• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

slapshot_34

If You Were Ken Holland This Off-Season?

Rate this topic

I find it interesting to see that Hasek hasn't signed yet. I'm trying not to be pessimistic but he said something to the effect of I'll wait a few days and see how much money is left. Could he really be saying, I'll wait a few days and see what the team looks like?

He's stated repeatedly that he's only playing to win a cup. Maybe he hasn't signed yet because he doesn't think that this team, as currently put together, can win one.

I hope that isn't the case but it's been bugging me for the past few days.

Unrelated note: Someone earlier mentioned getting rid of Kopecky because he hadn't done anything to earn a roster spot. I hope you're kidding. He's EXACTLY the type of player the Wings need for the playoffs. Babcock even said so himself before last year's playoffs.

Edited by therock48880

I find it interesting to see that Hasek hasn't signed yet. I'm trying not to be pessimistic but he said something to the effect of I'll wait a few days and see how much money is left. Could he really be saying, I'll wait a few days and see what the team looks like?

He's stated repeatedly that he's only playing to win a cup. Maybe he hasn't signed yet because he doesn't think that this team, as currently put together, can win one.

Unrelated note: Someone earlier mentioned getting rid of Kopecky because he hadn't done anything to earn a roster spot. I hope you're kidding. He's EXACTLY the type of player the Wings need for the playoffs. Babcock even said so himself before last year's playoffs.

I noticed the comment about Kopecky earlier too...he broke his freaking collarbone...if he had played all year he would have sewn up a spot on the team easily

i feel like this question has been raised in 4-5 different threads.

i would:

sign hasek

sign a top 6 forward

leave well enough alone until the trade deadline, at which point i would have decent money to spend.

we'll be fine.

I noticed the comment about Kopecky earlier too...he broke his freaking collarbone...if he had played all year he would have sewn up a spot on the team easily

How can you say that? Lets not forget he did actually play in 28 games, was not overly physical by any means, and managed 1 pt. I remember a thread months ago where i listed about 8 4th line fighters that were producing more than that! And those guys were actually playing twice as physical, as well as scrapping.

Why is Markov not getting any love? He played well and was steady - I'd throw 3.5 at him; hell, he's only 30 - lock him up for a while.

You'd do that at the expense of a top 6 forward? It's either one or the other, a forward or another d-man. There isn't enough money to have both. Plus, the fact that the organization has tons of young, talented, albeit inexperienced, defensemen. Nothing against Markov because I liked the way he played, but I'd pass on him at this time.

How can you say that? Lets not forget he did actually play in 28 games, was not overly physical by any means, and managed 1 pt. I remember a thread months ago where i listed about 8 4th line fighters that were producing more than that! And those guys were actually playing twice as physical, as well as scrapping.

Were any of them in their first year in the league? Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see this team with a fighter, but not at the expense of a young, rugged, gritty kid that just needs experience.

Were any of them in their first year in the league? Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see this team with a fighter, but not at the expense of a young, rugged, gritty kid that just needs experience.

I dont think it really matters what year theyre in, it shouldnt be difficult to outdo someone like Brian McGrattan! My problem with Kopecky is when people say we cant use a guy like Asham because the bottom lines are set. I hate the idea that Kopecky is a deterrent to a toughness acquisition now when he's yet to show crap. Now if they were to move out Hudler, then fine.

:nonono:

Why? Why?! WHY?! It's endless.

Rafalski is an upgrade over Schneider. Lang, Bertuzzi, and Calder were non-factors. Markov can be replaced, he's not worth more than he was getting. So, what has Holland done? So far he's upgraded the defense and dumped the dead weight. Its three days into the off-season. There's plenty of time to find an adequate replacement for Markov and round out the top six.

But quick, PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! Deem this year a failure before the roster is even set!

Well, I would like to say that I do believe Holland will add some guys, but whether or not you are willing to face reality, he has lost 3 guys he tried to resign and is having a pretty tough time signing one of the guys that wants to be here. The Bert and Schneids deals just seemed like they could've been done. I liked the idea that both of them would be gone in two years.

Reality does not automatically mean negativity. Trust me when I say I love this team and have loved for over 30 years, so don't start preaching to me about negativity, not supporting the team or not loving them.

when people are so desperate for something like we all are for size on the wings we will do anything to see it kopecky has size but not the skill he reminds me of kuznetsov on d all size no skill

I 'ave a dream...

