• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Jiri Hudler - Would you have played him more?

Rate this topic

First off, this isn't a rip into Coach Babcock, I think he's played a major part in installing mental toughness/desire in this team and this season proved that the Wings should still be serious Cup contenders.

Jiri Hudler though, I (like most others I am assuming) is a tough lad to figure out at least when it comes to either being in the doghouse of Babcock or higher up.

Granted I barely follow any minor league hockey at all so this might be an unfair assumption, but when he had his brief tenure with the Wings in 2003-04 when he was only 19 (?), I really thought he struggled.

While I didn't have a super-sized microscope focused on his play coming into this season to judge immediately whether he was going to be great or he was going to stink up the joint, I didn't think much of him one way or the other in a positive or negative fashion.

But, he produced for the most part in his first full year of NHL duty. 15 goals, 25 points with limited ice time and he maybe seems to have some decent potential to maybe be a solid 2nd liner down the road if he keeps working.

Would you have given him more ice time in the regular season?

How about the playoffs? Would you have played him more maybe than Filppula (assume the playoffs didn't stat yet and before we saw that Flipper pretty much exceeded any playoff expectations I think) or another forward that might have been low on the depth chart? Would you have put Hudler in over Kopecky in the Ducks series?

Does Babcock really have something against him? Or is limited his ice time good, and forces Hudler to contiunally work hard and bust his tail off?

The fan in me wanted him to get some more playing time obviously, but I think I understand Babcock's handling of him in making him work for his minutes, because he is still very young and he probably doesn't have much trouble staying motivated.

Not to rip on Hudler.... cause he is a talented Hockey player. I just don't think he is NHL material. (size and skating)

Will he ever be? I'm thinking he's never going to be an impact on this team and Detroit should find a way to trade him off.

But I dunno, I like the kid. I just don't think he's a good fit for this team.

:rolleyes: In his first REAL oppertunity, he scored 15 goals for the season in about 10 minutes per game. Without doubt NHL material.

This is a pretty tough call. Hudler always did struggle with his skating and his (lack of) defensive awareness. Both were significantly improved this season. Good enough to play regularly all season and in the playoffs? I think in a lot of our opinions, yes, over guys like Samuelsson and Lang. But obviously none of us are NHL coaches, Babcock either saw something he didn't like or didn't see things he wanted to see in Hudler. I was pretty surprised though, when Kopecky found his way back into the lineup before Hudler in the Ducks series. I know Kopecky is bigger and tougher, but he hadn't played in months, and a broken collarbone isn't an easy injury to recover from.

I have no doubt anymore that Hudler will be a solid NHLer. Maybe not here, but somewhere. He is small and is not a good skater, but he has a nose for the puck and can score, which are tools a lot of players don't have. He'll just always have to work on his skating and make sure he doesn't take any shifts off, do the most he can with the icetime he's given, and force his way into the lineup.

2nd line might be a stretch, Hudler is probably best suited to the 4th line on a team that rolls 4 lines, seeing 10-12 minutes a game. However, the Wings are loaded with 3rd- and 4th-line type forwards, so he may be able to sneak onto a top-2 line. It's worked for Holmstrom...

I have my doubts as to whether Hudler can ever be any sort of impact player in the NHL.

He shows flashes here and there, but I don't know how he'll hold up over a full season getting quality minutes.

He has the skill, but is very small and seems to lack the competitive fire at times.

I can't think of anyone (Sammy included) in the Wings line-up that I would bench in favor of Hudler at this point...

I see you highlighted "Not NHL Materiial" but you failed to highlight "size and skating". Why?

How many playoff goals does he have?

I failed to highlight it because it’s obviously not the be all and end all considering the seasons he just had. Yes he’s small and his skating is far from ideal, but he puts the puck in the net, that’s all you can ask for really.

He's played 6 playoff games in his career, and averaged like 9 minutes per game. How many goals would you have expected him to score? And besides, 2 points in 6 games isn’t a bad return.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

I disagree. As Mr Bowman and Coach Babcock know Defensive awareness is the #1 factor. Scoring is a mear 2nd.

