• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rick zombo

The Wings, The Cap, and The Future

Rate this topic

It's what I've been saying since the start of the offseason. This team can't realistically add a high-priced forward for any length of time since they've got to account for Zetterberg getting a $5 million raise or so in a couple of years (Thank God he has the worst agent ever by the way....how on earth did we lock him up for so long at that salary???)

If Lidstrom leaves, that frees up some room, but then you've GOT to pump some money into the blueline.

Just get a guy like Kozlov, sign Hasek and Schneider and let's take another run at it. We'll have cap room to make another move at the deadline and then it's yippee ki yay mother f***ers!

-Tim

It's what I've been saying since the start of the offseason. This team can't realistically add a high-priced forward for any length of time since they've got to account for Zetterberg getting a $5 million raise or so in a couple of years (Thank God he has the worst agent ever by the way....how on earth did we lock him up for so long at that salary???)

If Lidstrom leaves, that frees up some room, but then you've GOT to pump some money into the blueline.

Just get a guy like Kozlov, sign Hasek and Schneider and let's take another run at it. We'll have cap room to make another move at the deadline and then it's yippee ki yay mother f***ers!

-Tim

id rather have a big forward that can play then kozlov .....as for getting lucky with zetterberg holland saw the potential and locked him up before he had that big year , its all about holland

id rather have a big forward that can play then kozlov .....as for getting lucky with zetterberg holland saw the potential and locked him up before he had that big year , its all about holland

If you'd like a guy like Bertuzzi, I wouldn't question it. Depending on his salary. $3 million per PLUS an extra second round pick wouldn't work for me, but if Holland really thinks he can be a 65-80 point guy again, then I'm all for it. Apart from him, I'm not sure if there are any other "big" forwards out there that we wouldn't have to break the bank for.

I just like the idea of Kozlov back in a Wings jersey. I think he'd look great playing with Datsyuk--and I think Datsyuk would love having a Russian on his line.

As for Zetterberg, it was a brilliant signing by Holland. It was obvious that Z was going to be a star. I'm just not sure how his agent allowed him to sign a contract like that (Particularly when you consider that Kronwall's agent was able to get the Wings to pony up $3 million per for absolutely no reason). Was there anyone in our fanbase that didn't think that Zetterberg for that price was a great signing for the Red Wings when it happened?

-Tim

Wings with Smyth>>>>>Wings without him

Hes worth 5 million.

Zetterberg at 7 million in 09? I dont care how high the cap is , There is NO hockey player worth that much money. Maybe Lidstrom , but he'll probably be getting less next year , but not much less.

Guest Crymson

Wings with Smyth>>>>>Wings without him

Hes worth 5 million.

Gee, the Wings with Smyth would be better than the Wings without him? Really? Does this mean that if we added both Smyth and Briere the team would be even BETTER than if we only got Smyth? Wow!

I don't believe you've hit on the gist of the discussion.

Zetterberg at 7 million in 09? I dont care how high the cap is , There is NO hockey player worth that much money.

Ummm...

memory problems lmao

I never said Guerin played on a line with Thornton. Again, way to go. ----------------You did say guerin could not get 35-40 goals with thornton so with that dumb statement i assumed you thought they played together .......i dont know how you could assume guerin wouldnt be able to get 35 goals with thornton , when cheechoo got 56 goals with him , and his previous high was 28 , and guerin got 28 on a really bad stl team before coming down to san jose .

Your just stating an opinion but stop making it sound like you know its a known fact that guerin wouldnt get 35-40 goals playing with thornton , thats just stupid .......And i do believe he would be able to get 35-40 goals in detroit playing with datsyuk with the shot he has and also getting ppl time

And i guess your not the one who watched hockey cause if you did you'd know lalime did have a good stretch towards the end where he played really well , then again you just check "stats" .....And just cause he had a bad stretch doesnt mean anything players get bad stretches at times , guerin still got 8 goals in the season in 16 games with the sharks and have 36 goals at the end of the year , pretty dam good year for guerin if you ask me

Honestly, where do you get off on acting like you know everything? ------------Your the one who acts like you know it all , you just check the stats and assume you know everything about a player , your saying guerin wouldnt get 35-40 goals with thornton with such conviction when you got no proof when you know for a fact cheechoo had a 28 goal improvement playing with thornton , and you dont think guerin could get 35 goals with thornton feeding him ? thats ridiculous

And yes we did do fine last season but it wouldnt hurt to add a guy who can shoot the puck and a guy who wouldnt require a longterm deal , realistically guys like guerin are players holland will most likely be looking at cause it wouldnt require 4-5 yr deals such as smyth,drury and others would

Hopeless.

Edited by Crymson

Hopeless.

LMAO .........hey at least we feel the same way about eachother , nice way of dodging the bill guerin situation , i guess with thornton he would of only gotten 20 goals lmao .......your sad, can someone tell me how to block someone from the board ?? no point reading what this so called know it all has to say

Edited by kindlwillbegreat

Well Thornton and Guerin have played on the same line together so I guess if one were inclined to be a stat person they could compare Guerin's stats from 99-00 to the stats of 00-01 and 01-02.

But to ignore some one just click on their name, then in the window that pops up click profile options then choose ignore user.

If you would like screen shots there is a fee incorporated and you must call the helpdesk!!!

LOL, sorry I am an IT guy!!!

Well Thornton and Guerin have played on the same line together so I guess if one were inclined to be a stat person they could compare Guerin's stats from 99-00 to the stats of 00-01 and 01-02.

But to ignore some one just click on their name, then in the window that pops up click profile options then choose ignore user.

If you would like screen shots there is a fee incorporated and you must call the helpdesk!!!

LOL, sorry I am an IT guy!!!

lmao thanks for the info im sure ill be using it soon enough .....ill pass on the screen shots though lol :P

I think Lidstrom could be gone by 09-10.

Don't kill me.

Agreed. I bet he resigns at the end of the season for a one year deal, then retires. Or maybe even hangs em up after this year? It would be nice to get a deal done with Zetterberg BEFORE he hits the end of his current contract. The Wings HAVE to hold on to him - he is more important then Datsyuk IMO...I hope the Wings realize that.

Sooooooooo, lets say Detroit signs Smyth for a long term deal at say 5.5M/yr.

In the 2009-10 season, Zetterberg will be a UFA.

After this season, Lidstrom will be a UFA.

Datsyuk is signed for 6.7/yr.

How will this team be able to sign Zetterberg in 09-10?

You'd have:

Datsyuk - 6.7M

Lidstrom - 7M

Smyth - 5.5M

Zetterberg - 5.5-6M

for a total of approx. 25M

even if the cap is at 55M that only leaves 30M to fill out a roster which needs 19 more players.

To answer your question:

By dumping as much payroll as we can and dressing players at the league minimum even if they're not ready?

Another interesting thought is what is going to happen to the cap over the next couple seasons. How screwed could we be if the cap takes a swan dive? Especially in the scenario you described.

Sooooooooo, lets say Detroit signs Smyth for a long term deal at say 5.5M/yr.

In the 2009-10 season, Zetterberg will be a UFA.

After this season, Lidstrom will be a UFA.

Datsyuk is sogned for 6.7/yr.

How will this team be able to sign Zetterberg in 09-10?

You'd have:

Datsyuk - 6.7M

Lidstrom - 7M

Smyth - 5.5M

Zetterberg - 5.5-6M

for a total of approx. 25M

even if the cap is at 55M that only leaves 30M to fill out a roster which needs 19 more players.

btw theres no way datsyuk gets more money then zetterberg , it should be a similar deal , alot closer then dats makin 1.2 more