• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Superman54

Bigger Nets?

Rate this topic

I heard TSN just talking about it and I wanna know what you guys think of it. I personally hope they do not do it. Its really gonna change Hockey and I think their is enough scoring already. It won't feel like true hockey anymore.

Leave the nets alone... get rid of the instigator rule.

I agree. There are much better changes that could be made to make the NHL product more attractive. Plus, bigger nets would really give it a soccer-on-ice feeling.

How about we get rid of the instigator rule AND make the nets bigger.

From what I read on FoxSports.com recently, the nets would be expanded 8 inches wider, and 6 inches higher. Might be the other way around, but regardless, do you realize how small of an increase that is, especially to fans attending the games live, espeically those who might be sitting in an upper deck. It would be barely noticeable.

It is going to have little/no effect on the game watching, but the players will have a little more room for slappers/deflections, and goalies will have to move even more laterally/side-to-side than before to make saves.

Expanding the net size by a small amount would make the game more exciting, and while it wouldn't guarantee an increase in scoring, I think it'll definitely improve the odds.

I'd give bigger nets a chance.

during the NHL awards the announcer said that the NHL said no to it for bigger nets next year, but it's not our of there minds. they also said they might be trying it our in some minor league to see what happens.

my thoughts, NO to bigger nets!!

From what I read on FoxSports.com recently, the nets would be expanded 8 inches wider, and 6 inches higher. Might be the other way around, but regardless, do you realize how small of an increase that is, especially to fans attending the games live, espeically those who might be sitting in an upper deck. It would be barely noticeable.

It is going to have little/no effect on the game watching, but the players will have a little more room for slappers/deflections, and goalies will have to move even more laterally/side-to-side than before to make saves.

Expanding the net size by a small amount would make the game more exciting, and while it wouldn't guarantee an increase in scoring, I think it'll definitely improve the odds.

And Dom would tear his groin to shreads doing it

No, hockey has always been a low scoring game for the most part, and the nets havve been about this size for how long now? If you don't have the talent to score on a net this size you don't deserve to score. What should be changed is the size of the goalie pads. They used to play with no helmets or face masks, and what goalie holds the record for most shutouts ever? It's Sawchuk, granted it was a different time and all but he played standup without a mask for a long time in his career. Eventually he did get one and was greatful that he did, but his pads were also nowhere near the size that they are today, and he played standup not butterfly. The nets are fine. It is the pads that are too big.

And if you want to argue that the pads are for protection when they get plowed into, then get rid of the instagator rule and let the guys out there defend the goalies seeing as how the refs can't seem to.

No, hockey has always been a low scoring game for the most part, and the nets havve been about this size for how long now? If you don't have the talent to score on a net this size you don't deserve to score. What should be changed is the size of the goalie pads. They used to play with no helmets or face masks, and what goalie holds the record for most shutouts ever? It's Sawchuk, granted it was a different time and all but he played standup without a mask for a long time in his career. Eventually he did get one and was greatful that he did, but his pads were also nowhere near the size that they are today, and he played standup not butterfly. The nets are fine. It is the pads that are too big.

And if you want to argue that the pads are for protection when they get plowed into, then get rid of the instagator rule and let the guys out there defend the goalies seeing as how the refs can't seem to.

I agree with you, Nets are fine its the equipment thats the problem. Not blaming the goalies or anything because they do need to protect themselves. I mean in these days some players can rip those shots. But it is the oversized equipment that gets in the way. Man Terry Sawchuk is an inspiration, Playing with that small equipment and still recording record shutouts shows you don't need to look like Jiggy to be good :D

Guest Crymson

I heard TSN just talking about it and I wanna know what you guys think of it. I personally hope they do not do it. Its really gonna change Hockey and I think their is enough scoring already. It won't feel like true hockey anymore.

I stand by my earlier statement: some disgruntled Canadian hockey fan will assassinate Bettman if good ol' Gary pushes this one through.

Yahoo! held a poll on the subject a few months ago; I believe it was four-five thousand yays versus twenty thousand nays.

hockey nets have been 4x6 for like 100 years now. If the NHL decides to change that, even by 1 inch, they might as well take the entire history of the game and light it on fire. I don't see them ever doing something that drastic, hardcore fans wouldn't stand for it.

Guest Crymson

And say goodbye to the cliffhangers? No freaking way. Bigger nets= way too many goals. The fans might not be able to clearly see that the nets are bigger, but they'll for damn sure see the double-digit scores on the jumbotron.

Edited by Crymson

And Dom would tear his groin to shreads doing it

And you know this how?

And say goodbye to the cliffhangers? No freaking way. Bigger nets= way too many goals. The fans might not be able to clearly see that the nets are bigger, but they'll for damn sure see the double-digit scores on the jumbotron.

And I thought the majority of fans wanted more goals, the NHL wanted to increase more scoring? This is a way to do that, and it's not an idea out of the upper deck or left field.

If the goalies don't have thier upperbody protection reduced in size, then nets should be made bigger.

What doesn't feel like hockey is the fact that there are far less scoring zones and cubic space to score goals than when the greats of the 60', 70's 80's and early 90's had.

Playoff scoring was down an entire goal compared to the regular season. That's pathetic. People want to see goals. That's entertaining. And please, nobody tell me 'scoring chances' are just as exciting. Sure they are. Just like having a scoring chance with Scarlett Johansson is just as exciting as actually scoring with her.

