• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

slapshot_34

If You Were Ken Holland This Off-Season?

Rate this topic

This is true, but I got to thinking about the deadline, and I cant think of another guy the Wings could possibly trade who would actually garner anything in return. Kronwall, Hank, Homer, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Filppula - all of these guys wont be traded for one reason or another. All the other guys that we have wont garner anything of worth..except for Hudler if he does well.

I understand what youre saying about Holland not wanting to trade Hudler, but Babcock sure as hell isnt his biggest fan, and seems to be one of the few that recognizes that Hudlers size really IS an issue. Maybe Babcock will help push to trade Hudler.

Hed be my number 1 choice on a 1 year contract. I like the way Holland is thinking, though. Whoever we get we should only sign to a 1 year contract. If Lidstrom retires AND the cap goes up next year, well have a decent chunk of change to spend, and although half of them will probably get re-signed before they become UFAs, the likes of Redden, Boyle, Hossa, Heatley, Marleau, Rolston, Fisher, Naslund, Cooke, Kunitz, Sundin, etc make the next UFA more suited for the Wings needs than this year.

That is true, and when you look at it from that perspective, its the smart thing to do. If Detorit could land Hossa, Heatly, someone of that caliber, damn watch out NHL. That would be really good for Detroit. So now that you say a one year contract, I agree. Just sign Guerin ( perferibly) to like a one year contract for 2.5 million.

Holland prob. wont pick up anyone until the day before training camp where our options will be pretty limited to say the least. Probably still wont have Hasek signed.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Just sign Guerin ( perferibly) to like a one year contract for 2.5 million.

There is about 8 million left and only Hasek, a forward and maybe a depth defensman to sign. If you really want to go for Guerin on a one year deal, you might as well throw some cash at him. The Islanders and some others teams got their pockets full and seem quite desperate to sign somebody like him. No chance we can grab him at 2.5.

Edited by captainsubtext

There is about 8 million left and only Hasek, a forward and maybe a depth defensman to sign. If you really want to go for Guerin on a one year deal, you might as well throw some cash at him. The Islanders and some others teams got their pockets full and seem quite desperate to sign somebody like him. No chance we can grab him at 2.5.

Yeah I guess we can throw some cash at him. Just not anything to ridiculous. We need to save some money to use later on at the trade deadline. But if we can't sign him for that cheap, maybe throw some incentives in or ad another million in at tops (3.5m) I wouldn't pay him more then that, he doesn't deserve it.

I'm getting so freakin irritated at the lack of buzz involving the Wings, considering we have so much cap space remaining. I hope Holland "knows" what he's doing.

I hear ya man. I am the same way, I mean if we were fans of the Panthers or something I could understand, but were the wings, what happend to the rumors that linked us to signing everyone :lol:

Those were the days.

Guest Crymson

Holland prob. wont pick up anyone until the day before training camp where our options will be pretty limited to say the least. Probably still wont have Hasek signed.

Thank you, Mr. Negative. Why not just go cry in the corner already instead of doing it here?

Thank you, Mr. Negative. Why not just go cry in the corner already instead of doing it here?

That really wasn't all that negative; you know what's lgw negative.

And besides, it's probably true on the who-next signing. It's already late in the game. Kenny won't pick up anyone major aside from Dom.

I'm getting so freakin irritated at the lack of buzz involving the Wings, considering we have so much cap space remaining. I hope Holland "knows" what he's doing.

yea no kidding. seems like everyone is making big moves and filling spots except for the wings. Sure they picked up rafalski, but only because schneider was on the way out. Although if we dont pick up anyone else, look at our team right now. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are dominating more than ever, cleary was great in the playoffs Filpulla, imo, looks VERY promising, and grigorenko is FINALLY making his debut.

well, at this point I would sign Hasek for about the same you mentioned, and pick up a top six forward. My top picks would have been Kozzie and Shanny but they're all but signed. Options now are Yashin, Saprykin, Guerin, and Asham.

I read the last 4 names and my head hurt. If those are the type of guys Holland's left looking to sign ...