Don't you remember why Scotty Bowman Ripped Stevie Y's ass back in the day?

I'm standing by my firm to my opinion. Hudler's skating and size is an issue. Talent alone isn't enough to cut it in the NHL.

Seriously, that is the most overrated argument on this site. He was +16 for the season, how then can you possibly question his defensive awareness? 15 goals and +16; not a bad combination if you ask me.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Seriously, that is the most overrated argument on this site. He was +16 for the season, how then can you possibly question his defensive awareness? 15 goals and +16; not a bad combination if you ask me.

+/- is by far the most over-rated statistic in sports.

Some examples:

Jagr was a +26 this year, you wanna tell me he plays solid defense?

Peca, a forward known for his defensive awareness was a +2 this season.

Madden, perhaps one of the best defensive forwards in the league was a -7 this season, as was Fedorov, another forward known for his 2-way play...

Hudler has some talent. That talent will likely keep him in the NHL at some capacity...I have serious doubts that it will do much more than that, and doubt even more that he'll spend his whole career here...

You can argue his +16. But then again anyone can argue the Wings (as a while) are arguably the best Defensive team in NHL. Not to mention that I saw Lidstrom save Hudlers' fanny a few times.

Lang had a +12 for crying out loud!

Is there even a Detroit Red Wings player with a negative +/- rating in 2007?

Put Hudler on a team like PHOENIX or WASHINGTON and see what his stats are.

Now you’re officially clutching at straws.

Why bother saying put Hudler on a team like Phoenix or Washington as it's just pointless.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

:rolleyes: In his first REAL oppertunity, he scored 15 goals for the season in about 10 minutes per game. Without doubt NHL material.

I agree , he may be small but he's proven that he can score at NHL level . I think he could get better if he was given more TOI.

Good season , I hope someone gives him an offer sheet ( a good team ) so we can get something good for him and his career can really start.

Would I played him over Filpula , No I wouldnt have , I've liked Flip since last season in GR. Plus he's 5'11/6'0 , good size.

Would I have played him over Kopecky in the ducks series , Nah , Kopeckys 6'3 with some talent , he was pretty good in the series. I just dont see Hudler being an impact player here.

The thing with him and Babs , I have no idea , Babs like heart , skill , size and desire. Hudlers 2/4 in those Categories.

The harded he works , the better he'll be when he gets a team that has faith in him and hes expected to be a top liner.

Some small players do well in the NHL. Sullivan and Theo Flury are a couple of examples. Sullivan has blazing speed and Flury had grit/fire. Both of these players are not afraid to go to the net.

Hudler is a small and slow player that has skills. He knows where to be, and can pass the puck.

IMO, I doubt if Yuri will ever be an impact player. He looks timid out there in the sea of giants. And his lack of grit and speed will keep him on the fringe of being a regular.

Now, if he had the speed and skill of Samsonov, well, then that would be different.

He's too small. While I did at first, I later didn't mind Babcock not playing Hudler, as his size would have made him completely ineffective out there.

I would like to see the Wings shop him around, or just have him go back to Europe. No offense to his skill, but this team needs more size. We don't need players that will be pushed around like a paper bag, and that's exactly what will happen to Hudler here when we play big teams like Anaheim. I'd like to see the Wings shop him around, and maybe bring in a good prospect or draft pick for him, then sign someone like Aaron Asham, Brad Isbister, or Jason Wiemer, to give this team size and someone willing to drop the gloves.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Looking back at our post season, I have to say the wings did very little wrong to end up loosing. The biggest factor I can think of is failing to take advantage of power plays, and I'm pretty sure we have 6 forwards that are clearly better and more reliable than Hudler on the PP

Hudler's situation right now is a win-win in my book. Either we keep him and have a decent 2nd or 4th line winger or we get something in return. i like him and think he'll do well in the NHL. Just put him with somebody that can give him some space.

In 2002, Jiri Hudler was the Wings' 1st choice (altho in round 2); 2nd choice (also in the 2nd round) was Tomas Fleischmann, who has since been traded; and Valtteri Filppula was the Wings' 3rd choice (in round 3). At the time that the Wings' drafted Hudler someone at the draft said that the Wings' may have gotten "the steal of the draft." Based on that assessment, I've had high hopes for Hudler and still do.