XM204 interviewed Brandon Bell two days ago and they asked him about it. He agreed that if the goalies don't get smaller they should increase the size of the net. I've heard other players say the same thing. The only people that don't want it are goalies and 'traditionalists'. But traditionlists forget that technology in the form of GIANT and much lighter goalie equipment, better defensive systems, and the mindset that backchecking is worth 3 times as much as forechecking have suffocated what hockey was like for nearly 100 years.

When aggressive cycling becomes the main reason for fans to get excited you know a change is needed. 90% of the goals scored in the NHL are from screens, deflections or rebounds. Gone are the nice 15-20 foot, top-shelf wristers. Gone are the 40 foot slapshots from the wing. The only way you get them back is by giving the players more cubic space to score them.

Having more room to score goals would actually bring the game back to what it once was.

Myself, I would much rather see goalie equipment shrunk down before they enlarged the nets. But as long as the league has idiots like Giguere screaming "Unsafe work environment! I need to protect my shoulders that appear to go up to the top of my ear!", you'll never get it to happen.

Edited by Hank

If they did change the size of the nets, and somebody beat Gretzky's goal record the first season, ther would be a big arguement whether he deserved the record. The nets don't need to be changed, the pads could be smaller.

Gary Bettman is again trying to appeal to the basketball and baseball fans, where scoring points is at a premium. Gary can't sell the game for what it is, so he's trying to entice them with high scoring.

Goalie equipment should be reduced drastically. We have the technology to make pads of comparable size to what was worn decades ago and be far more protective without basically cheating.

There is no need to increase the net size. Now or ever. If guys like Giguere feel the need to wear ridiculously oversized pads to feel safe in net, they shouldn't be in the NHL.

Goalie equipment should be reduced drastically. We have the technology to make pads of comparable size to what was worn decades ago and be far more protective without basically cheating.

There is no need to increase the net size. Now or ever. If guys like Giguere feel the need to wear ridiculously oversized pads to feel safe in net, they shouldn't be in the NHL.

I couldn't agree more. But it seems like the NHL is impotent when it comes to regulating it.

I just don't understand how a cop can wear a vest under a T-shirt that stops bullets or Lidstrom can wear a skate boot that makes taking slapshots a breeze, and yet we can't make a chest and arm protection in reasonable sizes.

I spoke with a friend of mine who's in the goalie manufacturing business and this is what he said. He told me that it's very possible to make streamlined equipment. It would be more expensive, but I'm sure NHL teams could cover it. The problem, however, lies in the fact that if his company ever created equipment that was twice as small and twice as affective, NHL goalies (or Pro goalies for that matter) would silently boycott his company. Why? Because goalies like Giguere would be exposed as the joke they are, and it would cost them, not only millions, but an NHL job as well.

It's up the NHL to go to a manufacturer and pay them to make a prototype. And if it's successful, force them on the current NHL goalies.

Nothing would make me happier than watching Giggy try to make saves with practical equipment. He'd be in the ECHL before Thanksgiving.

It's rediculous that in a day and age where everything's being streamlined, goalie equipment continues to expand.

Edited by Hank

I couldn't agree more. But it seems like the NHL is impotent when it comes to regulating it.

I just don't understand how a cop can wear a vest under a T-shirt that stops bullets or Lidstrom can wear a skate boot that makes taking slapshots a breeze, and yet we can't make a chest and arm protection in reasonable sizes.

I spoke with a friend of mine who's in the goalie manufacturing business and this is what he said. He told me that it's very possible to make streamlined equipment. It would be more expensive, but I'm sure NHL teams could cover it. The problem, however, lies in the fact that if his company ever created equipment that was twice as small and twice as affective, NHL goalies (or Pro goalies for that matter) would silently boycott his company. Why? Because goalies like Giguere would be exposed as the joke they are, and it would cost them, not only millions, but an NHL job as well.

It's up the NHL to go to a manufacturer and pay them to make a prototype. And if it's successful, force them on the current NHL goalies.

Nothing would make me happier than watching Giggy try to make saves with practical equipment. He'd be in the ECHL before Thanksgiving.

It's rediculous that in a day and age where everything's being streamlined, goalie equipment continues to expand.

If you look around at goalie equipment stores and online, you'll see a lot of phrases like "oversized" and "extra wide" in the description. The equipment companies are following the lead of what most goalies want - the biggest legal equipment they can get away with.

stopping a bullet and stopping a puck are two different purposes, but I do agree that the technology exists to protect a goalie with equipment that is much closer in size to the older style.

And attempts to justify the larger pads with how much harder shots are today is a load of crap.

Al Iafrate, Al MacInnis, and several other players had cannons of shots, and I don't seem to remember them killing anybody. Actually the only injuries I can think of from their shots involve equipment like masks and skates, and in one case a catching glove.

Those tiny 1980s style chest protectors somehow managed to keep goalies from dying as a result of a MacInnis slapshot, and the technology has gotten so much better.

The bottom line is they can make chest and arm protection smaller and still keep goalies safe.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest nutz2u

Maybe if they make the nets 2feet wider then Matty can hit the net and score more than 3pp goals in a season and be worth the 5M. Never mind, high and wide would still miss high. I didn't think he was worth what he made last year so I hope some idiot offers him 6M and he goes away. :flush: