• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

When was your first Wings game at the Joe?

Rate this topic

Since I don't live in Detroit, I'm still waiting. I've been to several Red Wings games in Washington since I only live 2 hrs away from there, though. Then again, I used to be a Caps fan before they did some things that I didn't agree with. My wife has been to several games (she's from Michigan) and is a huge fan so it's in the works.

Mine was October 96' against the L.A. Kings, Shanahan's first game as a Red Wing. He scored his 1st goal as a Wing in the 1st period, but my dad was stuck in traffic around Troy and we missed it, but I did get to see he 2nd goal and Yzerman's goal (they won 3-0). I remember parts of that game, but I remember my 3rd game alot better, it was later that season on March 26th.

...then you should've remembered the fight Shanny also got into. He barely made it to the Joe in time to play after he had been traded from hartford...

...my first game was WAAAYYY back in 1979. I was only 9 so I don't remember much, I do remember them re-hanging Gordie's #9 that night. I am not sure of anyting else, oh yeah I do remember the tickets were free because they could barely get anyone to come to watch them play...

My first game was in 1991...I think. It was against St. Louis. I remember the Wings won like 13-5 or something crazy. Cheveldae was in net for the Wings, and both St. Louis goalies gave up 6 goals each, or something like that. I have the ticket stub around here somewhere, can anyone remember this game? I'd like to know exactly when it was, and maybe find the scoresheet for the game. It was a great game to see, being my first one @ the Joe. I would have been 9 or 10 years old at the time.

my family could never afford to get tickets when i was younger, so when i got a job about a year and a half ago, i started buying tickets. and so far ive gone to 3 games. ( Dallas, columbus x2 )

And the first game i want to was the wings first shootout!!

my first game was, kind of sad to say, this year against Buffalo

had a lot of fun even though we lost

it will more than likely be my last game at the Joe too, since I'm going out to Iowa for college soon :(

March of 2007.

Best friend and I did the Nashville "home and home".

Wings won both games - epic.

Got intoxicated and rode the people mover train thing to Greektown. Eat dinner. Drank more. Went outside to find that people mover closes @ midnight. Homeless guy volunteers to flag us a cab. We accept. It takes him a few minutes. I tip him a couple bucks for the favor.

We enter the cab, tell him we're at the Holiday Inn Select. We drive 3 freaking blocks. Had we not be so intoxicated we might have noticed that part..

All in all - good times.

My first game at the Joe was towards the end of the 79-80 season against Toronto. Detroit had just moved to Joe Louis Arena and my friend's dad got some tickets through Kroger. They had a block of tickets in the upper bowl. Detroit was already eliminated from the playoffs and I don't remember the score, but there were a couple of fights and plenty of penalties. The most memorable moment was Reed Larson punching some Maple Leaf player and knocking him down with one punch while the ref was up ice. The ref didn't see a thing but the fans sure enjoyed it. Reed got a standing O.

1979, the day after Christmas, my grandpa was bored and wanted something fun to do, so he took all of us guys to the game, He called and hour and half before the game, and got 5 tickets in the lower bowl. They lost to St.Louis 2-3. Ahhh the good old days! :lol:

Ack, I've been trying to avoid this thread as long as I can, but it keeps popping back up. Unfortunately my first game at JLA was Game 5 of the 2004 WCSF's. My idol gets his orbital socket shattered and the Wings lose 1-0. Depressing as hell for a first game (at JLA anyway). My first game ever was during the 2002 season at the Ex. The Wings beat the Wild 2-0. Great first game to go to!

FYI: I've been to around 20 Wings games (only two of which were at JLA), and the Wings are roughly 17-0-1, and the two times I've seen them at JLA they are 0-1-1. Figure that one out. Granted I always see the Wings play the Blackhawks since the United Center is only 3.5 hours away or the Wild since the Ex is 4.5 hours away. Detroit is about 9 hours so its a little more than a day trip. :(

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

...then you should've remembered the fight Shanny also got into. He barely made it to the Joe in time to play after he had been traded from hartford...

I do not, and that's because I've been mis-informed. For some reason my dad said it was Shanahan's first game as a wing, but it wasn't. The first one I went to was October 21st, 1996 (and yeah, his first was when redwingslady87 said it was). I got bored and found the score sheet for it too ^_^

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores96/96295/96295309.htm

Also for every game in 96-97 if anyone cares:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/shn/shn607sc.htm

My first game at the Joe wow that was back in the early 80s I believe that it was against the Leafs I was sitting 10 rows up behind the Wings bench with my uncle A.E. Wisne and a couple of his buddies one of them was Nick Libbit, and the other was Joe Kalucka ( I probably butchered that last name ) I was there designated driver for the night. It was an experiance hangin around with a couple of the oldtimers some the stories that they were telling boy what a night I will never forget it.

