• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WhiteLightning91

TSN: Off-Season Game Plan: Red Wings

Rate this topic

Rivet is alot like Lilja, but Rivet comes with a pair of testicles - as in he doesn't mind dropping the mitts to defend a teammate...However like Lilja he provides a little offense, is primarily a defensive Dman, but wil get caught outta position every now, & then & possibly provide a ESPN hi-lite reel moment for the opposing forward :o

Tanabe was always more offensive minded (or so I think :blush: ), and has had trouble keeping the puck outta his own end...Think Schneider 10 years ago.

Too me I'd rather have the team guy; the guy you want to go to war with; of these 2 that'll def be Rivet.

Andy Sutton please.

He would be the perfect compliment to Lidstrom, Schneider and Kronwall.

Sutton or Sarich.

Lebda may not throw himself around like other Dmen, but he does play a physical game...That hit on Langkow isn't the norm; I've seen Lebda play ln person a few times this year, & I gotta say he has alot of lower body strength - getting under guys, & lifting them off their skates (hip check).

I honestly don't need a scouts report/opinion to form my own opinion; Lebda is here to stay. He's got great wheels, under estimated defensive ability (will only get better with Chelios around), & alot of upside overall...He'll never push a guy like Joe Thorton outta the crease, but in a race for the puck he'll either beat him to it, or take Thorton's legs out from underneath him :lol:

IMHO it's hard to say how physical of a player Quincey will become since he's seen limited action in the NHL...My guess is he'll become another Bob Rouse clone; not overly physical, not too much into fighting, his game won't stand out in any area, but he has the potential to becomming a solid defensive Dman.....Kinda what Jesse Wallin was supposed to do :unsure:

You speak the truth. I'm not saying that Lebda and Quincey aren't good defencemen.

I would secretly like to see Schneider price himself out of Detroit:

2007-08

Lidstom - Sutton/Sarich

Kronwall - Lilja

Kindl- Chelios

Lebda

Let Quincey play most of the season in The Grand. With call-ups whenever Kronwall breaks part of himself.

2008-09

Lidstrom - Kronwall

Kindl - Sutton/Sarich

Chelios - Lebda

Quincey

So tell me about Sutton; I know he's a big guy, but can he skate, or does he get beaten wide alot? Does he drop the mitts, or does he beat beaten up like Gill on the Leafs? Any info please.

I've seen Sarich play a few times; nothing stood out other than he can play a solid physical game - does he drop the mitts, or create any offense?

Sutton is one of those guys that would block a shot with his teeth. He's extremely rugged. And he can easily take 4 rounds of playoffs pounding by opposition forwards and still play his game. He can clear the crease. Plays a safe game in his own end. Just a good tough old fashioned hockey player. He's not a speedster, but Detroit aren't hurting for mobility.

Sarich is like Kronwall when it comes to being physical. Hitting is his Crack. Except he's way bigger, and usually always healthy. He's nasty to play against, and like Sutton, can last 4 rounds of playoff hockey.

One of these guys is needed to round out Detroit's blueline. IMO.

Man I miss talking about hockey. Hockey doesnt exist down here in Argentina.

At any rate, for all those excited about Sutton, just keep in mind that its rumored he wants a 4yr 16M deal. Thats WAY too expensive for Sutton, even though he is a bona fide physical defenseman. Although, if he doesnt find that type of money, he could be nice for 2.50-3.0M at most.

In all honesty, Id probably let Markov go. I didnt mind for the season, and Id welcome him back if he were our only choice, but Sarich, Sutton, or even Rivet (hell no to Tanabe, he sucks ass) would be an improvement. And selling off Lilja to a team in need of a cheap, reliable, depth defenseman doesnt sound like a bad idea. Even better if Detroit can get a reliable physical defenseman who may not be as cheap as Lilja in return for a mid-level pick with Lilja. Ultimately, when thinking on how much they´ll cost and what they bring, Sarich>Sutton>Markov. I also think bringing back Mathieu Schneider should be the way to go. Im not his biggest fan, but his offensive touch was missed in the playoffs. If that doesnt work out, Hamrlik is another choice.

As for trading Hudler, Im pretty neutral. Id love to see him grow on the Wings, but Im not sure how much space this team as nor how many minutes they have. It depends on what hes traded for. Id rather see Sammy traded to be honest, since his contract is up next year.

As for forwards, I think Bertuzzi should be one of them assuming hell come cheap. Hes only going to be better than what we saw of him already, and this team has a lot of offensive depth should he encounter more injuries. The other forward should be Ryan Smyth. I know people will say we already have Homer, but thats the beauty of it. Having the two best front net guys on the same team is akin to Anaheim plucking Pronger and Neidermayer out of the hands of the rest of the league and making them teammates, although on a smaller scale. Nobody else will come close. If Cap space is an issue with Smyth, then Hartnell is the next best choice. As for the rumors about the Wings being interested in Kozlov, that doesnt make me too happy, but when you look at the fact that whatever forward we sign is going to be replacing Robert Lang, you can pretty much only go up from there, unless its Anson Carter.

