• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

skatergod247

Big Crowd For Stanley Cup Rally

Rate this topic

That's an embarrassment.

That is very embarrassing. What happened to all the Ducks fans saying they really do have a big following? And yes the Honda Center holds between 17-18k I believe. And this was a Saturday night. Not like it was a week day, which people in this town still came out since all 3 parades were on weekdays and there was over a million people at those. I was thinking maybe 40-50k would show up. Which is still bad but less people than your arena holds? Come on! Big following there guys! And some people were asking why the NHL shouldn't be in certain markets. This is a great example.A team wins the cup and no one is there for the rally. What excuses can the big Ducks fans use now?

I've been trying to tell everyone that no one here in CA cares that the ducks won. It's not a huge deal here. It's VERY sad and it sucks. It's awful for the sport of hockey no matter how you look at it.

If it had been the Kings - it would've been an ENORMOUS deal... the ducks, not so much.

Breaks my heart.

I found it humourous when the ducks owner ( name slips my mind) made fun of Canada because they couldnt call themselves Hockeytown anymore... Bearring in mind Canada isnt a city or town...and that a US city already holds that title... I imagine it would help if one knew the market in which they participated.

It's pretty rough... I'm sure Duck fans who care do care more than that pitiful number represents, but yeah, Anaheim is definitely not a hotbed for the NHL. It's why I've got this year "blanked out"--because who cares?

It's almost like a mini-lockout where hockey never happened. So sad.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nh...keytown_redder/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sport...s/celebrate.htm

I e-mailed the LA Times writer, Helene Elliott, who wrote the article a few weeks ago about Detroit and Anaheim's love for hockey. She responded with:

As for the Ducks' celebration, it was not a parade. It was a party in the parking lot. If you need that for consolation, go ahead, be my guest.

Have a nice summer.

Helene Elliott,

Sports Columnist,

Los Angeles Times

Oh, sorry, party. Not parade. Is that supposed to be an excuse?

Guest Crymson

I think thats less then the Honda Center Holds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2899454

thanks to whom ever fixed my spelling error.

I do recall that we drew one million in 2002, grossing some $5m for the Illitches.

Good job, Bettman, in expanding hockey to truly insignificant markets.

Edited by Crymson

I e-mailed the LA Times writer, Helene Elliott, who wrote the article a few weeks ago about Detroit and Anaheim's love for hockey. She responded with:

Oh, sorry, party. Not parade. Is that supposed to be an excuse?

:lol: honestly all this talk from people saying that Detroit is no longer Hockeytown makes me laugh. so your team has won the cup, so? You dont have as big of a following as Detroit and if the Ducks do bad next year, then should they still be the "new" Hockeytown? Excuses such as we didnt sell out all playoff games and all that are a load of crap, Michigans economy is crap people dont want to spend a hundred dollars on playoff tickets. People just dont have the disposable income. but dont get me wrong I am all for people loving the sport of hockey no matter what team they are rooting for. As long as there is a hockey team in Detroit, it will always be Hockeytown.

That LA Times writer is full of excuses.

I remember times in the 97, 98, 02 run where after games in the FINALS there were roughly 10-15,000 *not including the ones at the game of course* outside after games celebrating at Hockeytown Cafe, and the local bars near by.

The fact that the 'party' was outside says enough. If it inside the Honda then that's one thing because you can only fit so much, but don't anyone tell me you can't have more than 15,000 OUTSIDE. I don't buy it.

I was under the impression there were 20K. People left earlier due to traffic and got there late due to traffic. We're not going to turn out one million people, but 15K isn't a small crowd. Just because the entire state of California didn't show up doesn't mean we don't deserve it.

And there wouldn't have been any more people if the Kings had won it. The people who own the Kings just don't give a damn, ask their fans.

That LA Times writer is full of excuses.

I remember times in the 97, 98, 02 run where after games in the FINALS there were roughly 10-15,000 *not including the ones at the game of course* outside after games celebrating at Hockeytown Cafe, and the local bars near by.

The fact that the 'party' was outside says enough. If it inside the Honda then that's one thing because you can only fit so much, but don't anyone tell me you can't have more than 15,000 OUTSIDE. I don't buy it.

Where the party was, it's not the largest area in the world. I'm not making an excuse for it only being 15K, but we couldn't fit the '1 million' that showed up to your parade.

