• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dixie Wingslover

Latest Conspiracy theory

Rate this topic

I know, I know; conspiracy theories are rife, and come out of no where.... but I have been asking myself, why oh why and what benefit would the little worm reap if a really poor market won the Cup????? well, always remembering that he is a LAWYER, and will manipulate any situation to his advantage..... This article is posted on MSN....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6886714

gave me an aha! moment :flash:

According to reports in the New York Post and Calgary Herald, the PA could request a five percent increase in next season's salary cap  as per their right under the current collective bargaining agreement  should league revenues for the 2006-07 season reach $2.36 billion

If revenue falls below that $2.36Billion mark, well, then Bettman gets to keep the Cap that keeps his job with the owners.... his arguement all along has been he brought in the Cap to save the owners check books..... at $52 Milliion, aren't we right back where we started?????

But...... if a really small market team won the cup..... like Ottawa or even better, Anaheim.... how many people/fans would run out and buy that Stanley Cup t- shirt????? how many in a large market??? Don't know about you guys, but in '02 I spent $300, Fiance spent about same, brother blew $600, parents spent probably $100..... and I would bet we were not alone. - all on licensed merchandise- we supported our team. That adds tremendously to league revenues. Buffalo is another hockey crazy market that would have sent the revenues over the top. How much do you think Anaheim will add to league revenue?????

This guy while stupid is not dumb. He is a contract lawyer, and has been scheming how to save his tail since Saskin was canned.

Not hard to do the math..... large strong market = million plus people spending lots of $$$$ versus 15,000 people not as enthusiastic spending.

Edited by Dixie Wingslover

I know, I know; conspiracy theories are rife, and come out of no where.... but I have been asking myself, why oh why and what benefit would the little worm reap if a really poor market won the Cup????? well, always remembering that he is a LAWYER, and will manipulate any situation to his advantage..... This article is posted on MSN....

If revenue falls below that $2.36Billion mark, well, then Bettman gets to keep the Cap that keeps his job with the owners.... his arguement all along has been he brought in the Cap to save the owners check books..... at $52 Milliion, aren't we right back where we started?????

But...... if a really small market team won the cup..... like Ottawa or even better, Anaheim.... how many people/fans would run out and buy that Stanley Cup t- shirt????? how many in a large market??? Don't know about you guys, but in '02 I spent $300, Fiance spent about same, brother blew $600, parents spent probably $100..... and I would bet we were not alone. - all on licensed merchandise- we supported our team. That adds tremendously to league revenues. Buffalo is another hockey crazy market that would have sent the revenues over the top. How much do you think Anaheim will add to league revenue?????

This guy while stupid is not dumb. He is a contract lawyer, and has been scheming how to save his tail since Saskin was canned.

Not hard to do the math..... large strong market = million plus people spending lots of $$$$ versus 15,000 people not as enthusiastic spending.

Konspiratsia, absolut. To give a little perspective:

NHL officiating is worlds away from the bloc judging that married the Oly's of the past several decades, or the judging collusion of recent memory.

Yeah, officiating abuses NEVER happen. At least not until they're caught redhanded at it, and there is media outcry that cannot be ignored (Sale-Pelletier, anyone?)(Pronger, anyone?)

Thank all your skating gods that Speedy has nothing to do with hockey.

OR DOES HE........?

Edited by RedRockit

ANAHEIM, Calif. – The National Hockey League (NHL) announced today that the Anaheim Ducks recorded a $15.38 merchandise per capita (average dollars in sales per person) for the first two games of the Stanley Cup Final. Those figures are up 75.4% over the average per capita in the 2006 Stanley Cup Final (Carolina, $9.26 and Edmonton, $8.28) and 81.6% over the average for the 2004 Stanley Cup Final (Tampa Bay, $8.56 and Calgary, $8.38).

“Our fans have proven all season that hockey is alive and well in Southern California and this is another example of that,†said Anaheim Ducks Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer Tim Ryan.

