• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ltgator333

Latest from Shanny

Rate this topic

Fetisov won 2 Cups in 4 seasons with Detroit. That's an even better percentage. What's your point?

...and Jiri Slegr won 1 cup in only a few games! :rotflmao:

..on a different note, speaking of Fetisov, I sure would LOVE to see him and Larionov be our coach/asst. coach SOON!!!!

Edited by LeftWinger

But no where near the level of pure hatred that Fedorov receives.

Seriously though, what does the average of years to Cup wins have to do with anything?

Not a whole lot I guess, just something I threw out b/c it seemed sense to the argument supporting Shanahan while he was here, he helped the Wings win so much at a fairly good pace, just went to work, didn't really throw hissy fits or complain, just went about his business, etc.

Not a whole lot I guess, just something I threw out b/c it seemed sense to the argument supporting Shanahan while he was here, he helped the Wings win so much at a fairly good pace, just went to work, didn't really throw hissy fits or complain, just went about his business, etc.

True, he was a class act when he was here. However, I fail to see how the fact that Detroit won 3 Cups makes any significant difference. Or rather why it should for Shanny, when most people won't give Sergei that same respect.

I respect Shanny, and the way he plays the game. I do not respect how he left. Regardless what anyone has to say about it being on 'good terms'. The fact of the matter is Shanny's ego didn't allow him to stay here.

I guess my biggest problem with it really has nothing to do with Shanny, and everything to do with the fact that Sergei left the team for LESS money, and was fairly open about wanting to be the guy. Shanny took similar cash, but didn't say much as to why he left. He wasn't going to be the guy like he thought he would be when Stevie left. He couldn't handle that, so he left. I do not respect that.

I hope he never wins a Cup with the Rangers, as long as Jagr is there.

You mean SCF? I'm not sure what SFF means...

No, great seeker of arguments, I meant SFF.... Okay I did not really mean SFF but how dos that matter? I make a post and you actually took time to leave only one post about how I should've put SCF? Thanks.

Seriously though. Shannahan did leave with class. He left for the same amount of money, so that means he wasn't money hungry. I don't think he left for the stardom considering that Jagr is over there. He was rumored to say he always wanted to play on broadway. Almost everyone else was gone and he didn't see eye to eye with Babs. (rumored, again) He was great here and I think the fact that he played a significant role in the lifting of 3 Stanely Cups plays a huge role in how we should feel about him. We as detroit fans are pampered with players lik Lids and Stevie staing for the long hull. Almost no other players do that. I bet some of you still hate your ex-girlfriend from middle school fo dumping you for something differant. Who knows maybe he bed down with Babs's wife? Anyhow I hope we meet him in the SFF!!!

...and Jiri Slegr won 1 cup in only a few games! :rotflmao:

..on a different note, speaking of Fetisov, I sure would LOVE to see him and Larionov be our coach/asst. coach SOON!!!!

Fetisov's busy, and he did that once.. ended up throwing a bench onto the ice while he was coaching in NJ.

Larionov is too laid back, he'd make a sweet like behind the scenes coach, or an assistant but I don't think Larionov's gonna give anyone hell when they need it.

..now don't get me wrong I like both of those guys, Larionov's one of my favs but.

I wish they had picked Slegr back up at the time, but then he ended up playin in Germany or some s*** so he couldn't have been all THAT good.

Back on topic though I have never understood the 'sour grapes' mentality out of some of you around here regarding former Red Wings, especially ones like Shanny and Feds that did some good things for the team and for us as fans. Sure Feds didn't leave on good terms but yaknow what I wouldn't boo the guy if he came back. Wouldn't even cross my mind. Same goes for Shanny. I mean, what do you guys want, a Stevie Y or Nik Lidstrom out of every player? It don't work like that, we're dayum fortunate (lucky) that those guys played here their whole career, or in the case of Lidstrom possibly his whole career.

They moved on, yeah it still trips me out to see Feds in a Columbus BJ's sweater and as I stated initially it still is a 'wow' to see Shanny in a NYR sweater, but that's just how it goes.

How many of you have worked 15yrs at you're current job doing the same thing the whole time, or will be? Exactly.

Some times it's just time to hit the road and see what's out there.

Edited by ltgator333

No, great seeker of arguments, I meant SFF.... Okay I did not really mean SFF but how dos that matter? I make a post and you actually took time to leave only one post about how I should've put SCF? Thanks.

Seriously though. Shannahan did leave with class. He left for the same amount of money, so that means he wasn't money hungry. I don't think he left for the stardom considering that Jagr is over there. He was rumored to say he always wanted to play on broadway. Almost everyone else was gone and he didn't see eye to eye with Babs. (rumored, again) He was great here and I think the fact that he played a significant role in the lifting of 3 Stanely Cups plays a huge role in how we should feel about him. We as detroit fans are pampered with players lik Lids and Stevie staing for the long hull. Almost no other players do that. I bet some of you still hate your ex-girlfriend from middle school fo dumping you for something differant. Who knows maybe he bed down with Babs's wife? Anyhow I hope we meet him in the SFF!!!

I didn't meant to sound condescending, I was asking a legit question. Poor phrasing on my part.

I've been a Shanahan fan since his days in Saint Louis. He's one of the best.

He left the Wings because the Wings were becoming a new team. We weren't going to be the Yzerman, Federov, Shanahan Company anymore. Now our future is with players like Zetterberg. Shanahan was right for the era of Wings history he was here for. He was not right for the new era we are in. So Shanahan, instead of taking a roster spot, millions of dollars and being on a team that is not best for him and which his abilities could not be used to the fullest extent, he left for a team that did need him.

I wonder if Shanahan had played for the Wings last season and sucked how many would want him in Detroit? Say he netted only 20 something goals would he have been down graded to the Lang "lazy and sucks" category or would we excuse the play for "leadership skills"? Me thinks we would have harped on poor play.

And for league politics, if Shanahan is ever going to be Commissioner then NY is the place to be, not Detroit. Everything he says is national hockey news in New York. I hope he does well in New York for another season, perhaps even win the Cup, retire, and get a high posistion in the league offices and begin a de-Bettman of the NHL.

The Shanahan, Yzerman, Federov era is gone. Remember it. Love it. And look forward to the bright future of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and perhaps 15 more season with Chelios (even if it's just for Three Stars laps in Vancouver).

See thats where I differ from most. I may be in the minority on this opinion, but personally, I dont wanna see him have any success with NY. I rooted against them all last season soley because of Shanahan. I was a die-hard Shanny fan for 10 solid years. Then he ups and leaves us for the same amount of money? You know how great it would have been if we had won the Cup this year, and Shanny has to see all our boys hoisting the Cup. That would have been great. I bet he would have regretted his decision to leave. I know most Wings fans didnt want him anyways, so for them its easy to root for him. But I wanted Shanny to stay, and retire in the winged wheel. Yet he left us high and dry. I will never root for him in that Rangers jersey. Hell, I hope they dont make the playoffs, just like they almost didnt this season. And I really hope we win the Cup next season, then Shanny can look and wonder why he would leave the most winning hockey club since the 90-91 season. I know alot of people will say for me to get over it. But no, I wont. Shanny was my second favorite player behind Yzerman. So theres no way I wanna see him hoist the Cup in that Rangers uniform. :thumbdown:

im right there w/ you bro... have no worries. that was a real ***** thing to do, and i hope he never wins another cup. i realy could give two s***s if people think thats retarted, they are blind to reality... he left the wings high and dry... fuggim

im right there w/ you bro... have no worries. that was a real ***** thing to do, and i hope he never wins another cup. i realy could give two s***s if people think thats retarted, they are blind to reality... he left the wings high and dry... fuggim

:looney:

Down with Feds too like someone else said.

