• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

2007-08 Salary Cap set: $50.3-million

Rate this topic

according to redwings central we got 32.525.499 cap committed

add 1.2 to pay off the bonus's and 1.5 for breathing room that brings up the total to 35.225.499

we got 14.576 cap space left to use

that number doesnt include hudler , or quincey/meech if they play here , so let the crazy scenario's begin ! lol

if hudler comes back for 700k lets say and one of quincey or meech for 500k then that leaves us with 13.376 million to spend, or trade lilja and add quincey and save an extra 500k

Edited by kindlwillbegreat

we already have a smyth....his name is holmstrom.

we need a scorer.....

drury....eh.

kozlov....eh.

blake.....yes!

briere....f@*k yes!

come on.....think.

i dont believe that smyth is all that, considering the attention and money he is going to be getting.

now if ovekchin/malkin/crosby were for sale.....i could understand the commotion.

you would be calling the player to ask if he takes visa...or mastercard.

I think the days of the Wings nabbing big name free agents is for the most part gone. I'd be surprised if we signed Smyth and wonder if he'd be worth the cap space.

I do think we can at least hopefully keep a few UFA's of ours now that the cap is set.

Hasek for sure, probably Bert and maybe Schneider.

And while we hopefully won't overpay for the top guys, I do think Holland will fill the holes with solid players.

we need a scorer.....

drury....eh.

kozlov....eh.

blake.....yes!

briere....f@*k yes!

come on.....think.

i dont believe that smyth is all that, considering the attention and money he is going to be getting.

now if ovekchin/malkin/crosby were for sale.....i could understand the commotion.

briere is gonna get 7 mill ........no thanks

blake .....no thanks

We have the anti-Leafs Syndrome. Instead of starting rumors about every player coming to our team, we shoot them down and then act all depressed that we'll never experience 2002 over again.

I don't expect it anymore and if anyone around here seriously does then they need to wake up. If you want to wish wish all you want but don't think that all these big names will come here. It was fun from summers 01-03 when we knew the Wings were going to grab a big name. Actually it would only have been 02 and 03 when we expected it because I know I sure didn't see Dom, Luc and Hull all coming here in the summer of 01. Anyways, like I said I would rather see the 6mil that would be spent on Smyth go towards other guys. And two years from now a big contract like that could really hinder the team from trying to stay competitive. The Thornton and Nikolai Khabibulin rumors were really dumb because they were both from the summer of 05 and the Wings didn't have money for either one of those guys and people still thought it would somehow happen.

Can't wait till Sunday though and see the madness league-wide unfold.

we need a scorer.....

Smyth's scored 36 goals the past two years. A goal is a goal. Plus, he brings even more of the never-die attitude that the team showed in the playoffs. He's physical and he's a great, vocal leader. Any team could use him.

Pierre McGwire told WGR here in Buffalo that he saw Detroit as the place Smyth would go most likely.

I don't see how people can really have any idea right now. Other than saying he has heard that X team is interested in him thats really all. No one knows what team is going to be offering what kind of money. I would expect Holland to make a call and see what the price is but I don't know if it would go past that. I could be wrong though.

Pierre McGwire told WGR here in Buffalo that he saw Detroit as the place Smyth would go most likely.

smyth wants 6.5 per i heard for at least 5 yrs , he wants to come here hes gonna have to take 5.5 per , only way i see him coming here , adding him here would really complicate things when zetterberg gets his raise , and other guys like franzen ,cleary.filppula.lebda will get theres as well ........

.as much as i like smyth i think we might regret it in a few years unless we use him for 2 years and then throw him away like some ***** and ship him off to another team LOL , which i wouldnt be totally against doing lol

just saw on hockeybuzz that the islanders offered him 6.5 per year for 6 years .......i know eklund is full of crap but we all know the islanders are nuts lmao .......only way id go for smyth is with a no trade clause , use him for 2 yrs then ship him off for some nice returns

I agree. I think they could use that money to put a better team out there then going out and getting Smyth. I remember those rumors too. They were all stupid.

Then there were also the rumors about Lang coming to Detroit at the deadline, Hasek making a comeback to Detroit, etc. Don't forget that Holland and co. have been looking at Smyth since before the trade deadline. When they like the guy, they like him. Also dont forget that Holland offered Patrick Elias a 5M+ contract when he was a big name free agent.

