• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rick zombo

Khan - Is there enough cap sapce for Smyth?

Rate this topic

I think Kenny would benefit by either trading or waiving Samuelsson or Lilja if anyone would take them. 2.2 million taken up in useless players that we could use to keep Bert and Schnieds while signing Smyth.

I think the wings should persue Smyth , hes a heart and sole guy , a 30 goal scorer , a good PP guy.

I like Homer as much as the next guy , he isnt as good as Smyth.

So , saying Sammy and Lilja are either waived or traded and those 3 are signed, Our lines would look like

Zetterberg(2.25)-Datsyuk(6.75)-Holmstrom(3)

Smyth(4.5)-Filpula(645k)-Bertuzzi(2.5)

Maltby(883k)-Draper(2.1)-Cleary(663k)

Franzen(947k)-Kopecky(500K)-Grigenko(830k)

Lidstrom(7.6)-FA Defenceman(1.5-2)

Kronwall(3.5)-Schnieder(4)

Lebda/Quincey(800/450k)-Chelios(860k)

Hasek(2)

Osgood(830k)

3 good scoring lines , a good checking line , everyones good defensively and a pretty good defence too.

First off, make fun on the Islanders and Garth Snow all you want, but the reality is if DiPietro stays healthy, it's a steal to have him at that price ($4.5). He is a top 10 goaltender in the NHL.

That being said, if they sign Smyth to a long-term deal, rumored to be 8 years, they wouldn't get significant ROI. A front-loaded contract would help a possible trade or buy out, but still, I think 5 years is a stretch given his style of play.

The Wings do have enough cap room to weasle in Smyth. However, they would not be able to sign Hank, Nick, Flip, ect... when the time comes.

Smyth for anything more than $3.5-$4.5 won't happen in Detroit, and even at that price it's still a tough call.

First off, make fun on the Islanders and Garth Snow all you want, but the reality is if DiPietro stays healthy, it's a steal to have him at that price ($4.5). He is a top 10 goaltender in the NHL.

That being said, if they sign Smyth to a long-term deal, rumored to be 8 years, they wouldn't get significant ROI. A front-loaded contract would help a possible trade or buy out, but still, I think 5 years is a stretch given his style of play.

The Wings do have enough cap room to weasle in Smyth. However, they would not be able to sign Hank, Nick, Flip, ect... when the time comes.

Smyth for anything more than $3.5-$4.5 won't happen in Detroit, and even at that price it's still a tough call.

I think we'll have alot of space actaully.

Samuelsson and Liljas contracts are up next year , I hope there gone.

Thats 2.2 million. Draper will be down in the 1mil - 1.5 mil range.

So thats either 1 mil or 750K to our cap space.

Lidstrom may take a small pay cut of a million or so.

Thats nearley 4.2 million in theory and if Hank , Nick , Filp etc. need the money next season , we could have it.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Get Hasek and Bertuzzi done first like expected...

Focus on trying to get at least 1 of Schneider/Markove signed...

If the Wings still have cap space left and are able to sign Ryan Smyth, I will do backflips off my rooftop in celebration.

I think we'll have alot of space actaully.

Samuelsson and Liljas contracts are up next year , I hope there gone.

Thats 2.2 million. Draper will be down in the 1mil - 1.5 mil range.

So thats either 1 mil or 750K to our cap space.

Lidstrom may take a small pay cut of a million or so.

Thats nearley 4.2 million in theory and if Hank , Nick , Filp etc. need the money next season , we could have it.

^^^Werd^^^

I am so sick of people making the argument that we can't sign any big name UFA's this off-season because we have to worry about Hank in 2 years. Like if we were to sign Smyth to a 5 mil 5 year deal and we came up short for Hank when the time came, we wouldn't be able to find ANYBODY to take Smyth off our hands. That's just insane. So let's just go ahead and spend 3-4 million less than we're able to so we can sign one player YEARS from now.

We have a least 12 million dollars to spend this year, I guarantee Holland is going to use every last penny.

Edited by Bannedforlife

^^^Werd^^^

I am so sick of people making the argument that we can't sign any big name UFA's this off-season because we have to worry about Hank in 2 years. Like if we were to sign Smyth to a 5 mil 5 year deal and we came up short for Hank when the time came, we wouldn't be able to find ANYBODY to take Smyth off our hands. That's just insane. So let's just go ahead and spend 3-4 million less than we're able to so we can sign one player YEARS from now.

We have a least 12 million dollars to spend this year, I guarantee Holland is going to use every last penny.

It's not just that we need to sign a few guys in a few years. Holland has said a few times that he has $10 to spend this offseason. He still needs a goalie, 2 dmen (at least 1 top 4), and a top 6 forward.

So how would it be wise in any regard to go after someone like Smyth? Besides, signing the big name UFA's isn't Kenny's style.

It's not just that we need to sign a few guys in a few years. Holland has said a few times that he has $10 to spend this offseason. He still needs a goalie, 2 dmen (at least 1 top 4), and a top 6 forward.

So how would it be wise in any regard to go after someone like Smyth? Besides, signing the big name UFA's isn't Kenny's style.

Hull , Robataille , Joseph , Hatcher ? :lol:

I think were gonna be in the running for Smyth. He wants 6million , when teams start offering that (Philly , Columbus , Chicago etc.) , Hes gonna have to make a decision , take less to go to a much better team. Or get the big $$$ and miss the playoffs for however long his contract lasts.

Get Hasek and Bertuzzi done first like expected...

Focus on trying to get at least 1 of Schneider/Markove signed...

If the Wings still have cap space left and are able to sign Ryan Smyth, I will do backflips off my rooftop in celebration.

Agree. We can't afford Smyth, we just can't.

Darnitall, he WOULD be a sweet addition: but the reason I don't buy the Louis Vuitton Speedy for my daughter is the same rationale why Wings cannot sign Ryan: the numbers won't crunch, Both LV and RS are luxuries, and when it all comes down to it, luxuries that she/Wings don't need to succeed, anyway.

Probably is.

but likely wont happen.

not saying I wouldent mind it though.

I think the wings need to be careful not to spend to much and lose zetteberg next season like the oilers did spending on hemsky and not enough money left on smyth

Did you even read the Khan article? Regardless of what Kenny tells the media, the numbers say that we have 14.8 million to spend if the cap goes up to $51 million or $12.8 million if it goes to $49 million (which is the most common estimate I've heard) and that already includes the bonus money we owe to Chelios and Hasek and $1 million for injuries and deadline deals. So you got $2.5 mil for Hasek, $2.5 mil for Markov, $2.5 mil for another UFA d-man and then $5 mil left for Smyth. Or you could have Meech play for $500k, as Kahn suggests, and still have 2.8 mil for Bertuzzi. It's possible and looks more and more like it will in fact happen.

No room for Smyth...I can't see him signing for less than $6 million and minimum 5 years

Smyth is looking to go back west...Calgary a good spot if they can dump 5.3 million on MTL

Vancouver is another spot...just enough room...toronto still in the running

But to me he will be overpriced and his 30 year old body had 35 years on it and

what maybe 3 years left at his pace.

Isle have a goalie at a good price but won't be able to play his last 5 years of that contract

that's a good deal