• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

detroitdeviant

How many here have played hockey?

Rate this topic

I "kind of" play hockey. Well actually I put on all my gear, get on the ice, skate around, try not to fall down too much, and hope that eventually before the hour is up the puck has actually touched my blade 3 or 4 times! :lol:

Disclaimer: I didn't even learn how to skate until I was 34!

I started playing less then a year ago. I amm bout to turn 26. I went out and bought new skates and all new gear. Started playing drop-in at Troy. I have not played for like 2 months. I am not very good and I feel like everyone is making fun of me!!!! LMAO!!! I have probably seen some of you up at Troy. I am the soldiers that gets into uniform after the game. I hate the showers there. I am going to start playing again this week. I would like to take some classes and find a adult league that is for beginnners. Are the classes worth the money? Does anyone know if there are leagues for newbs????

I "kind of" play hockey. Well actually I put on all my gear, get on the ice, skate around, try not to fall down too much, and hope that eventually before the hour is up the puck has actually touched my blade 3 or 4 times! :lol:

Disclaimer: I didn't even learn how to skate until I was 34!

We are bout on the smae page!!! Thats awsome!

Started skating at 3 played from about 5 till I was 19. Could have proboaly made it somewhere if I tried but I made some bad decisions when I was 16-19 yrs old so I kinda threw it out the window and I regret it very much. Im thinking about getting myself back in tip top shape and play on my college team, or maybe try out for a Senoir A or B team. I really miss clobbering guys with open ice hits!

haven't played in a few years, i've been focused more on music.

but played my entire childhood in philly. got to nashville in high school and there wasn't much hockey. But i nagged the gym teachers enough to let us play floor hockey a couple of times, and I always arranged a few street hockey games among my friends to help teach them the game.

then by the time I got to college, the Preds were a couple of years old. and there were more leagues popping up. I was in the very first roller hockey league here, there were only 2 adult teams at that time, then it went to 4 the next season, 6 the season after that. but I was unable to continue after that and haven't really played since.

I started playing less then a year ago. I amm bout to turn 26. I went out and bought new skates and all new gear. Started playing drop-in at Troy. I have not played for like 2 months. I am not very good and I feel like everyone is making fun of me!!!! LMAO!!! I have probably seen some of you up at Troy. I am the soldiers that gets into uniform after the game. I hate the showers there. I am going to start playing again this week. I would like to take some classes and find a adult league that is for beginnners. Are the classes worth the money? Does anyone know if there are leagues for newbs????

Yeah, even though I totally SUCK, it's still fun to play because it's the greatest sport EVER. I haven't taken any classes myself. But my best freind and his brother-in-law did at Novi about 5 years ago, they said it was totally worth it, but be prepared to be sore and tired ( if you get a GOOD instructor that is...)

Ahoy, i played roller in competiti'e leagues for around 18 years. Had t' quit recently due t' family obligations and lowered health insurance from work.

I have ne'er played competiti'e Ice hockey, but I have played countless games o' pick up hockey and pond hockey in my lifetime.

I currently play roller hockey in Ferndale on saturdays with some guys from my old team.

I think the highlight o' my roller hockey was winnin' the platinum di'ision with Ryan Kesler (Vancou'er Canucks) and Chris Conners (Dallas Stars)... watchin' both them play and bein' able t' play right along side o' them was pricesless. :)

Aye, me have been kickin' around the now eligiable 30+ leagues with some friends but money is damn tight right now.

Edited by OsGOD

I played in high school then tore my knee and didn't play for 5 years, now started again with open hockey and adult leagues. Good times, i'm always so anxious to play on game days, wouldn't trade it for anything.

i have been playing hockey since i was 7 years old. i played in-house leagues, travel teams, i stared my high school roller hockey team, i even got to try out for team USA's junior (18 and under) roller hockey team. i usually play roller hockey because it was cheaper then ice hockey, but not that i am in college i started with ice and it was not that hard to get the hang of. this fall i am going to try out for san jose state's ice hockey team. so that will be fun to see how i compare to players that have been playing ice hockey for a larger amount of time.

Edited by puckhog419

I have never played. I never learned to skate very well. That is where my fascination with the sport comes from. Its amazing to me what these guys can do on skates with out falling down..

