• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWings Gone Wild

Can we finally relax?

Rate this topic

I see alot of panic on this message board, which I think is strange. After all the great teams Holland has whipped together for us, can't we finally just trust his instincts? Everyone seems to be worried since we lost lang, calder, todd, and matt. But honestly, were any of them actually essential to our success? (Especially since Rafalski will easily replace schneider, the only one of true value) There also seems to be alot of concern over the fact that a number of the top FAs are already gone.

What needs to be remembered is this: In 2005 Detroit was expected to be really hurt because of the salary cap... in 2006 Detroit was expected to be really hurt by the loss of Yzerman and shanny. Each time, we're at the top. I think Holland knows what he is doing. I expect we'll be just as good as last year, if not better. Care to disagree?

I see alot of panic on this message board, which I think is strange. After all the great teams Holland has whipped together for us, can't we finally just trust his instincts? Everyone seems to be worried since we lost lang, calder, todd, and matt. But honestly, were any of them actually essential to our success? (Especially since Rafalski will easily replace schneider, the only one of true value) There also seems to be alot of concern over the fact that a number of the top FAs are already gone.

What needs to be remembered is this: In 2005 Detroit was expected to be really hurt because of the salary cap... in 2006 Detroit was expected to be really hurt by the loss of Yzerman and shanny. Each time, we're at the top. I think Holland knows what he is doing. I expect we'll be just as good as last year, if not better. Care to disagree?

Most of those guys, no, are not vital to our success. Lang though will leave a huge void that NEEDS to be filled and cant be filled by the likes of rookies and/or prospects. We need a forward......maybe not a top guy, but someone to fill Lang's shoes. I mean, we probably wouldn't have even made it to the third round if it wasnt for Lang's shot with 30 sec. left in SJ. Like I said, we need a 2nd line forward........after that I'll be content.

Now this is just a rumor!!! Reportedly someone stated that Hurricanes are trying to do a trade. Some other report stated Wings are looking into getting Ray Whitney. I doubt this will happen but I just wanted to inform you guys that IF (big if) it does happen then I called it first! :D

Edited by Superman54

Ironically, I think the people posting the calm down threads are the ones that need to relax. They seem to be outnumbering the panic threads!

Now this is just a rumor!!! Reportedly someone stated that Hurricanes are trying to do a trade. Some other report stated Wings are looking into getting Ray Whitney. I doubt this will happen but I just wanted to inform you guys that IF (big if) it does happen then I called it first lol.

wheeeeerrreee?????

man o man, would i love to see Ray back here. He seems to be getting better with age

Edited by ShanahanMan

I guess I'll say what I think, even though most will yell at me for saying it.

Last season, we had Lang on the second line and everyone complained about how horrible he was and he needed to go, well, now he's gone. That's fine, he wasn't an impact player even though he was supposed to be. To me, he played like he just didn't give a damn about the team -- whatever.

I thought Calder started out great. I loved him and was glad to have him with the Wings, and if you remember, he was so glad to be with the Wings. I don't know what happened during playoffs. I'm sorry to see him go -- again, not an impact player, although he did add grit.

I was totally exicted about having Bertuzzi with the Wings. I honestly believed that if he were truly healthy that he would clear the ice for Dats and Zets to play their game. He was an impact player, and I'm sorry to see him go because I have a feeling he will be the 'old' Bert with the Ducks (which totally sucks!!!)

Losing Schneids originally I was mad about. He was an impact player, but getting Rafalski (sp) makes me feel better about that. He, too was an impact player.

During the last few years, even though we lost certain players, we still had serious amounts of impact players. I think we are used to having the experienced vertrans left over (Yzerman, Shannahan, et al,) and didn't worry as much before.

Now, we have Dats, Zetterberg, Homer, Drapes, Malts, Lidstrom, Cleary, Franzen, Flipula, Lilja, Osgood, Chelios and Franzen. All are great players, but none who play with grit, really. Who is our biggest, grittiest guy out of that group?

That's my concern, we have no grit or size. Are we going to have to watch our impact players get pushed and shoved around the ice with noone to back them up?

It wasn't like that a few years ago, and I think that's what's in the back of everyone's mind who is complaining right now.

