• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsFanatic

Scott Niedermayer Considering Retirement

Rate this topic

He has every right to retire, if he so chooses, but it seems kind of a selfish thing to do considering his age and the needs of his team. It has been known for a while that Teemu might retire, but springing this on your GM less than a month before free agency begins is just kind of..... I don't know... Either way, it's amazing what he has accomplished at only 33.

This would be a huge blow to the Ducks.

Now they're sort of in an interesting spot. They certainly want him to come back and take his time in making that decision, but they also may be forced to go out and pick up a defensemen to take his spot if he decides to hang 'em up, which is probably something they had not anticipated having to do.

He has every right to retire, if he so chooses, but it seems kind of a selfish thing to do considering his age and the needs of his team. It has been known for a while that Teemu might retire, but springing this on your GM less than a month before free agency begins is just kind of..... I don't know... Either way, it's amazing what he has accomplished at only 33.

As I started to type a reply to this I was in agreement with you, then I thought about how loyal would the team be to him? Would they take him back for another year, if they didn't need/want him?

NO!! They would cast him off to free agency (probably not in this case based on the skill of the individual)!

Think about it the same way you do work, most of us would give our notice at the last possible moment, because that is the way our company/boss would treat us.

I think he did them a favor by heading to Anaheim, I think he not Pronger was the missing piece to their SC run.

I'd be really surprised if he decided to hang up his skate's at 33. I wasn't liking him much when we played the Duck's , but good player's are alway's hated in the opposing team's fan's. there's no doubt he's one of the best defencemen , and the NHL would lose one of their best player's if he did.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Neidermayer never mentioned one word of this to Burke prior to the playoffs. In fact, I'd put money down that when he signed with the Ducks he more than likely mentioned to Burke the idea of retiring if he won the Cup.

If he does retire I imagine the Ducks will resign Giggy. But if I were Burke, I'd use that $6M to sign two dmen.

He's not leaning one way or the other, so I assume he'll either play another year or finish the two on his contract. He'll really be sure when he goes.

I agree with everything said here- he is SO classy, for a guy who has played with Pronger and kept his lips sealed through it all. He is very skilled, and it would be a shame to see him go.

As for leaving at the last possible second, he just wouldn't do that. He's part of a team, and you just don't hurt your team like that.

One last thing- if he retires, the Norris Trophy will go to Lidstrom.

The runner-ups will be Phaneuf and unfortunately Pronger (who else?).

Nieds retires = $2 mil cap room

Selanne retires = $3.75 mil cap room

Giguere goes to L.A. = $4 mil cap room

Ducks getting their wings clipped = priceless

lol

Is there any serious talk of Giguere going to L.A.?

They're committed to Cloutier for two more miserable seasons at 3.1 mill.

I still can't believe the Kings made that deal. They screwed that team for three years with that signing. The best they looked all last year was when Burke came out of retirement to play.

And honestly I'd be surprised if Niedermayer retired. He's only 33.

Still, he's done about all you can do. Won what, 4 Cups now? and the Conn Smythe?

There's not a whole lot left to do other than try and win another one. and he knows how hard it is to do.

It would definitely be going out on top. And a huge blow to the Ducks blueline.

Nothing has made me laugh that hard in a long time, committed to Dan Cloutier!!!

hahahahahahahaha, cut it out I may pee my pants!!!

I live in Manchester NH, the Monarchs play there, and let me tell you something, Clouts may not get to see the end of that two year deal. They have got some great young goaltending. Now I know it is only AHL competition, but both of these guys have quick glove hands and are solid positionally, and are big guys.

Labarbera is 6'3 230

Brust is 6'2 235

They also have Fukufuji.

Edit: lost my home keys!

Edited by Opie

I still can't believe the Kings made that deal. They screwed that team for three years with that signing. The best they looked all last year was when Burke came out of retirement to play.

And honestly I'd be surprised if Niedermayer retired. He's only 33.

Still, he's done about all you can do. Won what, 4 Cups now? and the Conn Smythe?

There's not a whole lot left to do other than try and win another one. and he knows how hard it is to do.

It would definitely be going out on top. And a huge blow to the Ducks blueline.

Well, everyone here has heard that LA is a possibility, but I've also heard that Giguere said he'd never go to L.A. (which probably means he will, ha). Guess we'll have to wait and see. I know he/his family love it in OC, but money talks....

I also read a comment on the Ducks board that they thought Selanne may go to the Red Wings if he doesn't retire, and how they'd disown him if he did. Now THAT'S a little far fetched.

He has every right to retire and wouldn't be surprised if he did but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. But like Scott Stevens said he's done everything. Why wouldn't it be good to step away after cup #4, a conn smythe and winning a cup with your brother? What a blow it would be if they lost him and Selanne.

Guest DetroitIan

It makes sense in a way, to go out on top. However, being runner-up to the Norris should make him realize that he hasnt lost anything with age. And for the good of the game he needs to come back. But since I hate him, if he does decide to hang em up, I say don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. PEACE OUT Scotty boy.

Neidermayer is 33 years of age, he's not retiring, thats a bunch of bull.

I mean come on, your health is good, you do something you love, your on a team thats on the high rise.

90% chance he doesn't retire, if he does, I will be shocked, and that will be crazy.

I've been hearing strong rumours about this too. LA desperately wants to make the playoffs and they have a lot of room under the cap. Add in the fact that Giggy's pads will want at least $6M while Anaheim has a very cheap, capable backup in Ilya Bryzgalov (who led them to the conference finals in 06).

I just don't see Burke commiting $6-7M to Giggy's pads, along with the huge salaries of Neidermayer and Pronger. Especially when you think about the upcoming contracts needed to keep Getzlaf and the rest.

They could probably do it, but things will be tight.

Edited by Hank

Well, everyone here has heard that LA is a possibility, but I've also heard that Giguere said he'd never go to L.A. (which probably means he will, ha). Guess we'll have to wait and see. I know he/his family love it in OC, but money talks....

I also read a comment on the Ducks board that they thought Selanne may go to the Red Wings if he doesn't retire, and how they'd disown him if he did. Now THAT'S a little far fetched.

If he was traded to L.A., it's not like it would be a big move for his family, if at all.

It'd be nice to see any respectable goaltender between the pipes for the Kings. You could tell they just had no confidence with Cloutier back there.

Nothing has made me laugh that hard in a long time, committed to Dan Cloutier!!!

I was referring to the fact that the Kings are stuck with him for two more years because of his contract.

Not that they thought he was their number one guy. He's already more than proven there that he isn't.

I dont think he will be hanging his skates up just yet. Part of me wished he would, only for the fact that whenever we play them and the announcers say 'Niedermayer' my dad has to repeat it! :lol: started off as a joke because of the movie 'Animal House' but now he does it all the time.... :crazy:

If he was traded to L.A., it's not like it would be a big move for his family, if at all.

It'd be nice to see any respectable goaltender between the pipes for the Kings. You could tell they just had no confidence with Cloutier back there.

I was referring to the fact that the Kings are stuck with him for two more years because of his contract.

Not that they thought he was their number one guy. He's already more than proven there that he isn't.

That's what I was laughing at they are stuck with him for another two years hahahahahaha stop it your killing me!!!

What a *****.

He must not like hockey all that much....I dont care what you've won, if you love the game you will play till your 40. Heck, he's getting millions to do it, and he makes it look easy to boot.

Guest DetroitIan

What a *****.

He must not like hockey all that much....I dont care what you've won, if you love the game you will play till your 40. Heck, he's getting millions to do it, and he makes it look easy to boot.

Exactly. :clap: