• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Diamonds

Wings still looking for a depth Defensemen

Rate this topic

"Holland said he has about $8 million to spend on four players -- Hasek, restricted free-agent forward Jiri Hudler, a top-six free-agent forward and a depth defenseman. Defenseman Danny Markov rejected a contract offer from the Wings last week at the entry draft in Columbus and is not expected to return.

Holland will continue exploring the market for a second-tier forward. Players still available as of Sunday night included former Wings Slava Kozlov and Brendan Shanahan, Michael Nylander, Dainus Zubrus, Alexei Yashin, Ladislav Nagy and Petr Sykora.

"We're done as far as big money goes,'' Holland said. "If we're going to do something on defense, maybe it's a month from now. You're always looking for more size. Ideally, you'd like to say we're going to get bigger, but it's easier said than done.''

Roman Hamrlik

Go get him Kenny!!!

Guest Agalloch

He better get the top six forward soon. There are few decent guys left, and that's only going to decrease.

Forsberg ftw.

Despite these flaws outlined by TSN...I don't think he'd be that bad of a pick up to play Wing.

Dainius Zubrus

"Doesn't give an honest effort every night. Lacks consistency. Is still a non-factor in too many games. Was rushed to the NHL and is trying to catch up."

The article u got that Info from is old...

Yeah it was yesterdays news dated July 2nd, but the point of the article still remains, Holland will not stand pat. He will get a couple depth guys. Personally I would like to see him Grab a nasty Defensemen, and another two way foward like Cleary, Dean Mcammond is still available.

Jedi,Transformers? Let me guess, you were first in line for the iPhone :P

Heck no. The guy who was first in line here in my town paid 3 of his friends $1000 apiece to hold his place during the day while he was at work. I can't compete with that.

Besides, I'm waiting until the first wave of iPhone's pass by before I buy mine.

Anywho, my previous comment wasn't about your posting of the story, BTW. I was just highlighting the fact that Kenny ALWAYS seems to say the same thing in regards to the Wings' needs.

Heck no. The guy who was first in line here in my town paid 3 of his friends $1000 apiece to hold his place during the day while he was at work. I can't compete with that.

Besides, I'm waiting until the first wave of iPhone's pass by before I buy mine.

Anywho, my previous comment wasn't about your posting of the story, BTW. I was just highlighting the fact that Kenny ALWAYS seems to say the same thing in regards to the Wings' needs.

My bad, Anyway if we think were getting a top foward, I wouldn't count on it. I just read something about Kozlov per Spector that made me think there's noway we can afford to pay a top foward with the market as it is now.

THRASHERS STILL TALKING WITH KOZLOV.

ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION: Craig Custance reports Thrashers GM Don Waddell continued contract negotiations with UFA winger Slava Kozlov but was no closer to a deal. Custance reports if Kozlov signs elsewhere Waddell won't try to replace him with an expensive signing but could instead spread his money throughout his roster, looking to perhaps bring in a defenceman, another center, a winger or a combination of the three. Custance also suggested former Islander Alexei Yashin might be a potential target.

Spector's Note: The fact negotiations are ongoing are a positive sign for the Thrashers, but the number of quality UFA wingers still available are dwindling and that's likely raising Kozlov's stock.

Sounds like Kozzie is looking for 4-5 millon per yr.

Despite these flaws outlined by TSN...I don't think he'd be that bad of a pick up to play Wing.

Dainius Zubrus

"Doesn't give an honest effort every night. Lacks consistency. Is still a non-factor in too many games. Was rushed to the NHL and is trying to catch up."

That report is very old. Having watched Zubrus on and off for a couple of seasons, I'm usually impressed by his foot speed and work ethic.

That report is very old. Having watched Zubrus on and off for a couple of seasons, I'm usually impressed by his foot speed and work ethic.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

I haven't had Center Ice the past 2 seasons and haven't seen much of him recently. He's young and huge. I think with the options left out there, this could be our guy for sure. I hope.

This offseason (which were are barely into to) has been nuts.

Kariya, gone.

Gomez, gone.

Drury, gone.

Briere, gone.

Smyth, gone.

Tkachuk, gone.

Nolan, gone.

Bertuzzi, gone.

Nylander, gone.

Sykora, gone.

J.Blake, gone.

But if we get Kozzie back, I'll be happy. Guerin's available as well, and Marleau and Samsonov could probably be had too.

Edited by TheUltimateWingsFan

Guest Agalloch

This offseason (which were are barely into to) has been nuts.

Kariya, gone.

Gomez, gone.

Drury, gone.

Briere, gone.

Smyth, gone.

Tkachuk, gone.

Nolan, gone.

Bertuzzi, gone.

Nylander, gone.

Sykora, gone.

J.Blake, gone.

But if we get Kozzie back, I'll be happy. Guerin's available as well, and Marleau and Samsonov could probably be had too.

Yes, the Blackhawks are going to trade Samsonov to a division rival a week after acquiring him. Makes sense.

Remaining FA's who could we afford?

Nashville Predators Unrestricted Free Agents: C Peter Forsberg, RW Patrick Leahy, G Karl Goehring, C Kim Staal, D Vitali Vishnevski

St. Louis Blues Unrestricted Free Agents: C Glen Metropolit, LW Ville Nieminen, LW Vladimir Orszagh, D Jamie Rivers, C Trent Whitfield, C Denis Pederson, G Curtis Sanford.

Columbus Blue Jackets Unrestricted Free Agents: D Bryan Berard, D Anders Eriksson, G Brian Boucher, D Jamie Pushor.

Chicago Blackhawks Unrestricted Free Agents: C Denis Arkhipov, C Mikael Holmqvist, RW Peter Bondra, RW Jeff Hamilton, D Bruno St. Jacques, C Craig MacDonald, RW Reed Low.

Vancouver Canucks Unrestricted Free Agents: D Brent Sopel, C Jan Bulis, LW Trevor Linden, D Rory Fitzpatrick, C Brad Moran, D Yannick Tremblay, C Tommi Santala, RW Josh Green, D Lee Goren, G Wade Flaherty.

Minnesota Wild Unrestricted Free Agents: C Wes Walz, C Wyatt Smith, D Peter Ratchuk, C Jason Morgan, LW Adam Hall.

Calgary Flames Unrestricted Free Agents: RW Tony Amonte, LW Jeff Friesen, RW Darren McCarty, G Jamie McLennan, C Byron Ritchie, D Brad Ference, D Brad Stuart.

Colorado Avalanche Unrestricted Free Agents: D Patrice Brisebois, C Pierre Turgeon, D Ossi Vaananen, LW Antti Laaksonen, C Mark Rycroft.

Edmonton Oilers Unrestricted Free Agents:C Petr Nedved, D Daniel Tjarnqvist, D Jan Hejda, G Jussi Markkanen, LW Toby Petersen.

Anaheim Ducks Unrestricted Free Agents: RW Teemu Selanne, D Ric Jackman, LW Brad May, D Joe DiPenta, F Trevor Gillies, F Shane Endicott.

San Jose Sharks Unrestricted Free Agents: RW Bill Guerin, C Mark Smith, D Patrick Traverse, D Vladimir Malakhov.

Dallas Stars Unrestricted Free Agents:C Eric Lindros, D Jon Klemm, C Patrik Stefan, RW Matthew Barnaby.

Los Angeles Kings Unrestricted Free Agents: F Alyn McAuley (bought-out), D Aaron Miller, D Jamie Heward, G Sean Burke, G Mathieu Garon, F Tom Kostopoulos, D Mike Weaver, F Raitis Ivanans

Phoenix Coyotes Unrestricted Free Agents: G Curtis Joseph, C Mike Ricci, C Jeremy Roenick, LW Pascal Rheaume.

New Jersey Devils Unrestricted Free Agents:RW Alexander Mogilny, D Dan McGillis, D Brad Lukowich, LW Jason Wiemer, LW Grant Marshall, D Jim Fahey, C Jim Dowd, RW Erik Rasmussen, G Scott Clemmensen, LW Dan LaCouture.

