• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Tkachuk traded back to Blues

Rate this topic

We need to get in on this "rights" bullsh*t! If Schneids won't sign, trade his damn rights to someone in the East. Get a few picks then trade the picks for the rights to negotiate with Smyth... I can't say I really like this new trend, but if it's the new way to sign UFA's in the NHL, Kenny needs to get in on it.

the blues traded back the 1st round pick for 2008 which is suppose to be a really good draft year for tkachuk ?? LMAO ....stupid morons , thats all i have to say lmao .........ridiculous move

We need to get in on this "rights" bullsh*t! If Schneids won't sign, trade his damn rights to someone in the East. Get a few picks then trade the picks for the rights to negotiate with Smyth... I can't say I really like this new trend, but if it's the new way to sign UFA's in the NHL, Kenny needs to get in on it.

i would trade his rights just for the fact that i think he wont come back due to the timonen signing and 2008 will be a good year , if we dont use the pick we'd get we can use it in a trade at the deadline

New ownership falls back into the same old, tired habits of the Blues organization. We love trading players and then getting them right back at increased price of course.

Next the Blues will bring back Grant Fuhr and Jeff Brown. Course this same organization shipped off Shanahan for Pronger (terrible trade), Hull for...., Joseph for...., and so on.

Little more time in the basement for the Blues.

Course we got rid of Oates as well. This team....I'm speechless really. How much more embarassing can thirty plus years get of shooting oneself in the foot time and again.

Feel sorry for E. Johnson playing this upcoming season. I have no doubt they will ride him the first half of the season, have a terrible start, blame the kid, and God knows what happen. Unreal.

Edited by stlwing14

I don't understand this move. Unless it was premeditated, it makes no sense whatsoever. To trade for the rights of KT says that they are fairly certain they can sign him. If they are so certain they can sign him, why not just wait a few more days? I can't see many teams getting in line to sign him. And if he does sign with the Blues, it means that's where he wanted to play anyhow.

I am a fan of the trade for rights idea. However, in this situation, I just don't see why the Blues did it.

I am not sure if I like this or not, but THE #1 pick that Atlanta got was the same one that they gave the Blues when the origiinal trade went thriough. The Blues will still have their own #1 in the next draft plus WE PICKED UP A 3RD OR 4TH ROUND PICK NEXT YEAR. Rent a player probably but 1 less free agent we have to worry about.

This rights crap is getting confusing. Why in the world would St Louis give a 1st rd pick to Atlanta for what amounts to a week or so of exclusive negotiating? What, does St Louis need to re- introduce him to the area again?! Like the guy doesnt already know everything about the organization! What am i missing here?

Guest DetroitIan

This is no real big shock. I remember reading an interview of him where he mention St. Louis as a place he eventually would go back to. I didnt necassarily think it was gonna be this season. But I did think he would go back to the blues at some point. Atlanta is such a talented team. The Blues wont even make the playoffs. Sucks for Keith IMO.

If Tkachuk wants to go back to St. Louis, then obviously he would just sign with them on July 1st. A first rounder? I dont get it.

From what I understand, the Blues would have only received that 1st round pick IF Tkachuk signed with the Thrashers in '08. Since that wasn't going to happen (apparently) the Blues wouldn't have received the conditional 1st round pick anyway.

:ph34r:

From what I understand, the Blues would have only received that 1st round pick IF Tkachuk signed with the Thrashers in '08. Since that wasn't going to happen (apparently) the Blues wouldn't have received the conditional 1st round pick anyway.

:ph34r:

Here is a question. It was a conditional first round pick. The conditions being if Atlanta re-signed KT. So, since they didn't re-sign KT, and obviously have no intentions of doing so, does this mean that Atlanta just sent KT, and a 4th round pick to St. Louis for nothing?

Or would the Blues have gotten something else in compensation when the Thrashers didn't sign KT?

There you go... if we cant sign Schnieder.. lets trade his rights for Johnson hahha... I know it wont happen ... but maybe the blues will take him since we probaly wont sign him and we can get something out of it in the process....

Here is a question. It was a conditional first round pick. The conditions being if Atlanta re-signed KT. So, since they didn't re-sign KT, and obviously have no intentions of doing so, does this mean that Atlanta just sent KT, and a 4th round pick to St. Louis for nothing?

Or would the Blues have gotten something else in compensation when the Thrashers didn't sign KT?

Combining both Tkachuk trades:

St. Louis got

2007 1st and 3rd round draft picks

2008 2nd round pick

Conditional 2008 4th or 2009 3rd round draft pick

Glen Metropolit

rights to Tkachuk

Atlanta got

borrowed Tkachuk for the playoffs

their conditional 1st round draft pick back from St.Louis

:crazy: Quick somebody call Atlanta to sell them some flux capacitors or Florida Swampland! :clown:

Edited by vangvace

No they didn't send it for nothing, they sent it because they in a sense rented Keth for a stronger chance at the cup in last year's playoffs. Basically the price was the 4th rounder, and if they would have won the cup, the 1st rounder.

