• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwingfan19

Akim Aliu

Rate this topic

Does anyone think the Wings should take a chance on this kid? I think he could be a real good player, maybe Iginla like. Hes the 41st ranked player in the draft and I think becuse of his off-ice problems people will stay away form him but with a first class organization like the Wings that could change.

Akim Aliu

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Does anyone think the Wings should take a chance on this kid? I think he could be a real good player, maybe Iginla like. Hes the 41st ranked player in the draft and I think becuse of his off-ice problems people will stay away form him but with a first class organization like the Wings that could change.

Akim Aliu

was he the kid that Steve Downie (drafted last year?...think pest type player) was picking on and had a fight with while on the same team? I think if so, Aliu was crying or something about it.

Maybe i'm wrong but whoever the kid was that Downie got mixed up with, I would pass on him b/c he couldn't hack it at least I think that's what I heard.

If he's still avaiable at #88, yeah, grab him.

he wont fall that far, thats where the chance factor comes in, we would have to use or first pick.

was he the kid that Steve Downie (drafted last year?...think pest type player) was picking on and had a fight with while on the same team? I think if so, Aliu was crying or something about it.

Maybe i'm wrong but whoever the kid was that Downie got mixed up with, I would pass on him b/c he couldn't hack it at least I think that's what I heard.

The reason he got in the fight was becuse he REFUSED to be involved in a hazing incident and I give him alot of credit for that. And I don't think he was crying.

he wont fall that far, thats where the chance factor comes in, we would have to use or first pick.

The reason he got in the fight was becuse he REFUSED to be involved in a hazing incident and I give him alot of credit for that. And I don't think he was crying.

that's right. i'd be surprised if he's around as late as the wing's first pick. his only mistake was saying no to a disgusting hazing ritual, and being black in the OHL, which probably and unfortunately, is a large part of his negative experiences. he seems to have a ton of potential at 18 years old, and given some more time to move past that incident with that idiot steve downie (a perfect flyer's draft pick, don't you think? no doubt clarke was behind that one), and time to work in a comfortable environment, he could be a steal if the wings were lucky enough to nab him at 27.

Plus, even though the guy drops him at the end, he does

against a guy who is 4 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier than him.

If he's still avaiable at #88, yeah, grab him.

You do realize that Detroit has a 1st round pick, right?

Also, TSN has Aliu ranked #30.

edit: I could see Detroit taking an American college kid. That way they have the option to leave him in the NCAA until he's ready. Someone like Tommy Cross. Drafting Europeans and letting them develop for 6 years over seas have become more difficult under the new CBA.

Edited by rick zombo

Akim Aliu

I'd love to take this kid. The only reason why he gets a bad rap is because of his incident with Steve Downie on the Spits. But there were numerous people that have said Downie was always a prick to all rookies. Aliu was just the first one that stood up to him.

Add in the fact tha Aliu can speak Russian and that's a bonus.

The kids big, fast, has a great shot and is North American. He's exactly what we need. Especially for those that miss having Mac around. He has a shot to do exactly what McCarty did only with much better wheels and a better scoring touch. Just less fighting.

Another kid I'd love to take is Colton Gillies. Big, fast, honest with some good offensive skills.

EDIT: I never heard anything about the issue between Downie and being over a hazing incident. But someone said that they got off on the wrong foot when Aliu was looking over one of Downie's sticks. Aliu asked him how he prepared them when Downie lost it on him, telling him to 'never touch my f'ing sticks again!". Aliu didn't like to be talked down to like that so the beef began.

Downie's a prick and it makes perfect sense Clarke drafted him. I'm sure Downie will try to knock Gagne's teeth out if he looks at his car wrong.

But if all of this did occur over hazing, I'm glad Aliu stuck up for himself. It shows character and confidence. Being a 16 year old in the OHL can be intimidating enough. And this kid showed that he wasn't going to do anything he didn't want to do. That tells me he has character, dignity and heart.

Edited by Hank

Another kid I'd love to take is Colton Gillies. Big, fast, honest with some good offensive skills.

probably too good to be true, but he would be great. honestly, i'll be happy if the wings take any big center with decent numbers and PIMs with their first pick. it would be nice to be able to watch a big, tough kid develop and know that in a few years he'll be around to back up his teammates while chipping in some goals now and again.

some potential picks that might fit that mold:

colton gillies - C 6'4" 189 lbs, 65 GP, 30 PTS, 148 PIMS

max pacioretty - C 6'2" 203 lbs, 60 GP, 63 PTS, 119 PIMS

akim aliu - C/RW 6'2" 200 lbs, 53 GP, 42 PTS, 104 PIMS

riley nash - C 6'1" 175 lbs, 55 GP, 83 PTS, 87 PIMS

brad malone - C/LW 6'2" 207 lbs, 57 GP, 33 PTS, 134 PIMS

He'd be a great draft choice. The way he stood up to Downey like that shows he isn't afraid of anyone.

Downie is a ******* prick. He really is. He has treated so many people like s*** in juniors, it's not even funny. I hope he flops big time in the NHL, because he really is a jerkoff.

Edited by Kp-Wings

He'd be a great draft choice. The way he stood up to Downey like that shows he isn't afraid of anyone.

Downie is a ******* prick. He really is. He has treated so many people like s*** in juniors, it's not even funny. I hope he flops big time in the NHL, because he really is a jerkoff.

hahaha! You don't hear 'jerkoff' that much anymore. But it's a perfect adjective for Downie.

hahaha! You don't hear 'jerkoff' that much anymore. But it's a perfect adjective for Downie.

It's a perfect term to describe someone of Downie's charecter. :P

You know, isn't it just fitting that he happened to be drafted by the Flyers? I mean, he is a true Flyers-type player. To be that, you have to be a true *******, and have no soul. That's Downie right there.

Guest Agalloch

WTF? Everyone calls Aliu an ******* and a guy with a bad attitude because of THAT? There has to be something more to it, because I fail to see how he has any sort of personal problems. I would've done the same thing he did (I hope everyone here would've).

Guest jaytan

Is he Swedish?

He's Canadian and was born in Nigeria.

From what I've heard of him, he sounds like a good choice, but I've never seen him play.

I respect this kid for not allowing himself to be bullied into doing something he didn't want to do. He look's like he'd be a good player to take a chance on . I doubt he'll fall down the draft that much for the Wings to pick him up though.

I respect this kid for not allowing himself to be bullied into doing something he didn't want to do. He look's like he'd be a good player to take a chance on . I doubt he'll fall down the draft that much for the Wings to pick him up though.

I don't understand. ISS has him ranked #41 and TSN 's poll of NHL GMs has him at #30.

How far would he have to "fall" for the Wings to get him with the 27th pick? He'd actually have to rise 3 spots. Correct?