I was under the impression there were 20K. People left earlier due to traffic and got there late due to traffic. We're not going to turn out one million people, but 15K isn't a small crowd. Just because the entire state of California didn't show up doesn't mean we don't deserve it.

And there wouldn't have been any more people if the Kings had won it. The people who own the Kings just don't give a damn, ask their fans.

No on says the Ducks didn't deserve it due to the low amount of fans there. I actually feel kinda bad. When a team wins a championship, and for the first time ever, the whole state should be celebrating!

No on says the Ducks didn't deserve it due to the low amount of fans there. I actually feel kinda bad. When a team wins a championship, and for the first time ever, the whole state should be celebrating!

:lol: San Jose and LA would never cheer and they were around longer. That's one of the MANY MANY MANY reasons why the Wings have so much support. They don't have any other teams to deal with in the same state, let alone within an hour of each other. We're divded between three teams and the Ducks are the youngest. Add that up and we kinda end up with less supporters. SJ gets NoCal all to it's self and LA and the Ducks have to battle over SoCal.

I would have been there, but I couldn't afford a plane ticket and I had a game yesterday during the celebration.

we have 3 teams in california....ill be honest mass majority of people in So Cal, like the kings...the people that were there were die hard fans....its sad only 15,000 but for the ones that showed up, im happy bout it...as long as the people that showed up were happy then im happy....

:lol: San Jose and LA would never cheer and they were around longer. That's one of the MANY MANY MANY reasons why the Wings have so much support. They don't have any other teams to deal with in the same state, let alone within an hour of each other. We're divded between three teams and the Ducks are the youngest. Add that up and we kinda end up with less supporters. SJ gets NoCal all to it's self and LA and the Ducks have to battle over SoCal.

I would have been there, but I couldn't afford a plane ticket and I had a game yesterday during the celebration.

This is a pretty valid point. The hockey fans California does have are divided, if Anaheim was the sole team you'd see alot more people there. Obviously Sharks and Kings fan arent going to go to a Ducks Cup rally. It would be like expecting Spartan fans to attend some Wolverines championship parade.

Guest Crymson

Yes, if we had two other teams in close proximity splitting the fanbase, our parade would have--if we took the population which attended the last parade and divided it by three--garnered a mere ~400K.

How many times does 15K divide into 400K?

I do believe many are rather amused at St. Elliot's comments about Anaheim being the new hockeytown.. hahaha. Classic.

Edited by Crymson

Yes, if we had two other teams in close proximity splitting the fanbase, our parade would have--if we took the population which attended the last parade and divided it by three--garnered a mere ~400K.

How many times does 15K divide into 400K?

I do believe many are rather amused at St. Elliot's comments about Anaheim being the new hockeytown.. hahaha. Classic.

Since the population of California is roughly 3 time that of Michigan makes it a little sadder :(

I believe Tampa had a parade with about 50,000 (not sure) and they have a couple teams. :huh:

Edited by TEX-WING

The local report here said 20,000. Regardless, that's a freking joke. This is not a hockey town. Never has been, never will be. People do not live and die with the Ducks here. It's not water cooler talk the next day, it doesn't even take the lead three stories on the news the night of the final win.

People here find out they have a successful team, and they get excited "GO SPORT" "BEAT THOSE OTHER GUYS". This woman I know here told my wife "How bout my Ducks?" (knowing we're Red Wing fans)My wife says "Yeah, they're pretty good this year, and doing well in the playoffs", the woman replies "The playoffs have already started?". No kidding

I don't care how bad you say traffic is on a Saturday afternoon in the OC, a million + people in downtown Detroit stiffles the whole city. Less roads, less infrastructure. People parked miles away and walked.

In a land of 12-13 million people, you can scrape together 20,000? I stand behind VladyIBELIEVE16 when she says that no one cares here.

...and let's not bring San Jose and LA into this. There's two baseball successful teams in the area as well, and that doesn't deter from their fanbase at all.

In short, I saw the news report, I shook my head ,and put on the Wings / Avs March 97 bloodbath game on DVD and remembered what hockey should be.

Just curious how many people showed up for the 2002 Anaheim Angels World Series Championship celebration? I'm sure with all the established teams in LA (Lakers, Dodgers, and Kings), it was a tough sell to get people to cheer for the Ducks, Clippers, and Angels