I 'ave a dream that th' Red Win's will be made up o' all defenseman... I would do this by tellin' th' coach t' underhandley adjust th' lines 'n thar roles on th' crew t' make th' forwards look worse than they be... So when in th' offseason I let them walk th' crowd will go nutz wit' applause 'n then I shall sign only defenseman.

Ah that be me dream 'n this season I be comin' 2 more defenseman closer.

SIGN DEFENSE... MUUUHHHAAAA HAHAHAAHAHA

I dont think it really matters what year theyre in, it shouldnt be difficult to outdo someone like Brian McGrattan! My problem with Kopecky is when people say we cant use a guy like Asham because the bottom lines are set. I hate the idea that Kopecky is a deterrent to a toughness acquisition now when he's yet to show crap. Now if they were to move out Hudler, then fine.

Exactly what I'm saying. Kopecky hasn't done anything noteworthy to earn himself a roster spot on this team. Someone like Arron Asham or Jason Weimer would be so much more valuable.

If Holland manages to drop off these scrubs like Hudler and Samulesson, signs some toughness like Asham, then it's fine by me that Kopecky plays. He is 6'3, so that's always a plus. But still, I don't want to sacriftice potential toughness in Asham for a big guy like Kopecky that doesn't use his size.

The best situation is like I said: Dump Hudler and Samulesson. That's two extra roster spots. Put Asham in one of them, and if there are no other good signings for toughness in free agency, then you can throw Kopecky in there. Otherwise, he sits. That's my view of it. The Wings should not snub off these tougher players like Asham for Kopecky, who hasn't done anything to prove himself.

Why is Markov not getting any love? He played well and was steady - I'd throw 3.5 at him; hell, he's only 30 - lock him up for a while.

Markov rejected a contract offer from the Wings. Since it's apparent he brings in the classic "Greedy Russian" montra, he'll be gone.

I would like to see a guy with some skill that is not afraid to bang and fight.

Good luck with that. No only are there no guys like that available, but there are only about 10 guys like that in the NHL anymore. Its pathetic how few legit power forwards there are in the league anymore.

Good luck with that. No only are there no guys like that available, but there are only about 10 guys like that in the NHL anymore. Its pathetic how few legit power forwards there are in the league anymore.

10? I'd go more like 3, with Darcy Tucker, Nathan Horton, and Raffi Torres. Maybe 4 or 5 if you want to include Scott Hartnell or Jason Arnott.

I've been thinking the same thing, Rock. Hasek's a hockey player, not "just" a goalie. He's been known to make decisions about where he's willing to play based on precisely these criteria in the past, hasn't he? Hence, he wound up in Detroit in 2002, because he believed/knew the Sabres were not built to win. He was correct about that.

It concerns me, too, that Hasek has a much better viewpoint than we do - being a seasoned professional hockey player who know what it takes to win - in terms of the team and coaching and the actual potential to win it all. I am sure he loved the Wings, but he also has a life and his own situation to consider. Does he want to come back, uproot the family another time, play for less than he is worth (which would please many fans) and not believe he can win?

Is he waiting to see who stays, goes, or is added, before he re-ups? Maybe. :unsure: I do think he will retire if he doesn't play for Detroit, however. Can't see him going elsewhere.

Markov rejected a contract offer from the Wings. Since it's apparent he brings in the classic "Greedy Russian" montra, he'll be gone.

you're probably right. I like Markov, wish he would stay a Wing.

Has anybody else thought of the possibility of signing Hudler strictly for the purpose of trading him at the deadline? Think about it: Say the Wings go with what they have now, maybe they sign 1 more veteran (Guerin, Comrie, etc). That still only leaves them with 5 top 6 forwards (Hank, Homer, Datsyuk, Flip, UFA). That means that there will more time available for a guy like Hudler to put up more points. If hes able to put up 15 goals with crappy ice time, he could probably put up 20 with a couple more minutes and maybe some Powerplay time over 82 games. If hes signed to maybe a 2 year contract for under 1M, he could be an extremely tradeable asset come February. He is a skilled forward, but Detroit already has Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Filppula who'll be with the Wings for a long time. Hes small, and the Wings need size. He doesnt offer much grit either, but an out of the running team would see a young player with enough talent to score some goals and a cheap contract that he might be worth a decent player packaged with a pick or two.

