• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevie for president

Red Wings rivals?

Rate this topic

They have been boring/uneventful games if recent memory serves me correctly. Like I said, Toronto will always be special to the players, but the rivalry is dead. The tradition will live on.

It's been touched upon by several people in this thread, forgive me if I'm being redundant: the better question is "Who Considers The Wings Their Rivals?"

Rivalry games are generally played harder, which is why fans love them so. I don't really consider any present team a rivalry per se (Avs hatreds are ancient history: and although I personally wouldn't mind putting ANA up there in their place, somehow I feel the Wings won't consider them in the same light as the Avs of the 90s).

Even if the Wings/Wingnuts don't consider Team Whatever to be a serious rival, I'm now wondering which teams the Wings can expect to bring everything they've got for a W. A weak team, normally discounted, could prove dangerous given those parameters.

An underdog is also a hungry dog.

Being in Saint Louis, the Note and their fans still very much consider the Red Wings a rival. As the Hawks do, even though both teams have been a punching bag for the Wings for years and years.

The Red Wings don't have really any rival right now (unless the Preds somehow stay as good or in a weird twist of fate improve), assuming rival means an intense mutual hatred and the two respective teams play at a relatively similar level of talent/etc.

If rivalry remains just mutual hatred, well the whole league hates us, but our rivals would be the Hawks, Avs, Blues, and Leafs.

On the bright side, we aren't having to put up with eight games against the Miami Cats and Atlanta What's That Bird.

I dont doubt that fans in Chicago and St. Louis still hate the Red Wings, but the intense hatred has to go both ways for it to be a true rivarly...and the other team has to have something to brag about. The Wings have mopped the floor with both the Blues and the 'Hawks pretty consistently for the last decade.

Teams like Calgary and the Ducks seem to have just as much hate for us and we have for them at this point...

Being realistic the Wings have no rivalries. A potential one could come from Calgary due to the stuff that happen in the playoffs just like with Colorado.

Right now I agree with Jwo.

Nashville was slowly starting to turn into something I think, and I'm not ready to dismiss any kind of rivalry that might appear. Yeah, Nashville is fire-selling right now and they could get moved, but we still don't know if that move will happen, and we don't know what kind of season they will have yet if they can somehow overcome these big deals or not yet.

Calgary and Anaheim have some chances to get into rivalry mode as well.

The way I see it, there are two types of rivals, those you just hate and those may also hate but respect. Take for instance Toronto and Chicago I don't hate either of those clubs mainly because I respect the fact that they have long traditions and large fan bases who would be just jacked if their team won. As a die hard Redwings fan, I would pull for either of those teams if they were in a position to win big unless of course it's against the Wings :D . Then of course there are those you just plain old hate and would rather see fall off a cliff than get anywhere near that cup like Anaheim. They have a meaningless existence, a dirty style of play, and a goofy sounding name :D . Colorado with Roy (Wahh) was another one despite the fact that Denver is actually a pretty good hockey town. The Devils, the Flamers etc.

Guest jaytan

They have been boring/uneventful games if recent memory serves me correctly. Like I said, Toronto will always be special to the players, but the rivalry is dead. The tradition will live on.

I don't think it's dead to the fans, although Buttman seems to want it to be.

Teams like Calgary and the Ducks seem to have just as much hate for us and we have for them at this point...

We have to actually beat the Ducks to cement an intense rivalry with a non-regional, zero-tradition team.

There are very few rivalries left in the league.

I've been saying it for years, go back to the Campbell and Whales Conference and Norris Division days. No longer bound by geography but tradition. Age old rivalries could then be restored. Chicago, Toronto, going way back, Montreal. They could draw the lines where ever the FANS want them. (OK maybe NOT!) Think about the Rangers and the Kings being in the same conference with Dallas Minnesota.......

I love this idea.

I dont doubt that fans in Chicago and St. Louis still hate the Red Wings, but the intense hatred has to go both ways for it to be a true rivarly...and the other team has to have something to brag about. The Wings have mopped the floor with both the Blues and the 'Hawks pretty consistently for the last decade.

To be fair...the Wings didn't "mop the floor with the Blues last year". The Blues did quite well against the Wings last season and were over .500 vs. them....and won in Joe Louis twice.

And intense hatred doesn't have to go both ways for their to be a rivalry. "intense hatred" that goes both ways takes a rivalry to a new level, like the Sox and Yankees.

There are rivalries, and there are intense rivalries. The Wings and Blues have plenty of bitter history between them. It's not our fault if some of you guys don't remember or appreciate it. (and FYI...the Blues own the all-time record vs. the Wings...even after dominating the Blues for the past 10 years...well...except for last season)

The Blues look to be on the way back up as they rebuild their organization under John Davidson. Maybe that will make the Blues-Wings rivalry more interesting for you guys when the Blues are back in the playoffs and are challenging for the division again. Hopefuly that is sooner rather than later.

