• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rice

Hasek expected to sign by end of week.

Rate this topic

Khan:

By all indications, the Wings will sign Dominik Hasek later in the week. They'll end up paying a little more than they anticipated, probably a base salary around $2.5 million, with another $1 million-plus in bonuses, but it'll be worth it.

There's tidbits concerning Schneider and Bertuzzi in the article too. It looks like Schneider wants no less than $5 million. Let the guy go and take a run at Smyth. Khan expects Bertuzzi to sign for around $2 million. The Wings have a glut of defensemen ready to come in, and they have to go for it while Lidstrom is still around. I'd let Schneider walk and sign Bertuzzi and Smyth. After that, use young guys on defense and bring in a second-tier UFA. Lidstrom will carry who ever he is paired with.

Edited by ARice89

Khan:

There's tidbits concerning Schneider and Bertuzzi in the article too. It looks like Schneider wants no less than $5 million. Let the guy go and take a run at Smyth. Khan expects Bertuzzi to sign for around $2 million. The Wings have a glut of defensemen ready to come in, and they have to go for it while Lidstrom is still around. I'd let Schneider walk and sign Bertuzzi and Smyth. After that, use young guys on defense and bring in a second-tier UFA. Lidstrom will carry who ever he is paired with.

Wow, cya later Schneider. Many people have said what a great guy he is but I think money talks quite loudly for him. I remember he almost walked after his first season here.

I couldn’t be happier if Bert signs for a mere $2 million. I'd be prepared to pay at least $3 million so we should get this done as quickly as possible.

Guest DetroitIan

Can't complain about this signing. But damn. I sure wish we could get a netminder thats better than Osgood and cheaper than Hasek in order to keep Schneids and Big Bert. But what can ya do?

Edited by DetroitIan

Interesting. I thought we'd get Hasek a little cheaper than that. Bertuzzi for 2 million would be great. As for Smyth, I am defiantly not holding my breath on that one.

I am going to complain. 2.5 is too much for him. Plus that million in possible bonus money could make it harder to sign players next year.

Screw this.

Who do you want in net that gives you CLOSE to what Hasek does for anywhere near the price? Hell, if you'd be willing to let him walk because of a $2.5 million salary demand, who do you want to spend that $1.8 million or so on (since you've gotta pay Howard to be the backup now) that would offset the fact that you just downgraded our goalie from Dominik fricken Hasek to Chris Osgood?

And if he gets the million in possible bonus money--meaning we've probably made the WCF or SCF, which would in turn mean Dom is probably doing a damn fine job--doesn't that also mean that paying the starting goalie $2.5 million was probably a decent idea?

$2.5 million is still a BARGAIN for a goalie of Dom's caliber....You'd be lucky to get David Aebischer for that on the free agent market right now. That's like 2/3rds of what Martin fricken Gerber is making......

-Tim

I am going to complain. 2.5 is too much for him. Plus that million in possible bonus money could make it harder to sign players next year.

Screw this.

I was thinking along the same line. It's not like he isn't worth it, but he is going to be another year older, and with the injury always being a huge concern, it just seems risky.

Of course, "Where are we going to get another goalie of his level at that price?" I know, I know...

I was thinking along the same line. It's not like he isn't worth it, but he is going to be another year older, and with the injury always being a huge concern, it just seems risky.

Of course, "Where are we going to get another goalie of his level at that price?" I know, I know...

hasek know we need him more than he needs us

Who do you want in net that gives you CLOSE to what Hasek does for anywhere near the price?

$2.5 million is still a BARGAIN for a goalie of Dom's caliber....

It's a bargain (age and looming injury potential aside), without a doubt.

But it still sucks, especially considering: 1) Dom's rich, he's already rich. 2) It's his last year, does he want to make money or win a Cup? 3) That cash really could help us -- and him. Not his bank account, but him and his team.

can someone please explain to me once and for all why everyone is in love with ryan smyth? i really do not think he is worth the time. honestly i think its a joke how every other team wants him so bad. why? what does he bring that homer doesnt? especially after seeing homer in these playoffs. f*ck smyth. if we can have bertuzzi id rather have him. plus lets not forget that we have grigorenko who will pretty much have to get a roster spot or he will leave our organization for good. so lets look at lines for next year

flip-dats-bertuzzi

homer-zetter-grigs

maltby-draper-cleary

sammy-hudler/FA-franzen

lids-kron

lebda-markov/schnieder/FA/quincy/lilja

cheli-kindl(almost made team last year)/quincy/any other prospect/lilja

hasek

osgood

i think this team would be fine plus with the addition of a good deadline player (feds?)

also if we were to sign anyone in free agency to replace lang, i think a good cheap option would be kozlov. if hes cheap. if we cant afford it then stick with this. id like to hear your opinions . thanks

Edited by WingMachine91

can someone please explain to me once and for all why everyone is in love with ryan smyth? i really do not think he is worth the time. honestly i think its a joke how every other team wants him so bad. why? what does he bring that homer doesnt? especially after seeing homer in these playoffs. f*ck smyth. if we can have bertuzzi id rather have him. plus lets not forget that we have grigorenko who will pretty much have to get a roster spot or he will leave our organization for good. so lets look at lines for next year

flip-dats-bertuzzi

homer-zetter-grigs

maltby-draper-cleary

sammy-hudler/FA-franzen

lids-kron

hasek

osgood

i think this team would be fine plus with the addition of a good deadline player (feds?)

also if we were to sign anyone in free agency to replace lang, i think a good cheap option would be kozlov. if hes cheap. if we cant afford it then stick with this. id like to hear your opinions . thanks

You're saying we can't re-sign everybody AND also sign Smyth,Feds,Sarich & Kozzie as well?

