• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NC WINGS FAN

Why Is Everyone Comiing Down So Hard On The Leafs?

Rate this topic

One of the big reason is Toronto is Canada's biggest media market, they are New York of Canada . Most of the hockey publications are either based there or have a significant presence. TSN is also based there, so the Leafs get a lot of coverage good and bad. Since the Harold Ballard days this team has been the soap-opera of the NHL and make for good articles. Around the league (and most of Canada) the Leafs are hated basically because of the money they can generate, a strong loyal fan base that in their minds the NHL begins and ends with the Leafs. So the Leafs are either extremely loved or extremely hated, no in between for this team.

Actually the Leafs/their fans aren't hated because they support their team.

Reason #1 - their arrogance - hilarious considering they haven't won anything in 40 years counting and barely came close once against LA. Aww let's see, Gilmour's cut by Gretzky, it should've been a penalty, which in turn the Leafs would've made LA pay for on the PP, then they would've went on to win that series, then moved on to the Finals, to then SWEEP Montreal and win the Cup. Remind them of anything, let's say, "hey, what about Patrick Roy's amazing OT win streak those playoffs?" and all you'll hear is, "no way, against us, the Habs would've been smoked!".

#2 - their lack of hockey knowledge. You ever try talking hockey with a Leaf fan? Try talking the merits of players on their own team. Trades. Rules. The AHL. Hockey.

You ever hear Leaf fans try and justify paying McCabe that truckload of cash? They'll tell you he's a Top 5 defensemen. :zzz::zzz:

The Leafs fans I know are prolly among the more knowledgeable and nice fans I know. And Swedish fans have had somebody to like in the Leafs uniform a long time - first with Salming and now Sundin. Only the management has been bad but even then they haven't been THAT bad. If the Leafs weren't the Leafs no-one would care that much. Original Six stamp doesn't mean s*** anymore - just look at the Blackhawks.

Oh and I'll emphasize this - with the possible exception of Lidström no other Swedish player has the class of Sundin and if anyone tries to give him any crap then :angry:

And to be honest I'd love to see the Leafs win the Cup. Not for the fans who I DON'T GIVE A s*** ABOUT. I just want to see Sundin's face. Priceless.

Edited by SweWings

The Leafs fans I know are prolly among the more knowledgeable and nice fans I know. And Swedish fans have had somebody to like in the Leafs uniform a long time - first with Salming and now Sundin. Only the management has been bad but even then they haven't been THAT bad. If the Leafs weren't the Leafs no-one would care that much. Original Six stamp doesn't mean s*** anymore - just look at the Blackhawks.

Oh and I'll emphasize this - with the possible exception of Lidström no other Swedish player has the class of Sundin and if anyone tries to give him any crap then :angry:

And to be honest I'd love to see the Leafs win the Cup. Not for the fans who I DON'T GIVE A s*** ABOUT. I just want to see Sundin's face. Priceless.

Sundin might be the only guy I like on that team. I give him a lot of respect for staying with a team that is commmitted to never winning a freakin' thing.

Guest jaytan

Let everyone decide for themselves what is or isn't necessary; if I or anyone else has a 2nd favorite team - well then that's our choice now isn't it?

Canada is a great place to visit, but honestly I wouldn't want to live there.

I'd say the same about Wisconsin.... Except for the "great place to visit" part. :P

I can't like the leafs my older brother does. Believe me its a war fest when it comes to Hockey between us. Luckily Leafs aren't able to make the playoffs so he can't really down the wings too much.

I have to admit, I was actually cheering for the Leafs to make the Finals in '02 (when Carolina inched past them).... Just so we could rub it in their faces after the Wings' inevitable destruction of them in four games.