Just my take.

GO WINGS!

Now this is just a rumor!!! Reportedly someone stated that Hurricanes are trying to do a trade. Some other report stated Wings are looking into getting Ray Whitney. I doubt this will happen but I just wanted to inform you guys that IF (big if) it does happen then I called it first! :D

KLJSKGLJS

I love Ray! He has been EXCELLENT ever since the Wings bought him out. He was a huge part of the Canes Cup win and has just been on fire ever since. Having him back would be sweet!

I'll relax when Holland signs Arron Asham.

Until then, you know the drill. *begins to ***** about* ;)

Arron Asham? wow, pretty random. I guess if we could sign him for a 1 year 2 mil contract, it'd be okay.

great thread.

one top 6 forward, no defenseman, sign hasek, save money for trade deadline.

thank you! Finally someone who sees it exactly like me. :clap:

Edited by ShanahanMan

wheeeeerrreee?????

man o man, would i love to see Ray back here. He seems to be getting better with age

Im trying to get it to you guys...My computer is tripping out and isn't letting me load different websites.

Guest Shoreline

There's only two concerns I have about the Wings, and both relate to physical aspects of the game. One is size.. with losing Lang and Bertuzzi, the Wings lost size. Ok maybe not too big of a deal, but one void that hasn't been filled is the tough guy the Wings have needed to smack around the goons who want to screw with Dats, Z, Lids, and our skill players.I so tired of other teams bullying and injuring Wing players with no pain in return.

Edited by Shoreline

Arron Asham? wow, pretty random. I guess if we could sign him for a 1 year 2 mil contract, it'd be okay.

He's exactly what the Wings need. He's gritty, fights, and still scored 11 goals last season with the Islanders on a checking line. Just imagine him playing on a line with Filppula. He could possibly be a 20 goal scorer!

Ray would rock... Offsides jersey would be unretired... but th' gone again next season as babs would only give 'im 5th line minutes 'n expect huddles type output... oh bummer.

great thread.

one top 6 forward, no defenseman, sign hasek, save money for trade deadline.

It's not just the good plan--there's no other option.

All the guys that are worth anything and that we can get are gone. We won't pick up a very significant forward either, Holland already said he's done with big signings. This is our summer.

Guest Crymson

Agreed. While we might all think that we know best, we really don't.

All the guys that are worth anything and that we can get are gone. We won't pick up a very significant forward either, Holland already said he's done with big signings. This is our summer.

Did you also happen to notice that all of the big name players were overpaid immensly, and all got huge contracts?

It's as simple as this: If the Wings were to go out and sign some like Drury or Briere, that would mean no Zetterberg come when he's a free agent. Now, who would you rather have? One of those two or Zetterberg? I'd much rather have Zetterberg. kthx

that's not necessarily a bad thing.

very nice avatar but can it be slowed down a touch so we can read it before it advances to the next frame? :D

Guest Crymson

Ray Whitney had an 80pt season in '06-'07, and he was recently signed to a contract extension by the Hurricanes. He won't be traded.

If all th' BIG NAME players are gettin' o'erpaid as ye say... does that nah become th' new NORM fer big name players pay?

Guest Crymson

Most of those guys, no, are not vital to our success. Lang though will leave a huge void that NEEDS to be filled and cant be filled by the likes of rookies and/or prospects. We need a forward......maybe not a top guy, but someone to fill Lang's shoes. I mean, we probably wouldn't have even made it to the third round if it wasnt for Lang's shot with 30 sec. left in SJ. Like I said, we need a 2nd line forward........after that I'll be content.

Had somebody who was not such a worthless 2nd-line center been on the ice in place of Lang, we might have won that game by three. Who knows?

If all th' BIG NAME players are gettin' o'erpaid as ye say... does that nah become th' new NORM fer big name players pay?

Do you honestly feel Daniel Briere is worth 10 million a season? While, at that same time, Joe Thornton is only making 7.2 million a season?

He's overpaid, just like half of the other big names.

Had somebody who was not such a worthless 2nd-line center been on the ice in place of Lang, we might have won that game by three. Who knows?

Or would have lost... <_<