Wanker. Feds was the greatest pure tallent the Wings ever had in the modern era other then Stevie.

Feds left due to a managerial misunderstanding when it came down to it.

Feds loved Detroit and was the poster boy for their rise to prominance in the 90's.

Feds is my hero. :thumbup:

GST

"Jeez, I hope you swear undying loyalty to one company the rest of your life and you better never leave them. If you do i'll wish ill will towards you, your new job and anything else I can think of.

Shanahan left on fantastic terms. His time had passed in Detroit. We could've used him but he wasn't the same player he used to be. We were bringing in a new wave of Detroit superstars and Shanny said himself he felt he was a part of the past and should move on to make room for the new guys and to find a new home for himself and new challenges. Oh yeah, that's like the worst thing a guy has ever done to a franchise before.

Sometimes I sit and stare at this s*** I see people saying on this forum and I just think....WTF, I have to share the same air with some of these schmucks? Can people really be that freaking stupid and selfish?"

Nice post Sparky. Why do I care on how everyone felt when Shanny left? He left because he wasn't going to be the main guy, and in all likelihood he knew he wasn't going to get the 'C'.

And no, me pledging my life to a company is not the same as what Shanny did here. He gave his all to the Wings. He did great things here. But he wasn't drafted by the Wings, and when it's all said and done he will have spent more time in his career not wearing the winged-wheel than wearing it.

Your analogy is terrible, as is your analysis of my post. It's clear that you are a Shanny fan, and that is the problem. I will never root for the guy again in my life.

I never really liked Shanny. I never disliked him either. He was dependable, but once we signed Hull, I thought he was also expendable.

I'm not hurt that he left, but I was upset how he left. And for that reason alone, I don't want the guy to have success.

How does this make me selfish? What do I gain from any of this?

Nice post Sparky, nice post.

What exactly, in your opinion, was wrong with the way he left?

IMO, he handled it in a mature, adult way..... he didn't destroy a locker room or a teams chances during the play-offs with controversy and poisionous emotion...... he made his decision early and stuck to it..... never said a bad thing about anyone or anything...... classy.

Shanny took similar cash, but didn't say much as to why he left. He wasn't going to be the guy like he thought he would be when Stevie left. He couldn't handle that, so he left. I do not respect that.

What is your source for that???? how you would feel??? I never saw anything about that..... It couldn't have been with Stevie retiring that the core that he had been a part of was mostly gone.... and it was going to be too painful to re-work all the old relationships, with the same numbers, on different faces. It is hard work to meld with a team, of any kind, let alone when you sorely miss too many people on it..... Sometimes, if you are going to be starting over, it makes sense to do it in a new place, where there is less pressure about what you used to be a part of....so you can focus on what is ahead..... not the past. I suspect, being a monkey like Shanny, this is why..... It is exactly what I would have done, it was time for him to move forward, not dwell on the past. Just like the team had to when Stevie retired.

What exactly, in your opinion, was wrong with the way he left?

IMO, he handled it in a mature, adult way..... he didn't destroy a locker room or a teams chances during the play-offs with controversy and poisionous emotion...... he made his decision early and stuck to it..... never said a bad thing about anyone or anything...... classy.

Detroit wanted him back. His ego couldn't take not being the guy. So he left. That isn't classy. Just because he didn't kick and whine doesn't make it classy.

Wanker. Feds was the greatest pure tallent the Wings ever had in the modern era other then Stevie.

Feds left due to a managerial misunderstanding when it came down to it.

Feds loved Detroit and was the poster boy for their rise to prominance in the 90's.

Feds is my hero. :thumbup:

:clap: Feds WILL be back!

Detroit wanted him back. His ego couldn't take not being the guy. So he left. That isn't classy. Just because he didn't kick and whine doesn't make it classy.

Incorrect.

His ego couldn't take being the guy? How so and why, because that's a pretty bold statement and I've never heard of Shanahan being too proud or arrogant or anything of that nature? Show us... Any sources?