I totally agree that the Blues are a rivalry, but I think the Blues and their fans are way more jacked to play the Wings than we are to play them. Truth is, we are spoiled. We have had so much success that we don't really see a lot of teams as rivals. Again, I think Nashville, the Blues, the Hawks and the Jackets are all rivals, but the Wings do not have the same "rivalry" feelings towards those teams. Right now, they most likely have more dislike for the Flames and the Ducks.

Blues fans for the most part absolutely hate the Red Wings. It's our biggest rival. Having said that, the hatred needed for the Blues to be a Wings' rival in return is going to require the Blues eliminating the Red Wings in the playoffs. That is what truly builds a rivalry.

And intense hatred doesn't have to go both ways for their to be a rivalry. "intense hatred" that goes both ways takes a rivalry to a new level, like the Sox and Yankees.

There are rivalries, and there are intense rivalries. The Wings and Blues have plenty of bitter history between them. It's not our fault if some of you guys don't remember or appreciate it. (and FYI...the Blues own the all-time record vs. the Wings...even after dominating the Blues for the past 10 years...well...except for last season)

Hopefully it -is- sooner. The Blues are a good team to pit against the Wings.... and I'd be for some competition with them (they did good this year, as a lot of us overlook).

But I disagree (and agree with Yzerfan) on what qualifies a rivalry. It's like love--one person loves somebody, but they don't love the other person back, so is it love? It ain't. Same goes for sports rivalries, by roundabout fashion.

The fact that St. Louis fans do have such animosity toward the Wings means it can be picked up if the Blues become serious contenders though. That I don't doubt at all and look forward to very much.

For those that don't consider the Preds a rival, just remember, Kenny Holland does.

Towards the end of this interview he gets asked about the Preds and spells it out plain as day.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/audio/popup....27_wdfn_holland

Having attended Wings games at the Savvis (Scottrade, now) and at the GEC (WTF is it now?) - if you're going by crowd reaction/attitude, Preds win.

The Pred fans that I have interacted with while proudly sporting my Wings jersey were waaaay more intense than any of the Blues fans I came into contact with at the Savvis. Pred's building is louder and the Pred fans love to 'talk' it up win or lose.

The closest I came to any sort of 'rivalry' feeling in STL was when a traffic cop threatened to ticket me for jaywalking and then his partner said, "Well he's from Detroit, he doesn't know any better."

Blues fans for the most part absolutely hate the Red Wings. It's our biggest rival. Having said that, the hatred needed for the Blues to be a Wings' rival in return is going to require the Blues eliminating the Red Wings in the playoffs. That is what truly builds a rivalry.

Edited by FireCaptain

I'm not going to comment on the rivals aspect as that's been beat to death on this board by many, including myself. I am going to address this pretty stupid statement I've bolded. It was probably an exaggeration, but exaggerations tend to turn into a perception believed by many.

How can anyone believe that a team that has Radulov-Legwand-Erat and Sullivan-Arnott-Dumont as their top two lines think that is an AHL-level franchise? If you throw Kariya into the mix, you just get stronger (and he's rumored to be signing a two year, $9 million contract very soon). Mason did very well last year. It's up to him to prove he can be the man, but I can tell you that the team in front of him loves him and has a lot of confidence in him.

I hate losing Vokoun, but it appears that the team has the depth to handle that move. I hate losing Timonen and Hartnell as well, but we all (Predator fans) knew that we would be losing at least one, if not both, of those guys prior to last year even starting. I'm looking forward to Shea Weber being given an increased role on this team. I actually wouldn't be sad to see Marek Zidlicky traded as well. He was a liability to this team offensively and defensively last year.

Did you all believe that the Red Wings were an AHL level franchise just because Shanny, and his 81 points, left prior to last season? What about the loss of Stevie? Of course not. It was obviously a challenge to be conquered, but you knew you still had the talent to be successful. Shanny's points were spread around as was the leadership void.

Will the Predators have the same success? Who knows? It's a tall order, but they are still a very solid team. They will have depth issues if any major injuries occur.

I love to talk hockey on the message boards, but uneducated opinions like these are a little annoying. Sorry for the rant, but like I said, exaggerations lead to ignorant perceptions. You all know that I have never just stated stuff that I didn't try to supprt with at least a somewhat logical supporting argument. Yes, I know this is Red Wings board, but this is also the general hockey discussion and the topic involved the Predators.

Thanks for reading.

David Singleton

PredNation.com

Mr. Singleton,

I agree with you. I don't think that counting the preds out is the thing to do. I think they will still have a successful team. I am a little doubtful of Mason's skill but I don't know much about him.

As far as the rivilry goes. I think we definitly have a rivilry with Nashville and it is by far our biggest one. The fans and the teams don't like one another. I definitly don't want Nashville to move, I would hate to not go down there for my annual road trip and game. We get into crap every year and this past was one I would prefer to forget but other then that it is a great time. The Fan's truly love thier team. I even bought a t-shirt that says save the predators or something I have not recieved it yet.

I say support the Preds so we can enjoy beating them time and time again!!!!

Sorry I am really distracted.....

