Flyers acquire, sign Hartnell/Timonen

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Rofl look at the salarys/

Hartnell 4.2 mill

TImmo 6.3 mill

Ridiculous

Stupid move by both teams.

Offering top-dollar was the only way Philly could logically be guaranteed to sign these two players. If Philly did not agree to contracts before the trade, it would not have happened; and I'm sure Timmo and Hartnell asked that they be given a lot in exchange for forgoing the FA market.

Guest jaytan

This isn't as shocking to me as it seems to be to a lot of people. Nashville was going to lose one or both of these guys anyway (probably both, looking at the insane contracts they're alledged to have signed with Philly) and it wouldn't make too much sense for them to re-sign Forsberg.... Best they can do is get the pick back.

And Balsille isn't running the team yet, is he? I was under the impression that the sale is yet to be approved, so how could this move be indicative of some Balsillian conspiracy?

Wow. And two 6 year deals at that. I never would've seen this coming.

The Preds knew they couldn't sign either Hartnell or Timmonen???

And I didn't know this was technically legal to do before July 1st.

Well this pretty much answers the question if the Preds are going to try to put a strong team on the ice in Nashville next season. They sure gave up a lot to get a first round pick back. almost as if they were giving up on next season and looking ahead a couple years...

Guest DetroitIan

Thank God. Never wanted that guy in the winged wheel. But nice move by the Flyers. I don't forsee them making the playoffs or anything, but they will most definitely be improving on last seasons record. I wonder how many goaltenders Scotty boy will run with the Philly jersey on.

i really see us landing Kozzie. Really.

I sure hope so. Either him or Smyth would be perfect additions. :clap:

we're not dead next year. we've still got two lethal top lines.

Dumont - Arnott - Radulov

Sullivan - Legwand - Erat

still can fill in our fourth line and some third line with Abid, Fiddler, Tootoo, Smithson, Hordichuk and Nichol (some of them will be back). And then we need 1-2 third line free agents to fill in. Not bad.

We also signed over a couple of promising euro players. Setzinger probably has a good shot at making the team. Plus Peverly and Leahy who filled in some last season.

On defense. we still have...

Weber - Suter

Hamhuis - Zidlicky

Zanon will probably be re-signed. We've got Nolan Yonkman and Alex Henry who are NHL ready in milawaukee or we could bring up younger guys like Kevin Klein or Cody Franson.

and of course. Vokoun and Mason in net.

all of that without signing a single free agent other than our own 4th line guys.

And I didn't know this was technically legal to do before July 1st.

perfectly legal to trade a players rights. I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often when a team has a specific target that they're willing to overpay for. Work out a deal, trade a pick for his rights and then sign him immediately.

Wow, the Flyers will be so much better. Hartnell and Timonen are the two top guys I would have picked up. Don't expect another flop of a season from Philly. Their draft pick this year is going to be good too. Just wow.

still can fill in our fourth line and some third line with Abid, Fiddler, Tootoo, Smithson, Hordichuk and Nichol (some of them will be back). And then we need 1-2 third line free agents to fill in. Not bad.

We also signed over a couple of promising euro players. Setzinger probably has a good shot at making the team. Plus Peverly and Leahy who filled in some last season.

Weber - Suter

Hamhuis - Zidlicky

Zanon will probably be re-signed. We've got Nolan Yonkman and Alex Henry who are NHL ready in milawaukee or we could bring up younger guys like Kevin Klein or Cody Franson.

all of that without signing a single free agent other than our own 4th line guys.

you gotta admit though, its a pretty big hit to lose Hartnell AND Timonen. Combined they had almost 100 points last season.

I didn't expect the Preds to keep them both, but I sure didn't see em both going to Philly for 6 years either.

I wouldn't put the Preds selling off just yet. These guys weren't going to re-sign anyways so.... but whatever. The biggest surprise is the salaries they got and the length of the deals. Over 10 mil per for these two guys is a lot.

As for the Wings I don't see the appeal of Kozzie so much. Everyone for the last few years has said the Wings need to be bigger and tougher and then so many people want them to sign Kozzie back at 35 years old? I like the guy but I just don't know about that one.

Edited by StevieY9802

wow. good move for philly, i guess trashville is tanking it now

I wouldn't put the Preds selling off just yet. These guys weren't going to re-sign anyways so.... but whatever. The biggest surprise is the salaries they got and the length of the deals. Over 10 mil per for these two guys is a lot?

As for the Wings I don't see the appeal of Kozzie so much. Everyone for the last few years has said the Wings need to be bigger and tougher and then so many people want them to sign Kozzie back at 35 years old? I like the guy but I just don't know about that one.

i'm with you one that one

Weber - Suter

Hamhuis - Zidlicky

Not so sure I would call those lethal lines, however lets for the sake of argument say that those are two lethal lines. Columbus had 2 lines that lethal last year and I would venture to say a better defense. Where did they end up.

I admire the will and heart you show towards supporting your team, you are very red wing like in that manner, too bad the people in the preds org weren't as die hard and loyal as you!!

The one thing that Nashville has for the next 5 years barring injury that could potential save everyone one of those seasons is Vokoun (pun intended) that man is a great goaltender!!

perfectly legal to trade a players rights. I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often when a team has a specific target that they're willing to overpay for. Work out a deal, trade a pick for his rights and then sign him immediately.

I guess I'm a little fuzzy on how all this works.

The trade deadline for the 2007 season has obviously passed, so I thought they technically could not be traded or signed in any capacity until July 1, when they became UFAs.

after the season ends, is the market back open for trades?

huh. I either never knew or forgot that. :crazy:

I thought they all happened the same date as the UFA.

It is open for trades not free agent signings unless it is the team that holds the players rights until the 7/1 deadline.

However a team can trade the prospective free agents rights if they want, then the new team and only the new team can sign them until 7/1 at which point they become free agents. Hope that helps if not, I tried!!

It is open for trades not free agent signings unless it is the team that holds the players rights until the 7/1 deadline.

However a team can trade the prospective free agents rights if they want, then the new team and only the new team can sign them until 7/1 at which point they become free agents. Hope that helps if not, I tried!!

definitely helps, thanks.

Offering top-dollar was the only way Philly could logically be guaranteed to sign these two players. If Philly did not agree to contracts before the trade, it would not have happened; and I'm sure Timmo and Hartnell asked that they be given a lot in exchange for forgoing the FA market.

bad teams have to overpay