Hudler: 800k

Guerin: 3

Hasek: 2.5

Total = 6.3M, leaving about 4M as a cushion.

Has anybody else thought of the possibility of signing Hudler strictly for the purpose of trading him at the deadline? Think about it: Say the Wings go with what they have now, maybe they sign 1 more veteran (Guerin, Comrie, etc). That still only leaves them with 5 top 6 forwards (Hank, Homer, Datsyuk, Flip, UFA). That means that there will more time available for a guy like Hudler to put up more points. If hes able to put up 15 goals with crappy ice time, he could probably put up 20 with a couple more minutes and maybe some Powerplay time over 82 games. If hes signed to maybe a 2 year contract for under 1M, he could be an extremely tradeable asset come February. He is a skilled forward, but Detroit already has Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Filppula who'll be with the Wings for a long time. Hes small, and the Wings need size. He doesnt offer much grit either, but an out of the running team would see a young player with enough talent to score some goals and a cheap contract that he might be worth a decent player packaged with a pick or two.

would not surprise me to see them trade Hudler, and I don't know that it wouldn't be better for Jiri if they did. I swear Babcock doesn't like the kid -- though I have no real reason to say that aside from the times he didn't play Hudler when it seemed to be a perfect opportunity to do so.

No Guerin, please. He made me cringe when he was with Dallas. They couldn't wait to say goodbye to him and his contract. Comrie, yeah, OK to him.

YoungGuns- The problem with that theory is if Hudler is playing well enough to the point he garners a real good return in trade, then most likely Holland wouldnt even trade him in the first place. We know Holland has zero problem with having too many finesse guys...so he wouldnt move Hudler if he were playing good. He only moves roster players that arent doing well like Williams.

I would:

SIgn Yashin

Trade for Fedorov

Sign Belfour

Sign Lang

Sign Forseberg

cant have enough centers.

and yell F*** the cap to Bettman. :P

then on continuing on my rampage I would would Sign Schneider, Souray, and who ever else I can get my filthy hands on.

oh yeah cant for get KOZZZZZZZZIIIE

lol, acutally I would never sign any of these players but a select few

Edited by Hockey13Playa

I really like that one. But anyway it won't happen because we're still playing the waiting game while Guerin will be picked up in the next 48 Hours for sure. Kozlov re-signed with Atlanta which leaves Guerin the #1 forward out there, 3.0 seems quite optimistic on that one.

I really like that one. But anyway it won't happen because we're still playing the waiting game while Guerin will be picked up in the next 48 Hours for sure. Kozlov re-signed with Atlanta which leaves Guerin the #1 forward out there, 3.0 seems quite optimistic on that one.

Yeah theres been a few rumors that Ottawa and Toronto have offered him some contracts.

I'd like to have him on Detroit, I know hes getting somewhat old, but damn hes still decent for his age, and scored 30+ goals this past season with the Blues/Sharks.

YoungGuns- The problem with that theory is if Hudler is playing well enough to the point he garners a real good return in trade, then most likely Holland wouldnt even trade him in the first place. We know Holland has zero problem with having too many finesse guys...so he wouldnt move Hudler if he were playing good. He only moves roster players that arent doing well like Williams.

This is true, but I got to thinking about the deadline, and I cant think of another guy the Wings could possibly trade who would actually garner anything in return. Kronwall, Hank, Homer, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Filppula - all of these guys wont be traded for one reason or another. All the other guys that we have wont garner anything of worth..except for Hudler if he does well.

I understand what youre saying about Holland not wanting to trade Hudler, but Babcock sure as hell isnt his biggest fan, and seems to be one of the few that recognizes that Hudlers size really IS an issue. Maybe Babcock will help push to trade Hudler.

Yeah theres been a few rumors that Ottawa and Toronto have offered him some contracts.

I'd like to have him on Detroit, I know hes getting somewhat old, but damn hes still decent for his age, and scored 30+ goals this past season with the Blues/Sharks.

Hed be my number 1 choice on a 1 year contract. I like the way Holland is thinking, though. Whoever we get we should only sign to a 1 year contract. If Lidstrom retires AND the cap goes up next year, well have a decent chunk of change to spend, and although half of them will probably get re-signed before they become UFAs, the likes of Redden, Boyle, Hossa, Heatley, Marleau, Rolston, Fisher, Naslund, Cooke, Kunitz, Sundin, etc make the next UFA more suited for the Wings needs than this year.