Sorry for all the unorganized thoughts, but I havent been able to talk hockey for about 3 weeks.

I'd have to support trading Hudler

Think about how many players his size play in the NHL.. not many

I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability to become one of those few but for now he's not even close

In addition to that, the Wings don't need small forwards, we need to bulk up in the forward position and like others have been saying if he's traded with a solid prospect than we should see a really good return

DO IT HOLLAND! DO IT!

Oh and I forgot to give my 2 cents about Schneider...

We can't afford to let him go! He is pure class and is a pivotal part of our powerplay. The powerplay just doesn't seem to click on a consistant enough basis without him.. I mean did everyone already forget how horrendous the PP looked after his wrist injury?

I'm just happy that Holland feels the same as me and the rest of us sane Red Wings fans.

It all comes down to what Schneider and Markov do. Should they both return, management will probably be content to pick up a relatively minor-name forward at the deadline. Should only one come back (I can't imagine we'll lose both), I would expect to see a top-4 signing and a minor trade deadline addition to the forward corps. (Mind you, this is assuming Bert re-signs -- and for cheap.)

I would love love love to see Smyth sporting the winged wheel next season, but I think it's safe to say that's a real longshot. Big name pickups have been coming at a major price lately -- I expect Smyth to demand a hell of a lot and get a hell of a lot.

Edited by Dabura

Haven't you learned? Maltby is useless to the Wings, but his trade value is massive because of all the experience he has. Now that dosn't matte to the Wings because Detroit has sooo many players who have tons of playoff experience...like Shanahan, Yzerman, Larionov, Fedorov....oh wait they're all gone huh?

It always goes more like this:

[insert player name here] is extremely valuable to the Wings and we should immediately re-sign him for 3-5 more years. But at the same time there's not a GM in the world who would want [insert player name again] for his team.

How's this even possible?

I don't know enough about Grigorenko to give an opinion on whether Hudler should stay or go. As far as needs, Grigs is bigger and would be nice, as long as we don't lose out on any offense.

I'm hoping Schneider and Markov make their way back, and a big reason for that is that they're injury prone- it will give the young guys plenty of chances to step up! I like a lot of the ideas on here but not if we can stick with the status quo. I'm hoping that Schneids sees that his paycheck should account for his imminent aging.

I just realised that Lidstrom, Chelios, and Lebda are the only guys that will /probably/ play most of the season (knock on wood for those three). That's pretty pathetic.

No worries, that's all we need. As many LGWers will be happy to tell you, Hudler, Lilja, and a pick will buy you anything from Shane Doan to the London Bridge tongue.gif

Hudler and Kronwall and a pick may get a Shane Doan from a non-playoff Yotes team.... :unsure:

If you weren't kidding, you just upgraded the first quote from quite funny to pee-your-pants hilarious.

Shane Doan will not be traded for anybody but Henrik Zetterberg, Henrik Sedin, or King ****** Henrik.

And anyway we picked up Bert so we addressed that need.

Holland to meet with Bert, Schneider and Hasek's agents during the draft

Hasek: a raise from the $750,000 he earned last season is expected, Hasek isn't likely to disrupt the salary structure.

Schneider: Holland said the Wings have interest in Schneider but only so many dollars to spend.

Bertuzzi:"We have interest in Todd, but it all comes down to the dollars," said Holland, noting the Wings' limitations with the salary cap.

Nothing too new here with the three mentioned, all comes down to how much they want. Hopefully Philly's overpayment of Timonen doesn't push Schneider into testing the FA market.

And no mention of Calder or Markov in the article.

Guest DetroitIan

I really have faith that Kenny will re-sign Bert. Atleast I sure hope so. He had an impact with the little time he had with us, just think if we have him all season. I am all in favor of bringing back big Bert.

Holland to meet with Bert, Schneider and Hasek's agents during the draft

Hasek: a raise from the $750,000 he earned last season is expected, Hasek isn't likely to disrupt the salary structure.

Schneider: Holland said the Wings have interest in Schneider but only so many dollars to spend.

Bertuzzi:"We have interest in Todd, but it all comes down to the dollars," said Holland, noting the Wings' limitations with the salary cap.

Nothing too new here with the three mentioned, all comes down to how much they want. Hopefully Philly's overpayment of Timonen doesn't push Schneider into testing the FA market.

And no mention of Calder or Markov in the article.

Calder won't be back.