I was rooting for the Leafs hardcore in 02 just because I wanted to see a Redwings Maple Leafs final. It would have been nice to see a final between two hockey hotbeds and original six teams to boot. It would have been absolutely crazy! Plus it would have been a break from all of these sunbelt teams no one ( even at home ) cares about. Think about it, there has not been a Stanley Cup final between two real hockey cities since 1997 between the Redwings and the Flyers. ahh what a great year that was. Remember Konstantinov knocking then media darling Lindros on his ass and then giving him this look that said.. and stay down there!! :D .... and my then 42 year old dad laying on the floor screaming like a kid as the Wings finally lifted a monkey off their back that had been sitting there for 42 years. oops sorry got off subject reminiscing.

Let everyone decide for themselves what is or isn't necessary; if I or anyone else has a 2nd favorite team - well then that's our choice now isn't it?

Canada is a great place to visit, but honestly I wouldn't want to live there.

You really need to stop attacking everything I say. You and anyone else you has a "second favourite team" has some questionable attributes. Not only is it wrong to be a die hard fan of one team and have "soft spots" for other teams but another original six team? Come on. Supporting past rivals is just dumb. Canada is a great country yes, do not make stupid statements as to how you dont think it is a good place to live, I do not value what you think of my country. I think you are missing my point along with Hank's, the reason we have a deep seated hatred for the Leafs is becauce of their ignorant fan base who think the Leafs are the only team out there. The same fans who think they are the best team in hockey even though they suck and cannot even make the playoffs. I do not know where Hank lives but you, you cannot understand what I am saying unless you live in Ontario because you are not surrounded by dumbass Leaf fans in Wisconsin. Some Leaf fans have sense, but I am certain 98% are ******* morons.

Actually the Leafs/their fans aren't hated because they support their team.

Reason #1 - their arrogance - hilarious considering they haven't won anything in 40 years counting and barely came close once against LA. Aww let's see, Gilmour's cut by Gretzky, it should've been a penalty, which in turn the Leafs would've made LA pay for on the PP, then they would've went on to win that series, then moved on to the Finals, to then SWEEP Montreal and win the Cup. Remind them of anything, let's say, "hey, what about Patrick Roy's amazing OT win streak those playoffs?" and all you'll hear is, "no way, against us, the Habs would've been smoked!".

#2 - their lack of hockey knowledge. You ever try talking hockey with a Leaf fan? Try talking the merits of players on their own team. Trades. Rules. The AHL. Hockey.

You ever hear Leaf fans try and justify paying McCabe that truckload of cash? They'll tell you he's a Top 5 defensemen. :zzz::zzz:

:clap::clap: QFT!

I am going to engrave everything you said into a wall at the ACC.

These are the same fans who think that it was a conspiracy that they did not make the playoffs this past season. It was everyone's fault but that of the actual Maple Leafs. Leaf fans only see ways to make the Leafs look good, so yeah they were robbed this season, them losing to the Islanders in the last week of the season had absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

Edited by superstarsingh

It is because Leaf fan's are all babies. They talk so much crap and do not have anything to back it up with. Also they love the Bandwagon. When the Leafs play well they are the best team in the NHL but if they loose everyone wants to bury them.

It is because Leaf fan's are all babies. They talk so much crap and do not have anything to back it up with. Also they love the Bandwagon. When the Leafs play well they are the best team in the NHL but if they loose everyone wants to bury them.

Such accuracy. Well said.

Then stop telling us how to live, & whom we should/shouldn't be fans of.

If you look over my post again you'll see that I made no comment pertaining to the fact that Canada is "not a good place to live", but rather I personally wouldn't want to live there - can you comprehend the difference?

