyth the last time he was available, no they prefer to let these teir 1 players get signed to their huge contracts, or watch teams trade away 20 draft pics and 3 prospects. Instead they wait and look for the bargains, Hasek, Markov, Johnson, (although he didn't play) Calder, (arguably not the best bargain) and finally Bertuzzi.

I would love to have Smyth but if recent history is any indicator it's not in the cards for us.

Guest Crymson

I believe that we have in homer just as good a player for less money

Agreed. He's a great player, but this is not the old days; we have a limited amount of cap space and we need a different sort of player than he is.

Smyth is better then Holmstrom IMO.

Hes a leader , 30+ goal scorer , gritty is a playoff guy.

Having both of them would be great.

They SHOULD go after Smyth , He'd be a huge addition to the Wings

Let's go down your list.

Holmstrom: Leader? He's a role model, that's for sure.

Holmstrom: 30+ goal scorer.

Holmstrom: Gritty. Grittier than Smyth. That's for sure. NOBODY gets as much in the way of praise for hard work and punishment taken in front of the net than does Holmstrom, and rightfully so.

Holmstrom: Playoff guy. Indisputable.

I fail to see how Homer, who also comes at probably 1/3 Smyth's price, is inferior.

Having both of them would be great.. that goes without saying. Do we have limited cap space? Yes. Do we have a need for a different type of player than is Smyth, a fact mitigated by the fact that we already have Homer? Yes.

Not a good plan.

I definitly think obtaining Smyth would be the stupidest move Holland could make. In the highly unlikely event that he will get signed how could Holland or anyone from the wings think that 2 lines worth of front net excellants would be a good idea. How could one team bogart the two best goalie obstructors and deflictors in the league. That would be ludicris.

(sarcasm) :yowza:

The next time you decide to ridicule someone, you might try to avoid writing like a moron whilst doing it.

Ludacris.. hahaha.

Edited by Crymson

First off, to get this out of the way. I am not bashing Homer, I love him and everything he brings to this team.

For all of those who claim Homer is a 30+ goal scorer, are we all talking about Tomas Holmstrom who wears 96 and plays for Detroit? Because last I knew of it he has never netted more than 30 goals. In fact, he has only gotten 30 once. Yeah, two years ago he had 29, but not only is 29 not 30, it's also not 30+. And am I the only one who recalls all the commentary during the games at how surprised everyone was that Homer might net 30 goals? To call homer a steady 30 goal scorer is nuts. The guy is a great presence in front of the net, and his chemestry with the Eurotwins is something else. But the guy averages 16 goals a year. There is a reason you don't see Homer on the PK unit. What is expected of Homer is to stand in front of the net, and occasionally work in the corners.

Smyth, on the other hand, can be called a 30+ goal scorer, he has accomplished this freat 4 times in his career. For comparison, Smyth averages 23 goals a year. Smyth can be depended on to do everything Homer does, and more. Smyth is a presence in the locker room, a leader on and off the ice. He is one of the most respected guys in the league. Smyth can handle the puck, something which Homer needs a lot of work on. Smyth is a power forward, a little fireball, that plays with more passion and heart than just about any other player in the NHL. A guy like Smyth is the type of character guy that the Wings love to sign. Add into the mix that he wants a Cup, badly. Smyth is a man of unquestioned integrity, heart, anbd dedication. He is the perfect rolemodel. On a team with some many young guys on the verge of making the roster, Smyth's value to the Red Wings would be nearly unmeasurable.

All things aside, unless Smyth is willing to take about half of what he can get from other teams, he will not be wearing the winged wheel next season. Nor should he be. Signing Smyth, Giggy, or any other teir 1 UFA would severly limit what Kenny can do in terms of signing Hank, Flip, Nick, ect. The only reason why the Wings shouldn't pursue Smyth is they simply can't afford him. But there is no question, he is better than Holmstrom. If you can't see that, take off the Homer lenses (no pun intended).

Guest bullocks

First off, to get this out of the way. I am not bashing Homer, I love him and everything he brings to this team.

For all of those who claim Homer is a 30+ goal scorer, are we all talking about Tomas Holmstrom who wears 96 and plays for Detroit? Because last I knew of it he has never netted more than 30 goals. In fact, he has only gotten 30 once. Yeah, two years ago he had 29, but not only is 29 not 30, it's also not 30+. And am I the only one who recalls all the commentary during the games at how surprised everyone was that Homer might net 30 goals? To call homer a steady 30 goal scorer is nuts. The guy is a great presence in front of the net, and his chemestry with the Eurotwins is something else. But the guy averages 16 goals a year. There is a reason you don't see Homer on the PK unit. What is expected of Homer is to stand in front of the net, and occasionally work in the corners.

Smyth, on the other hand, can be called a 30+ goal scorer, he has accomplished this freat 4 times in his career. For comparison, Smyth averages 23 goals a year. Smyth can be depended on to do everything Homer does, and more. Smyth is a presence in the locker room, a leader on and off the ice. He is one of the most respected guys in the league. Smyth can handle the puck, something which Homer needs a lot of work on. Smyth is a power forward, a little fireball, that plays with more passion and heart than just about any other player in the NHL. A guy like Smyth is the type of character guy that the Wings love to sign. Add into the mix that he wants a Cup, badly. Smyth is a man of unquestioned integrity, heart, anbd dedication. He is the perfect rolemodel. On a team with some many young guys on the verge of making the roster, Smyth's value to the Red Wings would be nearly unmeasurable.