Following the renovation of the Anaheim Ducks Team Store (November 2005), the club began a new era by changing their name, logo and color scheme on June 22, 2006. The new look and identity of the Ducks were a collaborative effort, mixing opinions of fans as well as Ducks players, ownership and management. Ducks merchandise is available to fans at 15 locations at Honda Center, including 11 concourse stands, three outdoor tents and the Team Store. In addition, merchandise can be purchased at three other key retail outlets that include Sportmart, Chick’s Sporting Goods and Sport Chalet. Fans have responded to the Ducks’ new look as merchandise sales at the Team Store were up 236% during the 2006-07 regular season.

I'm no marketing genius, but any company I know of would love to have % increases like that.

Remember, we have so much money out here that our season ticket holders can choose not to show up to games. Imagine how they'll spend their money now that we're the Stanley Cup champions. ;)

ANAHEIM, Calif. – The National Hockey League (NHL) announced today that the Anaheim Ducks recorded a $15.38 merchandise per capita (average dollars in sales per person) for the first two games of the Stanley Cup Final. Those figures are up 75.4% over the average per capita in the 2006 Stanley Cup Final (Carolina, $9.26 and Edmonton, $8.28) and 81.6% over the average for the 2004 Stanley Cup Final (Tampa Bay, $8.56 and Calgary, $8.38).

“Our fans have proven all season that hockey is alive and well in Southern California and this is another example of that,†said Anaheim Ducks Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer Tim Ryan.

Following the renovation of the Anaheim Ducks Team Store (November 2005), the club began a new era by changing their name, logo and color scheme on June 22, 2006. The new look and identity of the Ducks were a collaborative effort, mixing opinions of fans as well as Ducks players, ownership and management. Ducks merchandise is available to fans at 15 locations at Honda Center, including 11 concourse stands, three outdoor tents and the Team Store. In addition, merchandise can be purchased at three other key retail outlets that include Sportmart, Chick’s Sporting Goods and Sport Chalet. Fans have responded to the Ducks’ new look as merchandise sales at the Team Store were up 236% during the 2006-07 regular season.

I'm no marketing genius, but any company I know of would love to have % increases like that.

Remember, we have so much money out here that our season ticket holders can choose not to show up to games. Imagine how they'll spend their money now that we're the Stanley Cup champions. ;)

On 'Lord Of The Dance" tickets?

$15.38 per capita X 15,000 capita = $230,700

$9.26 per capita X 75,000 capita = $694,500

Capita matters.

The increase, it can be argued, was not from new or newly enthusistic fans, but from a change of logo, colors, and design. I suspect that compared to other teams who have redesigned it may not be all that stand out.

So people there are buying Ducks season tickets as some sort of status symbol? Wouldn't a BMW make a more effective statement?

"Hey John, isn't there a Ducks game tonight?"

"Yeah, but instead of going I'm going to burn my ticket so I can in turn light a $100 bill, and then use that to light my cigar"

"Yeah, life sure is sweet in the OC!"

I always thought people purchase season tickets because they like the team. :rolleyes:

Edited by Izzy24

$15.38 per capita X 15,000 capita = $230,700

$9.26 per capita X 75,000 capita = $694,500

Capita matters.

The increase, it can be argued, was not from new or newly enthusistic fans, but from a change of logo, colors, and design. I suspect that compared to other teams who have redesigned it may not be all that stand out.

Capita is stated as the number of people attending the game, not the rally. Read what it says "The first two games of the Stanley Cup playoffs"

And the Stanley Cup merchandise has nothing to do with the new Ducks logo...that was a marketing blurb about their store.

Maybe it's been so long since your team has been in the SCF that you've forgotten what Stanley Cup Final merchandise looks like, but it has the big Stanley Cup all over it, usually with the two opposing teams' logos and the year that the SCF is taking place. The majority of people are buying game pucks, SCF patches, blow-up Stanley Cups, etc. Souvenirs of the SCF, not the new Ducks logo; that was months ago.

And now they're waiting for the license plate frames, new coffee cups, new T-shirts, new picture frames, etc. The SCF logo on everything is going to make the Ducks logo change look like chump change.