As for stupid comments made here - you sir are the "pot calling the kettle black " :rolleyes:

Honestly, I would not like to live there. Keep that to yourself because it comes across as offensive whether you menat to be or not. As you know, I do and say as I please so I still feel a need to say WHY THE HELL DO YOU EVEN LIKE A TEAM THAT IS NOT THE DETROIT RED WINGS? You cannot understand my hatred for the Leafs because again, as I said you do not live in the so called Leaf Nation. If you were surrounded with people who thought that the Leafs were the only team in the league it would piss you off. If you were surrounded by people who constantly speak of how great the Leafs are even when they have not won anything, it would piss you off. It seems as if I think the Red Wings are the only team in my world, but it is quite contrary. They are the only team I have ever and will ever cheer for. I hate all 29 other teams. But I acknowledge their existence and I can admit to a team being better than the Red Wings. A stupid Leaf fan thinks the Leafs are God's gift to hockey and will tell you that they are better than the Ducks. A Leaf fan will always try and rationalize why the Leafs have not done well by looking for ways to mask Toronto's failures (ex. they were screwed by the Devils this year so they didnt make the playoffs.) It is your choice, it is not as if what I am saying is going to make you chnage your views of the Leafs and it should not. We all have our opinions. The fact that I say that supporting second teams is unecessary does not mean that you have to listen to me, I know you are not. But do not come and start off on me and tell me what I shoudl and should not be saying in my posts, I do not care. However, you are probably going to start to have soft spots for the Avs soon, they can be your third team since you enjoy supporting past rival teams.

Here is what you failed to respond to from my last post (the actual content) not our stupid little argument:

I think you are missing my point along with Hank's, the reason we have a deep seated hatred for the Leafs is becauce of their ignorant fan base who think the Leafs are the only team out there. The same fans who think they are the best team in hockey even though they suck and cannot even make the playoffs. I do not know where Hank lives but you, you cannot understand what I am saying unless you live in Ontario because you are not surrounded by dumbass Leaf fans in Wisconsin. Some Leaf fans have sense, but I am certain 98% are ******* morons.

superstarsingh - I understood from the get go your position, & your disdain for everything relating to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The area in bold more or less includes the fans - hence the term "everything relating to".

Yes, yes. Understand this; it is not the TEAM. It is the FANS. I have no problem with the TEAM until the FANS come into the picture. If not for the fans, I do not hate the Leafs. But the fans exist and because of them, every non Leaf fan in the city of Toronto HATES the Leafs.

Because is you're a Wings fan you have to hate the Leafs.

Actually, unless you're a Leafs fan, you have to hate the Leafs. It's like the Yankees of baseball only the Leafs don't win anything.

Also, the Leaf organization, their players and especially their fans are some of the most arrogant and self rightous fans on the planet. They will constantly tell you that they live in Hockey Universe and any change made to the league should be for the benefit of the Leafs. Look at the last lockout. The fans and even the organization was dead set against a Cap even though it helped make the league better. Why? Because they know that their only chance of winning anything comes from their deep pockets.

And who can like any group of fans that in all seriousness try to organize parades for ONE playoff round victory. And that is no lie. There were serious discussions about a Leaf parade when they beat the Islanders in round 1 of the '04 playoffs.

Discussions of a parade after one playoff round? Reminds me of the movie Billy Madison :lol: .

Guest jaytan

Yes, yes. Understand this; it is not the TEAM. It is the FANS. I have no problem with the TEAM until the FANS come into the picture. If not for the fans, I do not hate the Leafs. But the fans exist and because of them, every non Leaf fan in the city of Toronto HATES the Leafs.

Well, to some extent, every Canadian city outside of Toronto hates the city of Toronto.

:) I love the leafs, there my second favorite team.

I would love to see them win the cup too, its a lot better than it going to California.

the more cups among the original six the better.

Red Wing fans don't have second favorite teams :nonono:

Edited by Superman54

I do a lot of business in Toronto and the fans are not half as obnoxious as some of you guys are saying. Most of the Leafs fans are pretty decent. Now granted the ones that only see through Leaf colored blue glasses are way over the top in their opinions. But you can say that about some Wings fans too. A lot of the ones I talk to appreciate the game of hockey and have a great passion for the game. On a funny note some of you will love, there is a Canadian documentary out now how a lot of cities around Canada dislike Toronto as much as any of you. In fact you could say it borders on hatred.