All things aside, unless Smyth is willing to take about half of what he can get from other teams, he will not be wearing the winged wheel next season. Nor should he be. Signing Smyth, Giggy, or any other teir 1 UFA would severly limit what Kenny can do in terms of signing Hank, Flip, Nick, ect. The only reason why the Wings shouldn't pursue Smyth is they simply can't afford him. But there is no question, he is better than Holmstrom. If you can't see that, take off the Homer lenses (no pun intended).

i agree with what you said. but do u sign smyth as that missing piece that can put us over the top. or make us a for sure lock to be there again next season. we might lose nick anyways after next year if he retires. and i think flip will be a RFA for a bit so he won't command big bucks. by the time we re-sign Z the cap should go up.

I believe that we have in homer just as good a player for less money

I agree , Smyth's a good player but in Homer we've got a player that plays the same way . The Red Wings would be better off spending their money on Re-signing's and a couple of player's instead of blowing it on just the one.

Guest bullocks

I agree , Smyth's a good player but in Homer we've got a player that plays the same way . The Red Wings would be better off spending their money on Re-signing's and a couple of player's instead of blowing it on just the one.

he's also good at missing a wide open net 3 feet out :lol:

Guest jaytan

Smyth and Holmstrom are not "the same player". Where did this myth start, anyway? Is it just because they're both good in front of the crease?

As a total player, Ryan Smyth is twice as good as Holmstrom (I hate to sound like I'm speaking ill of him, since he's an excellent player for us). I'd love to see BOTH of them in Wings sweaters.... However, it's unlikely that we'll get Smyth these days, so I'm not too worried about it.

i agree with what you said. but do u sign smyth as that missing piece that can put us over the top. or make us a for sure lock to be there again next season. we might lose nick anyways after next year if he retires. and i think flip will be a RFA for a bit so he won't command big bucks. by the time we re-sign Z the cap should go up.

If it comes down to it, I'd take Nick 11 out of 10 times over Smyth. I think the fact that Nick is wearing the 'C' now should keep him here for a few more years.

I don't think the cap is going to raise enough to have about $24-$28 tied up in 4 players. Especially with Krowall making $3, (if signed) Matty will make at least $3, and by that time we will need a top tier goaltender. Regardless who it is, he won't come cheap. Even if it is Howard, he will be paid at lead $2-$3. That would be roughly $33 tied up in 7 guys. Signing Smyth would be mortgaging the future of the Wings for a possible 'win it next year' type of run.

no let bert, calder, lang, and schneider go.....

Go with

Filp(.850) Dats(6.7) Homer (2.250)

Kopecky(*.900?) Zetts(2.7) **Harnell / Zubrus (2.2)

Cleary (.675) Draps (2.128) Malts (.883)

Franz (.900) Hulder (*1.?) Sammy (1.2)

Lids (7.6) Kron (1.5)

Lil (1.) Lebda (.550)

**Whitney (1.5)[/u] Cheli (*1.)

Ozzy (.800)

**Giggy (5.5)

Total 33.186 [u]**42.386

Sign Goalie Giggy 5.5

Winger Hartnell or Zubrus 2.2

D Man Ryan Whitney 1.5

Total 42.386, and still room for trades!

Guest bullocks

If it comes down to it, I'd take Nick 11 out of 10 times over Smyth. I think the fact that Nick is wearing the 'C' now should keep him here for a few more years.

I don't think the cap is going to raise enough to have about $24-$28 tied up in 4 players. Especially with Krowall making $3, (if signed) Matty will make at least $3, and by that time we will need a top tier goaltender. Regardless who it is, he won't come cheap. Even if it is Howard, he will be paid at lead $2-$3. That would be roughly $33 tied up in 7 guys. Signing Smyth would be mortgaging the future of the Wings for a possible 'win it next year' type of run.

yah i'd rather take nick too. i'm not as big as gettin smyth as other ppl, i think theres a cheeper solution anyways.

Guest Crymson

He's all of the above, but we have enough money for one big player and he is not a player of the type which we need.

I know you're all nostalgic back to the days in which we could go out and buy Smyth ON TOP OF the strong, physical slot forward which we need, but remember that those days are no longer with us. Saying "this guy is good" is no longer a reason why we should sign him; rather, these days, it's "this is the player we need to spend our cap space on." Smyth is not that player.

Note that your comparison of goals scored is irrelevant, as Homer has proven that he is a top performer in the "new" NHL. He has matched Smyth in production in the two years since the lockout. Any surprise at this on the part of color analysts is irrelevant.

he's also good at missing a wide open net 3 feet out :lol:

Have you anything GOOD to say about Homer?

Edited by Crymson

Smyth and Holmstrom are not "the same player". Where did this myth start, anyway? Is it just because they're both good in front of the crease?

As a total player, Ryan Smyth is twice as good as Holmstrom (I hate to sound like I'm speaking ill of him, since he's an excellent player for us). I'd love to see BOTH of them in Wings sweaters.... However, it's unlikely that we'll get Smyth these days, so I'm not too worried about it.

I agree that Smyth is a good player, but I think what we all mean is that Homer can do a lot of similar things that Smyth can do. The money would be better spent somewhere else.

Guest bullocks

Have you anything GOOD to say about Homer?

yes, but that image still haunts me to this day.

We won't get him. The Isles probably are going to pick him back up now that they've mailed their letter of intent via dumping Yashin... so expect him back in NY.

There aren't any players in the NHL who do what Holmstrom does in front of the net, but from what everybody tells me, Smyth really is a more complete player than our guy. Hate to say it, but Homer ain't that hot on puck handling.

The next time you decide to ridicule someone, you might try to avoid writing like a moron whilst doing it.

Ludacris.. hahaha.

Typing, Crym. I can't believe you'd be so loose with verbs!