#1 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

Can't say im surprised

Niedermayer to retire

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#2 Viperar

Viperar

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:00 PM

clap.gif for scotty
IPB Image
IPB Image

#3 spydrwebb

spydrwebb

Hockeytown West

• Gold Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:00 PM

ditto.
IPB Image

*live, love, learn... leave a legend*

#4 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

Not a surprise with Schneider signing.

#5 DetroitIan

DetroitIan

^^^^ The Dark Defender

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

Peace out Scotty boy. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
What time is it??? IT'S HOMER TIME!!!

Yzerman is God.

LGWer since June '02.

#6 yzerman&thewings=CUP

yzerman&thewings=CUP

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 972 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

link?
When our time here on Earth is done, we will leave everything we have behind. But, we will take with us all that we are - Adrian Rogers

#7 RedRockit

RedRockit

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

Yeah, that was my second thought after hearing that Matz signed a Duck contract: "Scotty's retiring, after all."

I really didn't believe it would happen until just now-- he's still so young.

Bye, Scotty, we knew ye all too well. Enjoy the golf, and your family.
"This is hockey, OK? It's not rocket surgery." - Donnie Shulzhoffer

#8 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,825 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

Good for him. Athletes always want to go out on top, and he certainly did.

Best of luck to him in his post-NHL career.

On a selfish note, I'm somewhat relieved. That lessens the impact of Schneider's signing quite a bit. Regardless of that, Scott's had a fantastic career and won more Stanley Cups than most players can even dream about.

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#9 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

Prediction: At some point next season, Niedermayer unretires and rejoins the Ducks.
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#10 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(Lou_Siffer @ July 1, 2007 - 07:22PM) View Post

Prediction: At some point next season, Niedermayer unretires and rejoins the Ducks.

Depends on whether he signs the papers and/or the Ducks still have room. If he signed the papers you honestly expect the other 29 GMs to do Burkie the favor of allowing him to bring back Niedermayer?

Posted Image

#11 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(norrisnick @ July 1, 2007 - 07:24PM) View Post

Depends on whether he signs the papers and/or the Ducks still have room. If he signed the papers you honestly expect the other 29 GMs to do Burkie the favor of allowing him to bring back Niedermayer?

Oh, I dont know anything about that. I figured guys could just come back if they wanted...whoops. I was unaware they had to be allowed back in.
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#12 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(Lou_Siffer @ July 1, 2007 - 07:26PM) View Post

Oh, I dont know anything about that. I figured guys could just come back if they wanted...whoops. I was unaware they had to be allowed back in.

If they sign official retirement papers they have to stay retired for a year or be let back in by the other general managers (maybe the board of governors but the point remains).

Posted Image

#13 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(norrisnick @ July 1, 2007 - 07:28PM) View Post

If they sign official retirement papers they have to stay retired for a year or be let back in by the other general managers (maybe the board of governors but the point remains).

oh, ok. Thanks for the info

Edited Prediction: Niedermayer will stay retired wink.gif

#14 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE(Lou_Siffer @ July 1, 2007 - 06:22PM) View Post

Agreed. He is going to get bored...fast. He isn't even 34 yet. How much golf can a man play?

QUOTE(norrisnick @ July 1, 2007 - 06:28PM) View Post

Okay well then next summer he will unretire.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#15 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(Yzerfan1999 @ July 1, 2007 - 07:33PM) View Post

Agreed. He is going to get bored...fast. He isn't even 34 yet. How much golf can a man play?
Okay well then next summer he will unretire.

I'm not sure Scott is a golfer. He's into mountain climing and running around in the woods of British Columbia. I doubt he'd get bored post hockey. If anything this retirement might prove hockey has becoming boring to him. There is nothing left for him to accomplish.

Posted Image

#16 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

Niedermayer does NOT retire......yet

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...484&hubname=nhl

#17 Filppula41

Filppula41

Prospect

• Silver Booster
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

Niedermayer not officially retired
Per TSN

In a surprising twist Anaheim Ducks captain Scott Niedermayer did not officially announce his retirement as expected, although sources say Niedermayer had informed those close to him of his intentions to do so earlier in the day.

Sources suggest Niedermayer was counseled to perhaps, leave himself an out if he has a sudden change of heart between now and the start of the season.

Niedermayer is the only player in hockey history to have won the six championships any Canadian-born player cares about: Stanley Cup, Memorial Cup, world junior gold, men's world gold, Olympic gold, and a World Cup of Hockey title.

He has also captured a Conn Smythe Trophy and Norris Trophy to boot.

''You look at what he's done, he's won everything you can pretty much win,'' said Niedermayer's former teammate Scott Stevens.

Furthermore, the Ducks' championship came alongside his brother Rob, fulfilling a lifelong dream. It also gave Scott Niedermayer four Stanley Cup titles after winning three in New Jersey.

"No big deal. I just watched the game. I had the best seats of anyone in the crowd. It was awesome."
-- Jiri Fischer - Early November 1999

#18 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:25 PM

So it would seem he's gonna retire without signing the papers. My guess is his agent freaked at the thought of losing several hundred K with the stroke of a pen. If Scott doesn't sign the chance of getting the money still exists.

Unless of course I'm wrong and the agent gets the cut from what was initially agreed to and not what the player ends up getting paid.

Posted Image

#19 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:34 PM

[quote]Prediction: At some point next season, Niedermayer unretires and rejoins the Ducks.[quote]

I was thinking year after next season. Unretiring is just the hip thing to do, and Niedermeyer is still obviously on top of his game.

Edited by VM1138, 01 July 2007 - 11:35 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#20 KronwallCRUNCH

KronwallCRUNCH

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

As Drew & Mike would say.....SEE YA!