• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Wimbledon 2007

Rate this topic

You know I could still join the Ana Ivanovic bandwagon.

I'm not necessarily a true Jankovic fan,I just had most of my betting done trusting she'd win.

I did bet on 3 ladies: Jankovic,Vaidisova & Ivanovic.

So needless to say that I'll be rooting for whoever wins the Ivanovic-Vaidisova match. :lol:

You’re more than welcome mate. :D

Will get awfully crowded in a few years...

IPB Image

:P

men's tennis is so dry and predictable anymore... federer is a machine on just about any surface.

he's clearly the MJ of tennis. people can't stop him, they can only hope to contain him.

the women's game at least still has some allure to it, and of course some nice legs.

here's hoping roddick can shock the world this year and return to championship form. a long shot, i know... but at least then there's a temporary change of guard... and i stress temporary.

Ana saves 3 match points to defeat Vaidisova! Champion! :clap: Venus Williams awaits.

Hewitt. :( Had his chances, just couldn't take them.

I'm a bit torn here people. I like Berdych, but he's up against Nadal in the QF. I think Rafa's the only one who can beat Federer so I want him to keep advancing so he has the chance. But Berdych is one of my favourites. Who the heck do I support?

But this wouldn't be a problem if Roddick took care of Roger. ;) But I'm scared after what happened at the Australian Open...

Ana saves 3 match points to defeat Vaidisova! Champion! :clap: Venus Williams awaits.

I'm a bit torn here people. I like Berdych, but he's up against Nadal in the QF. I think Rafa's the only one who can beat Federer so I want him to keep advancing so he has the chance. But Berdych is one of my favourites. Who the heck do I support?

But this wouldn't be a problem if Roddick took care of Roger. ;) But I'm scared after what happened at the Australian Open...

It's been a long time coming. Imagine how great it would be if Roddick could beat Roger on his best surface!

Survives????

That's hardly the word to use. Roddick hasn't dropped a set thus far!

Sidenote: He's up next against Gasquet.

semantics, no offense.

i'm pulling for roddick... he's going to have his hands full with federer but i have faith.

Ok,I'm in the Ana Ivanovic bandwagon! :thumbup:

Listen to this old mantra: Never support Rafa! :lol:

Guest DetroitIan

Everytime I watch Roddick. All I do is root, root, and root for him. And all he does is lose, lose and lose. Roddick is so incredably overrated. It seams like every single time Im watching him he is getting beat by some lower ranked player. Not to mention the SEVERAL times he has been ousted in the early rounds of tournaments. Im just getting fed up with rooting for this guy cause he's American and all. He will NEVER be mentioned in the same breath with Andre or Sampras. And for good reason. Cause he isnt half the player those guys were. Im not all about bashing Roddick or anything. But I dont know how many more times I can watch the guy get owned by no name players, and/or lower ranked players. When is the last time Roddick even won a tournament?? Roddick will never beat Federer again. I think the all time games between the two is something like 12-1 Federer. Shocking to me that Roddick ever beat Federer. But that was a long time ago. Roddick will just continue to be owned by most of the field. Obviously Jimmy Connors isnt helping Roddick's game too much. Im basically done rooting for this guy.

Edited by DetroitIan

Everytime I watch Roddick. All I do is root, root, and root for him. And all he does is lose, lose and lose. Roddick is so incredably overrated. It seams like every single time Im watching him he is getting beat by some lower ranked player. Not to mention the SEVERAL times he has been ousted in the early rounds of tournaments. Im just getting fed up with rooting for this guy cause he's American and all. He will NEVER be mentioned in the same breath with Andre or Sampras. And for good reason. Cause he isnt half the player those guys were. Im not all about bashing Roddick or anything. But I dont know how many more times I can watch the guy get owned by no name players, and/or lower ranked players. When is the last time Roddick even won a tournament?? Roddick will never beat Federer again. I think the all time games between the two is something like 12-1 Federer. Shocking to me that Roddick ever beat Federer. But that was a long time ago. Roddick will just continue to be owned by most of the field. Obviously Jimmy Connors isnt helping Roddick's game too much. Im basically done rooting for this guy.

Wow are you pissed off! First off, when did I or anyone for that matter compare Roddick to Andre or Sampras? When did I or anyone ever compare Roddick to Federer? Of course Roddick isn't what Andre or Sampras were, no one ever said he was. Roddick needs to become a more complete player, this is true, but he doesn't suck. The guy is ranked 3rd in the world for a reason. He's a solid player, with a serve that is better than anyone else's in the game.

But to say he's overrated is ridiculous. He sucks on Clay. He knows that, everyone knows that. There are plenty of players that have bad surfaces, and he just can't seem to get it together on clay. Big deal.

Ousted by no name players, you say? Yeah, the 12 seed in the tournament Gasquet is definitely an unknown (sarcasm).

