• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
scotzman

Trading "Rights to Negotiate" with UFA's

Rate this topic

Not sure I like this new tactic, but so far the Flyers and Preds have done it. Now Atlanta and St. Louis have done it and word is that the Isles are taking offers for the "rights" to Smyth. I know there are no guarantees that you even sign the guy, but is this the new way of doing things in the NHL?

Personally, I think it's stupid, but if Kenny needs to jump into the fray, so be it.

If this is the new way of doing thing's then I'm not liking it one bit. I don't want the Wings to get involved in this either . In the new NHL with the salary cap and all , Draft picks are to very valuable and shouldn't be given up easily.

That's the thing I'm amazed by. How can these GM's just give up draft picks so easily. Too bad Kenny couldn't have parlayed a few picks out of trading Lang's rights... LOL. That would have been amazing!

I think for the league it is a no gain no loss type of thing, however for individual teams I think it is a big risk. You can make this trade and not end up signing the player, then you have given up a draft choice, just to say you talked to the player. Risky Business!!

That's the thing I'm amazed by. How can these GM's just give up draft picks so easily. Too bad Kenny couldn't have parlayed a few picks out of trading Lang's rights... LOL. That would have been amazing!

ya its too bad lang sucks that no one would come calling us for the rights to talk to him , id ship his rights off for a 7th pick , anything lol who knows maybe we'd find another gem .........if no progress is made with schneider i can see us a getting a 2nd-3rd rounder for him , id ship him as well ..........kyle calder id ship his rights away for a case of beer lmao

But anyways , im with you i dont like this trade for rights stuff but we might as well get in on it

just saw this .........

Kyle Calder to Toronto (e2)

LMAO , how could i forgotten toronto , when in doubt ship a players rights to toronto LMAO .........worst gm in the league , that team is a joke

Edited by kindlwillbegreat

Is this the first time this has happened? It kind of seems like a no-brainer to me.

I think this is a new trend in the NHL. Don't remember it happening in the past...

Guest jaytan

I think it's all right because of the risk factor.... Has it blown up in anyone's face yet?

I dont understand why they do that ... why not just keep your pick ... and negotiate with him free agency day's ... is it a rule or ....... anyone care to explain what the reason is of doing that and the upside and downside ... im a bit confused :unsure:

It's better than the abuse of compensatory picks that used to happen.

Anyone remember when NYR traded UFA-to-be Brian Leetch to Edmonton in June for a 4th rounder? No? Well, that's probably because he signed with the Rangers on July 1st. Edmonton got a better pick from the league than they gave up (2nd rounder), and the Rangers got a free pick for being patient with signing Leetch.

Seems more or less a "loop-hole"; I'm certain GM's are talking to the agents who in turn inform the player of the details...Agent then informs the team currently holding the players contract rights about the players interest in leaving (or not re-signing), & which team happens to be interested in such player...GM's of both teams then work out a deal.

This may not be how it's done, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is.

But why not instead of ... wasting a pick just wait till july 1 and negociate with him and let him choose what team he wants to play for ... whats the point of spending a pick on sum1 thats being a free agent in 5 days and on top if u know that his going to sign for your team ...

Example ... Kathchuck or wtv his name is ... wants to return to st-louis ... or st-louis wants him back ... why not just let him know that his welcomed back and their willing to sign him with the terms on july 1 and not trade a pick ... i hope someone actually agrees with me

Stupid philosophy (gm's)