• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
A.T.Hun

Lewis Out in Boston

Rate this topic

I'm not sure if Dave Lewis is head coach material or not, but it's probably a scapegoat kinda thing- they have to blame their failure on someone. It's easy to single out a person and say "yeah you're the problem, c-ya".

That said I hope he finds another job.

Personally I think Boston had what it takes, underachieving and a not too verbal head coach not there to motivate them probably made it worse.

Tim Thomas played great Chara didn't do bad, Savard did excellent, but guys like Bergeron and Murray could have played better which would have been granted under a harder coach.

Firing Lewis was probably a good call. They should give Pat Burns another run, :).

But Bergeron was a huge flop this season.

TSN Article

BOSTON (AP) - Dave Lewis is out as the Boston Bruins coach after just one season.

General manager Peter Chiarelli announced Friday that Lewis will be relieved as head coach and reassigned to another position in the organization. Associate coach Marc Habscheid also will be reassigned.

"Since the season has ended I have completed a thorough review of the team and the coaching staff, and I have determined that Dave Lewis and Marc Habscheid are not the proper fit for the Bruins at this time," Chiarelli said, before adding: "I have a short list of candidates in mind."

Lewis was 35-41-6 in his lone season on the Bruins' bench. He also was the head coach in Detroit from 2002-04, where he had a 96-41-21-6 record.

The Bruin haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1972 and have missed the playoffs in each of the past two seasons.

"Having come from organizations where you're used to winning, that's been very difficult," Chiarelli said after the season. "But I also know quick fixes don't work and so I have to be patient. I have to balance the two things because I know our ownership demands a winner and I know the city demands a winner."

Chiarelli was the assistant general manager of the Ottawa Senators last season, when they finished second in the NHL with 113 points. Lewis was an assistant coach on three of Detroit's Stanley Cup-winning teams.

The Bruins underwent a major housecleaning last summer, bringing in Chiarelli and Lewis. They flirted with the playoff race for a while but went 1-10-1 in their last 12 games and played shoddy defence, allowing 289 goals - the second most in the league.

Boston also was short on offence with 217 goals, seventh fewest in the league.

Chiarelli said with several weeks remaining in the season that Lewis would return for a second season. "We've moved along the learning curve and you just can't throw that away," the GM said then.

Lewis said after the season that his history with the Red Wings may have blinded him to the work that needed to be done.

"I probably took a number of things for granted that I shouldn't, thinking that the players understand," he said then. "Where I came from, it's just sort of natural, which it really isn't natural. It's a learned process, so that's where I have to improve."

Lewis was hired by Boston on June 29, 2006. Prior to joining the team, he served as head coach of the Detroit Red Wings from 2002-2004, where he amassed a record of 96-41-21-6.

Habscheid was hired last July after spending a couple years coaching Canada's national men's team.

Adolf is not an NHL coach. This is a great move on Boston's part. Had they gotten production from guys like the aformentioned Patrice Bergeron, Glen Murray, or Brad Boyes (before he was traded), they might have been close to condtending for a playoff spot.

The Bruins aren't a bad team. Thomas is a little shacky as an NHL goalie, but the team has a decent mix of good forwards and defenseman, and the Stuart-Primeau for Ference-Kobesew trade was an absoulte steal for Boston. If they get a decent coach who can motivate the players, the Bruins should give a good run at a playoff spot next season.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Look, whether Lewis is NHL coaching material or not, whether he is "soft", remains to be seen I think.

As much as I like focusing on results in sports or business, there comes a point in time where you got to have patience with people.

You gotta feel for Lewis, getting the axe after just 2 seasons here and 1 in Boston. While I definitely understand shifting from him to perhaps a more hard-nosed coach such getting Mike Babcock, part of me thinks that getting the shaft that much/that early in your head coaching career just doesn't feel right from an ethical/moral standpoint

Bruins were in the run for playoff appearance whole season. but about mid-March they went cold and let the door open to Islanders/Habs/Leafs.

this was a good team capable of making it, but something failed. was it Lewis fault? possibly, but not necessarilly. Bruins seem to be having some bad leadership for a couple of years, and I'm not sure if blaming coaches is the way to go.

Lewis is a head coach material, although not a guy to go if you want to win something. but I still think he'll be there for some good team in 2-3 years.

That sucks! I think Lewis could have turned it around there in Boston, giving the time and right roster/staff.

I feel for the guy, and it appears Boston does too...keeping him on the payroll. Goes to to show how much people like Dave Lewis!

Look, whether Lewis is NHL coaching material or not, whether he is "soft", remains to be seen I think.

As much as I like focusing on results in sports or business, there comes a point in time where you got to have patience with people.

You gotta feel for Lewis, getting the axe after just 2 seasons here and 1 in Boston. While I definitely understand shifting from him to perhaps a more hard-nosed coach such getting Mike Babcock, part of me thinks that getting the shaft that much/that early in your head coaching career just doesn't feel right from an ethical/moral standpoint

I agree. You can't prove anything in one year. Here in Detroit he was put into an impossible situation. Following Bowman and then trying to have to go from being the good cop assistant to the bad cop when he had to take ice time from you. In Boston he could start off as the head coah and not have to worry about that. And again you need more than one year. He said he knew what this team needed and where to go from here. And it sucks when a team doens't give the guy a chance to try. A lot of people in pro-sports just don't have patience and want instant gratification. Sorry Dave I hope you get back into coaching somehow, even as an assistant.

Dave Lewis should get back into coaching as an assistant. That's what he is, and he is a brilliant one. Head coaches are supposed to be the vocal hard-assed coaches that just want to win and don't really care about developing too much of a lovey dovey relationship with players.

Assistant coaches follow the head's orders and are there for more moral support. Dave Lewis fits the description as a guy with the smarts, but not the type capable of throwing out orders. If there were any smart teams out there in need of an assistant coach, they'd hire him.

Also, doesn't Dave Lewish give off a slight resemblence to Jim Leyland? Leyland is probably more louder on the bench, but they just seem the exact same in interviews.

I hope Lewis gets a job somewhere else to, as a head coach. That would be atleast one team we would not have to worry about making the playoff's.

I agree he is not head coach material. Possibly not even asst. coach material. Giving that he did ride on Scotty's coat tails.

He has a great hockey mind, no doubt. But I think he was doomed to fail here in Detroit. No one could follow Scottie.

I think it's nearly impossible for an Assistant coach to take over a team when the HC leaves under just about any circumstances.

Dave just isn't a good HC, but he is a stellar Assistant.

Boston is a joke. They are worse than an expansion franchise for cryin out loud. What is this, the 9th coach in 10 years? Way to build a team. Hope they continue their fall to the bottom of the league. Idiots.

those are pretty strong words. Especially to throw at an original 6 team.

Keep in mind how s***ty the wings were a good 20-30 or so years ago

Detroit did suck 20-30 years ago and then some one who knew how to win took the team and look at them now. But Boston hasn'thad that happen to them yet.

Dave seems like a great guy and all, but he just doesnt do well in the head possition. After about one and a half seasons with detroit i was hoping they'd cut him loose. on the other hand, babcock seems to be doing a great job.

Edited by Kreator13

Well, they will always be an original six team. It would be nice if they had more than that going for them. Mickey Mouse.

While I'm glad Lewis isn't the Wings head coach anymore, I don't think one year is fair to judge him based on the state the team was in before he got there. Here's hoping he finds a team that gives him a fair amount of time to turn things around.