Also, nice argument about him being 1-12 against Federer. Do you have any clue why he's played Federer 13 times? It's because he keeps making it deep in a lot of tournaments. Does that tell you anything? And before you bring it up, I understand that he isn't good against Federer, but name one player that is good against Federer. Nadal can only beat him on clay, and if Nadal hadn't come around when he did, Federer could've very easily won like 8 majors in a row. So ripping any player because they don't have success against arguably the most dominant player in all of sports is just dumb.

French Open aside (and his one lapse at the US Open 2 years ago, which BTW everyone has atleast once in their career) name one time he's been ousted by someone that was far inferior (since you to continue to bring that up)?

Give me some facts before you just go on a pointless rant about how "bad" Roddick is.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Guest DetroitIan

Wow are you pissed off! First off, when did I or anyone for that matter compare Roddick to Andre or Sampras? When did I or anyone ever compare Roddick to Federer? Of course Roddick isn't what Andre or Sampras were, no one ever said he was. Roddick needs to become a more complete player, this is true, but he doesn't suck. The guy is ranked 3rd in the world for a reason. He's a solid player, with a serve that is better than anyone else's in the game.

But to say he's overrated is ridiculous. He sucks on Clay. He knows that, everyone knows that. There are plenty of players that have bad surfaces, and he just can't seem to get it together on clay. Big deal.

Ousted by no name players, you say? Yeah, the 12 seed in the tournament Gasquet is definitely an unknown (sarcasm).

Also, nice argument about him being 1-12 against Federer. Do you have any clue why he's played Federer 13 times? It's because he keeps making it deep in a lot of tournaments. Does that tell you anything? And before you bring it up, I understand that he isn't good against Federer, but name one player that is good against Federer. Nadal can only beat him on clay, and if Nadal hadn't come around when he did, Federer could've very easily won like 8 majors in a row. So ripping any player because they don't have success against arguably the most dominant player in all of sports is just dumb.

French Open aside (and his one lapse at the US Open 2 years ago, which BTW everyone has atleast once in their career) name one time he's been ousted by someone that was far inferior (since you to continue to bring that up)?

Give me some facts before you just go on a pointless rant about how "bad" Roddick is.

First off, I never said you or anyone compared him to Agassi or Sampras. I was just making the statement. Cause anyone that knows ANYTHING about tennis, knows that Roddick has been mentioned SEVERAL times as the great "American hope". Pshhhh. Not even close. This guy couldnt carry Pete's jockstrap. And I never flat out said "Roddick sucks". I said im sick and tired of seeing him get ousted by lower ranked players. I never said Gasquet was an unknown. I said I have watched Roddick lose to unknowns AND/OR lower ranked players. I wasnt specifically talking about todays match. And yeah, sometimes he does make it far into tournaments. But guess what? He CHOKES every frickin time. And I wasnt making the point that Federer is way better. Cause thats pretty obvious. I was just saying that I have made it a point to watch Roddick whenever I catch one of his matches. And every single time I do. He chokes. Honestly. Has he won a thing in the past 3 years??? Cause if so. Im shocked. Huge choke artist. Therefore, its pretty much official, that if there IS a "great American hope" out there. It's not, and never will be Andy Roddick.

Edited by DetroitIan

Regardless of the fact that it was three years ago, he still has a major under his belt. Since you insinuated that I know nothing about tennis, than I say to you, if you knew anyting about tennis than you would know that the last tournament he won was less than a month ago. As far as Roddick losing to lower ranked players, guess what? Federer has lost to 5 lower ranked opponents this year and Nadal has lost to 7 lower ranked players. Are they choke artists?

I find it funny how you say that you're quick to say no one is comparing Roddick to Pete, yet you did it again in the above post. Just because Roddick isn't as good as Pete or Andre doesn't mean he deserves being ripped the way you are doing it. He is the best American there is right now. Deal with it.

Why do you feel the higher ranked player should always win, otherwise its a choke? Its not always true, and you should know that being a hockey fan. There are other factors.

Sidenote: You must have sidestepped my comment about Roddick facing Federer 13 times. Care to explain that one?

Guest DetroitIan

Regardless of the fact that it was three years ago, he still has a major under his belt. Since you insinuated that I know nothing about tennis, than I say to you, if you knew anyting about tennis than you would know that the last tournament he won was less than a month ago. As far as Roddick losing to lower ranked players, guess what? Federer has lost to 5 lower ranked opponents this year and Nadal has lost to 7 lower ranked players. Are they choke artists?

I find it funny how you say that you're quick to say no one is comparing Roddick to Pete, yet you did it again in the above post. Just because Roddick isn't as good as Pete or Andre doesn't mean he deserves being ripped the way you are doing it. He is the best American there is right now. Deal with it.

Why do you feel the higher ranked player should always win, otherwise its a choke? Its not always true, and you should know that being a hockey fan. There are other factors.

Sidenote: You must have sidestepped my comment about Roddick facing Federer 13 times. Care to explain that one?