Edited by Doctor G

Guest jaytan

The only time I can justify having a "second-favorite team" in the same league is if you grow up with one team, then you move somewhere else and they get a franchise (or something like that). Or if, say, you're from Hamilton and you've been a Leafs fan your whole life, then the Predators move to town. Why wouldn't you go to the games and cheer for your hometown? At the same time, though, you definitely have to know which team you prefer over the other.

When I was a young hockey lad growing up, my favourite teams were the Wings, Penguins and Canucks ;) I still have my old Sundstrom bright yellow Canucks home jersey... BUT, I have since weeded out the extra "baggage" and the Wings are the one and only and have been for many years! With that said, Leaf fans SUCK.. I'm so sick of those bastards it's not even funny, especially "friends" who bleed blue and white and who constantly remind you whenever the Wings lose or are about to lose. Back to the punching bag...

The only time I can justify having a "second-favorite team" in the same league is if you grow up with one team, then you move somewhere else and they get a franchise (or something like that). Or if, say, you're from Hamilton and you've been a Leafs fan your whole life, then the Predators move to town. Why wouldn't you go to the games and cheer for your hometown? At the same time, though, you definitely have to know which team you prefer over the other.

I grew up with leafs fans, is that OK? When we would play hockey i was the red wings and they were the leafs. and over time i grew a liking to the leafs and they grew a liking to the wings. And it helped that we both hated the avs :)

And there is no way in hell I would ever prefer the leafs over the wings. The wings are my team, but a can also "like" another.

gezz everyone's throwing such a big fit over this. everyone has another team they would like to see win against another. If you turn on the TV and see two teams playing and neither is the wings most people will generally cheer for and pick a team out of the two that they want to win. you don't have to be "supporting" them but you still would like to see them come out with a win.

gezz everyone's throwing such a big fit over this.

:lol: Well it's cool if your friends are Leaf fans but nothing like the type we've mentioned in this thread. But for me, i've never met many Leaf fans who could talk hockey, when it has nothing to do with, let's say, who John

Ferguson just overpayed for. That's all.

When I was old enough to pronounce the words 'Steve Yzerman', I was a Red Wings fan. And somewhere right after that, my dislike of the Leafs began. Through 3 Cups, numerous awards and such lofty heights our Red Wings have taken me [while the Leafs have gone NOWEHERE, yet I hear their fans talk smack], my dislike became the hatred it is today. :D But just like there are probably a few good Republicans "somewhere" in the world, I guess I can agree that there's probably a few alright Leaf fans somewhere in the world too - somewhere. :P

:lol: Well it's cool if your friends are Leaf fans but nothing like the type we've mentioned in this thread. But for me, i've never met many Leaf fans who could talk hockey, when it has nothing to do with, let's say, who John

Ferguson just overpayed for. That's all.

When I was old enough to pronounce the words 'Steve Yzerman', I was a Red Wings fan. And somewhere right after that, my dislike of the Leafs began. Through 3 Cups, numerous awards and such lofty heights our Red Wings have taken me [while the Leafs have gone NOWEHERE, yet I hear their fans talk smack], my dislike became the hatred it is today. :D But just like there are probably a few good Republicans "somewhere" in the world, I guess I can agree that there's probably a few alright Leaf fans somewhere in the world too - somewhere. :P

Yeah, the cemetery. Hahahaha!

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I just want to say that I'm a HUGE Leafs fan. :D

With that being said, I just wanted to clear out a few misconceptions that are in this thread.

- First off, when it comes to calling most Leafs fans ignorant and blindly cheering for the Leafs is largely incorrect. I don't disagree that many Leafs fans out there are ignorant, but I really believe that the majority of them are actually knowledgable hockey fans. I mean they may not know everything there is to know about hockey or the team they're cheering for, but most fans know enough that the Leafs haven't been that good for a long time.

