• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwingfan19

Scott Niedermayer to retire

Rate this topic

Guest DetroitIan

Peace out Scotty boy. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Yeah, that was my second thought after hearing that Matz signed a Duck contract: "Scotty's retiring, after all."

I really didn't believe it would happen until just now-- he's still so young.

Bye, Scotty, we knew ye all too well. Enjoy the golf, and your family.

Good for him. Athletes always want to go out on top, and he certainly did.

Best of luck to him in his post-NHL career.

On a selfish note, I'm somewhat relieved. That lessens the impact of Schneider's signing quite a bit. Regardless of that, Scott's had a fantastic career and won more Stanley Cups than most players can even dream about.

Prediction: At some point next season, Niedermayer unretires and rejoins the Ducks.

Depends on whether he signs the papers and/or the Ducks still have room. If he signed the papers you honestly expect the other 29 GMs to do Burkie the favor of allowing him to bring back Niedermayer?

Depends on whether he signs the papers and/or the Ducks still have room. If he signed the papers you honestly expect the other 29 GMs to do Burkie the favor of allowing him to bring back Niedermayer?

Oh, I dont know anything about that. I figured guys could just come back if they wanted...whoops. I was unaware they had to be allowed back in.

Oh, I dont know anything about that. I figured guys could just come back if they wanted...whoops. I was unaware they had to be allowed back in.

If they sign official retirement papers they have to stay retired for a year or be let back in by the other general managers (maybe the board of governors but the point remains).

If they sign official retirement papers they have to stay retired for a year or be let back in by the other general managers (maybe the board of governors but the point remains).

oh, ok. Thanks for the info

Edited Prediction: Niedermayer will stay retired ;)

Prediction: At some point next season, Niedermayer unretires and rejoins the Ducks.

Agreed. He is going to get bored...fast. He isn't even 34 yet. How much golf can a man play?

Okay well then next summer he will unretire.

Agreed. He is going to get bored...fast. He isn't even 34 yet. How much golf can a man play?

Okay well then next summer he will unretire.

I'm not sure Scott is a golfer. He's into mountain climing and running around in the woods of British Columbia. I doubt he'd get bored post hockey. If anything this retirement might prove hockey has becoming boring to him. There is nothing left for him to accomplish.

Niedermayer not officially retired

Per TSN

In a surprising twist Anaheim Ducks captain Scott Niedermayer did not officially announce his retirement as expected, although sources say Niedermayer had informed those close to him of his intentions to do so earlier in the day.

Sources suggest Niedermayer was counseled to perhaps, leave himself an out if he has a sudden change of heart between now and the start of the season.

Niedermayer is the only player in hockey history to have won the six championships any Canadian-born player cares about: Stanley Cup, Memorial Cup, world junior gold, men's world gold, Olympic gold, and a World Cup of Hockey title.

He has also captured a Conn Smythe Trophy and Norris Trophy to boot.

''You look at what he's done, he's won everything you can pretty much win,'' said Niedermayer's former teammate Scott Stevens.

Furthermore, the Ducks' championship came alongside his brother Rob, fulfilling a lifelong dream. It also gave Scott Niedermayer four Stanley Cup titles after winning three in New Jersey.

So it would seem he's gonna retire without signing the papers. My guess is his agent freaked at the thought of losing several hundred K with the stroke of a pen. If Scott doesn't sign the chance of getting the money still exists.

Unless of course I'm wrong and the agent gets the cut from what was initially agreed to and not what the player ends up getting paid.

I was thinking year after next season. Unretiring is just the hip thing to do, and Niedermeyer is still obviously on top of his game.

Edited by VM1138

So it would seem he's gonna retire without signing the papers. My guess is his agent freaked at the thought of losing several hundred K with the stroke of a pen. If Scott doesn't sign the chance of getting the money still exists.

Unless of course I'm wrong and the agent gets the cut from what was initially agreed to and not what the player ends up getting paid.

I don't get it though, because he's under contract to play for the Ducks next season, doesn't he have to retire or else they're obligated to pay his salary and do something with him regarding the lineup?

I don't get it though, because he's under contract to play for the Ducks next season, doesn't he have to retire or else they're obligated to pay his salary and do something with him regarding the lineup?

Hmm... I guess he could "fail to report" *nudge nudge wink wink* and then Burke could suspend him thus taking him off the payroll? Maybe this not signing the papers plan is only for the course of the summer. Gives him a couple more months to think about it.

I don't think so. I think it's very similar to what Forsberg did in '02. Under the CBA I think as long as the team doesn't dress him, his salary doesn't count against the cap and because he's not playing the Ducks don't owe him any money.

I could be very wrong though.

I think it's obvious that Scott is leaving a crack open so he could possibly play again in the future.

In the end I'm glad he got to walk out on his own terms. Scotty Neids has always been a favourite of mine. He's done it all and should be a first-ballet HOFer.

As a Wings fan, I'm glad this guy is gone. This will hurt the Ducks chances greatly. I always felt he was much better in his own zone than Pronger and was more dangerous in the offensive zone because with his speed he could jump in on the play and easily get back.

If Teemu retires, the Ducks will have a very hard time to repeat, much to the chagrin of the 141 Ducks fans in Anaheim.

I don't think so. I think it's very similar to what Forsberg did in '02. Under the CBA I think as long as the team doesn't dress him, his salary doesn't count against the cap and because he's not playing the Ducks don't owe him any money.

I could be very wrong though.

I think it's obvious that Scott is leaving a crack open so he could possibly play again in the future.

if that was the case, why wouldn't every player do the same thing just in case they wanted to come back? i would imagine that there's rules against this somewhere.

if that was the case, why wouldn't every player do the same thing just in case they wanted to come back? i would imagine that there's rules against this somewhere.

I'm thinking it must be what NNick was getting at.

He didn't sign the papers yet, but will need to make it official one way or another before the season starts.