• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Legionnaire11

Preds Sale

Rate this topic

http://www.900chml.com/news/news_local.cfm...=news_local.cfm

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/st...3d8&k=13390

Good news sort of. Nothing official, the local group still plans on making an offer within the next week.

There are two things that are better about this deal. First, del Biaggio isn't as dead set on moving the team as fast as possible. He'll be a lot more patient and a lot more open to staying in Nashville if the fans respond. Second, a move to kansas city doesn't really help the league as much as the Hamilton move would have, there isn't a clear demand for hockey in KC and the owners won't be as likely to approve a relocation that would be a lateral move at best.

What a roller coaster this has become over the last month. The funny part is that the drama behind it all will be just as crazy over the next month as it was this past one.

Either way, it looks like the Preds will be around for a few more years...........unfortunately with a team next year that won't be as strong as the 06/07 squad.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

A company he owns signed a 20-year lease on Copps Coliseum in Hamilton, and accepted thousands of deposits on season tickets, which sold out in less than two days but raised eyebrows at the NHL's head office.

So the interest is there

Still others say Mr. Leipold, who is expected to sign a binding, exclusive deal with Mr. DelBiaggio's group today, has accepted substantially less money as a result of intense pressure from Mr. Bettman, who wanted to usher a team to Kansas City.

But captain ruintheleague wants a team in KC. Have we not learned anything yet? What's next for Bettman? Is he going to take a crack at running the Lions?

So it's okay to selll to a guy who wants to move the team to KC...but it's NOT okay to sell to the guy (for $50M more, to boot) who wants to move the team to Southern Ontario.

Oooookay...strange things are afoot in Bettman's office.

if anyone in Nashville thinks del Biaggio isn't going to move the team to Kansas City, they're wrong...the Preds are as good as gone no matter who buys them, unless the local group comes through...moving to Kansas City is a sweet deal, the arena is rent free...other than Hamilton it'd be my first choice.

I never really cared about Bettman either way, but I think this is pretty ridiculous...if someone offered me $238 million or $190 million for the team, which one do you think I'd pick? it's completely obvious that something else is at play behind the scenes (ie Bettman not wanting to move the team to Canada)...$50 million is a heck of a lot of money to walk away from, even if you're a billionaire...I'd like to see the other owners stand up to Bettman and tell him to shove it and approve the sale to Balsillie and the move to Hamilton.

There is blame to go around on all sides, Balsillie included for jumping the gun and making plans to move to Hamilton before the team was even his, but it seems pretty fishy that Leipold would leave $50 million on the table...the only possibility is that he wants to get his money now from a guaranteed source instead of Balsillie who might pull out of the deal if he can't move the team...drama indeed

What is interesting is whoever talks with Nashville wants to get the team out of there. There is no-one except Bettman that wants the team to stay. Maybe Bettman can put together with a rich benefactor a deal and buy the team. Then Mr. Wonderful can run the Preds and get the hell out of the league office (yes I know, a pipe dream). I am starting to think the league has something against Balsillie. To bad he would make a great owner and add a fresh face.

Yeah they are still gone.

per TSN.ca "DelBiaggio has an agreement with the Anschutz Group to own and operate an NHL franchise in the new arena(Spring Center.)"

I could see them moving for sure now, more than before. Because thats how this league is run. We don't want the NHL in Hamilton but going to KC, where a team failed after only 2 seasons before, is ok. Just like going back to Atlanta. Why don't they just put teams in Cleveland, Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec? Am I missing any other ones? At least some of those would make sense. But KC couldn't handle a team for 2 years. At least it would be keeping them in the West. It would have bugged me a little if the Preds went east and the Wings were still stuck in the west.

Good news sort of. Nothing official, the local group still plans on making an offer within the next week.

There are two things that are better about this deal. First, del Biaggio isn't as dead set on moving the team as fast as possible. He'll be a lot more patient and a lot more open to staying in Nashville if the fans respond. Second, a move to kansas city doesn't really help the league as much as the Hamilton move would have, there isn't a clear demand for hockey in KC and the owners won't be as likely to approve a relocation that would be a lateral move at best.

I think anyone who thinks the Preds aren't on the move is kidding themselves.

There are quite a few rumblings that this newest bidder wants to move the team to K.C.. And why not? It's lease free and the owner gets a chunk of all the events that take place in the building. It's a slam dunk.

