• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwingfan19

Akim Aliu

Rate this topic

I don't understand. ISS has him ranked #41 and TSN 's poll of NHL GMs has him at #30.

How far would he have to "fall" for the Wings to get him with the 27th pick? He'd actually have to rise 3 spots. Correct?

Smart ass.. :P ....j/k.... :)

Well I'm hoping that the Wings take a chance on him then , cause we could really use someone like him . :thumbup:

WTF? Everyone calls Aliu an ******* and a guy with a bad attitude because of THAT? There has to be something more to it, because I fail to see how he has any sort of personal problems. I would've done the same thing he did (I hope everyone here would've).

That's his major claim to fame, but not the only source of his problems. Word on the street is that he is aggressive and stubborn, even with members of his own team, and has a tendency to clash with coaches who get on his ass and push him to work harder. Of course, part of this may well be due to factors outside his control (racism, cultural barrier, etc), but regardless of the causes, the bottom line is that he hasn't fit well into any locker room he's been a part of and seems to be a lightning rod for trouble, which paints the picture of a kid with an attitude problem. I guess we'll find out for sure when he gets to the big leagues.

Edit:

I don't have an exact source for this stuff other than "the street," but here's something from The Hockey News about him:

[Aliu] remains an intriguing prospect if he can improve his attitude.

"He has first-rounds skills and some team will get lucky or strike out," a scout said. "It's a team game, and you just hope that checks in with him soon enough."

Edited by StaticWithABeat

You know what is funny, when I stood up to hazing in high school, it gained me respect from the older kids on the team. Now it appears that him standing up to hazing has lost him respect. He is 16 high school age in the US, man how the times change.

You know what is funny, when I stood up to hazing in high school, it gained me respect from the older kids on the team. Now it appears that him standing up to hazing has lost him respect. He is 16 high school age in the US, man how the times change.

I think it's a totally different culture in some sports and part of the country. Hockey is such an 'old boys club' that when someone doesn't toe the line in regards to a certain tradition, they get branded as an attitude problem.

Maybe Akim does have issues with authority or perhaps some are put off with how open he is with his opinion. But like that London Press article suggested, at least you know where you stand with the kid.

I think the Wings can show him the way of fitting in to a system and with a team. Afterall, they were able to tolerate Sean Avery and Aaron Ward. Both had reps for being loud mouths and going against the grain.

I don't understand. ISS has him ranked #41 and TSN 's poll of NHL GMs has him at #30.

How far would he have to "fall" for the Wings to get him with the 27th pick? He'd actually have to rise 3 spots. Correct?

hockeysfuture has him listed at #7, which doesn't mean much, but shows that he is pretty well thought of as a prospect.

I just remembered what the hazing incident was:

I believe all the rookies had to take their clothes off. The vets then threw the clothes into the tiny bus bathroom and forced 4 of the rookies to go in there at one time and get dressed. Akim refused to do it.

Speaking of hazing, I've never understood what the obsession with nudity was.

There was an article in SI a few years ago about a traditional hazing ritual that went bad for a high school football team. In it they had the freshman simulate oral sex using a banana and in a couple of cases two students were viciously sodomized with certain objects. When the victims came forth, a lot of the town blamed the victims and stood behind the vets. That's unbelievable.

I don't mind some harmless initiations but if you're into simulated oral sex or sodomizing dudes, then you have some serious problems. And you're more than likely ***.

absolutely not he is garbage i have seen him play when he was on Windsor and on the wolves he definitely does not live up to his potential

I have seen some of your posts before and have been skeptical on each and every one of them. I'm going to take this with a grain of salt and I advise others to do the same.

RACIST!!!!!!!!! :P

And there's nothing wrong with *** people Hank.

And there's nothing wrong with *** people Hank.

Only *** people that sodomise you with objects without asking first. At least take me out to dinner for crying out loud!

Guest GordieSid&Ted

He'd be a great draft choice. The way he stood up to Downey like that shows he isn't afraid of anyone.

Downie is a ******* prick. He really is. He has treated so many people like s*** in juniors, it's not even funny. I hope he flops big time in the NHL, because he really is a jerkoff.

Yeah, I remember at the end of the US/Canada match Jack Johnson elbowed Downie in the side of the head and got tossed. There was this huge uproar from Canadians. I thought it was funny b/c they were skating side by side and Downie was mouthing off so Johnson drilled him. Of course you shouldn't elbow somebody in the head but Downie is a certified prick and I was glad Johnson drilled him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the story about Aliu and Downie was as described by folks here. Downie is an ass and Aliu probably was right to stick up for himself but for some odd reason I just feel like I read that Aliu had serious issues with hard work and that Downie was pissed at him for something else. Who knows, maybe it was about sticks and hazing, I dunno. Personally, i'd pass. Anytime I hear that a kid has issues when it comes to working with teammates and coaches, especially when it comes to working harder as has been mentioned, I tend to want to move on.

Only *** people that sodomise you with objects without asking first. At least take me out to dinner for crying out loud!

That's the really mindblowing thing about that bit earlier, the town turning against the kids who talked about it. The whole thing is so ass backwards and crazy, even though I get how it works.

And I know, right? I'd demand dinner before that!

Edited by Flip-check

Amen brother, I swear if I had a nickel for every time one of those damn gays came lunging out of a dark alley at me brandishing a cucumber...(shakes fist at *** community)

Haha...alright that's enough of that, back to pretending to be mature.

Amen brother, I swear if I had a nickel for every time one of those damn gays came lunging out of a dark alley at me brandishing a cucumber...(shakes fist at *** community)

Haha...alright that's enough of that, back to pretending to be mature.

Cucumber? You got off easy! Try sqaush!!!

Okay, now we've really crossed the 2nd grade barrier.