• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WhiteLightning91

TSN: Off-Season Game Plan: Red Wings

Rate this topic

Off-Season Game Plan

Pretty good outline of what the offseason holds for our team. I think theya re right on the money when they say we should be looking for 2 top-six forwards and 1 top four defenseman.

My only beef with them is that they believe our trade assets are Hudler, Lilja, and prospects.

Any opinions?

Our Trade Assets are Hudler and Lilja ..

Thinking about it , Andy Sutton would be a good pick up , Hes as big as Pronger and a good skater.

As for the forwards , Bertuzzi should be re-signed and Smyth or Hartnell for some more grit up front.

Guest Crymson

Off-Season Game Plan

Pretty good outline of what the offseason holds for our team. I think theya re right on the money when they say we should be looking for 2 top-six forwards and 1 top four defenseman.

My only beef with them is that they believe our trade assets are Hudler, Lilja, and prospects.

Any opinions?

I imagine Lilja will be #6 defenseman, and Quincey will be backup. There's no reason to have it any other way at this point. Hudler will not be traded. He'll get another season to prove himself--hopefully with more ice time.

Bertuzzi plus another forward will probably be it.

Hudler should be traded. He won't make it here. If packaged with the 1st round pick or maybe another prospect, a decent return may come.

Interesting how they have some of the big names on that list for possible signings, like Drury and Smyth. Even Forsberg. I wonder if Cullen knows we don't. I personally think Smyth would like to come here, since he wants to win. The question is how much he'll want, and I don't want the Wings to break the bank. We still need extra Cap room come trade deadline time to address any further needs.

I like how it says our first choice may be retaining Bertuzzi. In my opinion, it would be foolish to let him go to another team.....He is and will be better than he was these playoffs...in which he was getting better each game....He wants to win, and can still be a dominant, intimidating force in the NHL.....

I was going to post this article you beat me to it. It was a great read and I think they're right on. I think we'll resign Schneider and forgo signing another defensemen right away, maybe leave that room for the trade deadline. I think Bertuzzi will be coming back, if we can work out a contract where most of the money is dependent on him staying healthy. (Does anyone know the rules on incentive laden contracts per the CBA? I know there were some rules effecting who could or couldn't have bonuses attached to their contracts.) As far as free agency Smyth would be my first choice, but that will depend on two things. 1. How much the cap goes up and 2. How much of a paycut Smyth is willing to take.

Any opinions?

No worries, that's all we need. As many LGWers will be happy to tell you, Hudler, Lilja, and a pick will buy you anything from Shane Doan to the London Bridge :P

Guest Crymson

No worries, that's all we need. As many LGWers will be happy to tell you, Hudler, Lilja, and a pick will buy you anything from Shane Doan to the London Bridge :P

Oh, hell yes. Don't forget Maltby, too. A lot of teams "would love to get the playoff experience that he carries."

Off-Season Game Plan

Any opinions?

I think Kindl could make the team next year, but will likely get sent back to GR to play 20+ minutes a night. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back and forth to the big club, depending on his training camp and adjustment to the AHL. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Hudler packaged with a prospect and a pick in a trade deal, I think he deserves a shot at the NHL with 2nd line minutes. He's proven that he can score with little ice time, let's see what happens with the expectations of 2nd line duties, as well as 2nd line defenders. I'm intrigued with the big Swede, Ryno, who's making the jump to the AHL next year, as well as Jan Mursak, who has shown promise in the OHL.

I'm also expecting Grigorenko to make the team and play quality minutes, possibly replacing Hudler, which is why I can see him being traded. So, hold on to Bert and Schneider, see if we can hang on with the defensive prospects and make a splash with Smyth. The trouble with the Wings going after any of the big FA signings is that most of them are going to want multi-year deals and with Zata, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom already on the books, there won't be space for another large contract. If Z makes as much as Dats and Lidstrom stays about the same, that would be 19 mil or so in three players. Add in a 5 mil Smyth contract and we're in as bad of shape as the Lightning, cap-wise.

Thoughts on that? Did I leave something out?

Oh, hell yes. Don't forget Maltby, too. A lot of teams "would love to get the playoff experience that he carries."

So basically he wouldn't be needed in such NHL powerhouses like Columbus or Phoenix?

Why did Kenny re-sign him for 3 more years then? :crazy:

So basically he wouldn't be needed in such NHL powerhouses like Columbus or Phoenix?

Why did Kenny re-sign him for 3 more years then? :crazy:

Haven't you learned? Maltby is useless to the Wings, but his trade value is massive because of all the experience he has. Now that dosn't matte to the Wings because Detroit has sooo many players who have tons of playoff experience...like Shanahan, Yzerman, Larionov, Fedorov....oh wait they're all gone huh?

"Some (players) we'll make offers to, some we won't -- that'll be decided by the middle of June," Holland told the Ann Arbor News, in reference to the team's free agents. "To make good decisions, you have to take the emotion out. That takes a couple of weeks."

So it's the middle of June I wonder who is getting the offers......

I can't believe so many people want Hudler traded. :huh:

Like Ashenden said, if Grigorenko makes the team I could him taking Hudler's possible spot. I think part of it too is that Hudler while talented is pretty damn small. Not always, but pretty often the smaller guys seem to get bullied and lack production in the second season.

I like how it says our first choice may be retaining Bertuzzi. In my opinion, it would be foolish to let him go to another team.....He is and will be better than he was these playoffs...in which he was getting better each game....He wants to win, and can still be a dominant, intimidating force in the NHL.....

agree 100%

just the little bit ive seen him in the Wings uni ive loved his flashes of his usual play.

his sweet passing, he showed signs of playing like the PWF he is, and of course, his good hitting.

i really want him locked up here.

