• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kindlwillbegreat

philadelphia and oilers trade ....

Rate this topic

its reported pitkananen and geoff sanderson to edmm and lupul and smith to philly

philly gets the better deal if you ask me

i dunno thats a pretty fair deal i think, sanderson is underrated in my opinion

i dunno thats a pretty fair deal i think, sanderson is underrated in my opinion

sanderson is 35 and got 11 goals last season , hes done if you ask me pitkanen is good but philly got lupul who can and im sure will get 25-30 goals, oilers gave up on him too quickly and jason smith was the oilers captain and a physical d man

Edited by kindlwillbegreat

Philly is not going to be scary, they are going to be better.

They are just really flipping out alot of guys that should have been great for other guys that should be great. Will they is the question. Personally I think the Oilers win this one.

Except they didn't sign Smyth so they lose this by default.

Phily always finds a way to look far better in August then they look in December.

true true, on paper they look pretty damn good though, they have a whole new team.

sanderson is useless in this deal , sure pitkanen is good but lupul can get 30 + and smith gives a nice physical defensemen in the back, i like this trade for philly all the way .......... briere , lupul, upshall,carter,richards,knuble,gagne .......flyers are gonna be good

Oilers obtain Pitkanen and Sanderson

Staff Writer Edmonton Oilers.com

Jul 1, 2007, 6:53 PM EDT

The Edmonton Oilers have obtained defenceman Joni Pitkanen, winger Geoff Sanderson and a third round draft choice in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul.

Oilers General Manager Kevin Lowe says “We are pleased to have Joni and Geoff join the Oilers. Joni is a talented young defenceman with a proven track record. He possesses the offensive skills we have been seeking on the blueline and look forward to having him in the lineup. Geoff brings a long list of accomplishments to the Oilers, foremost is the experience and leadership he possesses as a veteran of the NHL.â€Â

“As happy as we are with the addition of Pitkanen and Sanderson, it is difficult to see Jason leave us,†continued Lowe. “Jason has been an exceptional leader and member of the Oilers and has served proudly as our team captain. He and Wendy have also served this community very well and their contributions to the City of Edmonton will have a lasting effect.â€Â

The first choice (fourth overall) of the Flyers in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, Pitkanen was one of the leaders among NHL defencemen in 2006-07. The 6’3â€Â, 210-pound native of Oulu, Finland scored 4-39-43 with 88 PIM in 77 games, establishing single-season career-highs in assists, games and penalty minutes. He was the third leading scorer on the Flyers roster and led Philadelphia in assists and power play assists (17).

Pitkanen has been ranked among the NHL’s top 25 defencemen in scoring in each of the last two seasons. His 43 points this past season ranked him 22nd, while his career-high 13-33-49 in 2005-06 placed him 19th. He was also among the2006-07 NHL blueline leaders in assists (16th) and ice time (20th with 24:32 minutes per-game). The 23-year-old defenceman has led the Flyers in ice time in each of the last two seasons.

He began his NHL career with the Flyers in 2003-04 and was named to the NHL All-Rookie Team that season after scoring 8-19-27 in 71 games. A member of the Eastern Conference Team at the 2004 NHL YoungStars Game in Minnesota, Pitkanen was second among NHL rookies in plus/minus at +15 and was second in scoring among NHL rookie defencemen with his 27 points.

A key member of the Flyers powerplay unit, Pitkanen was tied for second in powerplay scoring in 2006-07 with 1-17-18 and led Philadelphia in powerplay assists. During his rookie season, Pitkanen was ranked second among NHL rookies in powerplay points (5-12-17) and powerplay assists.

Prior to joining the Flyers, Pitkanen played three seasons in the Finnish SM-Liiga with Karpat Oulu, scoring 9-30-39 with 113 PIM in 105 games. He also played three seasons with the Karpat Oulu juniors and twice represented Finland at the IIHF World Junior Championship, winning back-to-back bronze medals in 2002 and 2003. He received the IIHF Directorate Award as the tournament’s best defenceman in 2003.

Oilers nicely dumped two players who played like garbage last season. Smith was hardly the physical defensman of prior years and consistently coughed up the puck. Lupul looked like an amateur on most nights. Don't ask my how he got 28 goals in Anaheim two years ago.

Pitkanen is the big puck moving defensman the Oilers were looking for. They need another scoring forward and they should have a much better season.

[quote name='Majsheppard' date='July 1, 2007 - 06:48PM'

Except they didn't sign Smyth so they lose this by default.

Insteresting that you bring that up, does this clear any cap space so the oilers can make a play at Smyth?

Guest jaytan

Man, the fans in Philly are sure going to be pissed when the Flyers don't even make the playoffs next season.

Edmonton got robbed. My dad went CRAZY when he heard of this trade (big Oil fan). Why would you trade Jason Smith away? Really. Lupul for Pitkanen straight up...

hear hear! that's what i've been speculating for months! lupul for pitkanen! throwing Smith in the mix hurt us. unless we're guaranteed a veteran d-man (unlikely but we'll see), then trading Smith was a horrible decision. i hope i'm wrong about Sanderson... but only time will tell....