And I will argue your point that a team in KC doesn't do as much as a team in Hamilton for the league. While I fully agree that having the team move to Hamilton over KC is much better for the league because it will be successful and stable there, that's not how the BOG thinks. They think "How will a team moving to Hamilton expand interest in the US?". It won't. Having a team in KC will introduce new fans in that area and they're hoping it spreads.

My thought is that this whole soap opera is a great example of why the NHL is a laughing stock in the eye of North American sports. They put a team in a bad hockey market and then they do everything in their power to make sure that team goes to another proven bad hockey market instead of a good one, where it's sure to be successful.

What is insane in the real world, is genius in the NHL.

But I think it's fair to say that in the end, the Preds are leaving town; possibly as early as the 08-09 season. If Liopold was dead set against the move he would have never activated that clause.

I think anyone who thinks the Preds aren't on the move is kidding themselves.

There are quite a few rumblings that this newest bidder wants to move the team to K.C.. And why not? It's lease free and the owner gets a chunk of all the events that take place in the building. It's a slam dunk.

And I will argue your point that a team in KC doesn't do as much as a team in Hamilton for the league. While I fully agree that having the team move to Hamilton over KC is much better for the league because it will be successful and stable there, that's not how the BOG thinks. They think "How will a team moving to Hamilton expand interest in the US?". It won't. Having a team in KC will introduce new fans in that area and they're hoping it spreads.

My thought is that this whole soap opera is a great example of why the NHL is a laughing stock in the eye of North American sports. They put a team in a bad hockey market and then they do everything in their power to make sure that team goes to another proven bad hockey market instead of a good one, where it's sure to be successful.

What is insane in the real world, is genius in the NHL.

But I think it's fair to say that in the end, the Preds are leaving town; possibly as early as the 08-09 season. If Liopold was dead set against the move he would have never activated that clause.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your assessment. However, your assessment should be based upon all of the facts.

The owner of the Predators receives 100% (not just a chunk) of revenues from the arena while the city is responsible for all maintenance and upgrades. On the surface, it appears the lease in Nashville is better.

Thanks.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your assessment. However, your assessment should be based upon all of the facts.

The owner of the Predators receives 100% (not just a chunk) of revenues from the arena while the city is responsible for all maintenance and upgrades. On the surface, it appears the lease in Nashville is better.

Thanks.

Expect for the part of losing $15M a year. ;)

I'm going to ask you a quesiton and I want a short, blunt answer.

Do you believe that Nashville is a good hockey market and do you think it can survive there long term? And if you do, can you provide proof of both?

As far as I see it, this team will either be moved or folded in the next 2-5 years. It's a horrible hockey market and the weak fan and corporate support has proven it. If it wasn't the current owner, who appears to be very pationate about hockey and Preds hockey in particular, would not be trying to sell it and he certainly wouldn't have triggered that clause in the lease that would allow him to pull up shop.

Edited by Hank

Why did they ever put a team in Nashville in the first place? Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful city, but it is not a hockey city. It is not even a big market and won't be any time soon. I can agree that some teams in southern and southwesternl markets is good for the league, but lets not flood it with them. Keep Dallas, San Jose, LA, Tampa Bay, maybe Carolina( Raleigh is actually a great sports town believe it or not ) and scrap the rest. That includes Anaheim. I don't care if they got lucky and won a cup, they are a joke!!

Why is there all this talk of Kansas City? We already have a team in the great state of Missouri. Kansas City is not St. Louis as it seems more like a southern city while St. Louis seems more like a northern and therefore more "Hockey Friendly" city. Having said that, why not Milwaukee? Hockey is big in Wisconsin, the Redwings are too far away and the Blackhawks suck.

Why did they ever put a team in Nashville in the first place? Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful city, but it is not a hockey city. It is not even a big market and won't be any time soon. I can agree that some teams in southern and southwesternl markets is good for the league, but lets not flood it with them. Keep Dallas, San Jose, LA, Tampa Bay, maybe Carolina( Raleigh is actually a great sports town believe it or not ) and scrap the rest. That includes Anaheim. I don't care if they got lucky and won a cup, they are a joke!!

Very valid question. And it's something only the BOG and their insane thought-process can answer.

Even Seattle would have been a better choice. It has a cold environment during the winter and it's very close to the Canadian border. You'd be sure to sell out almost every night.

Same with Portland, Maine, North Dakota or even Wiconson. All three locations have a rabid NCAA following. But there's nothing sexy about Portland, ND or Wisoncon. We'll see hockey in Vegas and New Mexico before a state or city with an actual hockey background gets a team.

