• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kp-Wings

Iron Mike to coach Calgary

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210749&hubname=nhl

I wouldn't put to much into this yet, as this article has a number of obvious mistakes in it. For one, Calgary was eliminated by the Wings this year, not San Jose. Secondly, he took the Chicago Blackhawks to the SCF in 1992, not 1988. They need to get the facts right.

Still though, it makes for some interesting discussion. I honestly can't believe Calgary thinks he'd be any better then Playfair, because all Keenan knows how to do good is piss the players off. But still, it might work out for them. That is, if it happens.

I dont see what the negative is, he's not exactly replacing a guy who did anything. Its like the Wings canning Dave Lewis, no harm in it. If Keenan doesnt work out, they move on. So what if you lose Playfair out of it.

Worst comes to worst, Sutter is capable of stepping in if need be.

I dont see what the negative is, he's not exactly replacing a guy who did anything. Its like the Wings canning Dave Lewis, no harm in it. If Keenan doesnt work out, they move on. So what if you lose Playfair out of it.

Worst comes to worst, Sutter is capable of stepping in if need be.

While I admit, Playfair certainly did a bad job of motivating the Flames and wasn't that great of a coach anyways, Keenan is a strange choice to come in instead. The Flames want to "re-build" after last season, and Iron Mike really isn't the guy to do it with, mainly because he's an ass. But, whatever.

I was just watching the Score and there saying that reports are indicating its a done deal.

Pure Sillyness , Keenan will NOT fix the flames

...and you sound so disappointed too. :P

Keenan is a good fit for the Flames. He has always preferred the same kind of players as Sutter, the kind of players the Flames have plenty of. Keenan is good at developing young defensemen (Pronger being the most notable), and is good at getting a team of grinders to play above their ability.

I fail to see why anyone could think Keenan would be a bad fit for Calgary.

Good; another team for Keenan to screw up, & leave in shambles when he's fired :lol:

Keenan has always been a success as a coach. One of the best of the past few decades at the very least. It's his record as GM that has been hit (St. Louis) or miss (Vancouver) and unless Sutter is planning on handing over the reains, he's getting Keenan the coach.

I myself am suprised he was'nt coaching somewhere last year...He tears teams up, but give him a little tallent on a team and he makes the whole team play beyond their expectations. Only for a year or two, then he allways mannages to get canned or leaves to what he see's as greener pastures. And oh how I hate it when he goes to one of our rivals...

Guest Crymson

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210749&hubname=nhl

I wouldn't put to much into this yet, as this article has a number of obvious mistakes in it. For one, Calgary was eliminated by the Wings this year, not San Jose. Secondly, he took the Chicago Blackhawks to the SCF in 1992, not 1988. They need to get the facts right.

Still though, it makes for some interesting discussion. I honestly can't believe Calgary thinks he'd be any better then Playfair, because all Keenan knows how to do good is piss the players off. But still, it might work out for them. That is, if it happens.

Well, at least McLennan might get more playing time, ha ha.

Wow that happened kinda out of nowhere. I don't think Playfair did a good job but no one saw this coming at this time. If Playfair would have been out I would have thought at most 2 weeks after they were done.

As for Keenan I don't know if his style really works well anymore. I mean that team needs discipline and he will make sure they don't do stupid stuff but I don't know if hes as motivating to the NHL players of today.

That is awesome news, after this year ( maybe next ), we won't have to worry about Calgary for quite some time, Keenan will follow his usual M.O., and either trade Iginla, or Kipper, or both, get a whole bunch of " his type of players ", and run the team right into the ground. YAY! :hehe:

That is awesome news, after this year ( maybe next ), we won't have to worry about Calgary for quite some time, Keenan will follow his usual M.O., and either trade Iginla, or Kipper, or both, get a whole bunch of " his type of players ", and run the team right into the ground. YAY! :hehe:

If he was taking over GM too I would say you might be right. but with Sutter as GM I don't see either of those two guys being traded.

If he was taking over GM too I would say you might be right. but with Sutter as GM I don't see either of those two guys being traded.

True, but that's why I said after this coming season, or next because I'm sure Keenan will lobby to become the GM.. :sly:

I had to laugh when I saw this. This just in for those who still believe in Keenan as a coach: He has precisely TWO winning seasons since the Rangers won the cup. One was in the strike-shortened 94-95 season when he led the Blues to a 28-15-5 record. The other was Boston in 00-01 when they were 33-26-7-8, good for fourth place in the Northeast (and technically that isn't even a winning record). If he were to take over as GM eventually too, the Flameout would be complete.

Edited by A.T.Hun

Guest Crymson

Keenan has always been a success as a coach. One of the best of the past few decades at the very least. It's his record as GM that has been hit (St. Louis) or miss (Vancouver) and unless Sutter is planning on handing over the reains, he's getting Keenan the coach.

Ah, St. Louis was assuredly NOT a hit. Losing Shanahan, Hull and Joseph in exchange for an old Gretzky (for 20-some games) and an old Fuhr? Not good. He started the Blues` descent into nothingness--he had taken charge at the summit of their fortunes, and it was downhill from there.

Ah, St. Louis was assuredly NOT a hit. Losing Shanahan, Hull and Joseph in exchange for an old Gretzky (for 20-some games) and an old Fuhr? Not good. He started the Blues` descent into nothingness--he had taken charge at the summit of their fortunes, and it was downhill from there.

Shanahan was traded for Pronger, that was a steal for St. Louis. Keenan took a lot of heat for that trade at the time, but it really paid off well in the end...

They lost Hull because there wasn't a no-trade clause in his contract offer. Hull was the one who really wanted Gretzky there, and they played together there, so it wasn't a case of losing Hull (or any of the other players mentioned) for Gretzky.

The Gretzky trade was a gamble that didn't pay off. Gretzky ended up playing really well in NY after leaving St. Louis, so it isn't as if he was completely washed up at the time that he was aquired...

Fuhr played really well for St. Louis for a couple of years there.

Guest Crymson

Shanahan was traded for Pronger, that was a steal for St. Louis. Keenan took a lot of heat for that trade at the time, but it really paid off well in the end...

They lost Hull because there wasn't a no-trade clause in his contract offer. Hull was the one who really wanted Gretzky there, and they played together there, so it wasn't a case of losing Hull (or any of the other players mentioned) for Gretzky.

The Gretzky trade was a gamble that didn't pay off. Gretzky ended up playing really well in NY after leaving St. Louis, so it isn't as if he was completely washed up at the time that he was aquired...

Fuhr played really well for St. Louis for a couple of years there.

It's not in WHO you get; it's in how the team does, and Mike Keenan's term saw the Blues slide.

It's not in WHO you get; it's in how the team does, and Mike Keenan's term saw the Blues slide.

Where was their slide that he caused? The didn't do great with him but they didn't stink. He was only there what? Not even a whole two years? The team kept running into the Wings. Then they finally had a good year in 2000 and won the west but lost in round 1 and then in 01 lost in the conf. finals to the avs. Their slide into nothing had nothing to do with Keenan. After losing to the Wings in 02 it was bye bye Blues. Blowing a 3-1 lead to the Canucks in 03 and in 02 losing in round 1 again and post-lock out they have been bad. But all of their troubles came well after Keenan. I agree he's not the guy to bring into Calgary or any team anymore but thats Sutter's mistake.

Edited by StevieY9802