Hudler is the same height and weight as Martin St. Louis, who has already won a scoring trophy. St. Louis's average for the last 8 years is 22+ goals a year; compare his playing time with Hudler's, and Hudler's 15 goals.

Babcock just has something against Hudler, whether it's personality or performance, I don't know, but I think that fact is obvious.

I never get to see Red Wing games, but I read somewhere that Hudler had gotten pushed off the puck in the erarly stages of the playoffs and that's why Babcock wasn't playing him (the size issue).

Nevertheless. I hope Hudler stays, and disproves his critics.

Davy Jones' locker aye i would 'ave played that young lad more. He had naught but heart 'n definitely would 'ave made a huge difference in th' first 15 mins o' th' final game... At least he would 'ave played like he wanted t' be thar.

I think he can be a solid 2nd liner. Give some pp time as well. Kid had 96 points in the AHL at 21. Does he need to continue to work on his strength and skating? Of course,but he does have a place in the NHL.

Hoodlum isn't afraid to go the net, especially for a little guy, and could be the sniper the Wings need (for those wanting Kozlov back).

I haven't seen enough of the guy to really get a feel. But considering how Babcock talks about him and plays him, there's gotta be some truth to his defensive liability, his lack of skating and effort at times. It seems that if you're over 6'1" and 200 lbs, Babs is much more willing to tolerate those deficiencies.

With out a doubt its his lack of size. That is why Kopecky played in Game 6, Kopecky can hit and play like Calder and Cleary, Hudler will have to make some changes to his game to play here in Detroit, I would hate to see him go, but right now the only way he plays is if someone is injured or has the night off, the best he going to get is 10 to 12 minutes per game.

Yar - me agrees...Captn' Babcock looks upon wee Hoodlum as a scurvy riddled penguin from thar North Sea - yar!

May he be better off walkin' th' plank than droppin' anchor in thar City O'Motor...Yar!

Ye be natterin' like a pirate, but ye don't 'ave yer colors showin' (tab in yer signature) t' identify ye as me crew. Are ye workin' fer th' government? or are ye wantin' t' join me bunch o' misfits.

I just don't think he is NHL material. (size and skating)

I'm sick of the 'he's too small' excuse. Look at St.Louis, Sullivan, Gionta..etc. All 'small' players that put up big numbers, are huge assets to their teams, and make a difference. Size has nothing to do with it. If you can play then that's all that should matter. Jiri is very skilled, and he showed that with his very limited ice time. Put him on one of the first two lines, and you'll see him dominate. Also, people talk about his size as if he'd get trampled out there. Am I the only one who noticed that Huds isn't afraid to drive to the net, or get his nose dirty? He's pretty darn feisty, and I think some go overboard and think the guy is a wuss or something. No such thing in my eyes.

So basically, yeah I think the Wings should have played him much more.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Alright don't get me wrong I love Jiri Hudler, and I think that he can become a great player in the NHL, and I always have and always will support the guy. BUT I don't know where he fits on the Wings. Our forwards next year are as follows

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Homer

Franzen-Filpulla-Samuelsson

Cleary-Draper-Maltby

Hudler-Kopecky-Grigorenko

Those are just the guys under contract except Hudler who is an RFA....The if the price is right we could bring back the Tuz, plus all the talk of brining in Kozlov,. the odd men out are really in that scenario Hudler is the first guy out because Babcock likes Kopecky more than he likes Hudler. I think that after this season, his trade value is high and that we should really trade his rights for a draft pick or in a package deal, because he really is the odd man out even though I love the guy.

Yarr - me a'been astray far too long fer me own good...Tis do me best t'call yee Captn' - Yarr...Sailin' seas fer booty tis me way - Yarr!

Ahoy aboard. Th' poppet Offsides has provide a tab that ye place in yer signature when ye join me crew (check out her Sig/Ava thread in th' water cooler). Go 'n place it in yer sig, ye be now part o' me LGW crew.