No they didn't send it for nothing, they sent it because they in a sense rented Keth for a stronger chance at the cup in last year's playoffs. Basically the price was the 4th rounder, and if they would have won the cup, the 1st rounder.

It sure looks like they got hosed in this deal. Unless this was some sort of planned 'gentleman's agreement' or something, I just can't see why ATL would do this. Am I crazy?

Well, here is how the trade deadline deal went:

STL:

first round draft choice in 2007

third round draft choice in 2007

second round draft choice in 2008

Glen Metropolit

and upon a ATL signing of Tkachuk a conditional first round pick in 2008

ATL:

Tkachuk

Today's deal looks like this:

STL:

Keith Tkachuk

conditional fourth round draft pick in 2008, which could become a third round choice in 2009

ATL

conditional first round pick in 2008 (originally sent to STL from ATL in the deadline deal of Tkachuk)

What it all boils down to:

STL:

first round draft choice in 2007

third round draft choice in 2007

second round draft choice in 2008

Glen Metropolit

rights to Tkachuk

conditional fourth round draft pick in 2008, which could become a third round choice in 2009

ATL:

conditional first round pick that was theirs to begin with

So, again I ask. Is it just me, or did ATL just give up a pick for no reason? Obviously they don't intend to resign Tkachuk, so why make this deal? If I'm the GM in ATL, I just don't see how this benifits me at all.

The Blues did not give up a pick. The Blues would have only had that pick if Atlanta signed Tkachuk which they would not have done at the price of another first round pick.

The Blues also only get the fourth round pick if the Thrashers sign Tkachuk.

The Thrashers agreed to the trade so that they could now sign Tkachuk, if blues can't sign him by July 1, with only giving up a fourth round pick and not a firsrt round pick. While it gives the Blues a good chance to sign him in the next few days, Atlanta had no chance at all to sign him before this trade since the first round pick was too high of a price to pay. It also allows them to consider signing a RFA since there is no longer an emcumberred first round pick. Otherwise, ATL would not have a free first round pick for next year's draft to consider signing a RFA in early July before Tkachuk signed elsewhere and made the first round pick free again.

In return, St. Louis gets exclusive rights to sign him and if they can't, and ATL does, they get a fourth round pick.

The Blues pretty much gave up nothing. The conditional first round pick was never going to become a reality. This entire Tkachuk deal was a steal for St. Louis and a horrible move to begin with by Atlanta.

If Tkachuk signs at a reasonable hometown discount, it also won't get in the way of the rebuilding. It only makes the Blues more competitive for the next year or two, while their draftees/prospects play in minors and colleges, and other leagues around the world.

People over at TSN.com "Your Call" are ripping JD because they think the Blues gave away a first round pick that the Blues othewise would have had. This could not be further from the truth.

Good move so far. I just hope Tkachuk signs for less in St. Louis, maybe with incentives.

Go Blues.

Edited by Jack T Adams

The Blues did not give up a pick. The Blues would have only had that pick if Atlanta signed Tkachuk which they would not have done at the price of another first round pick.

The Blues also only get the fourth round pick if the Thrashers sign Tkachuk.

The Thrashers agreed to the trade so that they could now sign Tkachuk, if blues can't sign him by July 1, with only giving up a fourth round pick and not a firsrt round pick. While it gives the Blues a good chance to sign him in the next few days, Atlanta had no chance at all to sign him before this trade since the first round pick was too high of a price to pay. It also allows them to consider signing a RFA since there is no longer an emcumberred first round pick. Otherwise, ATL would not have a free first round pick for next year's draft to consider signing a RFA in early July before Tkachuk signed elsewhere and made the first round pick free again.

In return, St. Louis gets exclusive rights to sign him and if they can't, and ATL does, they get a fourth round pick.

The Blues pretty much gave up nothing. The conditional first round pick was never going to become a reality. This entire Tkachuk deal was a steal for St. Louis and a horrible move to begin with by Atlanta.

If Tkachuk signs at a reasonable hometown discount, it also won't get in the way of the rebuilding. It only makes the Blues more competitive for the next year or two, while their draftees/prospects play in minors and colleges, and other leagues around the world.

People over at TSN.com "Your Call" are ripping JD because they think the Blues gave away a first round pick that the Blues othewise would have had. This could not be further from the truth.

Good move so far. I just hope Tkachuk signs for less in St. Louis, maybe with incentives.

Go Blues.

I get why they Blues would make this deal. It's a great move for them, especially since Tkachuk was most likely going to re-sign with STL. However, I'm still baffled as to why ATL would bother with this move. I'm sure that STL talked to Tkachuk to see what his intentions were, and would not have made this deal if he didn't say he wanted to play in STL again.