When you watch TV and see thousands of Leafs fans celebrating after a playoff series win and chanting 'We're #1 baby!' and 'The Leafs are going to win the cup this year!! This year is the year!' etc etc etc. Its not because they're necessarily stupid fools. But really what else do you expect fans to say after winning a series and are in the heat of the moment? 'Our team is going against the Sens next series and I have no faith that they're going to beat them'? Of course they're going to say the Leafs are going to the SCFs. They did that in Edmonton last year and they did that in Calgary the year before that.

- There are tonnes of Leafs fans who are VERY knowledgable in hockey and the Leafs. Just look at HFboards and other Leafs forums and you'll see that many Leafs fans are very dissatisfied with the Leafs and how they're run by management. Myself, even though I love the Leafs, I'm probably one of the harshest critics of them and am an eternal pessimest.

- I don't know where some of you guys live that have Leafs fans that believe they have a team that are true cup contenders, but pretty much everyone I've talked to here in Toronto and have seen on TV and on the internet have never said that the Leafs have a real chance at making the Cup finals. Most fans are just hoping they make it into the playoffs most years.

Also with regards to why the Leafs are so hated, here's the main reasons why:

- As pointed out, alot of people believe almost every Leafs fan is blind and ignorant when it comes to cheering for the Leafs. Even though this isn't true, because the Leafs have such a huge fanbase in Canada and even decently in the US (many transplanted Canadians and some Americans) and around the world, there are bound to be a decent number that are indeed ignorant. I mean 1% of stupid fans from tens of millions of Leafs fans is bound to be more than 1% of say a couple million Sens fans right?

- Leafs fans are passionate to a fault for the Leafs and support them no matter how bad they're doing. Yeah that's kinda dumb in some ways, but Leafs fans simply LOVE their Leafs and I don't know why people don't rag on Cubs fans for supporting a team that hasn't a World Series Championship in like a thousand years?

- There is a ton of jealously among fans of other Canadian teams that despite the continued losing, the Leafs still get top billing in Canada and get the most TV and media coverage. I mean I can't remember how many times I've seen a Sens/Habs/Canucks/Oiler/Flames fan complain about the Leafs being on TV and talked about constantly. 'Why is CBC showing the f**king Leafs when they always suck? Why not show a rising team like the Sens or have more coverage for western teams?' etc etc etc.

Heck living in Toronto, I've even seen alot of Toronto Raptor fans hating the Leafs with a passion because the Leafs are always on TV while the Raptors can barely get a 5 minute segment on Sportscentre everynight. And usually that's buried about 10-15 minutes into the show. By Raps fans logic, the worse the Leafs do, the more exposure their basketball team will get and hopefully the larger the fanbase they will eventually build - hopefully at the expense of the Leafs fanbase. But of course that's just wishful thinking.

- Most of Canada hates Ontario and specifically seriously hates Toronto and Torontonians, because they believe they're the centre of the universe (Which of course we are :P ). So by extension, the Leafs being the team from Toronto, they in turn hate them too. If it was the Toronto Flames, Toronto Oilers etc, they would be the most hate team in Canada. But since its the Leafs and they're in Toronto, then let's all hate the Leafs they say, because Toronto sucks, therefore the Leafs suckass by default.

- Lastly, alot of hockey fans in Canada are sick of being surrounded by Leafs fans everywhere. They must feel like its the Alamo for them alot of the time. No matter where you go, whatever arena you go to, there is an infestation of Leafs fans that you can't erraticate. It must suck to be a Sens fan playing at home only to hear a quarter of the crowd yelling 'Alfie SUCKS!' and booing him everytime he touches the puck. I'm sure every team would kill to have fans as loyal and passionate and as plentiful as Leafs fans are. But since most Canadian teams don't have this, they choose to bash instead. Oh well.

So yeah, in many ways the Leafs are like the Yankees......except without the winning. But hopefully things will turn around this year. :)

PS: Love this forum, even though I don't really like the Deadthangs :P Also, even though the Leafs have won jacksquat, I'll always have the memories of 'He shooots, he SCORREEEESSS!!! NIKOLAI BORCHEVSKY!!!!!!' :D