January 2, 2007 was ALMOST my first JLA game. I was ready to buy plane tix and everything, but even on e-bay everything sold out very quickly after tickets were released. I will just have to settle for cheering the Wings on here in Colorado. The locals love that. :D

First game was in December of 84, can't remember all the details, I was only 4

Last game at JLA 1/2/07 don't have to say much about that one

FYI: I've been to around 20 Wings games (only two of which were at JLA), and the Wings are roughly 17-0-1, and the two times I've seen them at JLA they are 0-1-1. Figure that one out. Granted I always see the Wings play the Blackhawks since the United Center is only 3.5 hours away or the Wild since the Ex is 4.5 hours away. Detroit is about 9 hours so its a little more than a day trip. :(

I've had the same experience- I probably saw the Wings 30 or 40 times at JLA from the early 1980s until 1997 when I moved to Colorado, and I'd say they weren't better than .500 in the games I saw. I swear, I've seen them lose to the Stars like 6 times at the Joe.

OTOH, I've been to maybe ten games at McNichols and the Can in Denver, and we only lost once- in the preseason.

But, I lived in SoCal since last August- before coming back to Colorado a month ago- and the Wings went 0-3 in two games at Anaheim (sux) and one in LA. Freakin' LA, fer chrissakes!!!!

Weird. Hope the good mojo continues now that I'm back here in Dive-land.

My first game at the Joe wow that was back in the early 80s I believe that it was against the Leafs I was sitting 10 rows up behind the Wings bench with my uncle A.E. Wisne and a couple of his buddies one of them was Nick Libbit, and the other was Joe Kalucka ( I probably butchered that last name ) I was there designated driver for the night. It was an experiance hangin around with a couple of the oldtimers some the stories that they were telling boy what a night I will never forget it.

I hit Lee Norwood in the ankle with a fairway shot when I was about 12. It was sweet.

His illustrious career went straight into the s***ter after that. :P

I can't remember the year, but I saw the wings play buffalo in a preseason game in Detroit. Nothing to report about the game, but we won.

One time I saw Detroit in Chicago, also in the preseason. This game was awesome. I remember Thibault had the puck, and he threw it out to his left. Not even noticing Fischer standing behind the goal (Why was he there?). Fischer slammed it into the net. I think there were more wing's fans there cause the whole place erupted in THIBAULT chants!!! it was halarious. I went there with a group of my friends. As we are leaving (walking out in our wing's jearsys) a bunch of black hawk fans started yelling Red Wings suck. We just started yelling Thibault again. Shut them up fast. Definitly my best expirience at a wing's game. Oh, we won that game! :thumbup:

my first game was a playoff game in '78. i remember that they won, so it most likely against atlanta. it was a last minute thing. my dad came home with 4 tickets, and he took me and two of my friends. i remember thinking the seats would be sweet because of the row number. they ended up being the last row before the press box. that was actually fun for us, we didn't have to sit, we could joke around a little more, all because there was no one behind us. by the way, i was 8 years old. i wasn't able to see another game in person until the last playoff game against san jose in '94. that game i sat three rows behind the bench. the sharks owner sat right in front of me. he didn't like sitting in the suite. dino c. was a beast that game. he spent all of his time on the bench leaning over and taunting someone on the sharks bench. it was cool. aat the end on the game mac gave his stick to one of the guys that was at the game with me. all very cool.

NFM#25 - i was the same, i've been avoiding writing in this thread for some reason. oh well.

k.

November 16, 1996 vs. Colorado. First matchup between the rivals after the Draper/Lemieux incident. Clod was injured unfortunately, so my hope for retribution that night would have to wait... I'd say it all turned out alright in the end :) Wings lost 4-1, and Kozlov scored my first goal (from Yzerman and Fedorov)

Guest Shoreline

I've only attended Wings games in the HP Pavilion (I shouldn't need to explain why :P) -- but family up there in Redford and Dearborn promises when I come down we're going to a Wings game, so I gotta specifically plan for a trip during the season.

Also, it seems every time I visit Michigan, I get sick. Just not used to the weather.