At this point in his career, I think Smyth is looking at going to a winner rather than going after the fattest contract possible. Why else would he turn down a 7-8 year contract that would see him earning 6M+ per season from the Isles? There isnt any other team thats going to offer him that much money over that length of time.

We all know Kenny wont sacrifice the future by signing Ryan Smyth. Im sure hes got a few cap advisors that have a good idea of whether or not the cap will go up next year again or not, and if Smyth is serious about going to an immediate contender, then Detroit is one of his best choices. Should Selanne retire, then I think Smyth goes to Anaheim. Otherwise, Anaheim cant afford it. There are a few other teams who also seem to be seriously interested in Smyth (Colorado, Toronto, and Calgary), but Calgary would have to trade to make room for Smyth, and Toronto and Colorado arent exactly guaranteed cup contenders at this point, although things are looking up for Toronto.

I dont want to see Smyth here for an annual cap hit of 6M, but with a front-loaded contract, it could be done. Something like 22M over 4 years. Award him for a big season last year that, without injuries, couldve seen him become a 50 goal scorer, and take it down every year given his age. 6.25, 5.75,5.25,4.75.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Then there were also the rumors about Lang coming to Detroit at the deadline, Hasek making a comeback to Detroit, etc. Don't forget that Holland and co. have been looking at Smyth since before the trade deadline. When they like the guy, they like him. Also dont forget that Holland offered Patrick Elias a 5M+ contract when he was a big name free agent.

At this point in his career, I think Smyth is looking at going to a winner rather than going after the fattest contract possible. Why else would he turn down a 7-8 year contract that would see him earning 6M+ per season. There isnt any other team thats going to offer him that much money over that length of time.

We all know Kenny wont sacrifice the future by signing Ryan Smyth. Im sure hes got a few cap advisors that have a good idea of whether or not the cap will go up next year again or not, and if Smyth is serious about going to an immediate contender, then Detroit is one of his best choices. Should Selanne retire, then I think Smyth goes to Anaheim. Otherwise, Anaheim cant afford it. There are a few other teams who also seem to be seriously interested in Smyth (Colorado, Toronto, and Calgary), but Calgary would have to trade to make room for Smyth, and Toronto and Colorado arent exactly guaranteed cup contenders at this point, although things are looking up for Toronto.

I dont want to see Smyth here for an annual cap hit of 6M, but with a front-loaded contract, it could be done. Something like 22M over 4 years. Award him for a big season last year that, without injuries, couldve seen him become a 50 goal scorer, and take it down every year given his age. 6.25, 5.75,5.25,4.75.

your 5.5 per year sounds reasonable but like i said some sucker will pay him more such as the islanders , i wouldnt be against signing him for the big bucks with the intention of trading him after 2 seasons ( of course we dont tell him that lol)

Here's a question to everyone: We all now know about Holland's offer to Elias last summer. Management also knew they wanted to keep Datsyuk. If they were willing to sign Elias to a long term deal (and risk the future) then, why wouldn't they be willing to do the same with Smyth? Plus, there's a higher cap now.

Here's a question to everyone: We all now know about Holland's offer to Elias last summer. Management also knew they wanted to keep Datsyuk. If they were willing to sign Elias to a long term deal (and risk the future) then, why wouldn't they be willing to do the same with Smyth? Plus, there's a higher cap now.

im pretty sure back then they werent so convinced about datsyuk and his playoff capabilities and were planning to let him go at seasons end which is why they went for elias , thats my thought on that

saw this on spectors ...........

Updated: 4:15 pm AT

SMYTH TO TEST UFA MARKET.

AM 64O CFMJ: On the "Leafs Lunch" segment agent Don Meehan, who represents Ryan Smyth, stated his client would test the UFA market. TSN's Darren Dreger was also on the show and stated the same thing.

Spector's Note: Hat tip to Paul Kukla over at his Korner. I can't say I'm surprised by this development and I suspect most Islanders fans aren't either but this still comes as a blow to the Isles and their fans, who'd hoped to retain Smyth.

im pretty sure back then they werent so convinced about datsyuk and his playoff capabilities and were planning to let him go at seasons end which is why they went for elias , thats my thought on that

So why were they suddenly convinced of his abilities before the playoffs when he signed the extension? Datsyuk has always been in the team's long-term plans.

