• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Why not Cleary on the top two lines?

Rate this topic

I constantly see Sammy or the Mule up on the first two lines with Cleary back on the checking line. Cleary plays fine in a checking role, but remember how well he played in the post season? I think he's more then earned a top two spot:

Cleary-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Filppula-Datsyuk-Grigorenko

Maltby-Draper-Franzen

Kopecky-Hudler-Samuelsson

Huds isn't alien to playing centre, and he's small which apparently makes him a better centre then a winger in the new NHL :P

Cleary and Holmer are great drive to the net, grit players. I'd love to see Dats and Z together, but let's pretend they're starting seperated. Filp and Dats played well together when Z was hurt, so let them keep going, with the Russian prospect given a chance to shine.

Sammie had a few good moments in the playoffs, but face it- he's not a top line player.

What do you guys think?

I like the idea of putting him on the top two lines but mine would go like this...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Cleary-Filppula-Grigorenko

Maltby-Draper-Franzen

Just a slight tweak because i love our top line :D

Guest Agalloch

I find the fact that a lot of people except Grigorenko to come in and be a top six forward a little bit more odd.

I find the fact that a lot of people except Grigorenko to come in and be a top six forward a little bit more odd.

If I had it my way, we would pick up Kozlov and put hm in Grigs spot. Then put grigs in sammys spot. Then finally Eliminate Sammy from the wings FOREVER :ph34r:

Cleary can play each line. I'd put him with Filppula to 3rd to get the offence deeper. And Cleary is a lock for 2nd PP unit screener's role. Homer is the obvious 1st PP unit screener.

I agree. Why would he be on the 2nd line when he's never really been in the NHL before.

Considering we don't have a 2nd line, I say everyone just moves up one, and we built a 4th line since that's all that's left right now.

Clearys streaky.

i've got no problem with playing him up there when he's scoring, but i like the fact he can play a checking role when he's not scoring.

Cleary>Sammy... cleary works for the puck. sammy would throw the puck at the net if he was sitting on the bench. thats all he does is flick weak shots at the net. I would def put danny on the 2nd line if we don't pick someone else up

Cleary's goal production is just too much up in the air to pencil him in as your second line winger. He could just as easily drop down to 10 goals next season (which theres nothing wrong with)and i dont think anybody would really be shocked. He has to have another big year.

Cleary's goal production is just too much up in the air to pencil him in as your second line winger. He could just as easily drop down to 10 goals next season (which theres nothing wrong with)and i dont think anybody would really be shocked. He has to have another big year.

I agree, but I do think Cleary will do well. I think he could earn a 2nd line spot as the year went on. Especially since we have no forwards now.

Guest Crymson

I constantly see Sammy or the Mule up on the first two lines with Cleary back on the checking line. Cleary plays fine in a checking role, but remember how well he played in the post season? I think he's more then earned a top two spot:

Cleary-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Filppula-Datsyuk-Grigorenko

Maltby-Draper-Franzen

Huds isn't alien to playing centre, and he's small which apparently makes him a better centre then a winger in the new NHL :P

Cleary and Holmer are great drive to the net, grit players. I'd love to see Dats and Z together, but let's pretend they're starting seperated. Filp and Dats played well together when Z was hurt, so let them keep going, with the Russian prospect given a chance to shine.

Sammie had a few good moments in the playoffs, but face it- he's not a top line player.

What do you guys think?

Cleary will be on the 2nd line. He proved beyond a shadow of a doubt in the playoffs that he's too useful to be placed anywhere else.

I don't think Cleary is a 2nd-line forward. However, as someone said, we don't really have a second line. We have 2 "Top 6" forwards and a ton of 3rd- and 4th-line guys. Holmstrom's a third-line type guy who plays really well with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, and who has improved his overall game enough that he can play on a top line. For Cleary, the mid-season stretch where he got almost all of his points was great--the net must have looked like a soccer goal--but he started and finished slow. He's a great energy guy who never takes a shift off and, if he's hot like that again, can play some top line, but not all year. Draper seems to have regained his lack-of-scoring-touch since the lockout, keeping him at 3rd line center where he excels. Filppula should develop into a 2nd-line guy, but he's not quite ready yet. Franzen is better suited to a 3rd-line style but could also be moved up. Who's left, Samuelsson? None of the other guys are 2nd-liners (Hudler may not be back, which would end that debate). While Lang had to go, his departure--along with Bertuzzi's--leaves a HUGE hole.

Guest Crymson

Bit of an overstatement, I think.

Why do you say this? When put on scoring lines and the power play, Cleary cleaned up. He lead everyone in points in the Anaheim series etc., PLUS he hits and he's gritty. Isn't that what people want on the top lines?

I like the idea of putting him on the top two lines but mine would go like this...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Cleary-Filppula-Grigorenko

Maltby-Draper-Franzen

Just a slight tweak because i love our top line :D

As much as I like Dats and Hank (like pb&j, you know), I really want them split up and to produce on their own. We're lucky to be a playoff team... so basically, the regular season is just practice for us (what a thought, huh? hahahaha)

We'll need that come April. And I hope Offsides is right about Cleary, the guy's got major heart for sure--_that_ I don't think will go away.

Why do you say this? When put on scoring lines and the power play, Cleary cleaned up. He lead everyone in points in the Anaheim series etc., PLUS he hits and he's gritty. Isn't that what people want on the top lines?

He also failed to score a single goal from Feb 2nd to April 21st.

In all likelihood, Clearly will spend time on the second line this season. I just don't agree with the idea that he's too valuable to be placed anywhere else. If he puts in two or three bang-up seasons, I'll agree.

Edited by Dabura

I don't think Cleary is a 2nd-line forward. However, as someone said, we don't really have a second line. We have 2 "Top 6" forwards and a ton of 3rd- and 4th-line guys. Holmstrom's a third-line type guy who plays really well with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, and who has improved his overall game enough that he can play on a top line. For Cleary, the mid-season stretch where he got almost all of his points was great--the net must have looked like a soccer goal--but he started and finished slow. He's a great energy guy who never takes a shift off and, if he's hot like that again, can play some top line, but not all year. Draper seems to have regained his lack-of-scoring-touch since the lockout, keeping him at 3rd line center where he excels. Filppula should develop into a 2nd-line guy, but he's not quite ready yet. Franzen is better suited to a 3rd-line style but could also be moved up. Who's left, Samuelsson? None of the other guys are 2nd-liners (Hudler may not be back, which would end that debate). While Lang had to go, his departure--along with Bertuzzi's--leaves a HUGE hole.

Did you see the playoffs?!?

Cleary was an MVP candidate based on the playoffs this year. He was clutch and our most consistent worker as well as a fricking grit-machine.

Guest Crymson

He also failed to score a single goal from Feb 2nd to April 21st.

He was also out with injury for a significant portion of that time, and was presumably still slightly injured when he returned. Check your data.

Also check the fact that he was playing with Lang and Williams. Lang went into the most shameful, disgraceful slump I've seen in my life, whilst we all know that Williams sucks. Cleary would hustle all over the ice, hitting, driving the net etc., whilst Williams would take moronic shots and Lang would give the puck away. I believe we have been over this in the past.

Edited by Crymson

I like Cleary. Hes a great guy. Love having him play here and its awesome that hes had such a big year...

BUT

Hes simply not a 2nd line player. Kris Draper put up 24 goals one time too, remember? One good year does not a 2nd line player maker.