• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank

Why do people say we need a 2nd line center?

Rate this topic

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2007/06/ru...erest_in_y.html

People are saying we're looking at Yashin (yuck) to be our 2nd line centre.

Everyone in Detroit knows that Babs, Holland and Bowman love Zetterberg at centre. It's his natural position and everyone says he's better down the middle.

And yet we have all these so-called "hockey people" saying that we need a 2nd line centre, assuming that Zetts is a natural LW.

Sorry for complaining but I'm tired of having this issue brought up.

P.S. I hate the idea of Yashin on our squad. We just got rid of a big dumb lazy centre. Why would we want another one?

Guest snowman89

I think we need someone that can play second line center if when Hank and Pavel are split up they go into a slump again. What I don't understand is after seeing Flip play out of his mind last year, why he isn't considered for this position.

I think as a whole most people did not see what some of saw out of flip, he is still relatively unkown and we dont know for SURE he can do the job, plus could it hurt getting another center of 2nd line quality and have three or four really good centers.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Holmstrom had great chemistry and for some part of the season they were the best-scoring line in the league. That's why we need a 2nd line center (Filppula isn't ready yet) - to keep the mentioned three together (not all the time, Zetterberg can sometimes play 2nd line C, no problem with that.) We also need a 2nd line center in case of injuries on our top lines.

I don't understand this either. It is time to split them up. Build a line around each one of them and let them do their stuff...

I would rather see us get a really solid goal-scoring winger at this point than another center to be converted to wing...

I don't understand this either. It is time to split them up. Build a line around each one of them and let them do their stuff...

I would rather see us get a really solid goal-scoring winger at this point than another center to be converted to wing...

I agree.

And if you watch how Babcock ran things the first month you can tell that he really, really likes Zetts at centre. It was only when the Wings were slumping horribly to start the year with little to no offense that he begrudgingly moved Z up to Datsyuk's line.

I'd rather go get a hardnosed winger like Smyth than another soft centre.

I think Filp is going to do a great job as our sometimes 3rd line centre and top 4 winger. He showed some great chemistry with Datsyuk in the playoffs.

Let Schneids and Markov walk, and then sign Bert and Smyth:

Smyth-Datsyuk-Sammy

Cleary-Zetts-Bert

Homer-Filp-Hudler/Grigs

Franzen-Draps-Maltby

Lidstrom-Krownwall

Lebda-Chelios

Leijla-Quincy

Hank and Pav are like peanut butter and jelly: they're even better together.

So were Messier and Gretzky. But then they split them up and they became, arguably, the best 1-2 punch down the middle the NHL has ever seen.

Sundin and Sakic are another pair. Sundin was actually a natural right-winger when he came to Quebec but they decided to move him to centre and they were better for it.

Besides, with both those guys down the middle, it'll give some other guys a shot at becoming an elite winger. It might help players like Grigorenko, Hudler, Franzen, Homer and maybe even Filppula.

So were Messier and Gretzky. But then they split them up and they became, arguably, the best 1-2 punch down the middle the NHL has ever seen.

Sundin and Sakic are another pair. Sundin was actually a natural right-winger when he came to Quebec but they decided to move him to centre and they were better for it.

Sundin was drafted in 1989 as a natural center who was shifted to the wing in Quebec because they also were bringing in that same year the 1990 top pick Owen Nolan. Nolan would center the second line for two seasons before the players switched places.

Because last time I checked we were called the "Wings" not the "Centres" <--- Note the World spelling version ;)

We've got lots of Wings on this team, so we obviously need some centres. :rolleyes: Geezzz, look down at your t-shirt. :ph34r:

Oh, and if the post christmas performance of Dats and Z doesn't convince you they belong together then go watch youtube.

i recently took the time to bring everyone on the current team in via trade in NHL 06, except I gave Lang the boot and signed much rumored Slava Kozlov. To be completely honest, I like how the team rolls:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Kozlov-Filppula-Frazen

Bertuzzi-Hudler-Samuellson

Cleary-Draper-Maltby

Of course I kept the D pairings as is, eventhough from the looks of it that ain't happening. And I'm well aware that is just a game and ideal, but is it really so far fetched, especially if the cap goes to $50m-$51m??

