• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

Tom Preissing... UFA

Rate this topic

"He was no better offensively than several other guys, most of whom played significantly more time." Well, duh, that's sort of my point eva. Nice of you to try and gloss over his numbers with that statement. How about glossing over this statement: HE LEAD ALL OTTAWA DEFENSMEN IN SCORING DESPITE PLAYING THE FEWEST MINUTES.

More minutes for him (which I think he can handle) could mean more points. The past 2 years Matty has averaged 15 points more/season than Priessing while playing over 23 minutes/game to Priessing's 15 minutes/game. Give Priessing another 5 minutes of icetime and more duty on the 2nd PP unit than he got in Ottawa and he'll make up much of that difference.

IMO, Priessing could put up near comparable numbers offensively if given Matty's slot. If you disagree then you disagree. I watched alot of the Sens and I like Priessing for many reasons, one of which is that he's a better skater than Matty and Priessing knows how to jump into the offensive attack down low while Matty is primarily a cannon from the blueline. Priessing is good at reading the play and jumping in the back door, Matty doesn't do that. So that's another dimension I like about Priessing's game.

As for the dollars, if I can sign a younger, bigger, guy who can provide pretty good offensive and is a wash defensively for the current guy i've got then i'll do it and pocket the savings of 2 million. Maybe I can't get somebody on opening night but that 2 mil comes in handy at the trade deadline.

The Wings last year would have won the Cup had Schneider been healthy. We have an opportunity to retain last year's team minus Lang and possibly Markov. We have guys in the system who can replace those guys with little difference. Doesn't it make more sense to try another run or two with a core we know works instead of trying to replace Schneider with a guy who will be overpriced and less effective?

http://www.rds.ca/senateurs/chroniques/231666.html

Ok - Schneider may be looking for $5M / this is with home discount / I don't think we should give him that money...

Maybe Preissing is solution right hand offensive defensmen...

What do you think???

I'm a big Preissing fan. I thought he didn't get nearly enough publicity for what he did for the Senators. Noway they make it to the cup without him. He's great in all 3 zones.

And some are speculating that he could be had for $2-3M.

If the Wings let Schneider and Markov go, I'd love for them to pick up Smyth and Priessing. And hopefully they had enough money left over for Bert.

Our top 4 dmen:

Lidstrom, Kronwall, Lebda/Chelios, Preissing. Not too bad.

I'd also like to see them take a look at Andy Sutton like another LWG'er suggested.

There isn't a simple algorithm to say if you take a 6 d-man and make him a #2 multiply his current numbers by 2, or by the percent of ice time increase. There is a lot more expected of a guy defensively when he moves up to the top pairings.

Priessing may be great as a two or three. However I think Eva's point (correct me if I am wrong) is that goals and good play as a #6, does not translate into success as a 2-3 dman at the same rate.

For instance if he scored 10 goals and 15 assists, because he becomes the number 3 d-man he is not all of the sudden going to have 20 goals and 30 assists because of the ice time. He has to become a lot more respinsible defensively, because he will be facing top line talent.

I'm a big Preissing fan. I thought he didn't get nearly enough publicity for what he did for the Senators. Noway they make it to the cup without him. He's great in all 3 zones.

Preissing is not great in all three zones. The only defenseman to suit up for the Sens this season to play less total time on the PK was Tomas Malec, who dressed for one game. You will bring up his +40...at which point I will bring up Andrei Meszaros and Joe Corvo. If Meszaros was -15, and Corvo +8 but still given the PK duties ahead of Preissing, doesn't that suggest that Preissing's number is inflated and not representative of his defense? Also, Preissing led all Ottawa defensemen in scoring, yet was their 6th defenseman. If he were great defensively, he'd have been their #1.

And some are speculating that he could be had for $2-3M.

If the Wings let Schneider and Markov go, I'd love for them to pick up Smyth and Priessing. And hopefully they had enough money left over for Bert.

Our top 4 dmen:

Lidstrom, Kronwall, Lebda/Chelios, Preissing. Not too bad.

I'd also like to see them take a look at Andy Sutton like another LWG'er suggested.

Like I said - if we can have Preissing+Hannan or Preissing+Sutton for approx. same amount as Schneider is asking why not sign them??? Preissing will be our # 2 def (if we decide to not sign Schneider)... Let's not forget that Schneider is 37...

Guest GordieSid&Ted

The Wings last year would have won the Cup had Schneider been healthy. We have an opportunity to retain last year's team minus Lang and possibly Markov. We have guys in the system who can replace those guys with little difference. Doesn't it make more sense to try another run or two with a core we know works instead of trying to replace Schneider with a guy who will be overpriced and less effective?

