• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kindlwillbegreat

what are our chances of keeping our 1st rd pick ?

Rate this topic

i bring this up cause i just think theres no chance that were gonna draft this friday , i think the wings will trade the 1st round pick for 2 2nd rounders and go for 2 players they want since we dont have many picks this season .......any thoughts ??? you guys think we'll keep the pick?

I could see us trading it for two 2nd rounders, it would be nice to snag someone + Akim Aliu in the 2nd rather than using our 1st on him

Edited by skacore

why does everyone want aliu ?? doesnt he have some attitude problem ?? i dont think we'd take him

here are some teams with more then one 2nd round pick

washington 34-46

vancouver 33-56(optional) - 61

colorado 45-49-55

columbus 37-53

chicago 35-56 ( optional)

florida 40-58

i can see us maybe dealing with florida -columbus or colorado

iv'e checked out some players around the net and here are a few guys i wouldnt mind landing here

forwards

nick palmieri

eric tangradi

maxim mayorov

defense

ian cole

harri illvonen

roberto bortuzzo

josh kidd

goalies

kent patterson ( ushl) ( hes basically a yr younger then everyone, didnt have much playin time so he could be good)

joel gistedt

jeremy smith

Don't the Wings have to drop the pick if they re-sign Bertuzzi? I thought that was part of the compensation Florida got when we made the deal.

Regardless, I don't see the Wings using it. There are no up and coming small skilled Swedes in this years draft. ;)

Don't the Wings have to drop the pick if they re-sign Bertuzzi? I thought that was part of the compensation Florida got when we made the deal.

Regardless, I don't see the Wings using it. There are no up and coming small skilled Swedes in this years draft. ;)

we give up a 3rd round pick in 2008 i believe or is it a 2nd ?? lol i still cant believe were still paying for that cory cross trade .....ridiculous

i think theyd trade this years 1st pick since after that pick they gotta wait a good 50 spots to pick and then another 60 to pick again lol

If they wait till FA and then re-sign Bertuzzi , they dont have to give anything up.

If they wait till FA and then re-sign Bertuzzi , they dont have to give anything up.

In that case, I'll bet that's what Kenny and Bertuzzi's agent are fluttering over right now. It wouldn't surprise me if they already have a deal in place, but are waiting until free agency so they don't have to give up the pick.

Something tells me Kenny is still planning to use the pick as trade bait. I can't imagine who he's after, but I hope to God it's Mark Bell. :cool:

In that case, I'll bet that's what Kenny and Bertuzzi's agent are fluttering over right now. It wouldn't surprise me if they already have a deal in place, but are waiting until free agency so they don't have to give up the pick.

Something tells me Kenny is still planning to use the pick as trade bait. I can't imagine who he's after, but I hope to God it's Mark Bell. :cool:

That'd be sweet. Bells big , can score and can fight. Plus he needs a new start and it worked for Calder , it can work for Bell :D

I could be wrong, but I remember it being a 'conditionial 1st round pick'. From what I've read, I understand that the conditional part of that pick is it's a 1st round this years draft if they re-sign him before the draft, or in next years draft if they sign him after it.

If this is the case, and Bert is going to be re-signed, you gotta think that Kenny wants to get it done before the draft, as this draft class is considered by many to be one of the weakest ever. Despite there being no clear cut number one pick, the talent level really drops off after the first 10 or so picks.

IMO, if Bert isn't coming back, I try to send the pick somewhere for someone that can help the Wings out now. I'd take my chances on some young forwards who have talent but just haven't been able to get things going. As much as people don't like him, I think Zherdev would be a good fit. However, I'm not sure he is worth a 1st rounder. On that token, I'm not sure there is anyone who the Wings could realisticly get that I would give up a 1st rounder for. So maybe deal it for two 2nd's, and send a 2nd and a prospect for someone like Zherdev.

Judging by the reported conditions of the trade, the Red Wings have given up their 2007 2nd round pick.

Bertuzzi played in 2/3rds of the Wings games but was not one of the team's top five (Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Cleary, Samuelsson, respectively) scorers.

If the Wings advanced to the SCF it would've been a 1st-rounder regardless.

So, as it stands today, it's Shawn Matthias and a 2007 2nd-rounder. If Bertuzzi re-signs later you can add a 2008 2nd-rounder to the final tally.