:unsure:

Khan:

Groovy on Hasek and Bertuzzi, seems fair for both of them, I highly doubt if they asked for anything less, that could have made Schneider maybe lower his demands or make it easier for him to say (I'm assuming he's signging somewhere else at this point). Can't fault Schneider, he's just trying to look for the best deal possible for himself given the scenarios and what's out there. If the Wings can re-sign him, great, but I think he just priced himself out of the Wings' options. Focus on trying to re-sign Markov then if that's the cse.

Can't complain about this signing. But damn. I sure wish we could get a netminder thats better than Osgood and cheaper than Hasek in order to keep Schneids and Big Bert. But what can ya do?

Probably not going to find anybody significantly better than Osgood either, and at a discounted priced as well, as Osgood can probably still start for many teams in this league.

Detroit's goaltending situation is golden right now this year. A starter who has pretty much done it all, from winning hardware as the best goaltender multiple times, winning a Cup, winning a gold medal, and still proving that he can play at a very high level, and be one of the better players at this high level, this late in his career. And they have a guy who's mentally tough as nails, has helped win a Cup for his team as well, and knows how to play in the big games.

Both Hasek and Osgood are steals for the Wings in terms of salary. They both want to play in Detroit, and only in Detroit, and I think it's a good assumption to think that they could probably be making more money if they played on another team right now.

The Red Wings could be in a lot, lot worse of a situation right now in the crease area.

I can't say that I like the idea of paying Dom that much. The only thing different from last year is that he is a year older and more likely to break down. I'm all for letting Schneider go. The Wings have a great core of D-men. Quincy played great and Kindl almost made the team last year at camp. He has had another year to mature and I think that we will see him as a regular if the Wings don't sign Schneider.

It's a bargain (age and looming injury potential aside), without a doubt

The two things that you want to leave aside, are the two most important things to look at when you sign a player. That is like saying that a car is a great deal, if you don't look at the lack of doors and that the motor is gone.

Edited by LIDDYGIBBY5

So the price on Dom is a little higher than what I expexcted to pay, but I am not disappointed. Last year Dom played for us for next to nothing, he wanted a chance to prove himself and he did that, not to mention he freely gave back 3 million dollars to the Wings in 04. Dom has been more than fair on the give and take and his salary demands are not out of line for a goalie that had the season he just had. There are a few teams out there that if Hasek hit the free agency market might pay a bit more for him, and if you knock the injuries off his resume' or 5 years of his age he commandsat least 5 or 6 million per year on the free agency market.

flip-dats-bertuzzi

homer-zetter-grigs

maltby-draper-cleary

sammy-hudler/FA-franzen

lids-kron

hasek

osgood

so are you actually saying to pass on smyth and sign fedorov instead? are you serious?

that's a shame about Schneider -- but he has to decide if he wants to play for Detroit, or make more money. I hope it all works out well for him (except when he plays vs Detroit), I really like the guy.

As for Dom, the deal outlined in this thread is more than fair. There is nothing he can do to please everyone - he plays for peanuts and he's a chump, he asks for decent money and he's greedy. Take your pick. So, Dom might as well do what he and the Wings consider fair and reasonable. If he signs for this deal, it's not Dom breaking the bank. All the other three UFAs have to do is come back for the same money and we're all set.

As has been stated, we won't find another goalie who will play at the level Dom does - plus bring the confidence to the team that he does - for less. In fact, some less competent goalies play for $2-4M more than he's reportedly asking. Bargain to get him back one more year, no matter how you slice it.

I hope we get Bert back for the price stated, and I would love to keep Markov, too. Bye, Matty! :(

Edited by puckloo39

Schneids is worth the money, but thats the problem we don't have it to spend on him. I hope he sticks around because he wants to play for us but if he leaves i wouldn't hate him.

Dom should make that. he proved last year that he still had it and he was worth the money.

Bring back bert for around 2 mil, he can bring something to the team that we needed size and grit.

Am i the only one who really doesn't want to see smyth on the team, don't get me wrong he is great and i still would cheer for him but i just don't think we need him. all he does is homers job in front of the net and i am pretty sure homer does it better. theres just other guys out there that i think we could get.

Philly may have screwed the market temporarily, but not every UFA will be able to sign for their desired amount. Schneids may get $5 on the open market.......but only if he's snatched up immediately. The players that don't get signed within a few days of July 1st, will end up not making their exact desired amount. Granted, the best ones will be snatched up within those first couple of days, but Kenny will be able to go out and get a second tier defenseman at a discounted rate (a week or two after July 1st) to supplement either Schneider or Markov (or a player of that calibre).

There's your two defensmen, bring back Bert (if you can get him reasonably I.E. $2-$3 million), and sign Hasek to his $2.5 million base contract.

Top Tier Dman: $4 million

Second Tier Dman: $1.5-$2 million

Bert: $2-$2.5 million

Dom: $2 million (with performance bonuses)

Total: $10 million

This sucks , I really liked Schnieder. I blame Ed Snider for being a ******* idiot and giving Timonen 2.1 million too much.

Hasek at 2.5 just isnt something I want , why cant he sign for 1.5?

2 for Bert is perfect , at least he isnt being greedy.

Screw this.

What the hell are you smoking? Can you honestly say that Hasek did not play like a $2.5 million dollar goaltender this season? He played like a top-tier goalie, and $2.5 mill is nowhere near top-tier money. Get a grip.