Pittsburgh Penguins Unrestricted Free Agents:G Jocelyn Thibault, LW Nils Ekman, D Josef Melichar, D Eric Cairns, D Robert Scuderi, LW Ronald Petrovicky, D Alain Nasreddine, D Wade Brookbank

New York Rangers Unrestricted Free Agents: LW Brendan Shanahan, D Sandis Ozolinsh, G Kevin Weekes, D Karel Rachunek, LW Brad Isbister, D Martin Richter.

New York Islanders Unrestricted Free Agents: C Alexei Yashin (bought-out), LW Chris Simon, LW Arron Asham, D Sean Hill, RW Eric Boguniecki, G Mike Dunham, D Joel Bouchard, D Tomas Malec, C Peter Ferraro.

Philadelphia Flyers Unrestricted Free Agents: C Mike York, G Robert Esche, LW Niko Dimitrakos, LW Todd Fedoruk, RW Denis Hamel, C Mark Cullen.

Buffalo Sabres Unrestricted Free Agents: D Teppo Numminen, RW Michael Ryan, G Ty Conklin, C Dainius Zubrus, D Timo Helbling, D Mikko Lehtonen, G Adam Berkhoel.

Ottawa Senators Unrestricted Free Agents: C Mike Comrie, D Jamie Allison, C Serge Payer.

Toronto Maple Leafs SUCK! Unrestricted Free Agents: C Michael Peca, C Jeff O'Neill, G Jean-Sebastien Aubin, C Travis Green.

Montreal Canadiens Unrestricted Free Agents: D Janne Niinimaa, D Sheldon Souray, LW Mike Johnson, G David Aebischer, RW Aaron Downey.

Boston Bruins Unrestricted Free Agents: D Jason York, LW Jeff Hoggan, D Nathan Dempsey, G Joey MacDonald.

Atlanta Thrashers Unrestricted Free Agents: F Slava Kozlov, D Andy Sutton, D Shane Hnidy, LW J.P. Vigier, LW Eric Boulton, LW Cory Larose, D Andy Delmore, C Eric Belanger.

Tampa Bay Lightning Unrestricted Free Agents: D Cory Sarich, LW Ruslan Fedotenko, D Nolan Pratt, D Luke Richardson, LW Rob DiMaio, LW Eric Healey.

Carolina Hurricanes Unrestricted Free Agents: RW Anson Carter, D David Tanabe, RW Shane Willis, RW Jesse Boulerice, C Josef Vasicek.

Florida Panthers Unrestricted Free Agents: C Jozef Stumpel, LW Martin Gelinas, G Ed Belfour, G Jean-Marc Pelletier, G Alex Auld, RW Juraj Kolnik, D Alexei Semenov.

Washington Capitals Unrestricted Free Agents: D Bryan Muir.

Edited by Johnny Diamonds

i dont know why we need this "depth" defensemen ?? derek meech is the number 7 guy if he doesnjt work out we call up quincey ......id like to us trade lilja and his 1 million and go for aaron miller or vishnevky , we need some physical d ( yes lilja played well in the playoffs but he wont last in a 82 game schedule , he'll suck again)

and as much as id love to get some big forward i dont really think its gonna happen , if i were a betting man id say we get stuck with someone like fedotenko

I heard forsberg would come back in the winter or new year ? what id like to see happen is holland calls forsberg says we'll give you a 1 yr 2.5 offer and take as much time as you want just so long as your ready towards the end of the season and can help us in the playoffs ........... wont happen though

fedoteno 1.9 , 1 yr deal ( had a 32 pt season) ......hudler 750k .....meech 500k .....hasek 2.5 ......trade lilja ...miller 2 mill 1 yr

fedotenko datsyuk holmstrom

hudler zetterberg samuelsson

franzen filppula grigorenko

cleary draper maltby

kopecky

lidstrom kronwall

rafalski miller

lebda chelios

meech

hasek

ozzie

thats what i see our team realistically looking something like