• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DetroitIan

Andy Sutton

Rate this topic

Guest DetroitIan

I know Kenny's number one priority for defense this offseason, is to sign Schneider. So Im guessing that will probably happen. But who knows if we will end up retaining Markov. So if we don't end up keeping Markov, how about Andy Sutton for a replacememt? They guy throws his body around as well, yet doesnt have major injury problems. And hes very gritty. He usually only finishes with 20 points or so at the end of the year. But scoring really isnt his role. I think he would be a great addition for our defensive core. Cause I don't wanna lose a good hitter in Markov, without getting someone that can bang around as well. What do you guys think?

I know Kenny's number one priority for defense this offseason, is to sign Schneider. So Im guessing that will probably happen. But who knows if we will end up retaining Markov. So if we don't end up keeping Markov, how about Andy Sutton for a replacememt? They guy throws his body around as well, yet doesnt have major injury problems. And hes very gritty. He usually only finishes with 20 points or so at the end of the year. But scoring really isnt his role. I think he would be a great addition for our defensive core. Cause I don't wanna lose a good hitter in Markov, without getting someone that can bang around as well. What do you guys think?

I like Sutton. But I think if they don't resign Markov then we'll have Quincy, who's NHL ready, as well as Meech, who's no longer waiver eligable.

Guest DetroitIan

I like Sutton. But I think if they don't resign Markov then we'll have Quincy, who's NHL ready, as well as Meech, who's no longer waiver eligable.

Yeah I must say, I was very impressed with how totally poised Quincy was each game he was in. I guess for me, I just want us to get someone that can smash dudes just as good if not better then Markov. Other then a goal, nothing seams to pump me up more during a Red Wings game, then seeing one of our guys just asbolutely crush someone(which obviously doesnt happen often, lol). I could definitely live with Quincy, but damn would I be pleased if we snagged Sutton.

I would rather have veteran DEF than Quincy (and I like this guy)... I found somewhere that Sutton is asking around $4M - so I think that's out of our range. I think that we need big body - classic stay at home DEF!

If we can have Sutton for $2M - $2.5M than I say this is our guy... If not, there is Vishenvski

Guest DetroitIan

I would rather have veteran DEF than Quincy (and I like this guy)... I found somewhere that Sutton is asking around $4M - so I think that's out of our range. I think that we need big body - classic stay at home DEF!

If we can have Sutton for $2M - $2.5M than I say this is our guy... If not, there is Vishenvski

Ouch. Yeah if he is asking for 4 mill, then I definitely don't want Kenny spending that much. But then again, I dont see a ton of GMs giving up that much for Sutton. So maybe we can get him for around 2 mill or so. That would be perfect.

Guest Crymson

We've got Lilja. We don't need spend the money on another defenseman.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Crymson

Guest DetroitIan

We've got Lilja. We really don't need an expensive 7th D-man.

Sutton is definitely not a 7th defenseman. Hes not a top 4 d-man either, but he brings alot to the table. A hell of alot more than Lilja can bring. Sutton is tougher, faster and offensively better than Lilja. He is better than Lilja in every aspect of defense. I say we sign Sutton for 2 mill(if we can). And Lilja can come up in the lineup if we have injuries.

Yeah I must say, I was very impressed with how totally poised Quincy was each game he was in. I guess for me, I just want us to get someone that can smash dudes just as good if not better then Markov. Other then a goal, nothing seams to pump me up more during a Red Wings game, then seeing one of our guys just asbolutely crush someone(which obviously doesnt happen often, lol). I could definitely live with Quincy, but damn would I be pleased if we snagged Sutton.

And Sutton likes to toss 'em once in a while too, just like Markov would at times.

Nothing pumped me up more than watching Markov jump on a pile of Flames in game 1(?). I think it was at that moment that I realised this was a different team than previous years. The Wings weren't going to take crap from anybody!

Guest Crymson

Sutton is definitely not a 7th defenseman. Hes not a top 4 d-man either, but he brings alot to the table. A hell of alot more than Lilja can bring. Sutton is tougher, faster and offensively better than Lilja. He is better than Lilja in every aspect of defense. I say we sign Sutton for 2 mill(if we can). And Lilja can come up in the lineup if we have injuries.

My point was that we already have Lilja. Quincey can easily serve as 7th D-man. We don't need Sutton who, yes, is expensive.