Two questions for the Nashville people here.

1. Why has it taken the city 9 years to wake up. Now there's panic once someone wants to take it away. I've been to a game there. LOTS of Wing fans made the trip. Not sure how the other games go. So, why can't they support a team without being theaten?

2. What happens after next year?? Lets say you get to keep the team, people come to the games, business buy the tickets, but then what? Think the support will still be there after a year? We have the problem here. Corporates buy the good seats and never show. Makes the place look empty. Pissing the true fans off who want those seats. Are your business going to buy the same tickets the following year once the threat is gone??

I hope you guys can make something work, I do like going down there.

Why is there all this talk of Kansas City? We already have a team in the great state of Missouri. Kansas City is not St. Louis as it seems more like a southern city while St. Louis seems more like a northern and therefore more "Hockey Friendly" city. Having said that, why not Milwaukee? Hockey is big in Wisconsin, the Redwings are too far away and the Blackhawks suck.

Why? Read the last paragraph.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212106&hubname=nhl

Also because the new arena was built there to try and draw in a NBA or NHL team. AND they were courting the Pens when they were looking at relocating. No one here is really saying that where they should move. Its just thats where it seems they will be going.

I agree with you that KC might not have a demand but also you have to look at Nashville not having the demand as well. And do not pull that "generation and some new rinks have gone up" crap. I can spin that back at you saying that about KC.

Edited by Jwo

Expect for the part of losing $15M a year. ;)

I have not ever discounted the fact that the franchise has lost money. I don't agree that it was $15 million a year, but nobody with the exception of Leipold and present an open account.

I'm going to ask you a quesiton and I want a short, blunt answer.

Do you believe that Nashville is a good hockey market and do you think it can survive there long term? And if you do, can you provide proof of both?

As far as I see it, this team will either be moved or folded in the next 2-5 years. It's a horrible hockey market and the weak fan and corporate support has proven it. If it wasn't the current owner, who appears to be very pationate about hockey and Preds hockey in particular, would not be trying to sell it and he certainly wouldn't have triggered that clause in the lease that would allow him to pull up shop.

Fair enough.

Today, the Predators are a franchise that has continued to grow in paid attendance since the '02-'03 season despite a steady increase in ticket price. Unfortunately, to this point, the city leadership and corporate community has not supported this franchise. This situation is squarely the fault of the City of Nashville. In short, up to this point, the City of Nashville has not shown itself as a good market. They have no one else to blame but themselves.

Now, if the corporate community is truthfully stepping up, then the market should be successful. All evidence points to a franchise that continues to increase their individual fan base, despite ticket price increases. If the corporate community steps up, then Nashville is a viable long-term market, if not- then no.

David Singleton

PredNation.com

I have not ever discounted the fact that the franchise has lost money. I don't agree that it was $15 million a year, but nobody with the exception of Leipold and present an open account.

Fair enough.

Today, the Predators are a franchise that has continued to grow in paid attendance since the '02-'03 season despite a steady increase in ticket price. Unfortunately, to this point, the city leadership and corporate community has not supported this franchise. This situation is squarely the fault of the City of Nashville. In short, up to this point, the City of Nashville has not shown itself as a good market. They have no one else to blame but themselves.

Now, if the corporate community is truthfully stepping up, then the market should be successful. All evidence points to a franchise that continues to increase their individual fan base, despite ticket price increases. If the corporate community steps up, then Nashville is a viable long-term market, if not- then no.

David Singleton

PredNation.com

I'll agree with that. But I still think averaging over 15,000 paid attendance would help with the perception of being a good hockey town.

Cheers.

I'll agree with that. But I still think averaging over 15,000 paid attendance would help with the perception of being a good hockey town.

Cheers.

I don't disagree. The city can't just rally this year and say they've won. This is only step one. Win here, then you have to move on to step two. If not, the war is lost.

David

yes!!

zata40, your avatar rocks! :cool: The hat is cool 'nuff, that tops it.

Either way, it looks like the Preds will be around for a few more years...........unfortunately with a team next year that won't be as strong as the 06/07 squad.

That's the roughest thing out of it. San Jose is the next best competitor for Detroit in the west... then Van.. and that's it.

The Preds were looking fine, til they blew it up.

Guest DetroitIan

Hate to break this to ya bro. But even though they arent moving to Canada anymore. They are STILL moving. Except now, to Kansas City. So either way, Nashville is done.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212106&hubname=nhl