Edited by hockeymom95

Capita is stated as the number of people attending the game, not the rally. Read what it says "The first two games of the Stanley Cup playoffs"

And the Stanley Cup merchandise has nothing to do with the new Ducks logo...that was a marketing blurb about their store.

Maybe it's been so long since your team has been in the SCF that you've forgotten what Stanley Cup Final merchandise looks like, but it has the big Stanley Cup all over it, usually with the two opposing teams' logos and the year that the SCF is taking place. The majority of people are buying game pucks, SCF patches, blow-up Stanley Cups, etc. Souvenirs of the SCF, not the new Ducks logo; that was months ago.

And now they're waiting for the license plate frames, new coffee cups, new T-shirts, new picture frames, etc. The SCF logo on everything is going to make the Ducks logo change look like chump change.

Oh here comes the we've been in the finals the last # of blah blah blah.

...Maybe it's been so long since your team has been in the SCF that you've forgotten what Stanley Cup Final merchandise looks like, but it has the big Stanley Cup all over it, usually with the two opposing teams' logos and the year that the SCF is taking place...

The Red Wings may not have been in the Stanley Cup Final the last five years (oh, the humanity!) but I can still spot a jackass when I see one.

I hate it when people talk like this. Any sort of thought of a conspiracy is a joke.

Take this hypothetical for a test drive.

Bettman says, I want Atlanta to win the Cup. So he holds a meeting and tells all refs and others involved in the game (goal judges, ect.) to call everything Atlanta's way.

How is this going to ensure an Atlanta Cup victory? That's right, it can't. It still boils down to the players playing the game.

If anything, the suspension of Pronger should point away from any sort of conspiracy.

You want to talk conspiracy, click here

The Red Wings may not have been in the Stanley Cup Final the last five years (oh, the humanity!) but I can still spot a jackass when I see one.

Thanks for that, Matt. I thought I was just being insecure and paranoid and oversensitive in my reaction to that.

Welcome to my insecurely paraniod world-- it's fun here, they really ARE out to get us, you know. :hehe:

HMom, I think most people here are acutely aware of what SCF mdse looks like-- for instance, I have 3 gold-rimmed coffee cups next to my computer holding pens and various sundries. One reads "Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup Champions 1997"-- another, "Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup Champions 1998"-- and yet a third says "Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup Champions 2002."

How many cups do you have? :P

Edited by RedRockit

HMom, I think most people here are acutely aware of what SCF mdse looks like-- for instance, I have 3 gold-rimmed coffee cups next to my computer holding pens and various sundries. One reads "Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup Champions 1997"-- another, "Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup Champions 1998"-- and yet a third says "Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup Champions 2002."

How many cups/Cups do you have? :P

Ooooo, Burn!!! :clap:

To quote, with a little modification, the great (really he was, it's okay to admit) Patrick Roy:

"I really can't hear what [HockeyMom] is saying, 'cuz I got my [three] Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears."

:P

Ooooo, Burn!!! :clap:

To quote, with a little modification, the great (really he was, it's okay to admit) Patrick Roy:

"I really can't hear what [HockeyMom] is saying, 'cuz I got my [three] Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears."

:P

Izzy-- NEVER EVER mention me in the same breath as Patrick Roy again, 'kay?

Don't make me come over there and hurt you...

:lol:

Funny, my friend and I were discussing PR earlier tonight. We don't agree on a whole lot about hockey (a Sabres fan, she loathes the Wings, and THINKS LIDSTROM IS OVERRATED?!), but we started reminiscing about all the famous and infamous PR moments, and got to laughing so hard we couldn't talk anymore.

Miss him.... isn't that weird? Jiggy wasn't nearly as much fun.

Edited by RedRockit

at $52 Milliion, aren't we right back where we started?????

No, because going into the lockout player salaries were at 75% of league revenues. The cap, even at its highest potential point, doesn't allow for anything remotely near that percentage. Your assumption that the same raw number for salary means the cap solved nothing is wrong, because you fail to realize that the revenue number of 2.36B would be about 25% more than the league made in 2003-04. You are going on your false belief that the league is doing worse financially when it is actually doing BETTER.

