• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Vladiator

IHL still around?

Rate this topic

Ummm....hmm.

Well, the IHL has been dead since like 01', and the UHL now has 5 or 6 teams the last time I heard, due to Rockford going to the AHL, Elmira to the ECHL, Chicago going under, something about Quad City's rights being bought out so the Flames AHL affiliates could relocate and become the Quad City Flames (still in the AHL), and Port Huron appearantly going under (althought i've heard nothing official). Basically I haven't saw or heard anything on it, and it's not on the UHL's official site or Wiki, even though Wiki isn't the best of sources, so yeah. If this is true it seems like a good idea, at least I always saw the IHL as a more prestige league than the UHL/CoHL.

Maybe someone else on here heard something about it?

Yeah I know that IHL has been dead for a while but I have been told that the leauge has been revamped due to the UHL name meaning that the teams will go under the IHL instead. Can anyone confirm this?

Well, that would make some sense I guess since the UHL hosts a few of the original IHL teams like the K-wings and Flint Generals. I remember watching the Saginaw Gears-Generals-Hawks in the old IHL. Good times were had.

The IHL folded a couple years ago with teams leaving to the AHL were the teams HAVE to have a NHL team as a parent club. The smaller teams. Kalamazoo, Muskeegon, Flint and so forth came together to form the UHL or United Hockey League.

No, I wish though... th' vipers were fun to watch. I enjoyed th' season which they won th' cup... it was me first time owning season tickets to regular season AND playoffs.

I think what the OP was refering to was a news story that came out a couple of months ago about possible changes to the UHL. The UHL is teetering on the brink of not having enough teams to remain a viable league in the future. As of now there are only 7 teams left (down from 15 two years ago), with Chicago imploding last week, Elmira running off to the ECHL, and Rockford transforming into the relocated Cincy Mighty Ducks AHL franchise. The story was that the UHL would join forces with parts or all of another hockey league and be "re-born" as the "IHL".

Edited by Gizmo

OK makes sense now. I was told by someone who works for a company in Toledo that that company has bought into a franchise of an IHL team that it was going to build a 6,000 seat arena in the Crossroads area just south of Toledo.

OK makes sense now. I was told by someone who works for a company in Toledo that that company has bought into a franchise of an IHL team that it was going to build a 6,000 seat arena in the Crossroads area just south of Toledo.

Hmm, i havent heard that and i live in Toledo. Plus there is a new stadium being built IN downtown Toledo starting later this year. They are demolishing the area that the arena will be built on next month. So i dont see any new stadiums being built in or around the Toledo area any time in the near future. Unless this "someone" meant the new stadium in Toledo. Then i could see the new Toledo hockey team being in the "new" IHL. That would be kinda neat. I loved the ECHL but it got kinda boring in the last few years the Storm were around.

I read stories about two months ago that the Toledo ECHL franchise was being courted by the UHL to join the UHL/IHL/Whatever.

Here's a story referring to the possible name change: Link

Looks like I've been behind in my reading, there FIVE teams left in the Unstable Hockey League Link

Edited by Gizmo

Hmm, i havent heard that and i live in Toledo. Plus there is a new stadium being built IN downtown Toledo starting later this year. They are demolishing the area that the arena will be built on next month. So i dont see any new stadiums being built in or around the Toledo area any time in the near future. Unless this "someone" meant the new stadium in Toledo. Then i could see the new Toledo hockey team being in the "new" IHL. That would be kinda neat. I loved the ECHL but it got kinda boring in the last few years the Storm were around.

Yeah this has nothing to do with the downtown arena. Apparently this arena and franchise is being put together by a group of private investors and hasn't hit the news yet as it has been tilted to compete against the downtown arena (I was told that it is a prefab arena the will be able to be built quickly enough for next season) . I'm sure once the news comes out it will give Carty another coronary. All I know is that I am just waiting for another local pro team to get into the area ASAP. Guess we'll know more when the UHL brings out it's press release.

Yeah this has nothing to do with the downtown arena. Apparently this arena and franchise is being put together by a group of private investors and hasn't hit the news yet as it has been tilted to compete against the downtown arena (I was told that it is a prefab arena the will be able to be built quickly enough for next season) . I'm sure once the news comes out it will give Carty another coronary. All I know is that I am just waiting for another local pro team to get into the area ASAP. Guess we'll know more when the UHL brings out it's press release.

I wonder if Pyluipuik(The ex Toledo Storm GM) is behind this. I remember him saying that he would try his hardest to get a new team in Toledo, so we have hockey here next season. I didnt think they'd build an entire new stadium, but that could be kinda cool. But i dont think there is any way the city of Toledo(area) could hold 2 teams.

I wonder if Pyluipuik(The ex Toledo Storm GM) is behind this. I remember him saying that he would try his hardest to get a new team in Toledo, so we have hockey here next season. I didnt think they'd build an entire new stadium, but that could be kinda cool. But i dont think there is any way the city of Toledo(area) could hold 2 teams.

Yeah there is no way Toledo could support 2 pro hockey teams. Toledo could and did support an ECHL team and I have no doubt that Toledo could support and AHL team. I guess I have my doubts if this unfolds as true as this IHL team will probably not have any affiliation with the Wings and therefore will probably not draw the same crowds that the Storm did.

Yeah there is no way Toledo could support 2 pro hockey teams. Toledo could and did support an ECHL team and I have no doubt that Toledo could support an AHL team. I guess I have my doubts if this unfolds as true as this IHL team will probably not have any affiliation with the Wings and will probably not draw the same crowds that the Storm did.

Yeah there is no way Toledo could support 2 pro hockey teams. Toledo could and did support an ECHL team and I have no doubt that Toledo could support and AHL team. I guess I have my doubts if this unfolds as true as this IHL team will probably not have any affiliation with the Wings and therefore will probably not draw the same crowds that the Storm did.

Yeah there is no way Toledo could support 2 pro hockey teams. Toledo could and did support an ECHL team and I have no doubt that Toledo could support an AHL team. I guess I have my doubts if this unfolds as true as this IHL team will probably not have any affiliation with the Wings and will probably not draw the same crowds that the Storm did.

Whoo sorry for the weird post.