$2m? Dream on.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I don't watch the Thrashers so somebody please fill me in. Is this the same Andy Sutton who struggled year in and year out to be an NHL regular? Is this the same gi-normous, slow-moving pylon prone to untimely and undisciplined penalties and the occasional Pronger-esque cheap shot? Has this guy really improved so much in the past few years he's commanding 4 million? Was he wearing a mask and brandishing a glock when he asked for that?

I know he's big and he can toss 'em a bit, however he's typically outmatched by other legitimate heavyweights (hence I recall him often fighting guys that aren't true heavies and him getting a bit of a bad rep as being a guy who won't fight the good fight just the ones he knows he can win) But other than his great size and ability to fight could this guy ever keep up in a Wings system of play?

If I were going to pay 4 million for a d-man i'd just keep Markov rather than pay this guy.

I don't watch the Thrashers so somebody please fill me in. Is this the same Andy Sutton who struggled year in and year out to be an NHL regular? Is this the same gi-normous, slow-moving pylon prone to untimely and undisciplined penalties and the occasional Pronger-esque cheap shot? Has this guy really improved so much in the past few years he's commanding 4 million? Was he wearing a mask and brandishing a glock when he asked for that?

I know he's big and he can toss 'em a bit, however he's typically outmatched by other legitimate heavyweights (hence I recall him often fighting guys that aren't true heavies and him getting a bit of a bad rep as being a guy who won't fight the good fight just the ones he knows he can win) But other than his great size and ability to fight could this guy ever keep up in a Wings system of play?

If I were going to pay 4 million for a d-man i'd just keep Markov rather than pay this guy.

Guest DetroitIan

And Sutton likes to toss 'em once in a while too, just like Markov would at times.

Nothing pumped me up more than watching Markov jump on a pile of Flames in game 1(?). I think it was at that moment that I realised this was a different team than previous years. The Wings weren't going to take crap from anybody!

I was so stoked to see Markov's superman dive also. I just don't wanna lose that dimension to the team. And yeah, not only will Sutton drop the gloves, he's a damn good fighter as well. I just hope we either sign Sutton, or that we can keep Markov. Either way I want a d-man to throw his body around and stick up for his teammates. Sutton would be absolutely perfect for that role with this Red Wings squad. :thumbup:

Vishnevski would not fill the void that Markov would leave. With that said, Quincey is a cheaper and younger option.

I was so stoked to see Markov's superman dive also. I just don't wanna lose that dimension to the team. And yeah, not only will Sutton drop the gloves, he's a damn good fighter as well. I just hope we either sign Sutton, or that we can keep Markov. Either way I want a d-man to throw his body around and stick up for his teammates. Sutton would be absolutely perfect for that role with this Red Wings squad. :thumbup:

He can/will drop the gloves and he's good fighter...

Lilja can drop the gloves... but he isn't good fighter... :P

Guest DetroitIan

$2m? Dream on.

You might be correct there. If Sutton really does stick to wanting 4 mill. Then I definitely want us to pass on him. But who knows, maybe once he realizes no one wants to give him 4 mill per year, he will lower his asking price. And if he does, we need to jump on that.

Vishnevski would not fill the void that Markov would leave. With that said, Quincey is a cheaper and younger option.

Vishnevski has more experience (than Quincey)... and we can have him for around $1.5M

Edited by Dominator2005

Guest DetroitIan

Is he good enough to be asking for 4 mill?? Definitely not. But he would be an excellent addition to our D if we could get him somewhere between 2 and 2.5 mill. And with getting about 20 points per season, he definitely brings more offense to the table then Lilja or Markov.

Is he good enough to be asking for 4 mill?? Definitely not. But he would be an excellent addition to our D if we could get him somewhere between 2 and 2.5 mill. And with getting about 20 points per season, he definitely brings more offense to the table then Lilja or Markov.

I hope we are not going to sign him for his offense... What we need is a big stay-at-home defensmen...

Guest DetroitIan

I hope we are not going to sign him for his offense... What we need is a big stay-at-home defensmen...

Oh yeah we deifnitely wont be signing him for his offense. But it is pretty sweet that not only does he bang around and protect his teammates and do his job on D, he can also help on the scoreboard here and there.

maybe we can trade lilja for like a 5th round pick or something?

Yeah if we can even get that. :P