Would've won the cup? I'm not so sure about that. Lidstrom couldn't handle the Getzlaf line so what good would Schneider have been? Maybe he could've helped the power play I guess but that's an awfully big assumption you're making there. Overpriced? I didn't know Priessing was overpriced. When you lead all defenseman in scoring on a juggernaut offensive team and are looking at 2.5-3 mil that's overpriced? Schnieder at 5 million????? That's not overpriced for this team? Sorry, let the Rags pay Matty 5 million. I wouldn't have paid Matty 5 million in 2005, why would I pay him 5 million 2 years later? B/c the market has gone apes*** for dmen and we like Matty's point shot. Must I bring up the 100 million posts about how many giveaways Matty makes and how poor of a defensive dman he is? I love Matty but I know what he is. And what he is is a slightly better, but far older version of Priessing and double the cost. Overpriced and less effective? Don't know how you can make such a statement. You must have a crystal ball.

Markov can be replaced easily? By whom, Quincy? I guess you're ready to drop a legit top 4 guy in Markov and heap the load on Quincy or Kindl huh? Sorry, those pups don't exactly strike me as being ready for the big time, full time. Look at Kronner, we've been waiting for him for years and he had more potential than any of those guys and Kronner is still learning a ton.

As for it making sense to try with the same core? Is it the same core? If you lose Markov, Calder, maybe Bertuzzi and Lang it isn't the same. For better or worse this team is going to look different. IMO, we were close and injuries aside I think we were exposed in some areas. Precisely, we need a bonafide scoring winger and more size. Anaheim worked us b/c of their great size, anyway you shake it we couldn't handle them. Getzlaf line owned us IMO.

For me the answer is NO. A good GM (which I think holland is) ought to not rest on the success of last year. We have some missing pieces and a good GM is always trying to tweak his roster to add those missing pieces, not just keep doing the same thing over and over. We made huge strides in the work ethic and grit department last year, now we just need some new bodies to go with it.

You want to stick with Matty and a freaking gigundous 5 mil contract, then that's your right.

I'd rather see Priessing back there, pocket a couple million and take a crack at a Kariya or another scoring winger who wants to play for a winner.

Preissing is not great in all three zones. The only defenseman to suit up for the Sens this season to play less total time on the PK was Tomas Malec, who dressed for one game. You will bring up his +40...at which point I will bring up Andrei Meszaros and Joe Corvo. If Meszaros was -15, and Corvo +8 but still given the PK duties ahead of Preissing, doesn't that suggest that Preissing's number is inflated and not representative of his defense? Also, Preissing led all Ottawa defensemen in scoring, yet was their 6th defenseman. If he were great defensively, he'd have been their #1.

Eva, you are manipulating his offensive numbers like the accountants did over at Enron. C'mon already. When you play 1/2 the time as everybody else that means that you probably aren't the shutdown guy. So yes, his defense is suspect. Oh wait, so is Schneiders so that makes it a wash now don't it.

On the flip side of that coin, when you lead the team in scoring from the blueline despite getting the fewest minutes, you don't rag on the guy like you're doing to prove your flawed argument. How about this argument, he lead them in poins even though he played the fewest minutes because he's their best offensive defenseman. How can you argue that one? I know you'll try.

Most points, fewest minutes tells me he's a guy who knows how to get the job done offensively and has a knack for working the powerplay and jumping into offensive chances. But you keep glossing over all his stats. I guess his +40 isn't the only inflated thing, huh? I guess his points total is inflated too. hell, they probably inflated his height and weight to boot.

Matty vs Priessing

Priessing

Size

Priessing

Salary

Priessing x2

Offense

Schneider

Defense

Push

Priessing for under 3 mil or another dman closer to 40 years old than 30 and for twice the cost. This is a no brainer.

You're actually proving some of my points. This guy was given 6th defenseman time and yet all he did was put up a +40 rating and led the teams defenseman in scoring. He's gold 5-on-5.

Compared to what other dmen are getting paid, this guy would be an absolute steal at $2M. If he put up these kinds of numbers while only playing 15 MPG and no special teams, what do you think he'd be able to do lined up with Lidstrom or Chelios?

Being such a competant 5-on-5 blueliner this would give a lot more time to players like Cheli and Leilja on the PK or Lidstrom on the PP.

You also have to look at who's ahead of him on the PK side of things: Wade Redden, Chris Phillips, Anton Volchenkov and Andrej Meszaros. Out of those 4 only Lidstrom and Markov would crack that top 4.