I remember reading one of Detroit's papers online shortly after the Wings were eliminated from Edmonton in the first round 2 seasons ago, both Yzerman and Shanahan were having a meal together, and both pretty much agreed without much question, it was finally their time to step aside after playing wtih the Wings for so long. While Holland offered him a contract, I don't get the feeling that he was too hurt or offended that Shanahan signed with the Rangers. This is classless how?

So, how does this not make Shanahan wrong for what he did or not classy or anything, where there seemed to be no secrets or bulls**ting from him or other parts of the organziation leading up to when he left?

I emphasize again, people have changes of heart about work and their career in any profession, I don't care who you are. It's natural to want to try something new or in a different city after being in one spot for so long. At the very least, we should realize and show some appreciation as Wings fans that Shanahan stayed loyal to the Detroit organziation and worked in the same city for roughly 10 years (I feel the same way about Fedorov as well even though he might have left under "questionable" terms, let's not go there). These days, you know how many people and how frequently they switch jobs in their lives? A LOT. I've been at my job for about 2 1/4 years (love it and not leaving soon), and there has to be close to 10 people (small company to begin with) that have left or quit because they wanted to try something else with their careers, some after just working there for roughly a year or so. It's normal.

If you're bad vibes towards SHanny is because of Jagr being with the Rangers, that has nothing to do with Shanahan, you can like Shanahan or the Rangers IN SPITE OF Jagr.

I'm pretty lost here on your line of thinking and failing to pick up on how Shanahan is such a bad guy. I'm not seeing it.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Incorrect.

His ego couldn't take being the guy? How so and why, because that's a pretty bold statement and I've never heard of Shanahan being too proud or arrogant or anything of that nature? Show us... Any sources?

I remember reading one of Detroit's papers online shortly after the Wings were eliminated from Edmonton in the first round 2 seasons ago, both Yzerman and Shanahan were having a meal together, and both pretty much agreed without much question, it was finally their time to step aside after playing wtih the Wings for so long. While Holland offered him a contract, I don't get the feeling that he was too hurt or offended that Shanahan signed with the Rangers. This is classless how?

So, how does this not make Shanahan wrong for what he did or not classy or anything, where there seemed to be no secrets or bulls**ting from him or other parts of the organziation leading up to when he left?

I emphasize again, people have changes of heart about work and their career in any profession, I don't care who you are. It's natural to want to try something new or in a different city after being in one spot for so long. At the very least, we should realize and show some appreciation as Wings fans that Shanahan stayed loyal to the Detroit organziation and worked in the same city for roughly 10 years (I feel the same way about Fedorov as well even though he might have left under "questionable" terms, let's not go there). These days, you know how many people and how frequently they switch jobs in their lives? A LOT. I've been at my job for about 2 1/4 years (love it and not leaving soon), and there has to be close to 10 people (small company to begin with) that have left or quit because they wanted to try something else with their careers, some after just working there for roughly a year or so. It's normal.

If you're bad vibes towards SHanny is because of Jagr being with the Rangers, that has nothing to do with Shanahan, you can like Shanahan or the Rangers IN SPITE OF Jagr.

I'm pretty lost here on your line of thinking and failing to pick up on how Shanahan is such a bad guy. I'm not seeing it.

A lot of the anger directed Shanahan's direction on this subject has to do with the fact he left in a similar fashion to what Fedorov did, and Shanahan gets called 'classy' while Fedorov gets booed.

Its hilarious how much some of you love and want Fedorov on this team again. Hes a 3rd liner or a top 4 defenceman at this point in his career. You want 6 million locked up in a washed up bum? I know I dont , If I could give 6 million to someone , it'd be Smyth or wait a year or 2 and give it to a real player in Zetterberg.

Fedorov returning to the wings would be for the worse

Seriously though. Shannahan did leave with class. He left for the same amount of money, so that means he wasn't money hungry.

And Fedorov left for less money.