The thing is, I can see arguments for both sides. Flip played well beyond what anyone expected of him last season, but there's no guarantee that he will continue on this path to be a solid enough number 2 center on this Red Wings team. Obviously it would be ideal to have Z and Dats center the top two lines. In a perfect world, both of them will click all season on their respective lines and there will be no slumps.

However, this is hockey, and at some point of the season each of them will get in a slump. When that happens, what better line to have out there than the Z-Dats-Homer line. Easily the most dominant line in hockey this past February, and showed no signs of slowing until Z got injured. It would be very nice to be able to revert back to this line given a slump occurs, and if that happens, Kenny and Co will probably want an experienced and proven 2nd line center (which Filppula is technically yet to be considered).

All in all, if Flip can play like he did last year plus even a little better, this isn't an issue, but the problem is that there's no guarantee that it'll happen, and top Centers are plentiful this offseason. If you can sign one reasonably, it takes the pressure of a guy like Flip and allows him to continue his development without the possibility of stunting his growth.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2007/06/ru...erest_in_y.html

People are saying we're looking at Yashin (yuck) to be our 2nd line centre.

Everyone in Detroit knows that Babs, Holland and Bowman love Zetterberg at centre. It's his natural position and everyone says he's better down the middle.

And yet we have all these so-called "hockey people" saying that we need a 2nd line centre, assuming that Zetts is a natural LW.

Sorry for complaining but I'm tired of having this issue brought up.

P.S. I hate the idea of Yashin on our squad. We just got rid of a big dumb lazy centre. Why would we want another one?

you are complaining for people brinnging up this issue when you are the one who brought it up...hmmmm :blink::huh:

Edited by Spongewingredpants

you are complaining for people brinnging up this issue when you are the one who brought it up...hmmmm :blink::huh:

Duh. I'm complaining about the fact that everyone keeps talking about how we need a #2 centre when we already have one.

Where in my post did I complain that we need a #2 centre?

Sundin was drafted in 1989 as a natural center who was shifted to the wing in Quebec because they also were bringing in that same year the 1990 top pick Owen Nolan. Nolan would center the second line for two seasons before the players switched places.

Sundin was a natural RW. He was interviewed on the CBC last season and he spoke about how he always played RW until he was drafted by Quebec. And after they moved him to centre he loved it and felt it was a perfect fit for him.

Edited by Hank

All in all, if Flip can play like he did last year plus even a little better, this isn't an issue, but the problem is that there's no guarantee that it'll happen, and top Centers are plentiful this offseason. If you can sign one reasonably, it takes the pressure of a guy like Flip and allows him to continue his development without the possibility of stunting his growth.

:clap: Well said. An excellent argument. :thumbup:

Because the team needs a second line center!!!

LOL just kidding, Due to the success that Dats and Zatta have when on the same line as opposed to the way the team performs when they are seperate makes a lot of us want to keep them together. However, I believe that Shanny leaving and Stevie retiring will pay tremendously for these two. Now the pressure is squarely on them, they now are the team and it is their team. Where as before it was Stevie and Shanny's team, and we were saying "It will be Dats and Hank's team in the future". As a player that has to be a tough role.

Where am I going with this, they both have seemed to step up their games a little last year in the new roles. I hope that this coming year they develop a game away from each other on separate lines.

Of course they are going to have more success on the same line, they have a ton of chemistry together.

So it works, you take a cup of Dats mix it with a cup of Hank and throw in any winger you want IE: homer, flip, hully (past reference not saying now) and you will have success. The problem is they really haven't developed chemistry with anyone else, due to revolving line mates and playing primarily with each other.

But I would love a Shanny Dats Hank line. OHHH I think I soiled myself just thinking about it!!!

Splitting Z and Dats up would be obsurd, and Filpulla is ready to make his debut as second line center. I'd say we're set up the middle.

The Wings should use these lines:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Holmstrom

Filppula/Datsyuk/Bertuzzi

Cleary/Franzen/Grigorenko

Maltby/Draper/Kopecky

Any questions?

Yeah, I have a question... What?

Sorry Geico Caveman reference. :hehe:

I don't think Datsyuk and Zetterberg should be split up, and if so, Filpulla should play with Z and Hudler with Dats. Just what I think.