• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KrazyGangsta

Sheldon Souray?

Rate this topic

You know what i thought about ... I dont know if anyone heard the latest interview with Holland ... about how he wanted to sign bertuzzi ... etc... he mentionned that the main reason that we lost to the ducks was that our powerplay wasn't clicking ... we just couldn't put the final blow in the games ... yes I understand that schneider was out and he was a big help for us on the PP I do not disagree with that ... but alot of people on this forum want him back ...

Sure... his good, I wouldnt mind him being here great player but i was wondering ... instead of bring schneider back ... why not go after Souray, his a powerplay monster and his BIG, and I do think we could get Souray for cheaper then schneider

Re-signing Hasek, Bertuzzi, Markov

Signing Souray

Were getting better pretty much bigger, stronger

Any Thoughts???

You know what i thought about ... I dont know if anyone heard the latest interview with Holland ... about how he wanted to sign bertuzzi ... etc... he mentionned that the main reason that we lost to the ducks was that our powerplay wasn't clicking ... we just couldn't put the final blow in the games ... yes I understand that schneider was out and he was a big help for us on the PP I do not disagree with that ... but alot of people on this forum want him back ...

Sure... his good, I wouldnt mind him being here great player but i was wondering ... instead of bring schneider back ... why not go after Souray, his a powerplay monster and his BIG, and I do think we could get Souray for cheaper then schneider

Signing Souray

Any Thoughts???

He is going to cost too much, and he is worse in the defensive zone than Matty.

He is going to cost too much, and he is worse in the defensive zone than Matty.

Yeah, but he is 6'4", fights, plays nasty, and has a shot equal to Schenider's. They are pretty much the same player except one is bigger and meaner. With a better supporting cast Souray may step up like Schneider did when he first came here when we were all ready for him to be a Norris contender (then he got injured).

I give him a 20% chance of coming here. Not good, but not impossible either.

I wouldn't mind Souray.

He's not THAT weak in the defensive zone. He's no McCabe. He can get the job done and doesn't let people blow past him notoriously. He has a better, more accurate shot than Schneider, and plays with more of a physical game. If the options were Schneider at 5 million and Souray at maybe 5.5, I'd pick Souray.

Ya we would need to pay too much to get him. I also don't think he is the best defensive defensemen either. It would be smarter just to sign Schneider for less money who is also great on the power play and is better playing the defensive part. But thats just my beliefs...

Ya we would need to pay too much to get him. I also don't think he is the best defensive defensemen either. It would be smarter just to sign Schneider for less money who is also great on the power play and is better playing the defensive part. But if Sourary was only asking 1 million more then wings should really go for him considering he is a lot more of a physical player. lBut thats just my beliefs...

Yeah, but he is 6'4", fights, plays nasty, and has a shot equal to Schenider's. They are pretty much the same player except one is bigger and meaner. With a better supporting cast Souray may step up like Schneider did when he first came here when we were all ready for him to be a Norris contender (then he got injured).

I give him a 20% chance of coming here. Not good, but not impossible either.

It is all but impossible for the Wings to get Souray. He will get at least $5.5 somewhere. If the Wings can't afford to pay Matty that, how could they give it to Souray?

You are right, they are similar players, Souray is a tougher player, but Matty is better in his own zone and already a leader in the dressing room.

Souray has already turned down a $5 offer from the Habs. It's going to be intersting to see where he goes. If Neids retires from the Ducks, he could very well end up there as he has siad he would like to play closer to his kids. They live with his ex wife in Cali.

Souray has about a .20% chance of landing in Detroit.

lmao oh god no , i see him on a regular basis hes awful on defense hes only got a shot on the ppl , thats it and hes gonna cost alot and at least a 4 -5 year deal.............besides hes a real ***** and sleeps with all the 18 yr olds in mtl , you guys want him coming to detroit and stealing your women ? LOL

Guest Crymson

Signing Souray

Any Thoughts???

Souray is younger than Schneider and he was the best PP scoring defenseman this last season. He is also bigger, stronger, and more physical.

He will go for more than will Schneider. He very well may be the most expensive UFA defenseman on the market this summer.

On top of this, he is also a defensive liability in the extreme. I found this best said in a quote by a Habs fan which I read today: "keep Souray, just don't play him at 5 vs 5 or on the PK please!" In other words, the guy just can't play defense. He's highly useful if he's alone on the point, but if he's not the one with the puck then you'd better have somebody else on the ice who is assigned to support him.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Crymson

Well I will agree Souray has issues in his own end with the Habs, but like Schneider don't ya think he'd improve if he were to become a Red Wing?

I know this is a moot point since he's not coming here.

Becoming a Red Wing will not end Souray's 1 on 1 woes.

Pair him up with lids ... i want to see his +/- improve

IF Souray were to come to Detroit, he wouldn't be paired with Nick. Babs would insert him in Matty's spot, second unit.

However, in a situation where Souray and Nick were paired, I think moreso than Souray's +/- incease, you'd notice Nicks +/- decline.

Guest DetroitIan

If we can't retain Schneider, than Souray would be an excellent replacement. If I had to pick between the two, I would most definitely pick Mathieu. But if we unforunately lose him, I would love to see Sheldon in the winged wheel. I love watching that guy smash dudes left and right. And what a shot.

He won't come to Detroit, whoever signs him will proabably have offered him up to 6 Million +. Wings can't afford that...

Yup. Thats the catch-22 of it all. Sure I would love to have Souray if we cant afford Schneider. But if we cant afford Schneider, I would be shocked if we could afford Souray.

Guest Crymson

Probably right, but maybe Cheli could offer some advice :rolleyes:

I doubt that Souray has been waiting around for a mentor.

Guest Crymson

Well if we were fortunate enough to sign Souray - I'm sure Cheli would offer "advice" whether Souray liked it or not; I get the impression Cheli wouldn't tolerate defensive lapses that have become routine for Souray.

I can say with 100% certainty that 'tolerance' of his defensive lapses has not been an issue. I highly doubt Souray's constant muck-ups have been due to lack of 'tolerance' on the part of his coaches. He's just not a good defenseman.

If Cheli's lack of 'tolerance' were so magic, we wouldn't have had problems with Lang's laziness. Cheli would not have 'tolerated' it.

Edited by Crymson

I can say with 100% certainty that 'tolerance' of his defensive lapses has not been an issue. I highly doubt Souray's constant muck-ups have been due to lack of 'tolerance' on the part of his coaches. He's just not a good defenseman.

If Cheli's lack of 'tolerance' were so magic, we wouldn't have had problems with Lang's laziness. Cheli would not have 'tolerated' it.

:lol: Very clever.

Guest Shoreline

While I'd like to see Souray here, and he'd be right up there with Lids on the power play, defensively he's more of a liability than Lilja. I'm with whoever said the Wings would be better off with Hannan.

Guest Crymson

Lang was so lazy even Cheli couldn't pull his magic off on that one.

Getting back to topic; Souray would improve defensively overall - however like you stated earlier I would question his 1 on 1 coverage.

He wouldn't improve defensively.. he'd just have more people to cover his ass.

Guest Crymson

Realization: I am never going to get anybody i want on this team.

^^^ Works for me.

Guest DetroitIan

i honeslty think i would rather have souray than rafalski, thoughts??

Agreed. But Rafalski is a fantastic signing. However, the fact that Souray generates points AND can smash guys left and right, gives Souray the edge in my book. But its great to have Brian coming back to Michigan. Im quite pumped.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Sheldon Souray is the best minus defensemen ever :rolleyes: