• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

I constantly see Sammy or the Mule up on the first two lines with Cleary back on the checking line. Cleary plays fine in a checking role, but remember how well he played in the post season? I think he's more then earned a top two spot:

Cleary-Zetterberg-Holmstrom
Filppula-Datsyuk-Grigorenko
Maltby-Draper-Franzen
Kopecky-Hudler-Samuelsson

Huds isn't alien to playing centre, and he's small which apparently makes him a better centre then a winger in the new NHL tongue.gif

Cleary and Holmer are great drive to the net, grit players. I'd love to see Dats and Z together, but let's pretend they're starting seperated. Filp and Dats played well together when Z was hurt, so let them keep going, with the Russian prospect given a chance to shine.

Sammie had a few good moments in the playoffs, but face it- he's not a top line player.

What do you guys think?
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#2 wingsfan40

wingsfan40

Zetterberg: Simply Impresses Everytime He's On The Ice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

I like the idea of putting him on the top two lines but mine would go like this...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Cleary-Filppula-Grigorenko
Maltby-Draper-Franzen

Just a slight tweak because i love our top line biggrin.gif

#3 Agalloch

Agalloch

1st Line Sniper

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

I find the fact that a lot of people except Grigorenko to come in and be a top six forward a little bit more odd.

#4 wingsfan40

wingsfan40

Zetterberg: Simply Impresses Everytime He's On The Ice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(Agalloch @ July 4, 2007 - 08:50AM) View Post

I find the fact that a lot of people except Grigorenko to come in and be a top six forward a little bit more odd.

If I had it my way, we would pick up Kozlov and put hm in Grigs spot. Then put grigs in sammys spot. Then finally Eliminate Sammy from the wings FOREVER ph34r.gif

#5 Henkka

Henkka

Finnish Wing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

Cleary can play each line. I'd put him with Filppula to 3rd to get the offence deeper. And Cleary is a lock for 2nd PP unit screener's role. Homer is the obvious 1st PP unit screener.
user posted imageuser posted image

#6 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(Agalloch @ July 4, 2007 - 10:50AM) View Post

I agree. Why would he be on the 2nd line when he's never really been in the NHL before.

Considering we don't have a 2nd line, I say everyone just moves up one, and we built a 4th line since that's all that's left right now.

Posted Image

#7 Cicada

Cicada

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

Clearys streaky.
i've got no problem with playing him up there when he's scoring, but i like the fact he can play a checking role when he's not scoring.
IPB Image

#8 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

Cleary>Sammy... cleary works for the puck. sammy would throw the puck at the net if he was sitting on the bench. thats all he does is flick weak shots at the net. I would def put danny on the 2nd line if we don't pick someone else up

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#9 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:45 AM

Cleary's goal production is just too much up in the air to pencil him in as your second line winger. He could just as easily drop down to 10 goals next season (which theres nothing wrong with)and i dont think anybody would really be shocked. He has to have another big year.
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#10 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(Lou_Siffer @ July 4, 2007 - 11:45AM) View Post

Cleary's goal production is just too much up in the air to pencil him in as your second line winger. He could just as easily drop down to 10 goals next season (which theres nothing wrong with)and i dont think anybody would really be shocked. He has to have another big year.

I agree, but I do think Cleary will do well. I think he could earn a 2nd line spot as the year went on. Especially since we have no forwards now.

Posted Image

#11 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

He's earned a spot on the 2nd line. He can score 30+ goals with Zetterberg feeding him the puck

#NOMOREKINDL

#12 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:58 AM

Lets not forget Cleary was a really good player in junior and was a high draft pick. He seems he has found himself here in Detroit and maybe he is going to finally live up to all his potential.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#13 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:02 AM

Anyway, it's not like lines are SET IN STONE. Try him up top, if he doesn't work, move him to a grinder.

Posted Image

#14 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

Its common sense to me that Babs would do it. He scored 20 goals with Lang and Draper. Can you imagine the damage he'd make with Zetterberg , Im thinking 30 goals

#NOMOREKINDL

#15 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(Drake_Marcus @ July 4, 2007 - 08:45AM) View Post

I constantly see Sammy or the Mule up on the first two lines with Cleary back on the checking line. Cleary plays fine in a checking role, but remember how well he played in the post season? I think he's more then earned a top two spot:

Cleary-Zetterberg-Holmstrom
Filppula-Datsyuk-Grigorenko
Maltby-Draper-Franzen

Huds isn't alien to playing centre, and he's small which apparently makes him a better centre then a winger in the new NHL tongue.gif

Cleary and Holmer are great drive to the net, grit players. I'd love to see Dats and Z together, but let's pretend they're starting seperated. Filp and Dats played well together when Z was hurt, so let them keep going, with the Russian prospect given a chance to shine.

Sammie had a few good moments in the playoffs, but face it- he's not a top line player.

What do you guys think?

Cleary will be on the 2nd line. He proved beyond a shadow of a doubt in the playoffs that he's too useful to be placed anywhere else.

#16 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

I don't think Cleary is a 2nd-line forward. However, as someone said, we don't really have a second line. We have 2 "Top 6" forwards and a ton of 3rd- and 4th-line guys. Holmstrom's a third-line type guy who plays really well with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, and who has improved his overall game enough that he can play on a top line. For Cleary, the mid-season stretch where he got almost all of his points was great--the net must have looked like a soccer goal--but he started and finished slow. He's a great energy guy who never takes a shift off and, if he's hot like that again, can play some top line, but not all year. Draper seems to have regained his lack-of-scoring-touch since the lockout, keeping him at 3rd line center where he excels. Filppula should develop into a 2nd-line guy, but he's not quite ready yet. Franzen is better suited to a 3rd-line style but could also be moved up. Who's left, Samuelsson? None of the other guys are 2nd-liners (Hudler may not be back, which would end that debate). While Lang had to go, his departure--along with Bertuzzi's--leaves a HUGE hole.

#17 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(Crymson @ July 4, 2007 - 12:46PM) View Post

He proved beyond a shadow of a doubt in the playoffs that he's too useful to be placed anywhere else.

Bit of an overstatement, I think.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#18 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE(Dabura @ July 4, 2007 - 11:09AM) View Post

Bit of an overstatement, I think.

Why do you say this? When put on scoring lines and the power play, Cleary cleaned up. He lead everyone in points in the Anaheim series etc., PLUS he hits and he's gritty. Isn't that what people want on the top lines?

#19 Flip-check

Flip-check

kicking ass and taking Cups

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE(wingsfan40 @ July 4, 2007 - 10:50AM) View Post

I like the idea of putting him on the top two lines but mine would go like this...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Cleary-Filppula-Grigorenko
Maltby-Draper-Franzen

Just a slight tweak because i love our top line biggrin.gif

As much as I like Dats and Hank (like pb&j, you know), I really want them split up and to produce on their own. We're lucky to be a playoff team... so basically, the regular season is just practice for us (what a thought, huh? hahahaha)

We'll need that come April. And I hope Offsides is right about Cleary, the guy's got major heart for sure--_that_ I don't think will go away.

No, it's definitely excitement.

#20 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE(Crymson @ July 4, 2007 - 12:11PM) View Post

Why do you say this? When put on scoring lines and the power play, Cleary cleaned up. He lead everyone in points in the Anaheim series etc., PLUS he hits and he's gritty. Isn't that what people want on the top lines?

He also failed to score a single goal from Feb 2nd to April 21st.

Posted Image