• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jiri the man

Will the ducks be here next season

Rate this topic

Ducks are too deep to not make it back. They'll be a top seed.

Exactly. This was touched on in the gameday thread. Penner and Perry will continue getting better and better, Getzlaf will turn into a star, Kunitz and McDonald have been around but are not old. On defense, theres Beauchemin who is extremely underrated. Then you have Bobby Ryan, the 2005 #2 overall pick, who lit up the OHL. They have way too much young talent to have a drop off. This team isnt going anywhere.

Guest MrSandMan

I doubt the Ducks will be this lucky two straight years in a row.

I'm calling it a one year wonder--

Exactly. This was touched on in the gameday thread. Penner and Perry will continue getting better and better, Getzlaf will turn into a star, Kunitz and McDonald have been around but are not old. On defense, theres Beauchemin who is extremely underrated. Then you have Bobby Ryan, the 2005 #2 overall pick, who lit up the OHL. They have way too much young talent to have a drop off. This team isnt going anywhere.

The Ducks currently have 11 players (7F, 3D, and 1G) signed for next season to the tune of 28m. Giguere can expect 6m, Selanne will command another 4m-5m when bonuses are factored in (hit the cap for 6 this year), and Penner and Moen will combine for around 2m. That's 40m, 41m when you add in Bobby Ryan, spent on 11F, 3D, and 2G. They may be able to bring back most of their squad next season, but in the sumer of 2008 Getzlaf and Perry hit RFA, and Kunitz and Bryzgalov hit UFA. That's probably an increase over current salaries ranging from 5-7m between all of those players, possibly more.

In other words, the Ducks willl ikely stay mostly togethr short term, but in a couple years we'll see some pretty significant moves to avoid cap issues.

Guest MrSandMan

The Ducks lost 5 games the entire postseason...luck my ass. Get over it.

Good point. The league needs to take a look at their cheating ways and make sure they call it next year, it is literally ruining NHL.

Lockout for what? For the Ducks to ruin hockey.

Plus they'll have around 20mil in cap space to play with

The Ducks currently have 11 players (7F, 3D, and 1G) signed for next season to the tune of 28m. Giguere can expect 6m, Selanne will command another 4m-5m when bonuses are factored in (hit the cap for 6 this year), and Penner and Moen will combine for around 2m. That's 40m, 41m when you add in Bobby Ryan, spent on 11F, 3D, and 2G. They may be able to bring back most of their squad next season, but in the sumer of 2008 Getzlaf and Perry hit RFA, and Kunitz and Bryzgalov hit UFA. That's probably an increase over current salaries ranging from 5-7m between all of those players, possibly more.

In other words, the Ducks willl ikely stay mostly togethr short term, but in a couple years we'll see some pretty significant moves to avoid cap issues.

I can agree with that. In a couple years, there will be some contract/ cap issues for sure. But i dont think Burke is afraid to deal any of them if it came down to it. Either way, they have a foundation for a great team over the next 4 or 5 years.

Guest MrSandMan

I have a strong hunch that Ducks and Tampa Bay will be fighting for 8th seed next year.

Anyone who thinks the Ducks won't be really good for at least a couple more years just doesn't know hockey. Congrats Ducks, well done.

selanne will retire and giggy might not be back....."might" ...........i dont think theyll be back in the final 4 , it means we'd face them again if they make it to the final 4 theres nothin else id want more then to beat the living crap out of that fluke team ,i couldnt watch tonights game , the thought of seeing those losers lifting the cup makes me wanna throw up so im just not paying attention to the sports channels ill just wait till the draft, july 1st for ufa's and then next season

Anyone who thinks the Ducks won't be really good for at least a couple more years just doesn't know hockey. Congrats Ducks, well done.

Agreed.

Definitely difficult to repeat, but the Ducks will be back in the playoffs next year. If they aren't one of the top 4 seeds in the WC next season, I'll be surprised.

I don't think the Ducks will win it again next year, though, I think they're quite capable of doing so. It's entirely up to them. They're good enough and though some call them cheaters, is it their fault? It's up to the refs to call penalties and if they choose not to, then the Ducks and any other team is going to go for more to get away with. But the Ducks will make the playoffs and could be a top four seed or, they can suffer a Cup hangover and not go anywhere. I do know they have some players I wish the Wings had or wish the Wings had upcoming players that are similar.

I can agree with that. In a couple years, there will be some contract/ cap issues for sure. But i dont think Burke is afraid to deal any of them if it came down to it. Either way, they have a foundation for a great team over the next 4 or 5 years.

Yeah, but the fact remains is they will likely either lose Giguere this summer, or be forced to give up a significant amount of depth to preserve the remainder.

They only beat the Wings this year because the Wings were missing two of their top three defensemen. Had the Wings had Schneider for the conference finals, the Wings are the Cup champions because their power play would have been much more potent.

Anaheim also stayed basically injury-free through the playoffs. The Wings had some seasons where the Cup was a very real possibility if not for key injuries; this season, 1999, and 2001 come to mind as notable examples where an injury free playoff would have resulted in the Wings with a very strong chance at the Cup.

For the most part the Ducks' stars are only going to get better and they still have Bobby Ryan waiting. Pronger and Niedermayer are locked up for four more years. They'll make the post-season for a while.

The good news is what has already been mentioned. They're young players are all going to be stars and they're going to have some cap issues. Plus, Burke has traded most of the clubs high picks. They'll be good for a couple years then probably slip to mediocrity.