Mainly because if we package him with a good pick or something along those lines we could get something useful. Hudler doesnt and will not have a spot on this team , espicially with Grigenko coming over.

Girgorenko is just as good as Hudler. There is no room for him here.

Besides, Babcock really doesn't like to give anyone under 6'0 a whole lot of minutes. Hence why he thought Kopecky was a better choice in the playoffs. We might as well try and get at least something for Hudler, since he won't be playing much here.

And no, I'm going off and saying "Let's trade Hudler for Doan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11oneone22". Hudler, as many have mentioned, really doesn't have a lot of trade value, but at least has some. He won't draw anything straight up, but if packaged with the 1st round pick, a re-building team might look at that and be interested.

Does anyone know much about the UFAs they suggest at the end of the article? (Rivet, Sutton, Tanabe)

I like the way Rivet and Tanabe sound on paper, but don't really know anything about those guys.

Girgorenko is just as good as Hudler. There is no room for him here.

Besides, Babcock really doesn't like to give anyone under 6'0 a whole lot of minutes. Hence why he thought Kopecky was a better choice in the playoffs. We might as well try and get at least something for Hudler, since he won't be playing much here.

And no, I'm going off and saying "Let's trade Hudler for Doan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11oneone22". Hudler, as many have mentioned, really doesn't have a lot of trade value, but at least has some. He won't draw anything straight up, but if packaged with the 1st round pick, a re-building team might look at that and be interested.

I agree about Hudler. The guy has made a lot of his limited ice time, and hopefully that will increase his trade value a little.

The Wings are long on talent and short on size (no pun intended). They don't need goons, but they need to get some bigger bodies in the lineup.

I think Lilja could stay as a #6 d-man. He showed EXTREME improvement in the post this year and he was always there to kill a penalty if Nick and Cheli weren't on the ice. I think he is worth another shot. Markov and Kronwall are more expendable IMO, with the injury problems both have. Hudler and Kronwall and a pick may get a Shane Doan from a non-playoff Yotes team.... :unsure:

Qunicey isn't quite ready, so assuming that Lilja or Markov leave what are our D lines?

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Chelios-Schneider

Lilja/Markov-Lebda

Say Lilja and Markov go, what then? UFA or grind it out with Q until the trade deadline?

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Chelios-Schneider

???-Lebda

I think Lilja could stay as a #6 d-man. He showed EXTREME improvement in the post this year and he was always there to kill a penalty if Nick and Cheli weren't on the ice. I think he is worth another shot. Markov and Kronwall are more expendable IMO, with the injury problems both have. Hudler and Kronwall and a pick may get a Shane Doan from a non-playoff Yotes team.... :unsure:

Qunicey isn't quite ready, so assuming that Lilja or Markov leave what are our D lines?

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Chelios-Schneider

Lilja/Markov-Lebda

Say Lilja and Markov go, what then? UFA or grind it out with Q until the trade deadline?

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Chelios-Schneider

???-Lebda

IMO Quincey played well enough in the playoffs to earn him some ice time next season. And that would leave us more cap space to get a 2nd line winger.

*rings Holland's phone* ...

"Hey, Kenny."

"Who is this?"

"I can't say, but I got some free advice."

"Who the hell is this?"

"A friend of Ryan Smyth's."

"Um, OK."

"Sign him, you will not be disappointed. Matter of fact - ask Stevie about this guy."

"OK, let me get his agent on the phone. You sure he's worth it?"

"Every penny Kenny, every penny."

"OK, thanks mysterious one. I'll make that call now"

"Smythhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!"

*click*

I hope Kenny took me serious. :huh:

I am really torn when it comes to the D on this team. The vets are awesome, but the youth looks so good. Do the wings need to sign Schnieds and Markov, or are the youngster going to be as good as they look, when they start logging top 4 minutes.

Yes Quincey looked very good for a guy making his first Post Season starts, however he was doing that with something like 4 minutes a game. Lebda looks great, but can he do it without a guy named Chelios or Schnieder on the other side of the ice.

IMO Quincey played well enough in the playoffs to earn him some ice time next season. And that would leave us more cap space to get a 2nd line winger.

It's not that Quicney or Lebda aren't solid defencemen. It's that neither of them are physical. Markov filled that void and will need to be replaced or re-signed.

I only see Hudler gaining ice time if Babs is looking to showcase him for a trade. I have no idea what Hudler did to Bab's dog, wife, and or children but he doesn't seem to be big on Jiri.

It's not that Quicney or Lebda aren't solid defencemen. It's that neither of them are physical. Markov filled that void and will need to be replaced or re-signed.

That's a very good point. It would be awesome to have a D-man back there taking guys out. I suppose Lilja does a decent job of that.

Don't you recall any of the hip-checks Lebda has thrown? Even the 1 on Langkow :blink:

As for Quincey he played a steady game; exactly what ya want from a kid whom was called up from GR :thumbup: Trying to lay-out bone crushing hits during the playoffs only creates more opportunities for odd-man rushes/scoring chances for the opposition...Something Babs doesn't want that time of year.

Both will get better with more ice time :cool:

If Markov won't take what Holland will offer - then he's not coming back.

Lebda's a good puck moving defencemen. Quicey is a steady stay-at-home defencemen. Neither are scouted as being physical defencemen in the mold of a guy like Sarich or Sutton.

And yes I saw Lebda's hit on Langkow. He hurt himself on the play, that should tell you something.

Also, Datsyuk threw some decent hits in the playoffs this year, but don't expect him to be listed as a power forward anytime soon.