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!! Hey and Nashville has alot of spending room and Basille is not getting the team. The person who is next is alot less likely to move them. So maybe they will pick up Schnieder!!!! LMAO

I'm not going to comment on the rivals aspect as that's been beat to death on this board by many, including myself. I am going to address this pretty stupid statement I've bolded. It was probably an exaggeration, but exaggerations tend to turn into a perception believed by many.

How can anyone believe that a team that has Radulov-Legwand-Erat and Sullivan-Arnott-Dumont as their top two lines think that is an AHL-level franchise? If you throw Kariya into the mix, you just get stronger (and he's rumored to be signing a two year, $9 million contract very soon). Mason did very well last year. It's up to him to prove he can be the man, but I can tell you that the team in front of him loves him and has a lot of confidence in him.

I hate losing Vokoun, but it appears that the team has the depth to handle that move. I hate losing Timonen and Hartnell as well, but we all (Predator fans) knew that we would be losing at least one, if not both, of those guys prior to last year even starting. I'm looking forward to Shea Weber being given an increased role on this team. I actually wouldn't be sad to see Marek Zidlicky traded as well. He was a liability to this team offensively and defensively last year.

Did you all believe that the Red Wings were an AHL level franchise just because Shanny, and his 81 points, left prior to last season? What about the loss of Stevie? Of course not. It was obviously a challenge to be conquered, but you knew you still had the talent to be successful. Shanny's points were spread around as was the leadership void.

Will the Predators have the same success? Who knows? It's a tall order, but they are still a very solid team. They will have depth issues if any major injuries occur.

I love to talk hockey on the message boards, but uneducated opinions like these are a little annoying. Sorry for the rant, but like I said, exaggerations lead to ignorant perceptions. You all know that I have never just stated stuff that I didn't try to supprt with at least a somewhat logical supporting argument. Yes, I know this is Red Wings board, but this is also the general hockey discussion and the topic involved the Predators.

Thanks for reading.

David Singleton

PredNation.com

it was a combination of an exaggeration, a smart-assed comment, and just my overall hatred of nashville.

obviously nashville isnt an ahl franchise and they will probably make the playoffs this year, but also compared to their previous seasons roster its a huge downgrade. say what you want about mason but id rather vokoun any day of the week.

and to answer your question, i thought the red wings were in the same boat with a 41 year old goalie, no yzerman, no shanny, and everyone a year older, and if not for guys like cleary and hudler and filppula we wouldnt have lead the west in points.

Guest jaytan

To be fair...the Wings didn't "mop the floor with the Blues last year". The Blues did quite well against the Wings last season and were over .500 vs. them....and won in Joe Louis twice.

The Blues look to be on the way back up as they rebuild their organization under John Davidson. Maybe that will make the Blues-Wings rivalry more interesting for you guys when the Blues are back in the playoffs and are challenging for the division again. Hopefuly that is sooner rather than later.

Yeah, speaking as a lifelong Red Wings fan, I'd consider the Blues to be an "inconvenience", not a rivalry. I pity them much more than I hate them.

Come on, the Wings have beat the Blosers in four straight playoff series and Detroit's only allowed them one division title in 20 years. I can see why you'd have intense hatred for us, but I just can't feel the same way.

I think the problem is most of us (at least some of us) are considering the baseline for a rivalry to be what was between the Wings and Avs in the late 90s, however its important to note how truly exceptional that hostility was. Its to this day considered one of the greatest rivalries in franchise sports history, and its unfair to consider anything less than that not a rivalry.

Come on, the Wings have beat the Blosers in four straight playoff series and Detroit's only allowed them one division title in 20 years. I can see why you'd have intense hatred for us, but I just can't feel the same way.

Well, for starters...you're wrong.

The Blues have two division titles since 86-87, one of which was the President's Trophy...and they finished better than the Wings 4 times.

Soooo....while Detroit has indeed owned us...it wasn't quite as bad as you say. And Detroit hasn't won the division every year in the last 20...so to say that "Detroit's only allowed the Blues one division title in 20 years", is quite arrogant...and just plain wrong

The losses in the playoffs still sting.

Detroit's day will come.

Remember '92.

Apr 4 Detroit Red Wings 6 3 at St. Louis Blues

Apr 6 Detroit Red Wings 2 4 at St. Louis Blues

Apr 8 St. Louis Blues 2 5 at Detroit Red Wings

Apr 10 St. Louis Blues 3 4 at Detroit Red Wings

Apr 12 Detroit Red Wings 1 6 at St. Louis Blues

Apr 14 St. Louis Blues 3 0 at Detroit Red Wings

Apr 16 Detroit Red Wings 2 3 at St. Louis Blues

I think the problem is most of us (at least some of us) are considering the baseline for a rivalry to be what was between the Wings and Avs in the late 90s, however its important to note how truly exceptional that hostility was. Its to this day considered one of the greatest rivalries in franchise sports history, and its unfair to consider anything less than that not a rivalry.

Bravo.

Someone gets it.