• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JayUp88

Vokoun shocked to be traded

Rate this topic

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211847&hubname=nhl

Well gezz i wouldn't have thought that :rolleyes: i would be a little shocked and upset going from a team that has a chance of being great to a team who well isn't all that great. then again they have some good youth maybe he can bring a soled game to their net and they might be on their way back up.

I was a little shocked myself....

I was too at first but then again they got great picks out of it and Mason did a lot better then Vokoun did this last season

I was too at first but then again they got great picks out of it and Mason did a lot better then Vokoun did this last season

It will be a good move as long as Mason can handle being number 1....If he has a bad year nashville is done for.

Edited by wingsfan40

Especially considering the fact he had a NTC that was about to kick in July 1...

I suppose this answers my question of whether or not they still asked for his consent....shrewd move Poile....shrewd.....

I think the team would have liked to do things differently, but Vokoun was on Vacation in europe and Poile was on the radio this morning saying that, once the goalie moves started happening on friday (Toskala, Fernandez) they felt like they had to move fast before there weren't any takers left.

sucks, but it's business. i'm not gonna feel bad for a guy who brings home $110k per WEEK.

Edited by Legionnaire11

I think the team would have liked to do things differently, but Vokoun was on Vacation in europe and Poile was on the radio this morning saying that, once the goalie moves started happening on friday (Toskala, Fernandez) they felt like they had to move fast before there weren't any takers left.

sucks, but it's business. i'm not gonna feel bad for a guy who brings home $110k per WEEK.

Clearly they must've been considering this for weeks before the deal happened. Trading away your #1 goalie is not an impulse decision.

And no matter how much they earn in salary, there's a right way to handle things because it affects the atmosphere of the team and morale of the remaining players.

i'm sure they had been thinking about it since last december or so when Mason proved he could handle being a full time starter every bit as good as Vokoun.

I do agree that it was the wrong way to handle it. they could have held off on it until Vokoun was notified. But this summer is anything but ordinary for the Preds and circumstances are very different than just about any other team, any other year. I don't like it, but that's how it is this season.

Edited by Legionnaire11

Guest Agalloch

Fernandez to Boston makes no sense. They already have two young Finnish goalies that are both supposed to be great starters in Toivonen and Rask.

Then again, it IS Boston...

I was shocked at first, but then happy for that the firesale continues... :clap:

The league's top ten goalies are, according to Vezina voting, Brodeur, Luongo, Lundqvist, Kiprusoff, Hasek, Backstrom, Miller, Dipietro, Giguere, Mason. Hasek and Miller are the only ones listed who did not finish top-10 in save percentage; they replaced Vokoun and Emery.

The league's top ten goalies are, according to Vezina voting, Brodeur, Luongo, Lundqvist, Kiprusoff, Hasek, Backstrom, Miller, Dipietro, Giguere, Mason. Hasek and Miller are the only ones listed who did not finish top-10 in save percentage; they replaced Vokoun and Emery.

Didn't Mason get like, one third place vote? He shouldn't have even gotten that since he didn't even play half the season.

There's a huge difference between Brodeur's .922 SV% over 78 games and Mason's .925 over 40 games.

The Preds better hope this guy is the real deal and not a career backup who had a good run last year.

The Preds better hope this guy is the real deal and not a career backup who had a good run last year.

At this point I wish "hope" were even a word the organization used. Nashville wasn't a rival to us by any means (I'm pretty damn picky about that title though), but they were setting up to be a damn fine team before this ownership mess.

They aren't awful now, either, in losing Fors or Kariya, or dumping Vokoun.. the chances at competitiveness are less now, is all.

Edited by Flip-check

At this point I wish "hope" were even a word the organization used. Nashville wasn't a rival to us by any means (I'm pretty damn picky about that title though), but they were setting up to be a damn fine team before this ownership mess.

They aren't awful now, either, in losing Fors or Kariya, or dumping Vokoun.. the chances at competitiveness are less now, is all.

Just want to point out that Pete Weber is reporting that Kariya is about to re-sign with the Predators for two years at a total of $9 million.

Trading Vokoun was not what anyone- the organization and the fans- would like to have done in an ideal world. That being said, the Predators are not currently living in an ideal world.

By trading Vokoun's $5.7 million per year cap hit, the Predators made room to fill out their roster and still be near, or at, the salary floor. If Weber's report regarding the Kariya signing is true, that helps as well.

Will this team compete for the Central Division title- probably not. Will it struggle to make the playoffs- probably not. Of course, anyone can make a prediction. Fortunately, they do actually play the games.

David

everyone claiming how aweful the preds will be next season without Timonen, Hartnell and Vokoun.

didn't the Wings lose Shanahan, Yzerman and Legace during last offseason? had a lot more youth and grit this year and went farther in the playoffs?

thought so

Didn't Mason get like, one third place vote? He shouldn't have even gotten that since he didn't even play half the season.

There's a huge difference between Brodeur's .922 SV% over 78 games and Mason's .925 over 40 games.

Mason played basically as many games with the same numbers Vokoun had. Why did Mason get the vote over Vokoun? And if you don't deserve votes for playing limited time, why did Backstrom finish so high? He played less than Mason. Backstrom also was lusted after on this board many times...what makes Mason a question mark but Backstrom is a sure thing who should replace Hasek?

I wish Buffalo would have a fire sale. Sucks that we are the one team in the league that Nashville wouldn't even consider trading with.

Who do you want that Nashville has actually traded? We don't need Vokoun, Hartnell cost way too much, and Timonen cost way too much. Philly gave up a first round pick for the right to overpay two players...I want no part of that. Florida gave up a first and two seconds to get a starting goalie, which admittedly is probably fair, but the Wings don't need to make that trade.

Mason played basically as many games with the same numbers Vokoun had. Why did Mason get the vote over Vokoun? And if you don't deserve votes for playing limited time, why did Backstrom finish so high? He played less than Mason. Backstrom also was lusted after on this board many times...what makes Mason a question mark but Backstrom is a sure thing who should replace Hasek?

I'm not saying it's a rule, it's my opinion. Playing half the season in my opinion doesn't deserve Vezina consideration because there's a huge difference between putting up good numbers over 40 games and over 60-70. Furthermore, Vezina votes don't make someone a top ten goalie. All it means is someone voted for him.

Mason is a question mark for me simply because he's 31 years old and has never started more than 40 games in one season. He looked good this year, but I think the first year as the starter for any goalie leaves a bit of a question mark until they prove they can carry the load of a full season. I wasn't making some huge knock against Mason.

Backstrom played one game more than Mason, for the record. But I wasn't part of the crowd saying we should get Backstrom to replace Hasek, though it doesn't surprise me. It's the Manny Legace phenomenon. A goalie puts together a good half season and everyone thinks he should win the Vezina. Backstrom had great numbers over 41 games with the boring and seriously defensive minded Minnesota Wild.

That doesn't mean he won't be a good starter, but he's still a question mark in my book until he handles the workload of a starter.

Edited by haroldsnepsts