• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

The Wings are done adding to the defense, right?

Rate this topic

I can't believe Holland is neglecting Markov. He must be asking for alot of cash or something; otherwise I can't figure this one out. The guy plays tough as nails and is fairly sound defensively. Our defense loses about 40% of its physicality of Markov leaves.

I don't really understand why Markov switches teams so often. He's a pretty sure second pair guy I feel. Like I said, money is really the only thing I can think of.

We need 1 more... BIG PHYSICAL DEF (Sutton, Vishnevski or maybe Vaananen)

Right now?

I question that. The intensity of the regular season isn't near that of the playoffs. Kenny & Co could sign Bert and another solid forward, and hold of until the deadline to sign a more quality Dman that would round off our defensive core heading into the playoffs. No need to break the bank for some of these price tags that are getting thrown around. Kenny made the right move immediately replacing Schneider with Rafalski, and I agree that its time for him to stay on the sidelines (atleast when it comes to Dmen) for a little while.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Actually they need to subtract one.

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Chelios - Kronwall

Lilja- Quincey

with all due respect... Lebda is a 3rd pairing guy and a puck moving d-man. We already have 3 of those. Meech is also out of waiver options, and is just as good if not better than lebda. IMO, trade lebda and meech should be the 7th d-man

Lilja- Quincey

you didn't mean to actually put those two together, did you?

Quincey will not cover for Lilly's mistakes. plus, I guess he was

paired with grandpa in playoffs and they both seemed to be doing

fine. why not keeping Chelli/Quincey for at least some time,

and put Lilly with Nick (Sr.)

you didn't mean to actually put those two together, did you?

Quincey will not cover for Lilly's mistakes. plus, I guess he was

paired with grandpa in playoffs and they both seemed to be doing

fine. why not keeping Chelli/Quincey for at least some time,

and put Lilly with Nick (Sr.)

No, I understand. There can be like 2 or 3 more legit combinations.

May I ask how you came to the conclusion that Meech is as good, or better than Lebda?

Lilja was the #7 guy sitting in the press box for a good portion of the season while Lebda played.

I agree we have quite a few young Dmen looking to gain a spot on the roster, & Holland may need to move 1 of them, or he could possibly try to move the older, & more expensive Lilja.

Lilja was much better in the 2nd half and the playoffs. He was easily our most physical/gritty d'man during that period. Lebda wasn't even on the same planet as him during the playoffs. Sure you can say he made a huge mistake in game 5, but he was also 90 secs away from being the hero of the game.

Like I said, Lebda is simply a puck moving d-man. We already have lidstrom, rafalski, kronwall and kindl in GR. Thats more than enough. Meech was an all-star in the AHL, and was their best d'man. He is a good enough puck-moving d'man himself and is more gritty. Everybody has their own opinion, and I like lebda a lot, but I think meech has better upside than lebda.

Me thinks if Meech, Quincey, and Lilja is gonna beat Lebda out of a job they'll have their chance to prove themselves come September.

If they go to camp with those guys, meech will have to pass through waivers and could be claimed. At least if they don't want to keep him, they should try to move him. And if not, they would have to keep him up at the expense of quincey.

Meech is a legit NHL d'man. Here is what Jim Nill had to say about him in January:

Sometimes these guys get forgotten and they show up on an NHL roster and everybody says, 'Where did he come from? We say, 'He was always there, he was never highly thought of.' Much like Brett Lebda, he wasn't highly thought of and now he's a top five defenseman.

I too like Vitaly Vishnevski, but a another poster made a good point - why hadn't he played 1 playoff game this past season for Atlanta?

Because he was traded to Nashville at the deadline...

But he didn't play in the playoffs for them either so your question is still legit...

Right now?

I question that. The intensity of the regular season isn't near that of the playoffs. Kenny & Co could sign Bert and another solid forward, and hold of until the deadline to sign a more quality Dman that would round off our defensive core heading into the playoffs. No need to break the bank for some of these price tags that are getting thrown around.

Yes. This is definitely the smartest plan of action--thankfully Kenny's already got that in mind, I bet.

There's room after Bert this summer though? $3mill to Bert/$2.5 to Dom, $2.5 to someone else, yeah? (EDIT: Check that, $8mill total with $1m reserved. Gotta wonder what we can get for that)

Lilja was much better in the 2nd half and the playoffs. He was easily our most physical/gritty d'man during that period.

Lilja was getting notice for effort, but he isn't quite a monster out there. Yet? He can improve, he isn't a freight train though.

Just a Pain Train.

Edited by Flip-check

I keep seeing people posting that we need to get another dman. Has Holland said we're going to add another D?

Lidstrom

Lilja

Rafalski

Kronwall

Chelios

Lebda

Quincy

Meech

Kindl

I would think we were set on defense. On a personal note, I like the Rafalski signing but sheesh, could our defense be any smaller. I think my high school team had a bigger group of top 6 than these guys. We better get bigger up front b/c we're awfully small on the back end. I love being a talented team but talent and size trumps talent and lack of size every time, Anaheim proved that one.

i have difficulty putting that much faith in Kronwall Quincey and Kindl. These are young inexperienced guys. Dont expect them to deliver in the play offs.

i have difficulty putting that much faith in Kronwall Quincey and Kindl. These are young inexperienced guys. Dont expect them to deliver in the play offs.

that's rather OK to expect defensive defensemen to not pile up points, IMHO :) they're having different role in the team :)