When he was with the Sharks in 05-06, he was in the top 4 for both PP and PK and led the team in points for a dman.

I know what you're saying about his stature in the Sens heirarchy, but I think he would fit in perfectly with the Wings and at a very reasonable price (and he's only 29).

EDIT: Sorry, I just read what GordieSid&Ted wrote. He summed it up perfectly.

Edited by Hank

You're actually proving some of my points. This guy was given 6th defenseman time and yet all he did was put up a +40 rating and led the teams defenseman in scoring. He's gold 5-on-5.

Compared to what other dmen are getting paid, this guy would be an absolute steal at $2M. If he put up these kinds of numbers while only playing 15 MPG and no special teams, what do you think he'd be able to do lined up with Lidstrom or Chelios?

Being such a competant 5-on-5 blueliner this would give a lot more time to players like Cheli and Leilja on the PK or Lidstrom on the PP.

You also have to look at who's ahead of him on the PK side of things: Wade Redden, Chris Phillips, Anton Volchenkov and Andrej Meszaros. Out of those 4 only Lidstrom and Markov would crack that top 4.

Preissing put up a +40, which was Sens-best. Meszaros put up a -15, worst on the Sens. One of these guys plays the penalty kill, and it's not Preissing. It's one thing to be like Lidstrom, and be the shutdown guy playing 30 minutes a night and still put up gaudy +/- stats. It's another to be a guy like Preissing, who DESPITE being the team's most prolific offensive defenseman is also the team's worst defensive defenseman to the point he still only plays sixth-man minutes.

Schneider's average season offensively is better than what Preissing did this year. Schneider is at the very least equal to Preissing defensively. And Schneider is having some of the best seasons of his career.

Also, Maybe only Lidstrom and Markov crack the top four PK guys. But Preissing didn't crack the top SIX PK guys on Ottawa...Schubert, Nycholat, and Corvo all played more as well. Wings don't have a guy in the top six who doesn't play PK ahead of those three. Even Schneider.

Also, Preissing saw 3:27 per game of PP. He was the fourth defenseman on the PP, but he saw regular time there.

I think of Preissing like Darryl Sydor in 1997. Had yet to really break out, then suddenly bam a whole bunch of points and a huge +/- number, and all of a sudden he's a Norris contender even though he's not even the team's best defenseman.

Comparing Preissing to Lidstrom because of their +/- doesn't work either. As I continue to say, Lidstrom plays 30 minutes per game every year and puts up a bunch of points and a huge +/- number. Preissing has far less of an impact on the game than Lidstrom, or for that matter than Redden, Phillips, Volchenkov, or Meszaros. Which means Preissing either has inflated numbers from playing with good players, inflated numbers from playing against bad players, or both.

Comparing Preissing to Lidstrom because of their +/- doesn't work either. As I continue to say, Lidstrom plays 30 minutes per game every year and puts up a bunch of points and a huge +/- number. Preissing has far less of an impact on the game than Lidstrom, or for that matter than Redden, Phillips, Volchenkov, or Meszaros. Which means Preissing either has inflated numbers from playing with good players, inflated numbers from playing against bad players, or both.

Comparing Preissing to lids?? just sayin.. :)

schneider at 5 mill is overpriced, right? and we did quite welll without him in the playoffs aswell. Instead of schneider, you add a couple of other guys, like others have said. F.a. Preissing and Sutton/Hannan, or Priessing + 2 mill and Markov, i would say it would be much better then signing schneids..

Ok, so the pp wasn't that great after schneider was gone, but on the other hand, this isn't last season. And you have a whole 82 games to fix it, if not sooner with a trade come deadline time (with those 2 mill perhaps :)?).

In the long term, preissing is a far more viable option imo.

Not so sure the team did that well without Schneider. Most people on this board, myself included, think that his injury is the reason the wings didn't go to the SCF. The team was one PP goal away from taking control of the series against Anaheim. having the pp QB would have helped tremendously!!

Schneider's injury is the reason we didn't win that series with the Ducks..... However, if Holland decides that $5 million is too much for Scheider, and he signs Preissing at 2-3, I would be content with the decision....That said, if he decides to give Schneider his money, I would also be fine with that..... We have the team that could've went to the SCF last year barring injuries.... minus Lang, insert UFA, keep Bertuzzi, consider players improvements (Lilja, Quincey, Hudler, Filpula, Franzen, etc)...and the Wings will be even better next year, and Schneider played a big part in our success.....