Edited by ARice89

I didn't say anything about those rumors though. I was talking about the Thornton and Khabibulin rumors. The Wings only had roughly 8 mil or so to spend when those rumors were going around and Datsyuk and Zetterberg weren't signed yet. The Lang one I believed could happen because there was talk of him in the summer of 02 when he signed with the Caps.

A front loaded contract really doesn't do much. It helps with your paying him because you pay him less as time goes on obviously but the cap # is the average of the contract. Thats the only thing I am worried about. In two years with the contract you came up with thats 6.7 for Dats, roughly the same for Hank and 5.5 for Smyth. 19 mil for 3 players? Now if Lidstrom retires in 2 years they can pull it off but who knows if that happens.

I didn't say anything about those rumors though. I was talking about the Thornton and Khabibulin rumors. The Wings only had roughly 8 mil or so to spend when those rumors were going around and Datsyuk and Zetterberg weren't signed yet. The Lang one I believed could happen because there was talk of him in the summer of 02 when he signed with the Caps.

The rumor was Datsyuk for Thornton, so it was at least plausible.

The rumor was Datsyuk for Thornton, so it was at least plausible.

Salaray wise it wasn't. Thornton ended up getting over 6 mil a year. Player for player I agree. And the Wings would have had to wait until the next year for Zetterberg.

Edited by StevieY9802

So why were they suddenly convinced of his abilities before the playoffs when he signed the extension? Datsyuk has always been in the team's long-term plans.

well if you remember they said stevie y was the big reason for the contract before , he was so convinced of datsyuk and his abilities he convinced the team to give him the deal , i guess they respect stevie y and listened to him .....not saying they wouldnt of offered him a contract but they might of waited till after the post season

I think that the only way Smyth ends up in Detroit is if it's the one place he is dead set on going to. There's no way in hell Holland will get into a bidding war for him. However, I can see that as being fairly plausible. We'll see

Smyth's scored 36 goals the past two years. A goal is a goal. Plus, he brings even more of the never-die attitude that the team showed in the playoffs. He's physical and he's a great, vocal leader. Any team could use him.

Exactly. Blakes a scorer because he got 41 , but Smyth isnt with 36?

Smyth is a complete player , he could get 40+ playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I think its very possible , when almost all the rumor sites , and most of the Wings bloggers and even most of the hockey analysts say its were he wants to go. Add that to we have enough room for him and he might take 5 or even 4.5 million to play here and its makes sense.

What a line Smyth-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi would make

we need a scorer.....

drury....eh.

kozlov....eh.

blake.....yes!

briere....f@*k yes!

come on.....think.

I'd like to know what kinda crack you're smokin, cuz it must be bad...

Drury is the best clutch scorer on the FA list, with Smyth not too far behind. Neither will put up 100 point seasons, but each will guarantee you 30+ regular season goals and 10 - 15 playoff goals (assuming they play a full 4 rounds), not to mention their knack for 3rd period goals. Both of these guys are consummate 2-way forwards, and are strong leaders in the mold of Steve Yzerman to boot.

Most of us would be in heaven if there was any way the Wings could squeeze either one of those two into the budget, but given the number of teams who have money to spend and feel they're this close to having a playoff team, it ain't happening. If there are any two guys out there worth overpaying, it's Smyth and Drury...

A few Hockey experts on the FAN590 in Toronto were saying they're expecting Smyth to sign with the Wings :thumbup:. If that's the case, we don't need to bring back Bertuzzi.

I'm ok with letting Schneider go. Maybe we can sign someone younger, a 2nd tier D, who won't command as big a salary.

If we picked up Smyth, we wouldn't need Bert as much, that's true. If it were Bert or Matty at that point though--I'd go with the Dman.

Besides, who would we pick up to adequately replace Schneider? But more to the point, who can -finish- and score for us? Is that Smyth? Could he pick up our offense?

Although I can vaguely hope, we won't get Smyth. If we do I'll be surprised - not shocked, but definitely surprised.

I disagree about Homer being the same though... they play hard in the crease, but Smyth's skating and puckhandling skills best our guy on that. Homer seriously can't skate. I love 'im, but he can't.