• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Filppula41

Oilers cry foul over Nylander deal

Rate this topic

Scandals!

If this is indeed true (which I heard on XM Home Ice yesterday that they said it was), then we'll see what comes out of this. Probably nothing, but wouldn't that be weird if the NHL stepped in and made Nylander play in Edmonton instead of Washington? Again though, I doubt anything of that magnitude would happen.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Well, if it's actually what the Oilers are saying it is (and I can't imagine them being stupid enough to make that kind of press release unless they had good, solid legal counsel that it was the case), then I imagine something will happen, although specifically what I couldn't say. Kind of underhanded crap that won't fly nowadays, maybe back in the 50s.

-John

if i'm not mistaken something simliar to this happened a while back between the devils an st.louis. I don't remember who was being signed, or what the schmatics of it was but i remember that as part of the compensation of being found guilty, the blues had to give NJ then realitivly unknown scott stevens. I think it would be funny if the caps had to give up some prospects for nylander.

If the league investigates and finds that the Oilers and Nylander had a valid contract, then his rights would belong to Edmonton. Remember the infamous Lindros double-trade, when Quebec's owner had agreed to deals with both Philly and the Rangers? The Philly deal was completed first and satisfied the requirements of a legal trade, so the subsequent Rangers deal was voided and the rest is history. That trade was primarily responsible for the Rangers winning the Cup in '94 (probably wouldn't have happened if they got Lindros) AND the Avalanche winning it in '96.

if i'm not mistaken something simliar to this happened a while back between the devils an st.louis. I don't remember who was being signed, or what the schmatics of it was but i remember that as part of the compensation of being found guilty, the blues had to give NJ then realitivly unknown scott stevens. I think it would be funny if the caps had to give up some prospects for nylander.

Actually, that was part of the deal that actually had our boy brendan shanahan headed to st. louis. So it ended up something like Stevens to NJ and Shanahan to the Blues.

Guest DetroitIan

Wow, this is really weird. Has this ever happend before? Cause I dont think so. All I know is, if Nylander actually did agree to a deal with Edmonton, then he should be an Oiler. This is just so strange.

Scott Stevens a relatively unkown back then? Not hardly. Stevens had already put in a number of years with the Caps and was widely known around the NHL as a tough, reliable, stay at home d-man. However, when he got to NJ, Jacques Lemaire really settled him down from taking too many penalties and he turned into a top 2 d-man.

screw the oilers, keep crying...caps all the way, i realize my statement might be ignorant...but caps > oilers for me :lol:

Well, at least you acknowledge your ignorance ;)

I bear no ill will towards the Capitals for this, but if anything close to what has been reported as happening has, in fact, happened then that's just bush league and Nylander should be given some sort of punishment. He's far from stable anyways.

-John