I didnt say you didnt know anything about tennis. I said anyone who knows anything about tennis knows that everyone was calling Roddick the great American hope for tennis. Read the post more thoroughly next time. ;) And I said I wasnt saying YOU GUYS compared Pete and Andy. How many times does that need to be said? I AM COMPARING. ME. ME. AND ONLY ME. Is that pretty much clear enough for ya?? Im not saying that anyone who loses to a lower ranked guy is a choke artist. Im saying RODDICK is a choke artist. Which leads to why I wasnt sidestepping the comments about Roddick facing Federer so many times. I know Andy can make it far enough to face Federer. Big ******* deal. Whats your point? Oh he's awesome becaue he can make it far enough to face Federer, then get stomped every time? What a great accomplishment. :rolleyes: All I know is, guys like Andre, Pete, Nadal, and Federer have MULTIPLE major wins. While Andy MIGHT sometimes win some lesser tournament here and there. How long ago was that major Andy won??? I bet it wasnt any time in the recent past. But go ahead and keep the blinders on and think Andy is the man. When he is obviously not. Great American hope??? Not even close. Andre and Pete were great American hopes. Not Andy. Thats my point here. And yeah I know he's the best American tennis player right now. And that my friend, is truly sad.

Edited by DetroitIan

Seriously, what's your problem? First and foremost, I read your posts very carefully, and they come off extremely harsh, thus causing anyone who reads them to be defensive. You've essesntially ripped Roddick a new one and you come as if you think the guy doesn't deserve to be on a tennis court. I just don't understand that.

Roddick was touted as being the next American hopeful to be the next Pete or Andre, but the last time anyone with any common sense said that was more than two years ago. They all realize that Roddick isn't at the calibre of Federer.

My point is, why do you get so mad at the fact that Roddick isn't Pete, or Andre or Federer? Does the same apply for Jan Ulrich in cycling because he couldn't touch Armstrong? Does Ulrich deserve to be told he's sh*t and a choke artist simply because he can't beat arguably the most dominant athlete of his respected sport?

Never once did I argue that Roddick was better than so many greats (or that he's "the man", which you conveniently pretended that I said), but he's not the sh*tty player you seem to be making him out to be.

That's my whole point. What don't you get about that?

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Guest DetroitIan

Seriously, what's your problem? First and foremost, I read your posts very carefully, and they come off extremely harsh, thus causing anyone who reads them to be defensive. You've essesntially ripped Roddick a new one and you come as if you think the guy doesn't deserve to be on a tennis court. I just don't understand that.

Roddick was touted as being the next American hopeful to be the next Pete or Andre, but the last time anyone with any common sense said that was more than two years ago. They all realize that Roddick isn't at the calibre of Federer.

My point is, why do you get so mad at the fact that Roddick isn't Pete, or Andre or Federer? Does the same apply for Jan Ulrich in cycling because he couldn't touch Armstrong? Does Ulrich deserve to be told he's sh*t and a choke artist simply because he can't beat arguably the most dominant athlete of his respected sport?

Never once did I argue that Roddick was better than so many greats (or that he's "the man", which you conveniently pretended that I said), but he's not the sh*tty player you seem to be making him out to be.

That's my whole point. Is that easy enough for you to understand?

Sorry If I was sounding like a dick. I was just in a bad mood after totally getting into that match. Where Roddick was up 6-4, 6-4, 4-2 at one point. Just to let Gasquet come back and stomp him. I got my hopes up several months ago when I heard Connors was working with him. I really like watching tennis. And I have for many years. I just long for the days where we have American tennis players like McEnroe, Connors, Agassi, and Sampras again. I just wanna see a great american tennis player again. And alot of people I know think Roddick is like a God. When in actuallity, he is just good. Not great. I may have went to far saying I would never root for him again. Because I know next time he faces Federer or any other big name, I will totally be rooting for him again.

Lucky, lucky man Roger. Nadal completely outplayed him and was unlucky not to win.

Better win as many slams as you can now Roger because before too long you won’t ever be able to beat Rafa.

Rafa >>> Federer.

Lucky, lucky man Roger. Nadal completely outplayed him and was unlucky not to win.

Better win as many slams as you can now Roger because before too long you won’t ever be able to beat Rafa.

Rafa >>> Federer.

Completely outplayed him?? That was about as even of a match as you'll see. Nadal didn't give Roger an inch until the 6th game of the 5th set and Roger, being the champion he is, was there and ready to put the hammer down once the opportunity presented itself. If Nadal were >>> Federer, Roger shouldn't have been around in the 5th to finally be able to break Rafa. Twice.

Completely outplayed him?? That was about as even of a match as you'll see. Nadal didn't give Roger an inch until the 6th game of the 5th set and Roger, being the champion he is, was there and ready to put the hammer down once the opportunity presented itself. If Nadal were >>> Federer, Roger shouldn't have been around in the 5th to finally be able to break Rafa. Twice.

Federer's 1st serve % was about 70% and he served about 26 aces and as many un-returnables. He managed to serve big when it mattered most; down 15-40 and both 1-1 and 2-2 in the final set. If Nadal took one of these points it would have been game over, but Federer's serve came up big again. Nadal outplayed him in the rallies, don't think anyone can deny that. At the end of the 4th set the rallies were roughly 100-70 in favour of Nadal. Nadal was the superior player but couldn't quite take his chances.