*Quoted from Matt from another thread!

Edit Link to thread

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...amp;hl=Bertuzzi

This post goes into a little more detail:

QUOTE(OsGOD @ May 23, 2007 - 10:50AM) *

Even with a resign... we gave up nothing more than " fictitious possibilties".... would we have drafted someone who became great... perhaps... would we have drafted someone who became a bust... perhaps.

Nothing more, nothing less. Great pickup.

It's my understanding that there were two conditions.

(1) If (a) Bertuzzi plays in at least 2/3 of the Wings playoff games AND they make it to the SC Finals OR (b) Bertuzzi is one of the Wings top 5 playoff scorers AND they make it to the WCF then Florida gets a 1st rounder in 2007. Anything less, they get a 2nd or 3rd rounder at Detroit's option which, of course will be a 3rd rounder.

(2) If Bertuzzi re-signs with the Wings in July of 2007 then Florida gets a 2nd rounder in 2008.

Results:

(1) They didn't do (a) since they didn't advance to the SCF. As far as (b) Bert was the 6th highest scorer with 10 points behind Lidstrom (18), Datsyuk (15), Zetterberg (14), Cleary (12) and Samuelsson (11). So the Wings have the option to give up a 2nd or 3rd. I'd think they'd naturally opt to give up the third.

(2) Remains to be seen.

Thanks Wings_Fan_in_KC

Edited by Opie

he's a head case, bigtime head case from what I've heard and not the kind of person I would want to see in a Red Wing jersey

Not sure if you have read the thread about the wings taking a chance on him, but there are a couple of really good articles that explain the stories between him and Downie and actually show that Downie was the ass. I do not know much about Aliu, so you may be right, but I know a lot of people have said they judged him based on the Downie escapade. But like I said you may know more and if you do please share.

That is the beauty of this board so many people from so many different areas, there are a lot of sources for first/second hand info on guys like this.

whatever we do, I hope we stay far far away from Akim Aliu

why all the dislike for akim aliu? He is getting a fresh start with one of the best OHL teams around. Seems like he has grown up a bit too Aliu

Would love to see this kid in the Wings system, he will be a great player if he can get past all the off ice stuff. He also speaks russian and the Wings could keep a watchful eye on him considering he is only a 2hr drive away from Mo town since hes playing with the Knights this season.

why all the dislike for akim aliu? He is getting a fresh start with one of the best OHL teams around. Seems like he has grown up a bit too Aliu

Would love to see this kid in the Wings system, he will be a great player if he can get past all the off ice stuff. He also speaks russian and the Wings could keep a watchful eye on him considering he is only a 2hr drive away from Mo town since hes playing with the Knights this season.

The kid is on his 3rd team in as many years. That says two things.

1. There is some truth to trouble following him around.

2. He is talented enough that teams are willing to try to work with him.

If any team in the NHL can straighten this kid out, it's Detroit. But the questions remains, is he worth it.

defense

ian cole

harri illvonen

roberto bortuzzo

josh kidd

goalies

Todd Bertuzzi + Roberto Luongo = Roberto Bortuzzo. I guess if you combined the two, you'd have a pretty good defenseman, let's pick him up.

Todd Bertuzzi + Roberto Luongo = Roberto Bortuzzo. I guess if you combined the two, you'd have a pretty good defenseman, let's pick him up.

lmao if only it was that easy :P , he did play with the kitchner rangers and jakub kindl so that can a plus i guess that they know one another ......heres some info on him if anyone was wondering what kind of player he was

17. Roberto Bortuzzo, D, Kitchener Rangers

Mar. 18, 1989

At 6'4 and already 205 pounds, the 18-year-old blueliner has already filled out a lot of his frame, yet still has room to grow. And, as a solid stay-at-home type blueliner, the Thunder Bay product has the size and presence to keep opposition forwards clear of his goalie's goalmouth.

Bortuzzo's offensive game is still in its infancy, as he only accounted for 14 points in 63 games. And his shot isn't exactly leaving anyone quaking in fear with only two goals to his name this year. However, if a club is looking to make a sizable investment in keeping pucks out of their own net, then a defensive defenseman like Bortuzzo's ripe for the picking.