• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Salviaman

What is your favorite Nicklas Lidstrom moment/play?

Rate this topic

Don't forget Lidstrom's game winning power play goal in the 55th minute of game two of the 2002 Finals against Carolina. Without that goal, Carolina was a shot away from going up 2-0 in the series.

But the best Nick Lidstrom moment is no moment at all. It's the 30 minutes a night he puts up, game after game and year after year, that really stands out.

But the best Nick Lidstrom moment is no moment at all. It's the 30 minutes a night he puts up, game after game and year after year, that really stands out.

Exactly. So much of what he does doesn't really look spectacular. He just makes the right play time and time again.

This isn't so much a moment, but if I had to pick something it would be the Cup Finals in 97. Before this series there was all this talk about how the Wings small defense wouldn't be able to handle the huge Flyers forwards - Lindros, Leclair, etc. So the evil genius Scotty Bowman had the defense doing the opposite of everything you're taught - Play the puck, not the body.

And one of the only reasons a strategy like that can work is when you've got a guy like Nick Lidstrom on the ice for half the game playing against the top lines.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I was sitting here thinking 'well, the goal in 2002 was nice, but hardly the best thing Nick has done.' And I just couldn't come up with any specific moment, but rather lots of occurences of amazing play.

The article on NHL.com the other day where they discussed the three top norris candidates was saying the same thing.

It isn't flashy play, it isn't big hits, it isn't his shot from the blueline, it isn't his flashy personality, it is just him. He goes out night in and night out and does his best, and that is a hell of a lot better than most D-men in the league. Think about it, how many years in a row has he been a top contender for the norris.

How many other guys compete for that trophy year in and year out, besides Nick, most of the guys are a year or two here and there then they have a down year and fall of the radar.

Nobody talks about this guy unless he makes a mistake, which almost never happens.

Even though I dislike Engblom and Melrose, they have said it and so haven't many other so called experts, he has made the position look simple.

It is silly how well he uses the poke check, I think he learned that from Larry Murphy, he isn't a crusher but he can take you out of the play with his body. Look at the players he single handedly covered this post season; Iginla and Thorton are not exactly rookies or tissue soft players.

This man's best moment is always his next one!

Anytime Nick is out there is a favourite moment. I trust him in any given situation.

Agreed. My favorite Nick moment this year would have to be in the playoffs during the game he played pretty much every position INCLUDING golie. He saved Doms ass that game. I remember watching it and just being like holy god...Nick Lidstrom...words cannot describe how amazing that man is nor can a single moment or play that man has made. Nick Lidstrom is by far the most amazing player on that ice.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I was sitting here thinking 'well, the goal in 2002 was nice, but hardly the best thing Nick has done.' And I just couldn't come up with any specific moment, but rather lots of occurences of amazing play.

Same feeling here. My best bud mentioned earlier this week that "Lidstrom is a bit overrated" (granted, she loathes the Wings, but is also a hockey fan first and foremost). I was stunned, and tried to give her my reasons why Nik is so great.... I couldn't come up with any one overwhelming thing, or any twelve things, for that matter.

He just IS. He is (and has been for years) one of the major forces propelling the Wings into the wind.

What I did tell my Wing-hata friend, is that: "You know how you respect Stevie Yzerman?"

"Nik deserves the same respect."

Edited by RedRockit

All time favorite moment of his for be was the goal from half on the Canucks because it being against the canucks and the series turning point.

This playoffs:

Best- Him stripping Grier with that sweet move twice and then diving to save that goal.

Worst- Seeing that puck hit his stick and flutter into the net :(

Guest DetroitIan

For me its a no brainer. His half rink shot on Cloutier. That turned the entire series around with one shot. If Nicky didnt have that goal, who knows if we would have even won the cup in 02. I have tons of awesome Lidstrom memories. But for me, nothing compares to that night. What a night.

For my favorite Lidstrom moment, I would have to say the power play goal in game two of the stanley cup finals against Carolina. The way he lifted his leg and fist pumped after it was awesome. :D

Edited by Wings_Rule_1010

There are many to choose from, but I got to go with the center ice goal against Vancouver in the '02 playoffs that turned around that series and the playoff run to the cup.

A popular choice. Here's the video, compliment of Norrisnick again, a little choppy, but such a series turner. Cloutier sucks!

well my favorite moment of his was game 5 of this years western finals...55 secs left scotty shoots off lidstroms stick...that sticks out in my mind i dunno though...if it wasnt for him who knows how my ducks would have done, probably lose game 5 and lose at home in game 6....

you ask what my favorite moment of his is and i will tell....im not a wings fan but that shot from center ice was pretty sweet....

October 5, 2006 - the night he was officially named Captain. If there was any guy that could ever come close to replacing Stevie Y, it's Nick Lidstrom. Nick is the epitome of class, humility, and unselfishness. The smartest hockey player I have ever seen. Congrats on another Norris Trophy tomorrow night Nick, and also for being the Red Wings MVP every single season. :clap:

well my favorite moment of his was game 5 of this years western finals...55 secs left scotty shoots off lidstroms stick...that sticks out in my mind i dunno though...if it wasnt for him who knows how my ducks would have done, probably lose game 5 and lose at home in game 6....

You are giving too much credit to Niedermayer--Niedermayer was trying to send a saucer pass down low, not shooting. That it hit Lidstrom's stick and then fluttered past Hasek was an unbelievable fluke-personally, I felt Hasek should have been able to stop it, but it's over and done now.