I don't think he left for the stardom considering that Jagr is over there. He was rumored to say he always wanted to play on broadway. Almost everyone else was gone and he didn't see eye to eye with Babs. (rumored, again) He was great here and I think the fact that he played a significant role in the lifting of 3 Stanely Cups plays a huge role in how we should feel about him.

Fedorov played a BIGGER role.

We as detroit fans are pampered with players lik Lids and Stevie staing for the long hull. Almost no other players do that. I bet some of you still hate your ex-girlfriend from middle school fo dumping you for something differant.

Fedorov and Shanahan should be treated the same. Whether that means booed or cheered, that's up for debate. But to boo one and cheer the other is silly.

Who knows maybe he bed down with Babs's wife?

Sleeping with someone else's wife did get him sent packing from St. Louis...

when did this turn into a shanny fed fight. the idea was to let everyone know that shanny wants tot stay in NY. IMO good for shanny i still think they have a great chance of going deep.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

NOT SOON ENOUGH!

Ha ha, this is the delusional s*** i'm talking about. Shanny leaves on great terms, comes out and tells us he's leaving and why and he's an evil bastard.

Fedorov leaves on the most horrendous terms and under a cloud of secrets and suspicion and you love him and can't wait for him to come back.

It all boils down to yet another Feds fan and Feds excuse maker ripping on a guy like Shanny for leaving yet excusing everything for Fedorov.

I do so love Feds apologists. They make me laugh

Fetisov won 2 Cups in 4 seasons with Detroit. That's an even better percentage. What's your point?

So you pick out one statistic to argue the other guy's point. Okay, Feds won 2 cups in 4 years. Awesome. Now address the other 99.9% of his post. Clearly he understands the analogy I was using talking about work/corporate life, etc.... You claiming my analogy is terrible shows a complete lack of basic comprehension. Plus, all the Feds stuff is coming out so we can see right thru this entire thing. Apologize for Feds till you run out of breath, piss on Shanny for moving on with his life and doing it in a professional manner.

Sparky? Okay, I'll be sparky if I can call you dumbass.

True, he was a class act when he was here. However, I fail to see how the fact that Detroit won 3 Cups makes any significant difference. Or rather why it should for Shanny, when most people won't give Sergei that same respect.

I respect Shanny, and the way he plays the game. I do not respect how he left. Regardless what anyone has to say about it being on 'good terms'. The fact of the matter is Shanny's ego didn't allow him to stay here.

I guess my biggest problem with it really has nothing to do with Shanny, and everything to do with the fact that Sergei left the team for LESS money, and was fairly open about wanting to be the guy. Shanny took similar cash, but didn't say much as to why he left. He wasn't going to be the guy like he thought he would be when Stevie left. He couldn't handle that, so he left. I do not respect that.

When did you speak to Shanny to find out all this stuff about his ego and everything? You speak as if you know him so well.

Look up the work Delusion in the dictionary. Your face will be plastered right there. Nearly the entire Red Wing loving world (except for 8-10 nitwits) will agree that Fedorov left under terms that were a trillion times worse, with more deception, secrets and questions that left the team, its fans and the city wondering what the heck happened even 5 years later and you want us to believe Shanny left under worse terms?

Unbelievable. Truly unbelievable. If you keep repeating this s*** to yourself does it make you really believe it? If so, then seek help. I hope you're just putting on an act cause you love Fedorov so much because reality is what it is and Fedorov left under far worse terms than Shanny and you have no proof of anything that Shanny's ego was involved and all you do have is your opinion (which goes against everything Shanny said publicly) and your nutjob conspiracy theories about him.

I think Shanny gets a lot of credit for the 3 cups because he was the final piece that put the team over the top. The years leading up to him the D was built up, players like Federov came up through the system, and the team was on the cusp. Then Shanny filled the last remaining void. So lots of times people say he was the missing link, when he was imho the last piece to the puzzle that was being built for years.