When I say such n such a player sucks its a comparison to others or a remark about their attitude or work ethic. Any one of these guys could play circles around me. Of course they're NHLers so thats probably true for any of us.

Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.

....and how do I get it to stop quoting in my replies?

When ye reply no text should be in th' window... if ther be, delete it before ye post your text.

Ive been playing hockey since i was four. My dad and oldest brother whose 23 play beer leagues. My other brother(21) plays at Plattsburgh State. He had two D1 offers from AIC and West Point and was talking to UMass Amherst but decided Plattsburgh will be better development for when he plays pro afterwards whether in Europe or in the ECHL. I'm 16 and play juniors instead of highschool. Hockey is our lives we shoot over 200 pucks a day and lift/go to the track everyday,stickhandle/pass with eachother and skate as much as we can whether its camps drop in or showcases. I still wish i lived in Michigan, moved out to New Hampshire when i was 10 but i suppose its good because the Eastern Junior Hockey League is out here which is of the top 3 jr. a leagues in the country with the NAHL and USHL. My brother was also the captain of his team in the EJHL last year and played in the ejhl all-star game. Coicidently Mathieu Schneider played for my brothers team a long time ago. My ultimate goal is to play D1 college hockey. Worst part about living in NH... NO WINGS FANS!

Edited by Stevie Y Forever

Guest jaytan

I used to play pretty frequently, but haven't in about three years or so (maybe more) when I had to do a 1,000-mile-plus move and got rid of all my gear. :(

I think the power skating and beginners skills classes for newbies are excellent. I've never taken one myself but I knew a guy that didn't get into hockey until he was in his late 20's, like yourself. When he started he could barely stand on the ice. That first summer he took a powerskating class and a skills class as well. He did that for at least 2 summers while playing in as many games as he could during the winter (at least 2 nights).

He now plays in the same mens league that I do, which is pretty competitive. (The average skill level is probably between midget A to Junior C. We've even had some NHLers and AHLers in the league). I would say that he's probably one of the best skaters in the league now. He's still not that great with the puck or shooting, but he's coming along. And with his skating being so strong, it makes up for a lot of his other deficincies.

So if you can find a class for adult beginners, I'd definately look into it. It would be worth it.

I was a basketball player mostly through high school and college. Picked up ice hockey near the end of college b/c I loved it so much. I'm not great, but I really enjoy playing it. In fact, it's the only sport I play anymore.

I never played when I was younger because I was such a piss-poor skater. Eventually I got jealous of my roommate playing twice a week, so I signed up for the Never/Ever league in Ann Arbor. My first season I did absolutely nothing (0-0--0, 0 PIMs) and we made the championship game, but lost (the officiating was poor enough that the game was stopped so the head of the league could ***** out the refs, and they both got fired after the game). The next season I got new (lighter) skates and I led my team in goals, but we were terrible. Then the next season we got custom jerseys, had custom pucks made up for our home games, and even had a mascot come to our championship game. We ended up winning and it was an absolute blast. I played 1 more season in Ann Arbor and I just started my first season since moving to Madison. 1-0-1 so far! I sliced my hand open on my skate last week...that was sweet.

The highlight of my young hockey career though? Playing at Joe Louis in the CCHA Media Game. I had an assist and we won something like 9-2.

IPB Image

-Tim

That is awesome!!

I would of never pictured you to look like that. You look too nice to be such an Ozzie basher. Haha :hehe:

I never played when I was younger because I was such a piss-poor skater. Eventually I got jealous of my roommate playing twice a week, so I signed up for the Never/Ever league in Ann Arbor. My first season I did absolutely nothing (0-0--0, 0 PIMs) and we made the championship game, but lost (the officiating was poor enough that the game was stopped so the head of the league could ***** out the refs, and they both got fired after the game). The next season I got new (lighter) skates and I led my team in goals, but we were terrible. Then the next season we got custom jerseys, had custom pucks made up for our home games, and even had a mascot come to our championship game. We ended up winning and it was an absolute blast. I played 1 more season in Ann Arbor and I just started my first season since moving to Madison. 1-0-1 so far! I sliced my hand open on my skate last week...that was sweet.

The highlight of my young hockey career though? Playing at Joe Louis in the CCHA Media Game. I had an assist and we won something like 9-2.

IPB Image

-Tim

You played at JLA, good for you, but man :angry: