• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Opie

Filppula vs Hudler

Rate this topic

It seems as though Babs has taken two different stances with these guys.

Filppula got decent ice time, was put out there in more critical situations.

While Hudler got low minutes and was almost never on the ice in critical situations.

As a DRW fan from outside of Michigan I am wondering what I missed. Was there some issues between them in training camp? Does one practice any harder than the other?

Just wondering because to me skill wise they looked to be on pretty even footing, and Hudler (as I recall) was more highly regarded coming up.

Do any of you guys know what precipitated this?

I think the biggest difference between them in Babcock's mind was maturity level. Filppula seems to play wise beyond his years. Seems to put himself in better situations and plays better overall game. Babs notices that and so he puts him into the game when it counts. Babcock has said time and time again that Hudler would have to earn his ice time. I'm just beginning to wonder what Hudler has done to not earn it.

Thanks for the info, I wish I was closer so I could watch the local sports stations or listen to the local sports talk radio to hear some of this stuff!!!

Guest LivingtheDream

Filpulla has superior whells, has a better all around game, and is just the better player, plain and simple.

Amen. Flip plays with intensity and goes balls out every shift. You don't see that kind of both-sides-of-the-ice effort from Hudler. I also think Flip is a far more complete player. Hey, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Hudler, but it has been no mystery that he has to play his fricking ass off all the time to play for Babcock.

Amen. Flip plays with intensity and goes balls out every shift. You don't see that kind of both-sides-of-the-ice effort from Hudler. I also think Flip is a far more complete player. Hey, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Hudler, but it has been no mystery that he has to play his fricking ass off all the time to play for Babcock.

Filppula is definitely the more all-around player, and more reliable to boot.

But to answer the OP's question, the general concensus is the size that each dog brings to the game. Hudler has a lot more to compensate for when he gets out on the ice--I don't know about him having defensive laxness, but that's something I'd have to watch for in the pre-season when it comes around.

--

To add to a long post though, Huds is the more talented player in my opinion. I haven't seen too many people assess -that- part of either player on here, but I'm pretty curious to people's ideas on that. If he can add any bulk to his frame or keep players from shutting him down out there, he seriously would be the better player of the two--and I'm already pretty sold on Flip, <--- per the username.

When you watch the guy in the corners, you can see how Hudler relies on grabbing the puck and wheeling away from players down there, and that he's decent at that. Same with his skill with puckhandling.

Edited by Flip-check

Yeah I think Filppula is the better of the two, and I hope he continues to improve and stay with the Wings organization. Hes a skilled player, and I think hes pretty solid with some of his dekes. He's no Pavel Datsyuk, put hes pretty talented too. Hudler has no Defensive back checking ability, but has a better shot of the two players.

thats just my two cents.

I read somewhere, either on Detroit News Online or the Free Press Online late in the regular season that more/less stated that Babcock is constantly riding Hudler and making him really work for his ice time because he thinks Hudler can establish a night-in/night-out presecence in the NHL eventually, either with Detroit or with somebody else, and that he knows Hudler in all likelihood will continue to bust his rear off to play and he requires very little motivation to get on the ice.

Would I have liked to see Rex out there more? Of course, but remember that when he played a brief tenure with the Wings in either 2003 or 2004, he was only 19. He's only in his early 20s now so he still has plenty of time to make an impact and establish himself. I hope it is still with the Wings for the next few seasons, and we'll see if his career can take off in a positive way.

In terms of the overall game between the two, I'll give that edge to Flipper. Hudler has better finishing ability though IMO.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest DetroitIan

I really like Huds. But I see more potential in Flipper. I look forward to watching this guy grow as a hockey player.

I find it hilarious that everyone is talking abou Hudler's 'total lack of defensive ablity.'

Hudler may not have played Selke caliber defense, but he was much better defensively this season than Datsyuk was in 2002. Would you say Datsyuk is a defensive liability?

Filppula is better defensively and bigger, but as far as offensive game is concerned, Hudler>>>>>>>>>Filppula.

Filppula is way better. He has enough to potential to put good numbers, and is a great 2-way forward also. Plus he's one of my favorites on the Wings, so naturally I feel he's better. :P

I still keep thinking the Wings should just forget about signing centers in the offseason and just Filppula play on the 2nd line. He's more than capable. Look at how good he played in the playoffs with slightly (not much more, but still slightly) more minutes.

I know being in the New England area we are psycho about sports and knowing all that we can about prospects and trades.

Is it that way in the D as well. For instance the nightly sports TV shows will tell you what Josh Beckett has done to change his routine on his off days as well as covering who the C's may trade their pick for as well as what they may do with their 3rd rounder.

It is crazy the detail these shows go into, the only crappy part is I am not really a Bruins fan so I don't care what is going on there, I would like this info on the wings though.

Do you guys get this kind of coverage from FSN or something?

Edit Spelling!

Edited by Opie

I find it hilarious that everyone is talking abou Hudler's 'total lack of defensive ablity.'

Hudler may not have played Selke caliber defense, but he was much better defensively this season than Datsyuk was in 2002. Would you say Datsyuk is a defensive liability?

Filppula is better defensively and bigger, but as far as offensive game is concerned, Hudler>>>>>>>>>Filppula.

I agree.

What kind of defensive ability had Larionov?! IMO Larionov was even more poor on defense than Hudler, but obviously it didn't matter.

I agree.

What kind of defensive ability had Larionov?! IMO Larionov was even more poor on defense than Hudler, but obviously it didn't matter.

Larionov was a solid defensive player. Not sure where you're getting the idea he wasn't. Except maybe the mistaken concept people seem to have that all offensively skilled Europeans can't play defense.

Larionov was a solid defensive player. Not sure where you're getting the idea he wasn't. Except maybe the mistaken concept people seem to have that all offensively skilled Europeans can't play defense.

That would probably be it. It's all one big cliche.

I think larionov's weakness wasn't D, it was his overall speed. Remember the Luc-Igor-Homer line, that had to be the slowest NHL line ever to take the ice.

As I remember he was responsible in his own end not a Selky winner or anything but responsible.

Remember the Luc-Igor-Homer line, that had to be the slowest NHL line ever to take the ice.

If you were to put together a Yashin-Lang-Scott Parker line, that would easily surpass it as the slowest line ever.