• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zeta Power 40

Sundin agrees to one year deal

Rate this topic

Not a surprise actually, it was rather a question of time. Good deal for Leafs anyway, though 5-and-not-any-more-million a year would sound beter to me if I was a Leafs' fan.

I like Sundin, an i don't think 5.5 is to much. he's there captain so maybe he's not just being payed for his playing skills but his leadership too. plus he is the leafs image right now, they dont got to much elce.

Guest Crymson

How is saving a million in cap space a ridiculous signing?

Some people would rather forego the actual "facts" and simply insult the deal, for two reasons:

1) To look like they actually know what they're talking about, thus putting themselves up.

2) To put someone else--JFJ and the Leafs in this case--down.

5.5 for Sundin is actually perfect. Sundin is a great player who scores clutch goals when needed. He doesn't make alot of mistakes and has great leadership, also great on the PP. The guy's just surrounded by a team of underachieving losers.

Sundin for 5.5 means a contender can have him for a small cap hit at the deadline, probably for Forsberg, Guerin, and Tkachuck type returns.

Toronto will be last season's St.Louis, and might actually be good in 6 years.

Sundin has a NTC in his new contract. Even if the Leafs suck again, who's to say he waives it come deadline time.

Guest bullocks

Sundin had a club option and the cap hit on it was $6.33 mill. The club declined it and re-signed him to a one-year deal thus saving almost a million. Sundin is worth $5.5 for what he brings to the table.

76 points, in 75 games last year on a team he has nobody to play with, but u guys are right...such a s***ty deal.

Edited by bullocks

I don't think 5.5 is too much for Sundin. The Leafs are willing enough to pay him anyway, he's one of few bright spots on the team.

I just really feel badly for him, he's a great player and he's wasting his last years of NHL life in that s***ty organization.

If I heard that Kenny had signed him away from Toronto for 4.5-5 mill I'd be turning cartwheels right now...

..almost, but you get the point.

Sundin has a NTC in his new contract. Even if the Leafs suck again, who's to say he waives it come deadline time.

He could be very tradeable at the deadline, if the Leafs are sucking next season. NTC is just nothing, if he'll have a chance to win cup somewhere. And I think the Leafs will suck, and Sundin could be that RIGHT HANDNESS piece that is missing from our team. Just think what an upgrade he could be over Lang.

Guest bullocks

He could be very tradeable at the deadline, if the Leafs are sucking next season. NTC is just nothing, if he'll have a chance to win cup somewhere. And I think the Leafs will suck, and Sundin could be that RIGHT HANDNESS piece that is missing from our team. Just think what an upgrade he could be over Lang.

i think the leafs make the playoffs next season. they missed by one point this year while having the most man games missed in the league. leafs have cap space, theyll get a top winger for him. i doubt he's traded at the deadline, he wasn't this year.

Just like that, huh?

First and foremost, as of right now, he is not "very tradeable" at the deadline. The guy has a NTC and a No-Movement clause in his new contract, but yeah, "very tradeable". Of course he could waive it, but there are players out there that only want to win a Cup with the team they played with all season rather than being a rental player and taking the easier route to the Cup. To some people, that means a great deal. Sundin has always seemed to be one of those people.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Guest DetroitIan

Its stunning that the Leafs gave him 5.5 mill. Don't get me wrong, his skill, size and leadership abilities make him a very coveted player. But not for 5.5 a year. I would love to see him in the Winged Wheel. But for no more then 4 mill a year at the most. If that. This is just another case of the Leafs front office making stupid decisions. It will never end.

Guest bullocks

Its stunning that the Leafs gave him 5.5 mill. Don't get me wrong, his skill, size and leadership abilities make him a very coveted player. But not for 5.5 a year. I would love to see him in the Winged Wheel. But for no more then 4 mill a year at the most. If that. This is just another case of the Leafs front office making stupid decisions. It will never end.

You'd only pay a player who averages a point a game, $4 million? wow!! ur right, sign smyth for $5 plus, drury for the same, but a player who puts up better numbers, who is dominent on the puck, and one of the best leaders in the game $4 million...makes no sense to me.

Guest DetroitIan

You'd only pay a player who averages a point a game, $4 million? wow!! ur right, sign smyth for $5 plus, drury for the same, but a player who puts up better numbers, who is dominent on the puck, and one of the best leaders in the game $4 million...makes no sense to me.

First off, I wouldnt pay smyth or drury any more then 4 mill. And second, the Leafs are Sundin's team, yet from year to year HE can't get HIS team to even make the post season. What has it been like 4 or 5 years or so?? Smyth and Drury actually help get their squads to the playoffs. In this new NHL, the only way Im wanting to pay a player more then 5 mill a year, is if he shows up in the playoffs, and is 30 or younger. Other then that, I wouldnt even think of spending almost 6 mill on Mats.

Just like that, huh?

First and foremost, as of right now, he is not "very tradeable" at the deadline. The guy has a NTC and a No-Movement clause in his new contract, but yeah, "very tradeable". Of course he could waive it, but there are players out there that only want to win a Cup with the team they played with all season rather than being a rental player and taking the easier route to the Cup. To some people, that means a great deal. Sundin has always seemed to be one of those people.

With that NTC, he'll be in Detroit Swedish communnity before you can notice, if he wants to do it.

And with no cups in his career, with sucking Toronto being 20 points out of the playoffs at the deadline, he'll make the move to Wings if we make an reasonable offer.

That must be hard for Sundin to continue playing with that organization. Poor guy. I hope he wins a Cup at least once in his career, but at this rate, it doesn't look like it'll happen.

Not a bad signing on JFJ's end, but I will still criticize him if he doesn't get a decent winger to play with Mats. Antropov and Ponikarovsky are not first line caliber wingers, and if JFJ doesn't realize this, Sundin will continue to be dragged down by them. If Sundin had a decent winger, he'd be a 100 point player easily. He still manages to be a 70-80 player when he has to do it all himself. He is a great player.

Guest bullocks

First off, I wouldnt pay smyth or drury any more then 4 mill. And second, the Leafs are Sundin's team, yet from year to year HE can't get HIS team to even make the post season. What has it been like 4 or 5 years or so?? Smyth and Drury actually help get their squads to the playoffs. In this new NHL, the only way Im wanting to pay a player more then 5 mill a year, is if he shows up in the playoffs, and is 30 or younger. Other then that, I wouldnt even think of spending almost 6 mill on Mats.

You put Sundin on Buffalo the past two years would they make the playoffs? yes...how was buffalo b4 that? not all that great. Last time i checked Smyth was traded because Edmonton wasn't going to make the playoffs. Edmonton has been s*** every year except the year they had Pronger. Toronto missed the playoffs two years in a row by one point. Last year they had the most man games lost to injury in the league. They'll make the playoffs this year, and theyll actually have a winger for him for once as well. I guess if u won't pay more then $5 mill for a player of drury or smyth's calibre you won't be signing any top notch player soon.

With that NTC, he'll be in Detroit Swedish communnity before you can notice, if he wants to do it.

And with no cups in his career, with sucking Toronto being 20 points out of the playoffs at the deadline, he'll make the move to Wings if we make an reasonable offer.

yes, cuz toronto will be 20 points out of the playoffs *rolls eyes*

I don't understand why the Leafs would re-sign him. Look at all the UFA's this off season. It would have been a lot better for them to use that money to lock up a Drury, Smyth, Briere, etc. for 4 or 5 years instead of bringing back Sundin.

The Leafs should have traded Matt's at the deadline last year, instead they are going to get nothing for him. Plus they are stuck with Kaberle's, McCabe's, and Kubina's contracts.

The Leafs are a joke!