Waiting? what a shame....... the last THREE times the Wings won the Cup, by 8 am the following morning I was able to go to any one of many/several street corners and purchase all of those items, as well as locker room shirts, hats, $50 polos with the year, Stanley Cup Champions-Detroit Red Wings- EMBROIDERED on them. And did..... In fact, many stores opened at 6 am, now that I think of it..... and I did not live in Detroit. Actually, I lived 70 miles away.

Also....... anybody out there can back me up on this....... NOBODY bought stuff with the other teams name on it -

My Dad up in Kalamazoo said that game One of the Finals was the lowest rated Finals game in televised history. Something like only 23,000 in the ENTIRE STATE of CALIFORNIA watched it....while there was more than that in the CITY of Buffalo that turned the t.v. on.

Did anyone else hear about that? It was in the Kalamazoo Gazette...but I haven't checked MLive or google'd it yet...but I was curious if that was the truth.

No, because going into the lockout player salaries were at 75% of league revenues. The cap, even at its highest potential point, doesn't allow for anything remotely near that percentage. Your assumption that the same raw number for salary means the cap solved nothing is wrong, because you fail to realize that the revenue number of 2.36B would be about 25% more than the league made in 2003-04. You are going on your false belief that the league is doing worse financially when it is actually doing BETTER.

Ummmm, let's see.... in 2003 a gallon of gas = $1.69; in 2007 a gallon of gas $3.47

in 2003 gallon of milk = $2.50; in 2007 $5.00

Adjusted dollars?

Inaccurate reporting by ownership???? For all the money they reported losing..... not too many have been willing to sell their teams and get the hell out, have they?

My Dad up in Kalamazoo said that game One of the Finals was the lowest rated Finals game in televised history. Something like only 23,000 in the ENTIRE STATE of CALIFORNIA watched it....while there was more than that in the CITY of Buffalo that turned the t.v. on.

Did anyone else hear about that? It was in the Kalamazoo Gazette...but I haven't checked MLive or google'd it yet...but I was curious if that was the truth.

LA Times reported on the overall ratings.... what the Gazette reported seems consistant with the Times.

At least he doesn't break the doors off it's hinges ;) Or whatever he did...

Hey...... a little crazy is not such a bad thing in a hockey player..... especially a goalie. Terry Sawchuk was not all there, and well, Probie.... :) Besides.... the way I heard it..... he literally ripped both sides of hardwood french doors off the wall. A classic. :clap: I always knew he was a little bipolar.......

Guest jaytan

The Ducks obviously got a merchandise boost this season from their re-branding (as did Buffalo). Add into that the fact that Southern Californians are known to be fair-weather fans, and you can understand why the per-capita merchandise number rose. Also, Calgary and Edmonton may have been in the last two Cups (relatively small market teams, even if they have more dedicated fans), their opponents were pretty new teams from down South.

I wonder what the numbers were for Detroit-Philly.

The Ducks obviously got a merchandise boost this season from their re-branding (as did Buffalo). Add into that the fact that Southern Californians are known to be fair-weather fans, and you can understand why the per-capita merchandise number rose. Also, Calgary and Edmonton may have been in the last two Cups (relatively small market teams, even if they have more dedicated fans), their opponents were pretty new teams from down South.

I wonder what the numbers were for Detroit-Philly.

Yeah, I do too, interesting thing though.... when you start to look for financial info on hockey clubs..... it just is not there. I can find for NBA, and NFL..... heck, even probably for NASCAR, but very little for hockey. I can tell you I found an article on the best selling jerseys and numbers.... and as of last year, the majority of the ten were retired players. Something really wrong with that. Indicates a lack of excitement by fans for the game as played today.

I can tell you I found an article on the best selling jerseys and numbers.... and as of last year, the majority of the ten were retired players. Something really wrong with that. Indicates a lack of excitement by fans for the game as played today.

On a side note: Until Joey Harrington was drafted, Barry Sanders was the most common jersey sold.

As far as finding NHL money numbers... better luck finding Hoffa