Kick my own ass for losing 5 out 6 of our own FA's (two by choice, I know)... then complain to the media about the price and years that everyone wanted. Then prepare for the the end of the year speech where I talk about adding more grit in the off-season and all the power play opportunities we squandered.

:clap: Ken Holland in a nutshell. And I too figure he might be getting his yearly speech ready to use any day now, too. Edited by motorcitykid

Arron Asham would be a great pickup for the Wings. Obviously you don't watch any other teams beside's Detroit. Otherwise, you would know this.

Might drop his gloves, can't score much and barely able to crack most NHL team's 4th line. Was there another A. Asham you were referring to?

Might drop his gloves, can't score much and barely able to crack most NHL team's 4th line. Was there another A. Asham you were referring to?

He scored 11 goals last season on the Islanders 4th line. That's pretty good in my opinion, for a guy that is primarily a fighter.

Put him on a line with Filppula, and you have yourself a makeshift 20 goal scorer. And, one that doesn't suck either, like Samulesson or Williams.

His offense isn't what's important. The fact that the Wings could finally sign someone with size and the ability to drop the gloves and defend his teammates is the most important thing. This is really why I'm pushing for Asham, and hope Holland gets his head out of his ass and signs him.

OK so we need 1, more likely 2 wingers filling out at least 1 position in the top 6. We have yet to address the scoring issue, yet you want to sign another 4th line depth guy cause he fights? Cmon.

OK so we need 1, more likely 2 wingers filling out at least 1 position in the top 6. We have yet to address the scoring issue, yet you want to sign another 4th line depth guy cause he fights? Cmon.

Would you have preferred Holland gave Briere a 10 million a year contract like Philly did?

Situation: If Holland signs one of the big name free agents, Zetterberg is as good as gone in a few years. Are you willing to make that sacrifice?

I'm not backing Holland completely, but I'm glad he didn't make any huge signings, because he would have overpaid up the ass, big time. The only decent, top 6 forwards want a lot of money, and come when Zetterberg is a free agent, they will no longer have the money to re-sign him. And I don't know about you, but I consider Zetterberg a lot more valuable then Daniel Briere.

If you want a top 6 forward so badly, then you're going to have to settle for Bill Guerin. That's the only decent name left.

It's easy to sit here and say what should and shouldn't have been done, but let's be real here. All of the big name top 6 forwards were all majorly overpaid. Put yourself in Hollands shoes. Would you have signed any of those guys for what they were asking? Briere for 10 million a season? Drury for 8 million? Those are ridiculous prices. Consider this when Joe Thornton, who blows both of those two out of the water entirly, is only making 7 million a season.

My only beef with Holland is he missed out on Ryan Smyth. He would have been great here. I really don't think Holland was pursuing him all that much, and that really angers me. He is exactly what the Wings need. Not re-signing Jiri Hudler.

But still though, this is all easier said then done. There are no good top 6 forwards left, except Bill Guerin, who I don't see coming here. So, I want Asham. At least he addresses one of the Wings many needs right now.

Guest bullockz

ruutu for a 4th rounder LMAO

it would take alot more then just 2.5 to take penner away

we got 8 million left ? you want penner , itll take a 6-7 yr deal at 4-4.5 per ( which id might consider doing if we didnt have to now add rafalski's high salary to the team)

hasek 2.5

penner 4.5

simon 1

thats 2 big nasty guys on the team

need more cap room for hudler and a upgrade over lilja ?? trade samuelsson thats an extra 2.2 , sign hudler at 700 k .......have lidstrom call aaron miller and convince him to take a 1 yr 1.5 deal to help us win the cup

filppula datsyuk penner

hudler zetterberg holmstrom

franzen cleary grigorenko

simon draper maltby

kopecky

lidstrom miller

rafalski kronwall

lebda chelios

meech

hasek

ozzie

more realistically ......

sign hasek 2.5

sign hudler 750 k

4.75 cap remaining

sign bill guerin 4 mill per for 2 yrs

trade lilja , and bring in miller for 1.75 1 yr

meech isn't signed dude. and might not be.